Robocalls on the rocks, SHAKEN and STIRred - FCC pushes for end of Robocalls OR ELSE

rcmaehl

Source:

FCC

Engadget

Summary:

FCC is pushing for adoption of the SHAKEN/STIR framework which would validate call sources before reaching the callee. The FCC is threatening... "something"... if carriers don't comply.

Quotes/Excerpts:

The FCC chairman has demanded the adoption of a robust call authentication system to prevent caller ID spoofing, telling American carriers to implement the technology no later than 2019. Letters to the CEOs of 14 voice providers to ask them to conjure up concrete plans to adopt the SHAKEN/STIR framework. "Combatting illegal robocalls is our top consumer priority at the FCC. That's why we need call authentication to become a reality" If it doesn't seem like the call authentication system is on track to get up and running by 2019, the FCC will take action. Pai didn't elaborate on what the FCC will do. The agency says it "stands ready to ensure widespread deployment to hit this important technological milestone." Caller ID spoofing is a massive problem in the country, and the FCC has been trying to squash the practice for years now. Earlier this year, it slapped a Miami resident responsible for over 96 million robocalls with a $120 million fine. 

My Thoughts:

While I'm more than ready for this, not everyone is. This is extremely likely kill off backwards compatibility for older phones, potentially even fax machines. Regardless, 95% of my calls are robocalls/spam so I'm more than hyped for this.

Edited by rcmaehl
Minor Edits Due to Reader Feedback

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

YOUR VEHICLES EXTENDED WARRANTY- 

THANK YOU FOR STAYING AT MARRIOTT HOTELS-

OBAMACARE ENROLLMENT IS NOW OPEN- 

YOU QUALIFY FOR COMPLETE FORGIVENESS ON YOUR STUDENT LOANS-

Not even a fucking real person to talk to, troll, or threaten anymore. Spoofed numbers you can't spam. Angry people calling these numbers back not understanding the spoof part. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

6 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

YOUR VEHICLES EXTENDED WARRANTY- 

Same day as I got a brand new car.

"you vehicles warranty is about to expire, you can extend it up to another 5 year, bla bla bla"

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Yes please. One of the spam callers with similar numbers to mine called me and I trolled and texted them hi. Now I get like 3-4 a day....

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

A LEGAL ACTION HAS BEEN PLACED ON YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. PRESS 1 NOW TO SPEAK TO AN OFFICER

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

alternate gags:

• "Unfortunate Road Accident"
  • "Scheduled Doctor's Visit after Dinner"
  • "Surprise Shark Attack on Vessel"
  • "Unannounced Rocket Trip to Nowhere"
  • "Ruled Misadventure During Bed Activity"
  • "Fatal Umbrella Allergy"

Could also go with "mugging where nothing was stolen".

Bonus points to anyone who gets that reference.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Holy fuck balls, the amount of Democratic party robo-calls I've gotten this past couple weeks has been ridiculous, on top of the free cruises and everything else. This would be amazing. Because I cannot really afford to change my number often. It takes a lot of time to reauthenticate all of my accounts with a new number. But holy hell.

Another thing that would help, is if companies STOPPED SELLING OUR FREAKING DATA!!!! or in the case of Facebook, giving it away for free.

Yeah, I hope these robocalls are done with once and for all.

I've gotten to where I don't even get up to LOOK at the caller ID on the landline at home (yes my parents still have one).  We just let it go to voicemail, and if it's legitimate they'll usually leave a message, THEN we answer / return the call.

As for my cell phone, it's usually on silent 100% of the time.  And actually, in the back of my mind is the idea of changing to an internet only phone plan so I wouldn't even *HAVE* a phone number.  (How would I do things like 2FA or other things that use a phone number for verification, though...)

One thing I think would be interesting (but realize it'd be quite unlikely) ... is have unsolicited-sales-callers (or whatever term would cover all possibilities) be financially on the hook.  For example, spammer calls you, intending to try to sell something, or whatever financial gain they'd hope for.  Even if you never answer the phone (it'd be traced to them by the phone number), they would owe YOU one thousand percent (that is, 10 TIMES) the money they would have hoped to have in revenue from you in a best-case-to-them scenario. (as in, if you had bought the most expensive of everything they were trying to sell at full list / inflated price, and didn't say no to anything.)  AND, if for whatever reason you DID want something similar to what they were selling, you'd get a longer-than-lifetime free unlimited supply (inheritable by your descendants, and the privilege cloneable unlimited numbers of times to whomever you wanted to gift it to, who in turn could do the same) of the product either from them, or (on the spammer's dime) from the competitor of your choice. :P (The only way the company would get out of it would be to either declare chapter 7, or change ownership and management staff completely cold-turkey (no overlap where they have a new manager of one department working at the same time as an incumbent manager of another department for example) or something like that.)

42 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Holy fuck balls, the amount of Democratic party robo-calls I've gotten this past couple weeks has been ridiculous, on top of the free cruises and everything else. This would be amazing. Because I cannot really afford to change my number often. It takes a lot of time to reauthenticate all of my accounts with a new number. But holy hell.

Another thing that would help, is if companies STOPPED SELLING OUR FREAKING DATA!!!! or in the case of Facebook, giving it away for free.

Worst is the robocall for a candidate in another State. "Yes, voice of a robocall, that's great. Good luck to your candidate, but I'm at least 1000 miles from that jurisdiction."

Having experienced ZERO of this in the UK, i find the amount of people getting spam calls in America hilarious and i'm amazed that this is a thing.

sorry

not sorry :D

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Sounds good to me.  The current phone system is hilariously and pathetically broken and useless.  Anything that can be done to bring it into the 21st century is a welcome change in my opinion.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'm assuming that people aren't using certain apps out there, like Robokiller, to deal with the robo calls. If you haven't heard of Robokiller you should check it out.

Doesn't matter because the FCC and legislature have explicitly wrote themselves out of the law. Anything political in nature is allowed to bypass spam and robocall regulations as long as a human being presses the enter button. So now services exist that sell the capacity for one person to sit in a room and just hit send 1500 times an hour to do the canvasing work of 8 people before hand. These technologies and stretches of the system will only grow in capabilities, and if the FCC actually cracks down on standard robocalls. The robocallers will simply shift over to these methodsincluding political statements that way they can get away with it legally.

Of course few politicians care about closing that terrible horrible loophole, so have fun everyone.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

OK Mr Goverment, when you tell me how to stop spoofed calls from a VOIP service over a VPN please let me know. If you can I will implement it to our network

Man, I'm glad this isn't such a big thing here. Sometimes we get a couple of calls but, it's easy to shake them off.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Please God put my phone out of its' misery. I keep getting calls that are either about chronic pain (which I don't have), Visa/Mastercard rewards (which I don't have) or are entirely in Chinese (which I don't understand.)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I can't relate at all cos I basically never get robocalls.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

10 hours ago, NinJake said:

But I love trolling the scammers...

10 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Yes please. One of the spam callers with similar numbers to mine called me and I trolled and texted them hi. Now I get like 3-4 a day....

I tried that once, and got harassed with multiple robocallls from them afterwards for my trouble.  And to top it off, the whole thing was automated, so I never got to troll anyone. :/ 

7 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

And actually, in the back of my mind is the idea of changing to an internet only phone plan so I wouldn't even *HAVE* a phone number.  (How would I do things like 2FA or other things that use a phone number for verification, though...)

You could use a VOIP line, which would still have an actual number attached to it (though I'm not sure how text messages would be handled).

12 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I tried that once, and got harassed with multiple robocallls from them afterwards for my trouble.  And to top it off, the whole thing was automated, so I never got to troll anyone. :/ 

That's why you do it on your GVoice burner instead.

"Hi... are. You, MR Technical Ben?"

"Hi, are you possibly a recording?"

"I, AM, sorry... I did not understand, that".

"Are you possibly a recording?"

[Phone hangs up].