New AMD performance projection from AMD CTO

Fasauceome

Apparently, the 7nm node will double the efficiency of ryzen

If this is actually true, will Intel no longer be king of single threaded? If it's not true, what do you guys think is a more accurate projection?

Also, no "Intel will always be ahead" nonsense. There's no reason to declare that the market will always be one way until the end of time, especially with Intel stuck on that 14 nm node.

Link to the article:

https://www.crn.com/slide-shows/components-peripherals/amd-cto-we-now-have-a-razor-s-edge-to-fight-against-intel/2

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7nm is a very very good node in general, not just for Ryzen, though I fully expect my next build to be 7nm Ryzen or Threadripper unless Intel manages to get 10nm working and prices it well (NOT GONNA HAPPEN LUL)

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

They are talking of performance per watt. Something important for Vega and Ryzen in enterprise applications, but for regular consumers it doesnt speak of what the actual performance is.

Its nothing to start a hypetrain over, the only question is if Ryzen does the rumoured 5GHZ under 7nm

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

They are talking of performance per watt. Something important for Vega and Ryzen in enterprise applications, but for regular consumers it doesnt speak of what the actual performance is.

Its nothing to start a hypetrain over, the only question is if Ryzen does the rumoured 5GHZ under 7nm

He did say "double the efficiency", though the article itself does have some perf projections

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

If AMD gets up to 5GhZ OC range on 7nm Ryzen then Intel doesn't stand a chance

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

If double the performance per watt extends to the regular desktop CPUs, then with the same wattage, theoretically an excess of 6GHz would be possible. Since this doesn't sound all that likely in one microarchitecture generation, imagine something like a 5GHz base chip with 2/3 the required power of the last generation. Now that's a more realistic efficiency bump.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

He did say "double the efficiency", though the article itself does have some perf projections

True, though the OP in the second paragraph seemed to have missunderstood it for actual performance. Also im just hopikg to stop others from thinking so aswell.

6 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

7nm is a very very good node in general, not just for Ryzen, though I fully expect my next build to be 7nm Ryzen or Threadripper unless Intel manages to get 10nm working and prices it well (NOT GONNA HAPPEN LUL)

Which is could grab a new CPU, but i need to fix my mediocre GPU first

Just now, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

If AMD gets up to 5GhZ OC range on 7nm Ryzen then Intel doesn't stand a chance

maybe not even OC if these figures are to be believed.

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

If double the performance per watt extends to the regular desktop CPUs, then with the same wattage, theoretically an excess of 6GHz would be possible. Since this doesn't sound all that likely in one microarchitecture generation, imagine something like a 5GHz base chip with 2/3 the required power of the last generation. Now that's a more realistic efficiency bump.

5GHZ is a projection by what the fabs themselves expect. 6GHZ is rather difficult and i wouldnt be surprised to wait quite some time before we see that. The CPUs will probably have quite the impressive TDP though. (Hopefully AMD doesnt cheap out and ship the CPUs with stealth coolers)

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

One million gigahertz...

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

5ghz on 32 cores at 250W TDP, GIVE IT TO ME LISA

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Lets not get hopeful. From what we have seen is that Ryzen has an exponential voltage curve unless going sub-zero. Something might change with 7nm, but im staying somewhat conservative

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Lets not get hopeful. From what we have seen is that Ryzen has an exponential voltage curve unless going sub-zero. Something might change with 7nm, but im staying somewhat conservative

Ultimately this will most likely change my preference on my next laptop. I have an ultra cheap Asus transformer mini, with a diminutive 3 watt atom CPU. A 7nm Ryzen CPU which does 3 watts a whole lot better would really ease some headaches for me, and I look forward to 7nm ryzen shaking up the mobile space that intel has dominated for so long.

Primary PC:

Performance per watt is different as performance doesn't scale straight up like that. For example, vega does amazingly well at lower powers but vega 64 still struggles to hold its own against the 1080. So I don't see this as an announcement of double performance. 

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Just now, fasauceome said:

Ultimately this will most likely change my preference on my next laptop. I have an ultra cheap Asus transformer mini, with a diminutive 3 watt atom CPU. A 7nm Ryzen CPU which does 3 watts a whole lot better would really ease some headaches for me, and I look forward to 7nm ryzen shaking up the mobile space that intel has dominated for so long.

Its diffcult for Ryzen to stirr up the mobile space. Especially since ARM just entered. AMD also doesnt have an ultrahigh efficiency, low power iGPU solution, unless they decide to have a 2 CU vega core in there

Its diffcult for Ryzen to stirr up the mobile space. Especially since ARM just entered. AMD also doesnt have an ultrahigh efficiency, low power iGPU solution, unless they decide to have a 2 CU vega core in there

As long as it's actual vega this time (which is also moving to 7nm) instead of polaris, I wouldn't mind one bit. Also, what laptops have ARM CPUs in them? I haven't come across one yet.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

As long as it's actual vega this time (which is also moving to 7nm) instead of polaris, I wouldn't mind one bit. Also, what laptops have ARM CPUs in them? I haven't come across one yet.

Doesnt matter to much if it polaris or Vega. Could be Navi, but is still CGN.

A couple of 2in1 laptop/tablets have them. Not to many as 64bit emulation is implemented yet (but is announced). 

Doesnt matter to much if it polaris or Vega. Could be Navi, but is still CGN.

A couple of 2in1 laptop/tablets have them. Not to many as 64bit emulation is implemented yet (but is announced). 

I'm ready for polaris to go away already. I don't think extending it to 7nm as well will help anything.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

I'm ready for polaris to go away already. I don't think extending it to 7nm as well will help anything.

Probably wont as Navi is the last gen of CGN and more or less a direct replacement to polaris (at least based on rumours)

12 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Not really.

Ryzen is awesome in mobile and also the TDP is used as the industry standard.

The Problem are the manufacturers that can't do good AMD Notebooks and the Users that don't want the AMD Notebooks for whatever reasons.

But right now the Ryzen slaps Intel left and right, are cheaper, have a decent Graphics unit...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

16 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Not really.

Ryzen is awesome in mobile and also the TDP is used as the industry standard.

The Problem are the manufacturers that can't do good AMD Notebooks and the Users that don't want the AMD Notebooks for whatever reasons.

But right now the Ryzen slaps Intel left and right, are cheaper, have a decent Graphics unit...

The issue isnt TDP. The issue is idle powerconsumption, boost clocks and very low power graphics (and intel is very good at all of these). As good as Ryzen is. Up untill now it hasnt been the best laptop choice. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

The issue isnt TDP. The issue is idle powerconsumption, boost clocks and very low power graphics (and intel is very good at all of these). As good as Ryzen is. Up untill now it hasnt been the best laptop choice. 

many of those things are skewd by shitty batteries on AMD side.

You often see shit like 70Wh battery on Intel and 45Wh on AMD or similar shit to make the Intels look better.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

when is 7nm ryzen projected to launch?

Ryzen 2? 3000 series?

Ryzen 2 has already been launched. 

3rd gen Ryzen, Threadripper, 2nd gen Epyc will launch on 7nm. Epyc will launch first.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold