Is a "K" Version i7 8700 Worth it?

Hi, for my new build I'm stuck between getting the i7 8700 and 8700k. I don't plan on overclocking in the near future but I guess it would be nice to have that feature if I ever changed my mind down the line. Will the 8700k get me more fps running at base speeds compared to the 8700? Also what would the difference in heat be? I understand that if you overclock it will get hotter but what about running at base speeds? Will the 8700k run hotter than the 8700? So all in all, is the AU$100 upgrade worth it for the extra features or should I save that money for other components/games? Thanks in advance :)

Not really worth it if you are not overclocking, but don't get a z370 motherboard.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

2 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Not really worth it if you are not overclocking, but don't get a z370 motherboard.

I'm guessing that these motherboards are more expensive because they add the feature of overclocking?

If you plan to overclock, even if down the line in say 1-2 years, then yes. If you never want to overclock, then no. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Clarkles said:

I'm guessing that these motherboards are more expensive because they add the feature of overclocking?

Yup

My current rig:

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

2 minutes ago, Clarkles said:

Yes, although they also tend tend to look nicer and have more features.

If you can afford it, I suggest getting an 8700k and a Z370 motherboard.  It will add some life to your system.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Yup

Ok, I guess it could be beneficial down the line when the cpu starts to slow down then I can boost it and it will be like a new cpu

On 6/4/2018 at 10:12 AM, TopWargamer said:

Some people want to know why they shouldn't and an argument from both sides by asking themselves, not by reading another person's question because maybe they want more specific clarification.

Edited by Crunchy Dragon

My current rig:

Just now, Clarkles said:

Ok, I guess it could be beneficial down the line when the cpu starts to slow down then I can boost it and it will be like a new cpu

Not really, you would overclock it to a sustainable frequency but after too long of being overclocked at a certain voltage, the chip becomes unstable so you have to lower the overclock after 6 months to a year.

My current rig:

1 minute ago, hconverse02 said:

Some people want to know why they shouldn't and an argument from both sides by asking themselves, not by reading another person's question because maybe they want more specific clarification.

Yes thank you, you are completely right hahaha

Not really, you would overclock it to a sustainable frequency but after too long of being overclocked at a certain voltage, the chip becomes unstable so you have to lower the overclock after 6 months to a year.

It shouldn't.  Not if you ever had a stable overclock.  I've been running mine at the same for a few years now.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Ok I see. Well do you think it would be a bad idea to get a z370 motherboard now but with a non-k version cpu so it still gives me the choice to change to an overclocked variant cpu instead of replacing the motherboard as well in the future? Or should I just not bother if I don't plan to overclock anytime soon?

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

It shouldn't.  Not if you ever had a stable overclock.  I've been running mine at the same for a few years now.

How beneficial is overclocking. I know it will be different in every scenario but does it really make a big enough difference to comprehend spending that extra couple hundred?

Just now, Clarkles said:

How beneficial is overclocking. I know it will be different in every scenario but does it really make a big enough difference to comprehend spending that extra couple hundred?

Not really.  Since you have to cool and overclock and most really good temps on coffee lake come from delidding and spending even more, probably not for you.

My current rig:

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Say you are max your overclock at 5.2 ghz at 1.35v, that will quickly become unstable because it is a max overclock.  That's what I meant by (highest) sustainable frequency.  

My current rig:

Ok, so by the sounds of it I should go for the 8700 :)

1 hour ago, Clarkles said:

I find it makes a big difference.  With Coffee Lake right now, it's not going to make a big difference of course.  Where you get the real benefit (at least in games) is down the line when they're expecting something better.  That's one reason my 4790k is still more than enough, despite being four years old, and on a 5 year old architecture (7 years, if you count when they first displayed it).

1 hour ago, hconverse02 said:

Say you are max your overclock at 5.2 ghz at 1.35v, that will quickly become unstable because it is a max overclock.  That's what I meant by (highest) sustainable frequency.  

Or you could do a more reasonable overclock.  5.2GHz is unlikely to ever be stable for most people.  If you were to do something like 5GHz for example.  Have you ever overclocked a CPU?  If so, which one?  You seem to think it's way more unstable than it is.  They don't just fall apart.  Or even really wear down.

12 hours ago, hconverse02 said:

This is just false. Where is your evidence that OCing at a certain frequency and voltage results in the CPU, over time, becoming unstable? EVERY cpu i've overclocked in the past 15 years, has maintined it's OCed speed for 3-5 years never becoming unstable. 

12 hours ago, Clarkles said:

Ok, so by the sounds of it I should go for the 8700 :)

Man, go with the K version! OCing isn't as scary as you think. With a decent cooler you can get a good OC and it's perfectly safe, as long as you have the necessary MOBO/Ram. Also, it is so fun to get a huge boost from your system. When I OC, it's literally like adding a turbo to your system. It makes it so fast, something that can't be explained, only experienced. Having a 5ghz 24/7 system is just amazing! Why wouldn't you pay a little more for that??

10 hours ago, Clarkles said:

Hi, for my new build I'm stuck between getting the i7 8700 and 8700k. I don't plan on overclocking in the near future but I guess it would be nice to have that feature if I ever changed my mind down the line. Will the 8700k get me more fps running at base speeds compared to the 8700? Also what would the difference in heat be? I understand that if you overclock it will get hotter but what about running at base speeds? Will the 8700k run hotter than the 8700? So all in all, is the AU$100 upgrade worth it for the extra features or should I save that money for other components/games? Thanks in advance :)

Yes it's worth it.

1. Bit faster, and you can overclock later if you want
2. Better resell value

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

2 hours ago, thelightninja said:

Having a 5ghz 24/7 system is just amazing!

5ghz is easy with adequate cooling.  If you max overclock a chip (say 5.4ghz @1.4v) it's going to become physically unstable over time because the heat transfer between the die and intel's shitty thermal compound will degrade and you won't be able to hold a high overclock for a long time (3-12 months with what I've seen).  However if you had a quality aio and say a 5ghz @1.3v overclock, then you would be fine for a dozen years.

10 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Or you could do a more reasonable overclock.  5.2GHz is unlikely to ever be stable for most people.  If you were to do something like 5GHz for example.  Have you ever overclocked a CPU?  If so, which one?  You seem to think it's way more unstable than it is.  They don't just fall apart.  Or even really wear down.

I'm just trying to give a fucking example

My current rig:

1 minute ago, hconverse02 said:

5ghz is easy with adequate cooling.  If you max overclock a chip (say 5.4ghz @1.4v) it's going to become physically unstable over time because the heat transfer between the die and intel's shitty thermal compound will degrade and you won't be able to hold a high overclock for a long time (3-12 months with what I've seen).  However if you had a quality aio and say a 5ghz @1.3v overclock, then you would be fine for a dozen years.

Yea I can see that at a MAX overclock, where you are pumping unsafe voltages. But a standard OC with good temps, in my opinion the chip stays stable indefinitely, until it dies. I've never kept a CPU long enough to die.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

It sounds like you're making shit up.

An example doesn't have to be perfect it just has to be clear to the party it is directed towards, and I thought an example stating that a high overclock won't be useful for long where a stable one as mentioned by @thelightninja would be great

Just now, thelightninja said:

Yea I can see that at a MAX overclock, where you are pumping unsafe voltages. But a standard OC with good temps, in my opinion the chip stays stable indefinitely, until it dies. I've never kept a CPU long enough to die.

I totally agree that a reasonable overclock would make everything a ton better and a standard overclock is reasonable so the 8700k is a way better option if op wants better everyday performance

My current rig:

3 hours ago, thelightninja said:

This is just false. Where is your evidence that OCing at a certain frequency and voltage results in the CPU, over time, becoming unstable? EVERY cpu i've overclocked in the past 15 years, has maintined it's OCed speed for 3-5 years never becoming unstable. 

Man, go with the K version! OCing isn't as scary as you think. With a decent cooler you can get a good OC and it's perfectly safe, as long as you have the necessary MOBO/Ram. Also, it is so fun to get a huge boost from your system. When I OC, it's literally like adding a turbo to your system. It makes it so fast, something that can't be explained, only experienced. Having a 5ghz 24/7 system is just amazing! Why wouldn't you pay a little more for that??

Since overclocking voids warranty do you think it is worth delidding to help with cooler temperatures? If I am already voiding warranty why not do that as well.