Best linux distro..?

I want to dual boot my new laptop a long with Windows 10. Which Linux distro would be a better option.. 

I use Linux just for programming stuff but not use it as a primary OS. 

(not entirely a beginner, I'm aware a bit)

Thank you

It honestly depends on what you want to do? Are you just doing programming that you cannot do in windows or in a Virtual Machine instead of Dual booting? 

How old are you, are you doing this for HS classes or College classes?

Top three would be Ubunutu, then fedora, but theres SO many different distros

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

It honestly depends on what you want to do? Are you just doing programming that you cannot do in windows or in a Virtual Machine instead of Dual booting? 

How old are you, are you doing this for HS classes or College classes?

Top three would be Ubunutu, then fedora, but theres SO many different distros

I guess virtual machine isn't quite an option for me now.. I want to dual boot.. You can say it for college classes but I want to improve my ability for myself so I want to try out programming on Linux 

1 minute ago, Uday_Sama said:

I guess virtual machine isn't quite an option for me now.. I want to dual boot.. You can say it for college classes but I want to improve my ability for myself so I want to try out programming on Linux 

9/10 i would just set up a VM, instead of dualbooting. It honestly doesnt take THAT much resources to do one VM. But if you want to dual boot, MAKE SURE YOU PARTITION IN WINDOWS! Look up how to do it properly, otherwise you will mess up your current OS. We had a few guys in my college class brick their HDD's because of that. 

Ubuntu is the best supported as a desktop environment, but honestly, Linux kinda sucks for desktops. Alot.

I'd look more into FreeBSD.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Arch Linux gives you the most freedom and access to the best application repositories but it's also the most difficult to setup. I would say use Manjaro which is based on arch and one of the more popular distros currently available. It's really gonna come down to preference though. If you have new hardware you can get Manjaro with KDE, Gnome, Budgie. If you are on old hardware then XFCE, Mate, Cinnamon(cinnamon needs a decent gpu). If you want to preconfigured Windows like or mac like experience then you can try the deepin version of Manjaro.

10 minutes ago, Shura said:

Arch Linux gives you the most freedom and access to the best application repositories but it's also the most difficult to setup. I would say use Manjaro which is based on arch and one of the more popular distros currently available. It's really gonna come down to preference though. If you have new hardware you can get Manjaro with KDE, Gnome, Budgie. If you are on old hardware then XFCE, Mate, Cinnamon(cinnamon needs a decent gpu). If you want to preconfigured Windows like or mac like experience then you can try the deepin version of Manjaro.

I'm trying to use it as live cd.. Because I use Linux bit less than Windows.... And I want to frequently try different distros in future.. Is live USB better option for me now.. I hardly use terminal and all

5 minutes ago, Uday_Sama said:

I'm trying to use it as live cd.. Because I use Linux bit less than Windows.... And I want to frequently try different distros in future.. Is live USB better option for me now.. I hardly use terminal and all

Manjaro does have a live cd but keep in mind live cds are created to be more universal, with lots of modules that load during startup, ones that you probably don't need just so its more compatible. Also permissions and user groups are somewhat limited in a live environment. Have you considered installing it in VM? that way you can boot up the virtual machine only when you need it and you can hop around multiple distros without much trouble.

7 hours ago, Uday_Sama said:

Which Linux distro would be a better option.. 

Void. Highly recommendable.

Write in C.

6 hours ago, Shura said:

Arch is only the most difficult to set up if you try to use all that freedom to remove systemd.

I like fedora.  Mint is a popular choice too.  Take a look at opensuse and mageia

I personally would recommend to not use Ubuntu, as in my experience it has been one of the least stable distros, however I would still say that going for something debian based would be a good option, although if you are fluent with Linux, you could move over to something arch based which would give you some added customisation.

Sadness is the one true emotion, and happiness, well, that's just a lie, sadness is all many of us feel, and is all we need to feel, because having it any other way, would just be wrong, why be happy when you can just be miserable like myself. 

I currently using Manjaro Deepin. I personally think it give great out of the box experience with a mix of OSX + Windows. 

Installation is easy, just download Deepin community build from Manjaro website and put it in your pendrive with Rufus or something. 

Use the built-in package manager to update and find softwares, you can enable AUR from package manager option for more bleeding edge softwares since Manjaro is based on Arch. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Antegros (Arch Linux), as a rolling release it has all the best gaming and application support. Playing Overwatch on 70fps locked, no drop now.

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

ubuntu is buggy and slow but pretty and everything is provided out of the box

mint is the same as ubuntu but much faster thanks to cinnamon. One drawback is customizing cinnamon often results in bugs. I remember the transparent panel plugin error every time when the desktop starts.

manjaro is just meh. it is one of the most bug free distro and everything is pretty provided and worked out of the box. however, the xfce desktop is a bit lacking and split screen doesnt function very well. I need to often retry several times to position split screen correctly

i will try out debian, arch, and finally fedora before quitting distro hopping. 

Other more obscure distros ive tried include deepin.

For those who think it is spyware, why dont you read its source code and point me the spying lines of code if you so smart

https://www.openhub.net/p/linuxdeepin

It is aweome at first but after a while, i simply got tired of its pretty mac like desktop. Cub linux is another one which is an utterly broken distro, dont tried this garbage.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 10/14/2018 at 8:16 PM, Uday_Sama said:

I want to dual boot my new laptop a long with Windows 10. Which Linux distro would be a better option.. 

Thank you

Mint, Ubuntu, Arch, Fedora, and Debian are all pretty good. Manjaro is pretty good as well, if a little buggy

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

9 hours ago, wasab said:

i will try out debian, arch, and finally fedora before quitting distro hopping. 

I think solyd or tanglu should be pretty good as far as stability goes.  Fedora's for me, but because they use such new packages- it's not rock solid.  Arch isn't going to be much different than what you're using.  Opensuse may be worth checking too

[content removed]

Substance fww:

You will most likely not want to use CentOS.  CentOS kernel is frozen at 3.10 and fixes are back ported.  Maybe you'll want to try linux from scratch.  It's a great learning experience and you'll definitely improve your bash chops. 

That said I would recommend something like mint or fedora.  

I would also recommend buying a cheap 120gb ssd and install linux on that, don't bother with the dual boot madness., I'm pretty sure other folks have gotten it to work fine but I've just dodged the whole process. I have a t420s that has windows 10 and linux mint, I think it's 17, installed on separate drives.  

Edited by SansVarnic

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2018 at 5:16 AM, Uday_Sama said:

Thank you

If you're running UEFI with SecureBoot, Fedora. Works like a charm if your hardware is fully supported.

“For if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.” 
― Barack Obama

Tech:

Daily Driver: MacBook Pro 15" TB (mid-2018), Intel Core i7-8850H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 512 GB SSD, AMD Radeon Pro 560XWeight lifting: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz SK Hynix, Nvidia GTX 1070 on 15" 1080p TN Gsync 120Hz, Intel Pro 7600p PCIe NVMe 256 GB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 15" 1920x1080 TN Gsync 120Hz, Windows 10 Pro, Fedora 30, K.L, P.OS. The Home Panel: Samsung C34H892, 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440p, VA, 60Hz.

Tumblr - Riot-Company, CA