Google to Discontinue "Inbox" App

kuhnertdm

Google has announced that they will be discontinuing support for their "Inbox" app for Android in March of 2019. The app has been around since 2014, and has been Google's way of fast-tracking Gmail app improvements:

Inbox by Gmail has been a great place to experiment with new ideas like snoozing emails to later, as well as try the latest AI-powered experiences like Smart Reply, Nudges and high-priority notifications to help you stay productive.

The app has consistently had a wider array of features than the base Gmail app, including Cmart replies (which give you one-tap options to reply to emails with auto-generated text like "Sure, sounds good") and auto-categorization.

Google plans to merge the previously Inbox-exclusive functionality into their "New" Gmail app released in April of 2018.  "Smart Compose" (which gives you text suggestions while writing emails) and other features are already in the Gmail app, and The Verge reports that more are on the way:

Google says that there are still a few features due to make the migration from Inbox, specifically the “bundles” that group similar emails together into a single block, like those related to a single trip. That’s coming to Gmail, but there’s no word yet on the timeline for it.

This is a continuation of the trend of Google axing support for their newer, more frequently-updated apps in favor of merging the functionality into older codebases with more sluggish updates and outdated interfaces, as we've seen with Allo, Hangouts, and other similar Google products.

Mofo. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

The Google way of beta software. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I really liked inbox, especially the way it decides to pick which notifications to show. I really hope they dont fuck shit up when integrating with gmail.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 hours ago, Levent said:

I really liked inbox, especially the way it decides to pick which notifications to show. I really hope they dont fuck shit up when integrating with gmail.

It's Google. Of course they'll fuck it up.

Also, they'll launch two new email platforms next year because why not?

4 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

eh I use ProtonMail for email now anyways now so I could care less.

So you do care. Got it.

4 hours ago, Levent said:

I really hope they dont fuck shit up when integrating with gmail.

Just for you, they'll fuck shit up one day prior to integration.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I have a multitude of advanced filtering on my gmail so my inbox's practically always empty anyway (everything's auto sorted into folders), so I could never truly understand the need/use of the inbox app, but considering how popular it is I'm sure many will be sad to see it go.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

44 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

I have a multitude of advanced filtering on my gmail so my inbox's practically always empty anyway (everything's auto sorted into folders), so I could never truly understand the need/use of the inbox app, but considering how popular it is I'm sure many will be sad to see it go.

I've had around 40 filters in gmail (still use filters in Inbox) but for most non "categorizable" stuff which should be in inbox I can either finish it, snooze it or work on it. And then it's empty.   It just worked. 

I love inbox and hardly ever use the Gmail app. The scheduling is a great idea, being able to snooze emails or set reminders based on time, date or even location is great. Plus with Google's search you don't have bother archiving emails to folders or whatever, just mark them as done and then if you ever need them just search.

Just now, LordOTaco said:

Only about you ;)

Too late, @aki adaki already won my heart.

I'd really like it back though.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, MadDuke said:

I've had around 40 filters in gmail (still use filters in Inbox) but for most non "categorizable" stuff which should be in inbox I can either finish it, snooze it or work on it. And then it's empty.   It just worked. 

I suppose. Let's hope Google doesn't fuck up bringing that functionality to the main app.
For me having anything in my inbox meant it's either important enough to read immediately, having to adjust my filters or trash/spam it.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Read this yesterday from my Google news tab, still sad about it. I really like inbox ?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Not a big deal to me personally, never saw the use in having multiple mails apps for the same account. I didn't feel the marketing was clear in the difference between the Gmail app and Inbox app, tried and uninstalled. Hopefully not too many people are affected by this.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:10 AM, LordOTaco said:

I just have to say, having that avatar and saying you use ProtonMail gave me a good laugh! ;)

On 13.9.2018 at 3:10 PM, LordOTaco said:

How much less could you care?

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

Never really understood why they had a separate email app for this anyway. Couldnt it be just a feature they added to the Gmail app?

Not going to miss it.

It seems like Google kills off projects and features left and right though.