PC vs Mac

montyrule

the term PC can be confusing because its means two things, Personal Comuter and a computer that conforms to the IBM PC standard (although, computers nowdays are more like the AT, well we should just call them ATXes).

Ever since Mac went to x86, it pretty much became a PC that's a PC :P   A C64, is not a PC, but it is a PC :P

I use PCs. but Windows i the OS I use the most.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

the term PC can be confusing because its means two things, Personal Comuter and a computer that conforms to the IBM PC standard (although, computers nowdays are more like the AT, well we should just call them ATXes).

Ever since Mac went to x86, it pretty much became a PC that's a PC :P   A C64, is not a PC, but it is a PC :P

I use PCs. but Windows i the OS I use the most.

The term PC has nothing to do with what processor or form factor a computer has,  the term was coined to describe ANY computer that only requires one person to operate.  All apple computers are pc's and have been since day one. The C64 is a personal computer, along with the microbee, the vic20 and the z80.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The term PC has nothing to do with what processor or form factor a computer has,  the term was coined to describe ANY computer that only requires one person to operate.  All apple computers are pc's and have been since day one. The C64 is a personal computer, along with the microbee, the vic20 and the z80.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer But then there is IBM PC compatable. There are two meanings to the term. The C64 is a personal computer, but it isn't a PC.

So an old PowerPC imac isn't a "PC" but its a PC. I think thats what everyone sorta gets at with Mac vs PC without really thinking about it, but in reality, Macs now are "PC" compatable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer But then there is IBM PC compatable. There are two meanings to the term. The C64 is a personal computer, but it isn't a PC.

So an old PowerPC imac isn't a "PC" but its a PC. I think thats what everyone sorta gets at with Mac vs PC without really thinking about it, but in reality, Macs now are "PC" compatable

"PC" in the term "IBM PC" simply denotes that it is a personal computer and has anything to do with compatibility. it is simply the descriptor of that product.  PC is frequently dropped when referring to IBM compatible computers, but is retained when referring to single users IBM computers as opposed to the old IBM mainframes.

PC is no more defining of IBM than any other single user computer.  Macs are now IBM compatible, but they were always PC's.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

"PC" in the term "IBM PC" simply denotes that it is a personal computer and has anything to do with compatibility. it is simply the descriptor of that product.  PC is frequently dropped when referring to IBM compatible computers, but is retained when referring to single users IBM computers as opposed to the old IBM mainframes.

PC is no more defining of IBM than any other single user computer.  Macs are now IBM compatible, but they were always PC's.

I'm not saying they weren't PCs, its just that they weren't PCs.

I'm not saying they weren't PCs, its just that they weren't PCs.

you are making no sense.

The only definition of PC is that it is a computer that only requires one person to operate.

PC does NOT mean:

1, that it is affiliated with a company or brand logo

2. that there is a component compatability

3. that there is a system compatibility

4. that it conforms to any one particular form factor

5. that it conforms to any one processors instruction set

IBM compatibility has absolutely nothing to do with the definition of PC.

MACs currently are and were always pc's.  The day apple started using intel x86 chips means nothing, they were pc's before they still are today.  The fact they are physically almost identical to a HP, dell, acer, lenovo etc etc means jack shit. nothing has changed the pc does not refer to anything other than a computer operated by one, uno, single, d'aya, kow, oua, wahid, ehen, had, ita, asa, usiq, cacay person. 

you are making no sense.

The only definition of PC is that it is a computer that only requires one person to operate.

PC does NOT mean:

1, that it is affiliated with a company or brand logo

2. that there is a component compatability

3. that there is a system compatibility

4. that it conforms to any one particular form factor

5. that it conforms to any one processors instruction set

IBM compatibility has absolutely nothing to do with the definition of PC.

MACs currently are and were always pc's.  The day apple started using intel x86 chips means nothing, they were pc's before they still are today.  The fact they are physically almost identical to a HP, dell, acer, lenovo etc etc means jack shit. nothing has changed the pc does not refer to anything other than a computer operated by one, uno, single, d'aya, kow, oua, wahid, ehen, had, ita, asa, usiq, cacay person. 

Macs are always Personal Computers, but They weren't always PC compatible. IBM PC compatibility does have to do with "PC" because of the IBM PC (5150), which was the first Personal Computer with the "IBM PC architecture". From then on pretty much all sofware for IBM PC compatables were pretty much known as PC software. Most software you see labeled as "PC" software is for IBM PC compatibles.

Mac software doesn't call itself PC software. C64 software didn't call itself PC software.

I use a pc because

1.I dont have that much of money to spend on a finished system, I'd rather buy hardware parts and upgrade my PC

2.OS - In school we have those all-in-one macs (I don't even know what they're called) and it was really a pain in the back to switch from Windows to IOS. I grew up with Windows and I don't think that will change in the near future

3.I hate apple </3

>Windows to iOS

1366320877786.png

no it's not. It Might be preferred by the odd one or two home users but majority of studios run windows based protools setups.

Mate i prefer PC offcourse...but the place where i live they generally use Mac for production and the plugins that Mac OS Pro Tools provide are far more better in terms of quality as well versatility... 

Macs are always Personal Computers, but They weren't always PC compatible. IBM PC compatibility does have to do with "PC" because of the IBM PC (5150), which was the first Personal Computer with the "IBM PC architecture". From then on pretty much all sofware for IBM PC compatables were pretty much known as PC software. Most software you see labeled as "PC" software is for IBM PC compatibles.

Mac software doesn't call itself PC software. C64 software didn't call itself PC software.

not originally, nowadays they simply label the software as "pc cd rom" or "PC dvd" because that is convention, but originally they were actually labeled "For IBM compatible PC only" this is because every single computer was universally known as a pc.  I know this because I grew up with the commoadore 64, apple mac, apple IIe and 0x86 IBMs.  

I think the problem might be that you seem to be  confusing  the colloquial naming with the actual definition.  Just like people call all hot tubs Jacuzzi's when in fact the name Jacuzzi is a hot tub manufacturer so not all hotubs are Jacuzzi's.

not originally, nowadays they simply label the software as "pc cd rom" or "PC dvd" because that is convention, but originally they were actually labeled "For IBM compatible PC only" this is because every single computer was universally known as a pc.  I know this because I grew up with the commoadore 64, apple mac, apple IIe and 0x86 IBMs.  

I think the problem might be that you seem to be  confusing  the colloquial naming with the actual definition.  Just like people call all hot tubs Jacuzzi's when in fact the name Jacuzzi is a hot tub manufacturer so not all hotubs are Jacuzzi's.

Did you go and say, hey I'm gonna go play on my PC and then get on the C64? I don't think so. I've never heard anyone call a Mac, Amiga, C64, or ZX Spectrums or anything a PC. 

From what I've seen everything was known as a computer, and the term PC was generally used for IBM PC compatibles. 

Did you go and say, hey I'm gonna go play on my PC and then get on the C64? I don't think so. I've never heard anyone call a Mac, Amiga, C64, or ZX Spectrums or anything a PC. 

From what I've seen everything was known as a computer, and the term PC was generally used for IBM PC compatibles. 

even IBM were just known as computers, no one called anything a pc, we referred to them all as computers only.  All the software we bought for the C64 came with logo at the bottom and simply said c64/128 or IBM compatible or amiga or mac. None ever mentioned PC because they were all pc's and that would be confusing.

The box the c64 came in even said "the personal computer" on it.  The term colloquial term "PC" as a reference for an IBM only really took of in the 90's, because, as I said earlier (many pages ago) apple were running the whole "we're not a pc" campaign.

even IBM were just known as computers, no one called anything a pc, we referred to them all as computers only.  All the software we bought for the C64 came with logo at the bottom and simply said c64/128 or IBM compatible or amiga or mac. None ever mentioned PC because they were all pc's and that would be confusing.

The box the c64 came in even said "the personal computer" on it.  The term colloquial term "PC" as a reference for an IBM only really took of in the 90's, because, as I said earlier (many pages ago) apple were running the whole "we're not a pc" campaign.

Yeah I guess it did take off more in the 90s in the home, but commercially I still think they referred to IBM PC compatibles as PCs. When I look at old commercials for non IBM PC compatibles, I see the term "Home Computer" said a lot more than personal computer.

That makes me wonder the usage of Home computer vs Personal computer from 1980 to 1990.

I use both. What should i vote???

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Yeah I guess it did take off more in the 90s in the home, but commercially I still think they referred to IBM PC compatibles as PCs. When I look at old commercials for non IBM PC compatibles, I see the term "Home Computer" said a lot more than personal computer.

That makes me wonder the usage of Home computer vs Personal computer from 1980 to 1990.

from memory it was just about the marketing, computers in homes was a virgin market and computing was a completely new tool to people, it was very easy to bamboozle new customers and scare them off, so they used what ever term sounded the most technical and awesome without confusing the customer.  In most cases they gave them a name and then just added "home computer" or "personal computer" to the name.

Check the book covers for commodore programming guides for an idea what passed for space aged marketing in those days:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=commodore+programming&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=C8fNUrS4JaT_iAf9j4CwDA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=920#q=commodore+programming+book&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=y6CDhSioVjQ3uM%3A%3BHgshffD0z8wBTM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fblog.signalnoise.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2011%252F09%252FCommodore64_585.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fblog.signalnoise.com%252F2011%252F09%252F27%252Fobsolete-computer-book-covers%252F%3B585%3B849

ah memories :wub:

from memory it was just about the marketing, computers in homes was a virgin market and computing was a completely new tool to people, it was very easy to bamboozle new customers and scare them off, so they used what ever term sounded the most technical and awesome without confusing the customer.  In most cases they gave them a name and then just added "home computer" or "personal computer" to the name.

Check the book covers for commodore programming guides for an idea what passed for space aged marketing in those days:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=commodore+programming&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=C8fNUrS4JaT_iAf9j4CwDA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=920#q=commodore+programming+book&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=y6CDhSioVjQ3uM%3A%3BHgshffD0z8wBTM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fblog.signalnoise.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2011%252F09%252FCommodore64_585.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fblog.signalnoise.com%252F2011%252F09%252F27%252Fobsolete-computer-book-covers%252F%3B585%3B849

ah memories :wub:

LOL that looks like Atari VCS game art, that stuff is the best :P

double post, oh well

Why should anyone argue PC vs Mac when there is Atari box art to post!

atari_2600_phoenix_box.jpg Berzerk.jpg Missile_Command_flyer.jpg

Mac is a PC. A PC is a Personal Computer. Hence the acronym. Is this a trick question? A troll thread perhaps? Or did you simply mean Windows.

Had you said Mac vs Windows that would be different.

I hate macs for the same reason I hate alienware or falcon NW.  So my hate is not exclusive to one overpriced POS.

I also don’t buy macs for the same reason I don’t become a Mormon. I dont buy or join things that are for white people only.

How is race relevant?

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

Mac is a PC. A PC is a Personal Computer. Hence the acronym. Is this a trick question? A troll thread perhaps? Or did you simply mean Windows.

Not a troll. 

A mac nowdays is a personal computer and its PC compatible.

Old PowerPC macs are personal computers, but they are not PC compatible.

Not a troll. 

A mac nowdays is a personal computer and its PC compatible.

Old PowerPC macs are personal computers, but they are not PC compatible.

Older Macs are irrelevant as the question is PC vs Mac TODAY. Not "what did you use back in the day when Macs weren't PC compatible". I know the distinction between PC platforms of old (IBM) and Macs and it has no relevance. Also since both are Personal Computers (even old Macs) their compatibility is also irrelevant. The OP should have said Mac vs Windows.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

I like my PC for gaming. I like my Macbook air for taking it to class. I like my laptop with Linux for development. I believe every OS has its own purpose and should not be compared.

I use a pc because

1.I dont have that much of money to spend on a finished system, I'd rather buy hardware parts and upgrade my PC

2.OS - In school we have those all-in-one macs (I don't even know what they're called) and it was really a pain in the back to switch from Windows to IOS. I grew up with Windows and I don't think that will change in the near future

3.I hate apple </3

Well it looks like your reasoning can be tl;dr'd as "I'm a fanboy", so you're just acting like an idiot. I switch between Windows/Mac OS/Linux very frequently since I own a MBP and a desktop computer running Windows/Linux. I switch to Windows to game, that's it.

If you can't adjust to switching between each of those, then you're stupid. End of story. I switch between Windows/Mac OS/Linux very frequently since I own a MBP and a desktop computer running Windows/Linux. I switch to Windows to game, that's it.

I can't adjust to switching between OSes either, it is not a reflection of intelligence, but a subset executive function.  In fact due to my condition I have had several IQ tests and can guarantee that it has nothing to do with stupidity.

So I'd thank you for not referring to people with specific skill deficiencies as "stupid".

I can't adjust to switching between OSes either, it is not a reflection of intelligence, but a subset executive function.  In fact due to my condition I have had several IQ tests and can guarantee that it has nothing to do with stupidity.

So I'd thank you for not referring to people with specific skill deficiencies as "stupid".

First off, I never intended to generalise. I read someone saying they find it difficult to switch because it's annoying and has a bias towards one of them anyway, not someone that said that at school they were forced to adjust from what they know and due to a disorder they have, found it difficult. I tend to snap at people who give reasons which can be tl;dr'd as "I'm a fanboy" quite quickly.

I'm sorry if this comes off as rude, but the way I see it is that they're similar enough that the idea of not being able to learn both is strange. I had never used Mac OS before I got my MBP and the learning curve was well, not very curvy, so I'm genuinely interested in what would stop someone - I'm guessing the scope is a little broader than something as petty as this. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather be so public about it.

First off, I never intended to generalise. I read someone saying they find it difficult to switch because it's annoying and has a bias towards one of them anyway, not someone that said that at school they were forced to adjust from what they know and due to a disorder they have, found it difficult. I tend to snap at people who give reasons which can be tl;dr'd as "I'm a fanboy" quite quickly.

I'm sorry if this comes off as rude, but the way I see it is that they're similar enough that the idea of not being able to learn both is strange. I had never used Mac OS before I got my MBP and the learning curve was well, not very curvy, so I'm genuinely interested in what would stop someone - I'm guessing the scope is a little broader than something as petty as this. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather be so public about it.

I don't like using Mac OS because stupid little things that do make it hard to switch back and forth, like close buttons on the other side, different file structure, etc.

Sure its usable, but it makes using the other OS slower and more cumbersome than the one the person is used to. That doesn't make anyone stupid.