New AMD Zen+Vega CPU for $55!!!

The Benjamins
3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

How is it for overkill? How is it not an office chip? Most consumer budget CPUs are also office chips.....

Most of them are intel entry level CPUs with integrated graphics that offer the bare fucking minimum they can get away with for certain certifications. 

Vega cores will be able to at least double if not triple a similar Pentium igpu which again, it's overkill to display emails, spreadsheets and documents for you to read which is what office work actually fucking involves.

Hell any decent office usually goes to great lengths to make sure you can't get distracted with social media or youtube where you might possibly encounter something resembling a need for better chips and even then the most pathetic igpu from intel released over 10 years ago it's still more than adequate for even that.

So I repeat: any "vega" cores are complete overkill for offices. This is a home consumer chip and I can guarantee it will be marketed as such not as a productivity chip.

-------

Current Rig

-------

14 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Most of them are intel entry level CPUs with integrated graphics that offer the bare fucking minimum they can get away with for certain certifications. 

Vega cores will be able to at least double if not triple a similar Pentium igpu which again, it's overkill to display emails, spreadsheets and documents for you to read which is what office work actually fucking involves.

Hell any decent office usually goes to great lengths to make sure you can't get distracted with social media or youtube where you might possibly encounter something resembling a need for better chips and even then the most pathetic igpu from intel released over 10 years ago it's still more than adequate for even that.

So I repeat: any "vega" cores are complete overkill for offices. This is a home consumer chip and I can guarantee it will be marketed as such not as a productivity chip.

Agree here. Hell, I'm sure most offices are still running Core 2 Duos or 1st/2nd gen i3s. Honestly, I'm sure a scary amount of Pentium Ds are still out there.

Spoiler

These aren't office chips, office chips are the cheapest shit you can buy usually. (Yeah not always, but I'm sure this applies to most businesses.)

Though, having decent graphics on ALL computers, even office computers just sounds cool, even if it won't get used much.

EDIT: Even if AMD markets these as office chips, I'm not sure they'll see much success there seeing as Intel has Pentiums for like 30$ and like I said, most businesses are penny pinchers, if they need 500 systems, the 20$ extra on each system will add up.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

You havent seen AMD's own internal comparison have you?

Vegacores are not as powerful as you think. Do not imagine it is some sprt of magic.

3 Vega cores is the bare minimum to beat Intel's own competing products........ How is that overkill? In a world where hardware acceleration is becoming common, a decent GPU is just good news

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

How is "media playback" anywhere "within the purview of common office tasks"?

I'd be surprised to find any serious business office where any media playback is used on a day-to-day basis. Not even presentations have any kind of "media" to speak of and using audio, video or images that aren't graphics to show data it's consider goofy and unprofessional.

This is good keep telling me how we need anything beyond the ability to display 2D images on a screen for any kind of office work I'd love to see what nonsense you'll come up with next.

So your answer is basically "REEEEEE".

Interesting technique to read multiple paragraphs and latch onto two words and then argue against those two while ignoring context. I believe that's called a straw man.

I quoted AMD's marketing to explain the target market and extrapolated what it can do. If web browsing and using Microsoft Office isn't within the purview of normal office work, then I wonder what is?

Either way saying office work or office chip is meant to imply non-demanding tasks. This is a consumer chip just as much but it's still entry level and meant for anyone needing pretty much no compute power.

I do find it humorous that you would try to claim I argued that media playback is important for office work while you're being caught implying that a 3 CU GPU is too big for the chip to be entry level stuff. That's 192 SPs by the way. Poor Volta.

5 hours ago, 2Buck said:

These aren't office chips, office chips are the cheapest shit you can buy usually. (Yeah not always, but I'm sure this applies to most businesses.)

I am lucky enough to have been assigned a laptop and it's an ivy bridge i5 that's somehow still working and that's just because I am expected to both travel and visit several sites throughout the city when needed.

People permanently on site have freaking NUC-like thin clients: those are still Atoms iirc they literally just want them to display IE to check emails and do stuff on maybe excel and maybe web based apps that's it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On 07/09/2018 at 8:00 PM, Misanthrope said:

How is "media playback" anywhere "within the purview of common office tasks"?

I'd be surprised to find any serious business office where any media playback is used on a day-to-day basis. Not even presentations have any kind of "media" to speak of and using audio, video or images that aren't graphics to show data it's consider goofy and unprofessional.

This is good keep telling me how we need anything beyond the ability to display 2D images on a screen for any kind of office work I'd love to see what nonsense you'll come up with next.

21 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I am lucky enough to have been assigned a laptop and it's an ivy bridge i5 that's somehow still working and that's just because I am expected to both travel and visit several sites throughout the city when needed.

People permanently on site have freaking NUC-like thin clients: those are still Atoms iirc they literally just want them to display IE to check emails and do stuff on maybe excel and maybe web based apps that's it.

Where as the office I worked at had 6th gen i5s all over the place in dell machines, Not all offices are like that, some do see the advantage of future proofing. This is especially true for charities actually in my experience. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Tbh what I really want to see is AMD bring out a tri-core CPU at the 65-75USD cost, that would smoke most of the Pentiums out there. I nkow it wont happen but I'd buy one just for the novelty of such an idea.  there must be loads of 2200G/2400G dies that have just one failed core right? May as well squeeze that last 10USD or so out of them. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

Tbh what I really want to see is AMD bring out a tri-core CPU at the 65-75USD cost, that would smoke most of the Pentiums out there. I nkow it wont happen but I'd buy one just for the novelty of such an idea.  there must be loads of 2200G/2400G dies that have just one failed core right? May as well squeeze that last 10USD or so out of them. 

A tri-core CPU would be very interesting, but there's no current... anything, really, that can be effectively made into a tri-core CPU. The ones AMD did back in the day were just messed up quad-cores.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

A tri-core CPU would be very interesting, but there's no current... anything, really, that can be effectively made into a tri-core CPU. The ones AMD did back in the day were just messed up quad-cores.

Theres no reason why a 2200G couldnt become a tri core CPU, The way IF works its probably easier than ever tbh. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Theres no reason why a 2200G couldnt become a tri core CPU, The way IF works its probably easier than ever tbh. 

Well, in all fairness, tri-cores basically only existed because AMD wanted to move quad-cores with a defective core, or something like that.

I doubt they'll bring 'em back unless they have a good reason to. It'd be interesting, but I doubt they'd do it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Well, in all fairness, tri-cores basically only existed because AMD wanted to move quad-cores with a defective core, or something like that.

I doubt they'll bring 'em back unless they have a good reason to. It'd be interesting, but I doubt they'd do it.

Like I said in mt orginal post, I dont think they would, but there must be a number of raven ridge dies(the quad core dies) with one defective core, with the number they make it just has to happen to some degree. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

14 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Like I said in mt orginal post, I dont think they would, but there must be a number of raven ridge dies(the quad core dies) with one defective core, with the number they make it just has to happen to some degree. 

Their yields are probably too good for such product, we might see something like that on 7nm as yields will be much worse

On 08/09/2018 at 3:06 AM, Misanthrope said:

You are overestimating how powerful Vega 3 will be. Vega 8 is about 2x Intel integrates (i.e. UHD 630)... so Vega 3 will be basically the same as the Intel iGPU on low end parts.

15 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

You are overestimating how powerful Vega 3 will be. Vega 8 is about 2x Intel integrates (i.e. UHD 630)... so Vega 3 will be basically the same as the Intel iGPU on low end parts.

That is a possibility. I can't say that I understand the process since it's entirely possible a CPU core (or 2) are defective so they just downgrade 2200g parts but my guess is that it could also work the other way meaning the Vega cores from the 2200g are the ones defective (or both Ryzen and Vega cores on very unfortunate chips) and those get sold on this new SKU.

Something tells me there should be more SKUs since there should be more permutations of what works and what doesn't (i.e. a chip that has 1 bad Ryzen core but fully functional on all Vega cores would be very nifty) but again for this market it might not be worth confusing with too many SKUs so just turn off all defective 2200g into one or two types of Athlon and call it a day, still recovering 55 bucks out of something that was wasted yields anyways.

-------

Current Rig

-------