Huawei launches Mate20 line - At least these notches ain't so notchy

D13H4RD

Huawei consumer business group CEO Richard Yu noted on stage that the Mate 20 X has a larger display and double the battery life of a Nintendo Switch. 

Without all the good games... 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

13 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

It does have 3.5mm. 

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Their specs page mention that this one does include the headphone jack. 

Only the Pro doesn't. 

Didn't see one on the X nor one listed? The mate 20 has it, the mate 20 x didn't seem to and the pro doesn't have it. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Didn't see one on the X nor one listed? The mate 20 has it, the mate 20 x didn't seem to and the pro doesn't have it. 

Well, the specs page also mentioned that the box includes 3.5mm earbuds. 

If they're wrong, they should correct it. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I saw it from spec page.

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/phones/mate20-x/specs/

CONNECTIVITY
802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
Bluetooth supports BLE, SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX HD, LDAC and HWA Audio
Type-C, USB 3.1 GEN1*
3.5 mm earjack
Type-C earjack
PC Data Synchronisation

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Well, the specs page also mentioned that the box includes 3.5mm earbuds. 

If they're wrong, they should correct it. 

Looking at the renders and photos I'm not sure Huawei themselves know tbh because in some of them it seems to have one and in others it doesn't... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Looking at the renders and photos I'm not sure Huawei themselves know tbh because in some of them it seems to have one and in others it doesn't... 

Well, if that's a typo and it doesn't have 3.5mm then i'm not moist anymore. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Here's the TL;DR

5 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Huawei Mate20

Audio: 3.5mm jack

Huawei Mate20 Pro

Audio: No 3.5mm jack

Now you know which one to buy

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Here's the TL;DR

As much as I agree with you, many people don't care, and want better camera and screen. It's a mixed bag, as always with Huawei. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Keep in mind not all models will launch in all markets. I think in many EU countries they'll only launch the Pro forcing you onto the more expensive model.

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Yup, props to Huawei for making this simpler for me. I got HE4XX in shipping, can't wait to try it out. Fuck dongle.

Honestly the not-so-notchy looks so much better but most people aren't talking about it as much. Like I don't want an S9 with an added notch thank you very much.

-------

Current Rig

-------

9 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Good joke.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Welp, as much as I like the phone, I’m probably going to pick a Note9 over this.

Would rather wait for the P or honor series.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I don't care about cameras so I initially completely ignored the press release, then saw people starting to talk about 7.2" screen...

damn.

that Mate 20X is a had turner!

Also seems like huawei is using a new kind of memory card for it's expandable storage solution, it's called nano memory and is as big as a nano sim slot. No words on performance compared to microSD

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I know they wanted Huawei president to make a presentation but damn I never listened so hard to any English trying to even understand it. At one point I thought I understand Chinese, but it was just hard to understand English.

It does pack some really nice features though. The massive battery, ultra fast charging, that reverse wireless charging is freaking neat and I bet Apple will make a big deal out of it in 2-3 years time like they invented it. And I'm a sucker for full glass phones so yeah, I love the design.

I'm just surprised there were no more detailed Kirin 980 performance showcases. Sure they showed better performance in games and how fast apps launch, but it felt like I wasn't being told how awesome Kirin 980 really is. I guess we'll have to wait for reviews...

14 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

now with Chinese knockoff games:

Super Mao:  Shanghai

Legend of Mei: Breath of the Communist revolution

all brought to you by MingTendo

I'm really disappointed that Pro has the big notch :( 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Also seems like huawei is using a new kind of memory card for it's expandable storage solution, it's called nano memory and is as big as a nano sim slot. No words on performance compared to microSD

It's basically a microSD UHS-I card shaped like a nanoSIM. 

Does not appear to be universal though, unfortunately, so we may have to pay up the nose for one. 

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I know they wanted Huawei president to make a presentation but damn I never listened so hard to any English trying to even understand it. At one point I thought I understand Chinese, but it was just hard to understand English.

It does pack some really nice features though. The massive battery, ultra fast charging, that reverse wireless charging is freaking neat and I bet Apple will make a big deal out of it in 2-3 years time like they invented it. And I'm a sucker for full glass phones so yeah, I love the design.

I'm just surprised there were no more detailed Kirin 980 performance showcases. Sure they showed better performance in games and how fast apps launch, but it felt like I wasn't being told how awesome Kirin 980 really is. I guess we'll have to wait for reviews...

I don't know why he insists on doing the presentations himself. I guess the only upside is we avoid the cringy hired presenters trying to hype a product they don't care about although it's odd they can't find a senior product guy from any of their overseas companies. I guess he wants to do it himself because then he knows he gets what he wants even if he's unwittingly difficult to understand. Yeah, I don't think he knows how bad it is and I don't think anyone tells him that. 

The Kirin 980 launch was separate from the Mate 20 launch. Huawei always launches the SoC a month before where the key details are revealed so it's pretty pointless to re-do it in its entirety for a phone launch. You can see it here. I think you expect them to do it like Apple where the SoC and phone launch are one and the same.

3 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Does not appear to be universal though, unfortunately, so we may have to pay up the nose for one. 

Not universal at all. It's a proprietary format meaning the availability is limited and therefore you can expect the prices to be to be in accordance: high. Unless Huawei subsidizes it which I doubt they will. I think they said they wanted it to become an industry standard so there is a willingness to open it up but for it to see widespread adoption? Highly unlikely. UFS cards launched years ago and they're nowhere to be seen.

In other words: a shitty new format to sell new shit. It's a cash grab because they know you now can't use your microSD cards. Same reason they remove the headphone jack: so they can sell you shitty Bluetooth headphones.

Until Huawei stops blocking custom ROMs and other things, I'm gonna recommend that people pass on them.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

getting horrible flashbacks of my Vita

Thank god Vita2SD cards became a thing!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>