Mac Pro can be used sideways

Cosmos_i7

Edit: Just to clarify this isn't a negative thread about the Mac Pro or "trashcan" as many say, call me crazy but I use Apple products daily. I am merely pointing out a statement Apple said which in my opinion is not a good idea. 

Apple states its fine to use your new Mac Pro sideways. 

Apple designed the Mac Pro to work in both vertical and horizontal positions, and it says it’s fine to use the machine on its side — as long as you take some simple precautions first.

Ok so what are these precautions?

Ensure there’s plenty of room for your Mac Pro to breathe, and that it’s secured sufficiently so that it doesn’t roll around

Secured so it doesn't roll around? Do we have to put a string on it or something? But my favourite bit is this:

You’ll also need to ensure that if you’re using multiple Mac Pros, the exhaust on the top of one isn’t pointed towards the intake of another.

Guys don't stack your Mac Pros together, not a good idea.

Seriously Apple? The Mac Pro can be used sideways doesn't mean it should! Who thought it was a good idea? It was only a few weeks ago when The Verge had the Mac rolling on the desk. 
As you may notice I do own some Apple products, and before I got my Hackintosh I used an iMac. However Apple, I have to say this is a really stupid statement. I'm just imaging all the people who are going to let their Mac Pros roll off the desk..

Please don't do this.

Source: http://www.cultofmac.com/260666/apple-says-fine-use-new-mac-pro-side/

Also make sure it doesn't roll off the desk. Though highly unlikely with cords sticking out of it.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

It's all solid state so I don't see a reason why people can't hang the bloody things upside down if they want

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

It's all solid state so I don't see a reason why people can't hang the bloody things upside down if they want

Its not that it can't be done, its safe to the components but there is one big problem. The computer is round, and if the desk isn't perfectly level or something jolts it then its goodbye Mac Pro.

Its not that it can't be done, its safe to the components but there is one big problem. The computer is round, and if the desk isn't perfectly level or something jolts it then its goodbye Mac Pro.

If it falls on the ground and breaks good, they should have thought about a real machine

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

You can use it as a rolling pin! now they should add another 100 dollars to its price tag for advanced functionality!

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

I can guarantee that if there are complaints made to Apple regarding the machines rolling off the desks, Apple's reply would be something along the lines of: 'Well your desk isn't shaped properly'

You guys literally clutch at straws to make a negative thread about Apple. It's just sad.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

You guys literally clutch at straws to make a negative thread about Apple. It's just sad.

I mentioned that I use a Hackintosh, have an iPad 3, a MacBook air and I've previously owned an iPhone 5 and an iMac. I'm far from an Apple hater. I thought this was silly myself. 

I don't understand what is sad about poking a bit of fun at a trash-can-shaped computer?

Yeah.

The older Mac Pro was a thing of beauty, this design is a reject r2d2 model painted black. This isn't blind hate on Apple, it's hate on a dumb design. Maybe it's the Italian blood in me, but I honestly feel the old Mac Pro was classy to the point that even Apple haters can appreciate it. This new model lacks that, it's..a trash can that rolls around on its side.

This was a fun photoshop project

post-9333-0-09321600-1388788011.jpg

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Oh no, they're having fun at apples expense, they must be stupid or haters... :rolleyes:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Don't see why people would use it sideways but at least Apple could be provided a stand to put the Mac Pro on so it wouldn't roll around. If it is sideways someone can do a speaker mod on it by placing a speaker on both ends. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Whoever decided on the itrashcan design needs to seriously need to get some glasses.

it looks like utter shit.

This was a fun photoshop project

made my day xD

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

tbh, having it on it's side under a desk isn't a bad idea.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Let's play kick the can!

Or a very hard game of hockey!

Or bowling!

COMIC SANS

Well, I won't be getting a Mac Pro anyway, since I want a REAL PC.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)