New AMD Zen+Vega CPU for $55!!!

The Benjamins
29 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Well that seems like an overkill waste of money: this isn't an "office chip" it's a budget consumer chip.

How is it for overkill? How is it not an office chip? Most consumer budget CPUs are also office chips.....

53 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

People are excited that it's cheap, but given that CPU's don't degrade it seems like you're getting poor price/performance buying this.

In the price categori and taking into an account its competition its a pretty OK deal. Nothing amazing, but considering this can be 260$ office PC with quite decent performance. 

Price/performance does have a sweetspot and at the lower end of the scale it tends to get worse. And used will allways beat new in price to performance. And this being new, also means it is a plattform, and that is sometimes invaluable. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

How is it for overkill? How is it not an office chip? Most consumer budget CPUs are also office chips.....

In the price categori and taking into an account its competition its a pretty OK deal. Nothing amazing, but considering this can be 260$ office PC with quite decent performance. 

Price/performance does have a sweetspot and at the lower end of the scale it tends to get worse. And used will allways beat new in price to performance. And this being new, also means it is a plattform, and that is sometimes invaluable. 

Hey silly the Athlon 200GE is a consumer chip and the Athlon Pro 200GE is the office chip, get it right.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

11 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Hey silly the Athlon 200GE is a consumer chip and the Athlon Pro 200GE is the office chip, get it right.

"Office" i can see some technicall departementets just orderin a whole bunch of regular ones. 

Depends how you define it

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

"Office" i can see some technicall departementets just orderin a whole bunch of regular ones. 

Depends how you define it

I was more joking. I get your point.

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

"This is a budget office chip"

-

"Vega graphic cores included"

Well that seems like an overkill waste of money: this isn't an "office chip" it's a budget consumer chip.

Also we established that we expect BETTER FROM AMD than intel so get with the fucking plan.

What else would it be than Vega graphics? AMD doesn't have anything lower. It's Vega 3. It's absolutely the bare minimum. 

It's not like Vega automatically means high performance or anything of the sort. It basically comes down to CUs and it takes more than 3 to call it performance oriented.

The mission statement for these chips is basic web browsing and media playback. That falls within the purview of common office tasks.

I think you're the one who misunderstood the plan entirely. These chips aren't meant to be overclocked. It's like complaining your Toyota Aygo doesn't have four-wheel drive. It could have but it would be pointless.

35 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I was more joking. I get your point.

I realized halfway through, but i thought id make the point anyway. You had a good point aswell

Cool CPU !

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

16 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, what we really need is a Chipsetless ultra low end Board.

As you may know (or not), RYZEN is a SOC and does not need a Chipset as the RYZEN Chipsets are only PCIe to something things...

Makes sense, but wouldn't that mean the chipset needs to be in the cpu itself or something similar?

Like, you need to put your SATA and USB controllers somewhere, you can't just get rid of them.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Makes sense, but wouldn't that mean the chipset needs to be in the cpu itself or something similar?

Like, you need to put your SATA and USB controllers somewhere, you can't just get rid of them.

Most of them are already on the SoC as it is. The Chipsets on AM4 don't really do all that much, as there are direct USB and SATA connections to the CPU. That's the whole "system on chip" bit. Pretty sure some of the embedded solutions are actually chipset-less, but I'd be really surprised if we saw that out in the wild at any point.

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Yes, that's whats already the case with Ryzen.

They come with two S-ATa Connectors (on the 8 Cores those can be PCIe it seems) and IIRC 4 USB 3.x Connectors inside the CPU. 

That is why you have TWO S-ATA Controllers with totally different Device IDs in the Device Manager, when you have a Ryzen CPU.

One is for the Chipset USB controller,one is for the CPU integrated USB Controller.

Here you can see what the CPU has integrated:

https://rog.asus.com/articles/technologies/your-guide-to-the-ryzen-am4-platform-and-its-x370-b350-and-a320-chipsets/

That's why you won't see any Chipset in Notebooks. Its not needed...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

20 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Zen dies have on die USB and Sata/NVME support.

14878984098.gif

This APU really fits great at that price tier. It offers very solid performance for what it is, can built a cheap little HTPC or just a PC for basic needs. Can even throw a gameplay on lighter games as shown. 

Good that FX chips are no more on AM4 now, no reason to exist anymore.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Except it's just as relevant.  I'm not sure why you think the release date matters.

You're still comparing brand new CPUs to used, which is just not right. Of course a older used part will always have better value, but that's not the debate here.

Things to consider:

1. You can upgrade all the way up to a 8 core CPU, hell, isn't there still a chance that Zen 2 R7s will be 12 core? Point is, the upgrade path is WAY better on AM4.

2. The security of buying a new part. Plain and simple.

3. Actually usable integrated graphics, which makes it tempting to use in a cheap TV box.

4. Much lower power consumption, which is again something great for small HTPCs with shitty airflow.

5. Ryzens have been selling well under MSRP in most places, hell, check out Micro Center's pricing. So this CPU could cost 40 bucks for all you know. A 40$ brand new CPU that has a great upgrade path? How could you go wrong?

6: The i5 costs 40-50$ on ebay right now, so basically the same here, and you get all the perks I mentioned. If 4 physical cores is a MUST for the build you're planning, then one, this CPU isn't intended for you and two, just spend 30 more bucks and get a 2200g and have a way better CPU/GPU than the i5.

Again, a 50$ quad core would be amazing, but we're just not quite there yet. But considering that Intel just had the balls to charge over 150 for a 2c4t last gen, we've made good progress. Maybe we'll even see a super low end quad core next gen at this rate. You having an opinion is fine, but that doesn't change that this CPU is pretty nice looking. But I can somewhat agree it'd be cool to see dual cores die off since they've been around since 05, but again, wait till next gen, your wish might just come true.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

snip

To be completely fair, AMD actually did ship out a genuine quad core CPU for under $50; the Athlon 5150 and the Athlon 5350, but in the case of those, they had a reason to be pretty damn cheap. I imagine that this CPU would smoke the hell out of a 5350. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

To be completely fair, AMD actually did ship out a genuine quad core CPU for under $50; the Athlon 5150 and the Athlon 5350, but in the case of those, they had a reason to be pretty damn cheap. I imagine that this CPU would smoke the hell out of a 5350. 

Well... Yeah... Technically. But like you said, they definitely had a reason to be cheap. Faildozer was so bad, the 2c4t i5-3337U in my laptop (1.8ghz base, 2.5ghz boost) has just as good single threaded performance as my overclocked FX 8320. :(

For web browsing, yeah the 200GE will smoke the older FX Athlons while using significantly less power. And (obviously) for anyone only doing one or two minor tasks, single threaded performance is a lot more valuable than throwing more slow cores at the problem. If I'm remembering correctly, even the 2c2t Pentium Gs were absolutely smoking those FX Athlons. (I honestly don't remember and I'm too lazy to go look for benchmarks, so I could be wrong there.)

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

44 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

This APU really fits great at that price tier. It offers very solid performance for what it is, can built a cheap little HTPC or just a PC for basic needs. Can even throw a gameplay on lighter games as shown. 

Good that FX chips are no more on AM4 now, no reason to exist anymore.

APU $55

Motherboard $60

PSU $40

Case $30

RAM $100

Hard Drive $50

You’re still looking at a little over $330. And that doesn’t include an OS, keyboard, mouse or screen. I am just on the fence about it. If you really wanna be cheap get used gear. Or prebuilts on clearance. 

3 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

APU $55

Motherboard $60

PSU $40

Case $30

RAM $100

Hard Drive $50

You’re still looking at a little over $330. And that doesn’t include an OS, keyboard, mouse or screen. I am just on the fence about it. If you really wanna be cheap get used gear. Or prebuilts on clearance. 

That depends, as there is a lot in what you listed that could be cheaper. It all depends on what you are aiming for.

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

That depends, as there is a lot in what you listed that could be cheaper. It all depends on what you are aiming for.

Curious what you think could be cheaper. Those prices are pretty accurate

48 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Of course a older used part will always have better value, but that's not the debate here.

It won't always have a better value AND performance though.  Like I said, I'll wait for benchmarks, but I don't see this being something I'll recommend.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Curious what you think could be cheaper. Those prices are pretty accurate

Well, PSU, RAM and HDD (or SSD If you choose to go that route).

I will admit that I think personally, if AMD does price it at $55, there are better options for the same cost.

2 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Well, PSU, RAM and HDD (or SSD If you choose to go that route).

I will admit that personally, if AMD does price it at $55, there are better options for the same cost.

Not really the same cost. $55 is so cheap for a CPU. But way better options for not much more money. 

3 hours ago, kokakolia said:

APU $55

Motherboard $60

PSU $40

Case $30

RAM $100

Hard Drive $50

I mean I know you can get used and such. But I managed to make a build for like $200 on PCPartPicker though. Just saying, it's still a solid chip in that price point. It definitely haves it's place. Also, you can get an overall better components and later on get a much better CPU too, going that route works too.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Not really the same cost. $55 is so cheap for a CPU. But way better options for not much more money. 

My apologies I said "are" and should have said "might be".  The G5400 might be a better option depending on your use case, and it can be bought for $49.99. We won't know for sure though until the 200GE is released.

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

The mission statement for these chips is basic web browsing and media playback. That falls within the purview of common office tasks.

How is "media playback" anywhere "within the purview of common office tasks"?

I'd be surprised to find any serious business office where any media playback is used on a day-to-day basis. Not even presentations have any kind of "media" to speak of and using audio, video or images that aren't graphics to show data it's consider goofy and unprofessional.

This is good keep telling me how we need anything beyond the ability to display 2D images on a screen for any kind of office work I'd love to see what nonsense you'll come up with next.

-------

Current Rig

-------