Is a "K" Version i7 8700 Worth it?

34 minutes ago, Clarkles said:

Since overclocking voids warranty do you think it is worth delidding to help with cooler temperatures? If I am already voiding warranty why not do that as well.

They don't have a way to prove you overclocked it, so you're only sort of voiding the warranty by overclocking lol. Delidding can be something to do down the line.

Take a look at the link in my signature.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

13 hours ago, TopWargamer said:

It's not rude at all. Stuff like this is easy to find. Did I not do the searching for him and linked him relative articles?

Yes, but honestly the same could be said about any topic. Google it, and it can lead you to another forum with the answer.

What you did is actually against the CoC.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

17 hours ago, Clarkles said:

Hi, for my new build I'm stuck between getting the i7 8700 and 8700k. I don't plan on overclocking in the near future but I guess it would be nice to have that feature if I ever changed my mind down the line. Will the 8700k get me more fps running at base speeds compared to the 8700? Also what would the difference in heat be? I understand that if you overclock it will get hotter but what about running at base speeds? Will the 8700k run hotter than the 8700? So all in all, is the AU$100 upgrade worth it for the extra features or should I save that money for other components/games? Thanks in advance :)

Let me put this straight: This is the best time for overclocking a Intel CPU. It's easy to get a stable 5GHz 1.3v for daily usage.

If you play game, it gains about 10-15 fps more for those games I play.

8700, 8700K are hot, very hot. You should probably delid it, even with 8700.

9 hours ago, dizmo said:

Yes, but honestly the same could be said about any topic. Google it, and it can lead you to another forum with the answer.

What you did is actually against the CoC.

*Yawn*

No it's not. Report me.

COMIC SANS

1 hour ago, TopWargamer said:

*Yawn*

No it's not. Report me.

No spam

• ‘LMGTFY’ links

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Even if you plan on overclocking it, the most I've seen people get it to is 5.0GHz, which is a measily 8% or so over the stock turbo boost. Otherwise, the performance gap between the locked and unlocked versions theoretically is no more than about 8%-10%. Though in practice, it's usually almost no appreciable difference.

So I find little reason to get the unlocked version unless you want bragging rights.

13 minutes ago, dizmo said:

No spam

• ‘LMGTFY’ links

*Yawn*

That's not what I did. Go ahead, still report me.

COMIC SANS

On 6/4/2018 at 10:21 AM, Clarkles said:

How beneficial is overclocking. I know it will be different in every scenario but does it really make a big enough difference to comprehend spending that extra couple hundred?

In most cases, you are better off spending the $100 on something else. Overclocking mostly gives you around 5-10% improvement in performance. Not really noticeable unless you are benchmarking.

3 hours ago, maartendc said:

In most cases, you are better off spending the $100 on something else. Overclocking mostly gives you around 5-10% improvement in performance. Not really noticeable unless you are benchmarking.

Man the price difference in the states/AUD is so huge.. in Germany its 20-40€ for K vs nonK

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

As a matter of fact the non k isn't worth it. The 8700 won't run on the stock cooler without throttling under intense workloads, so you'll need to buy a cooler. That puts it at the same price and gaming performance as the 2700x, except the 2700x has more cores, more threads, and better performance in everything non gaming.

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

5 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Even if you plan on overclocking it, the most I've seen people get it to is 5.0GHz, which is a measily 8% or so over the stock turbo boost. Otherwise, the performance gap between the locked and unlocked versions theoretically is no more than about 8%-10%. Though in practice, it's usually almost no appreciable difference.

So I find little reason to get the unlocked version unless you want bragging rights.

Bragging rights? Hell, i'll run a i3 if it did what I wanted it to do. To each his own, but for me, i'll fork over the extra $50 when getting an i7 for 10% performance increase. It's fun, and worth it! To me bragging is getting a threadripper or EPYC. Basically it all comes down to what you want, and NEED. If you are the type, like me, who loves EXPERIENCING the performance increase (yes, 10% to me is noticeable) then it's worth it. If you don't care, then of course save money and get the non 'k' version.

1 hour ago, DarkSmith2 said:

Man the price difference in the states/AUD is so huge.. in Germany its 20-40€ for K vs nonK

In Brazil it is as high as around 90$ dollars.

Any ways reasons why I defend the i7 8700 locked as always:

Cheaper all in all, you can save on motherboard and cooling (not to mention the chip itself) and still have the identical performance of the i7 8700K at stock

Easier to resell, actually true it's a myth that the unlocked holds better value for resell purposes, if any thing it loses as people will be concerned with overclocking, besides since the locked one is cheaper by default and more appropriated to the majority of places and people it's actually easier to resell, I have had plenty of experience in this my old i7 6700 locked was sold to a church needing a budget video editing build.

Performance is better than ever before, indeed this is the very first time ever Intel has made the frequency of the locked and unlocked identical, both have all cores boost of 4.3ghz, if you have any z370 you can stretch it to 4.4ghz on the locked on... so have an Intel 6c/12t clocked at 4.3ghz all cores out of the box is by all means amazing... its the stock single thread performance of the i7 7700K with multi-threading of a Ryzen 7 1700.

You'll be GPU bottleneck either ways for the most part, if you get an i7 it's likely you'll pair it with a 1070 Ti ~ 1080 Ti and even so unless you're playing at 1080p you'll get GPU bottleneck with either the locked or unlocked variants as both are sufficient to drive even the nVidia's flagship.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

45 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

In Brazil it is as high as around 90$ dollars.

Any ways reasons why I defend the i7 8700 locked as always:

Cheaper all in all, you can save on motherboard and cooling (not to mention the chip itself) and still have the identical performance of the i7 8700K at stock

Easier to resell, actually true it's a myth that the unlocked holds better value for resell purposes, if any thing it loses as people will be concerned with overclocking, besides since the locked one is cheaper by default and more appropriated to the majority of places and people it's actually easier to resell, I have had plenty of experience in this my old i7 6700 locked was sold to a church needing a budget video editing build.

Performance is better than ever before, indeed this is the very first time ever Intel has made the frequency of the locked and unlocked identical, both have all cores boost of 4.3ghz, if you have any z370 you can stretch it to 4.4ghz on the locked on... so have an Intel 6c/12t clocked at 4.3ghz all cores out of the box is by all means amazing... its the stock single thread performance of the i7 7700K with multi-threading of a Ryzen 7 1700.

You'll be GPU bottleneck either ways for the most part, if you get an i7 it's likely you'll pair it with a 1070 Ti ~ 1080 Ti and even so unless you're playing at 1080p you'll get GPU bottleneck with either the locked or unlocked variants as both are sufficient to drive even the nVidia's flagship.

yea if the price difference is so huge the 8700 non-k is a considerable good deal.

But i think overall especially with 6c/12t overclocking gives a more than reasonable bump in multithreading performance when needed. Most played game is currently Cinebench Kappa, if you compare those scores having 250pts (@5GHz) or 350pts (@5.2GHz) more is something very desirable over the Non-K version, especially for people that want to stream or do other stuff where multithreading performance matters. You can potentially get the Multithreading performance of a 4GHz 1700 instead of a stock one when buying the K instead of the non-k

When it comes only to gaming, there is a lot that has to go hand in hand to offer really a big advantage in using a K version. F.e. playing on a relativly low resolution (1080P or even below), the wish to play on high refreshrates (165-240hz), also buying a faster GPU and ram for those purposes and so on. Right now you'll probably get the same performance out of a 1080ti even at 1080p, but what when you plan to upgrade your GPU at a later time and want to buy big, something like a 1180TI. There is a difference and it will grow over time while new GPUs gonna be released, making the K variant stay relevant a bit longer. At some point you'll have to ask yourself, whats next? do i want highrefreshrate gaming or do i want to play on higher resolutions with my rig in the future.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

On 6/5/2018 at 4:08 PM, DarkSmith2 said:

The price difference is actually only $50: $349 vs $299, but people tend to factor in the extra cost of a Z-series motherboard. If not getting the K version, you are better off getting a cheaper motherboard as well.

That, plus the extra cost of a beefy cooler, and the difference is actually bigger than $100 for overclocking.

With AMD, the picture is totally different as:

- All their CPU's are unlocked

- All AM4 motherboards allow overclocking if I am not mistaken

- The AMD boxed coolers are actually not terrible, so you could perhaps even get a modest OC out of them.

35 minutes ago, maartendc said:

The price difference is actually only $50: $349 vs $299, but people tend to factor in the extra cost of a Z-series motherboard. If not getting the K version, you are better off getting a cheaper motherboard as well.

That, plus the extra cost of a beefy cooler, and the difference is actually bigger than $100 for overclocking.

With AMD, the picture is totally different as:

- All their CPU's are unlocked

- All AM4 motherboards allow overclocking if I am not mistaken

- The AMD boxed coolers are actually not terrible, so you could perhaps even get a modest OC out of them.

yea but if i have a hobby and pay for something and want it to last long im not getting the cheapest crap. F.e. i wouldnt take a 2700x on a b350 board either.

And i wouldnt buy anything less than a z370 prime-A for a non-K 8700 either.

I prefer having a good powerdelivery and VRM cooling even if i cant overclock the CPU. It will either affect features or longevity if i choose a b360/h370 board. I mean there is a strix board with good stuff, but its as pricy as the Prime-A and lacks features of it for litteraly the same cost.

Same goes for the cooler, i wouldnt use the boxed cooler of the r7 2700x. Good to have these options but i personally wouldnt choose to for long term usage. 

Had already 3 or 4 boards dying within the last 20years of pc building because ive chosen to buy really cheap. Not going to make that mistake over and over again.

I had had the some problem few days ago, but I decided to buy non-k i7-8700 because I don`t have enough money to buy cooler for it and to spend money for z370 motherboard.

For me, it`s all about money. If I had enough I would go for K, but I don`t have it now.

I have to buy OS, software for video editing... I am not sure which GPU to buy and how much they are important for video editing since I will not work in Adobe. I have to buy in two months.

If I could delay that buying I would buy K, Noctua Nh D 15, Z370 motherboard but I cannot delay it.

sorry for writing mistakes, I am tired.