The EUs new internet copyright bill has been rejected

Master Disaster

So after a fierce debate over the bill today it has been rejected by the EU by a margin of 318 to 278.

A controversial overhaul of the EU's copyright law that sparked a fierce debate between internet giants and content creators has been rejected.

The proposed rules would have put more responsibility on websites to check for copyright infringements, and forced platforms to pay for linking to news.

A slew of high-profile music stars had backed the change, arguing that websites had exploited their content.

But opponents said the rules would stifle internet freedom and creativity.

The move was intended to bring the EU's copyright laws in line with the digital age, but led to protests from websites and much debate before it was rejected by a margin of 318-278 in the European Parliament on Thursday.

The copyright directive had 2 parts that caused the issues, Articles 11 & 13.

The proposed legislation - known as the Copyright Directive - was an attempt by the EU to modernise its copyright laws, but it contained two highly-contested parts.

The first of these, Article 11, was intended to protect newspapers and other outlets from internet giants like Google and Facebook using their material without payment.

But it was branded a "link tax" by opponents who feared it could lead to problems with sentence fragments being used to link to other news outlets (like this).

Article 13 was the other controversial part. It put a greater responsibility on websites to enforce copyright laws, and would have meant that any online platform that allowed users to post text, images, sounds or code would need a way to assess and filter content.

The most common way to do this is by using an automated copyright system, but they are expensive. The one YouTube uses cost $60m (£53m), so critics were worried that similar filters would need to be introduced to every website if Article 13 became law.

There were also concerns that these copyright filters could effectively ban things like memes and remixes which use some copyrighted material.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44712475

Well this is very surprising tbh, the EU actually used common sense and voted the correct way. There's always a first time for everything I suppose.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Does this mean we can stop making EU-compliant memes, or is that still a thing?

If I recall correctly, memes got banned in the EU because they supposedly violated some copyright law.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If I recall correctly, memes got banned in the EU because they supposedly violated some copyright law.

They had a first vote last week which did pass but it was subject to a second vote before becoming law, that vote was today and they rejected it.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

This was the law that was going to ban memes!!!! 

Also I rang MEPs and made my case following the instructions provided in a previous post on here.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

40 votes is way, way too narrow. Don't take this off your radars just yet.

How would it come back? It's already been defeated.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

6 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Cause the EU is a weird parliament where common sense doesn't exist.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Cause the EU is a weird parliament where common sense doesn't exist.

So are all parliaments to be fair

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

4 minutes ago, meme smurf said:

if the EU bans memes could it affect people in america?

Look at the GDPR stuff. That's had a global effect and I see no reason to believe this wouldn't have a global effect as well.

18 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Rename it, change a few words, get different sponsors and supporters with different (read: larger) amounts of money in their pockets, and try to ram it through as quickly as possible before people realize what's going on.

47 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Rename it, change a few words, get different sponsors and supporters with different (read: larger) amounts of money in their pockets, and try to ram it through as quickly as possible before people realize what's going on.

MAFIAA has plenty of money, guess they just didn't dig their pockets deep enough this time.

58 minutes ago, meme smurf said:

if the EU bans memes could it affect people in america?

Memes would be use the correct spelling of colour, metre etc.

I liked some of the stuff in there, they could cut article 11 & 13 and run the rest through perhaps

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

The travel ban was ruled unconstitutional twice, yet it passed on the third attempt...

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

This law would not have banned memes.

This law was only about enforment of the already existing copyright law.

In the already existing copyright law, taking for example one frame from a movie and posting it online, wouldn't not break copyright and therefore be legal.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Mihle said:

This law would not have banned memes.

This law was only about enforment of the already existing copyright law.

In the already existing copyright law, taking for example one frame from a movie and posting it online, wouldn't not break copyright and therefore be legal.

you actually had to pay for the copyright in the meme. Well not actually you, what was intended was for the platform you were using to post it to pay for you.

Still like mentioned above, it's not dead, now they are going to make alterations and then presented back to the parlament.

5 minutes ago, asus killer said:

you actually had to pay for the copyright in the meme. Well not actually you, what was intended was for the platform you were using to post it to pay for you.

Still like mentioned above, it's not dead, now they are going to make alterations and then presented back to the parlament.

No you don't if it's just a single frame from a movie. A single frame isn't enough for it to be copyright.

But if it was a single image from a photographer it's another matter, because that image is a hole work in itself. 

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

It was rejected because it was unworkable.

News can't be copyrighted.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

6 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

It was rejected because it was unworkable.

News can't be copyrighted.

Exactly.

They can control major EU based websites & try to ban others if they do not comply but .. they started banning "The Bay" years ago and .. you can still easily access it.

Banning something online isn't easy, but these people voting for it do not understand the internet, they are out of touch. All they want is votes & slews of cash.

Should  we do something against that? Obviously yes, but how on earth would we do that.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

21 minutes ago, Mihle said:

No you don't if it's just a single frame from a movie. A single frame isn't enough for it to be copyright.

But if it was a single image from a photographer it's another matter, because that image is a hole work in itself. 

if you're talking about the law that was just rejected, what was proposed was that a single frame, an image, was copyrighted and someone had to pay for it. Just look it up. Article 13 if i'm not mistaken.

1 hour ago, Jtalk4456 said:

The travel ban was ruled unconstitutional twice, yet it passed on the third attempt...

Different court levels. The travel ban was deemed unconstitutional at the lower courts. The Supreme Court heard the case and deemed it was indeed constitutional.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Thats like 90% of LTT videos. 

20 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

Exactly.

They can control major EU based websites & try to ban others if they do not comply but .. they started banning "The Bay" years ago and .. you can still easily access it.

Banning something online isn't easy, but these people voting for it do not understand the internet, they are out of touch. All they want is votes & slews of cash.

Should  we do something against that? Obviously yes, but how on earth would we do that.

Even if the law passed.

It could have been deemed incompatible with other laws by the ECJ

Or the treaties of the European Union.

That guarantee rights of individuals such as freedom of expression 

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

14 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Different court levels. The travel ban was deemed unconstitutional at the lower courts. The Supreme Court heard the case and deemed it was indeed constitutional.

my point still remaining, and as best as I can tell the supreme court has been smoking too much legal marijuana

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.