intel teases new dedicated gpu

TOMPPIX

I think it's gonna be something small. single slot. maybe 1050ti power. something for esports. but with a little bit of intel tax on it.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

This is probably going to be an expensive potato.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

2020? And they're teasing it now? It seems Intel is desperate for some positive press...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

23 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Keep in mind that these are compute cards primarily with rumors being that they originally didn't even plan on a gaming version of the card.

Just like Vega then :D

39 minutes ago, Swatson said:

I wonder if DX12 reliance on developer optimization vs driver optimization required of DX11 and earlier played into intel's choice to try to get into desktop graphics

Maybe, but the real answer is probably their GPU division is weirdly protected within Intel. They seem to have finally gotten some executives that have their heads on straight and want to actually release something. (The iGPU tech is from like 2015 and still won't be replaced until late 2019 at the earliest.) 

These are mostly going to be Compute focused, but that means pretty big dies, which will compete for Fab space for Server products. Then there's the issue of what type of compute implementation are they going with? 

Then, and this is a big one, this will be the 3rd or 4th attempt to break into the dGPU market for Intel. They're going to have to bring something really special to displace Nvidia or event AMD. All of those shots Intel took at AMD with the x86 Server Space are utterly true for Intel with GPUs.

28 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Actually knowing Intel on the graphics front this will be a really strong compute competitor even if it has half the performance of an Nvidia competitor.

And we already know that it's not made for consumer gaming >.> If you're expecting a product that's going to smash a 1080TI on Crysis you're likely to be sorely disappointed. Everything we know about the plan for these cards is for them to be totally compute focussed with a consumer version being added in as an afterthought to help with mindshare.

Umm what? Intel has literally the best driver stack of the three which is really awkward considering how underpowered their GPUs are. The Intel Open Source Graphics drivers are freaking amazing. They were the first Open Source drivers to get full OpenGL 4.5, GLES 3.2, and Vulkan 1.0 certification.

Keep in mind that these are compute cards primarily with rumors being that they originally didn't even plan on a gaming version of the card.

By contrast Nvidias driver stack is a mess of proprietary firmware and blobs which in a lot of cases would be fine but with Graphics cards means that a lot of weird stuff breaks on high end compute systems.

And AMD's drivers are open but they're a fustercluck of 3 different compute frontends on top of three different driver backends. The whole Orca/PAL/ROCm on fglrx/AMDGPU/AMDGPU-Pro with and without Displaycode support thing is a nightmare for trying to get different hardware working together.

Intel has world-class talent. The issue is execution in the GPU space. Then, how does it compare against the next generation from both Nvidia & AMD? Arctic Sound is going to be going up against at least another full generation of Nvidia hardware, with AMD's next generation coming right after it.

On the Gaming side, the issue is that AMD & Nvidia have all of the top talent for those Gaming GPU Drivers.  Sure, they might be messy, but that talent is going to be really expensive for Intel to acquire. And then the time frame for getting games from 2008 working on the cards. Which is part of why I expect Intel to stick to the Compute space.

12 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Intel has world-class talent. The issue is execution in the GPU space. Then, how does it compare against the next generation from both Nvidia & AMD? Arctic Sound is going to be going up against at least another full generation of Nvidia hardware, with AMD's next generation coming right after it.

On the Gaming side, the issue is that AMD & Nvidia have all of the top talent for those Gaming GPU Drivers.  Sure, they might be messy, but that talent is going to be really expensive for Intel to acquire. And then the time frame for getting games from 2008 working on the cards. Which is part of why I expect Intel to stick to the Compute space.

Make that ''at most another full generation of Nvidia''. The 1080 released 51 months ago while 2021 is only 52 months away. The chances we are still on the 2000 generation entering 2021 is fairly high.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

9 minutes ago, MMKing said:

Make that ''at most another full generation of Nvidia''. The 1080 released 51 months ago while 2021 is only 52 months away. The chances we are still on the 2000 generation entering 2021 is fairly high.

Nvidia will have their generation of professional compute GPUs on 7nm by 2020. That's Intel's biggest competition right there.

@Taf the Ghost

Nvidia releasing another GPU architecture before 2020 would make the Turing generation the shortest in years.

Quadro release timeline

Maxwell - 15 , 03 , 2015

Pascal - 01 , 10 , 2016

Turing - ?? , 08/09 , 2018

Further more. Nvidia being the market leader in the professional graphics market has little reason to jump the gun on releasing a 7nm architecture before it's ready. As we seen with AMD's Epyc line of professional CPUs, the professional market is slow to change, and is not about to buy Intel GPUs in bulk even if Intel somehow push out 10nm GPUs before Nvidia can push out 7nm for the professional market.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

13 minutes ago, MMKing said:

@Taf the Ghost

Nvidia releasing another GPU architecture before 2020 would make the Turing generation the shortest in years.

Quadro release timeline

Maxwell - 15 , 03 , 2015

Pascal - 01 , 10 , 2016

Turing - ?? , 08/09 , 2018

Further more. Nvidia being the market leader in the professional graphics market has little reason to jump the gun on releasing a 7nm architecture before it's ready. As we seen with AMD's Epyc line of professional CPUs, the professional market is slow to change, and is not about to buy Intel GPUs in bulk even if Intel somehow push out 10nm GPUs before Nvidia can push out 7nm for the professional market.

They launched Volta last year and they're already replacing it. That's the Compute 7nm generation. 

Let's hope it will do better than that POS they launched in the 90's...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

inb4 it's just an upgrade to iris 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

2020? And they're teasing it now? It seems Intel is desperate for some positive press...

That's some Zen-sized hype train starting to roll :P 

So this is why they hired Raja Koduri? Seemed to do a lot of work in a relatively short period of time...

4 hours ago, porina said:

Lies, damn lies, and statistics :)

They're measuring in different ways, and it could be argued what's relevant here.

Steam is likely biased towards gamers, so maybe more indicative of discrete GPUs, although there is likely some integrated GPU/APU in there also.

The 2nd chart, I presume would be heavily skewed by the GPU built into most Intel consumer CPUs.

I think the first is probably more interesting to the context of this thread. Intel are moving into discrete GPUs, so that is the pie they want a slice of.

I honestly don’t think Intel are after the gaming pie, they’re after professional/data canter pies first and foremost.

Just thought I might inject an idea that haven't seen anyone bring up. (Also I am speaking purely from information publicly available)

For a large amount of time Intel has had a large foothold in the Renderfarms, with CPUs being the most effective solution to ray tracing. However, Nvidia has now created a solution that could start cutting into that market and now they need a solution to keep that market share.

Just some crumbs to snack on.

5 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

It will be interesting to see what kind of security holes it has.

thats fucking cold. love it

Ehh by 2020? they will come up with something competitive in 2020? that is hard to believe When I am assuming Nvda will finally actually have single cards that can run 4k 144 fps by then

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding was that directx was a compilation of sound and video api's? If so why wouldnt this be a gaming card teaser if they said it was for DirectX12?

6 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

I honestly don’t think Intel are after the gaming pie, they’re after professional/data canter pies first and foremost.

Why not both? Assuming their eventual cards are somewhat competitive...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

yes please. And next we need Nvidia CPU's.

... and some chinese random company to make at least GPU's as well. We need more competition.