Der8auer predelidded cpus seem stupid

So I was browsing the interwebs, as you do, and came across a der8auer (the guy who makes delidding tools) product I hadn't heard of before. It's a pre-delidded, overclocked 8700k with a fancy IHS installed. 

https://www.caseking.de/en/der8auer-core-i7-8700k-5-1-ghz-ultra-edition-cpbu-161.html

And it's €700. Which is ridiculous. So here's what you get-

A factory overclock

A fancy, laser-engraved copper IHS

A presumably cherry-picked CPU.

What the hell? Can anyone think of any plausible reason to buy this over a delidding kit, some liquid metal, and a copper ihs? Hell, you could buy TWO 8700ks and use the best one if you're worried about the silicon lottery. 

Anyone willing to buy Intel's flagship consumer cpu is most likely willing to do all this themselves. The product seems worth a Linus roasting to me.

it's time

1 minute ago, RollTime said:

So I was browsing the interwebs, as you do, and came across a der8auer (the guy who makes delidding tools) product I hadn't heard of before. It's a pre-delidded, overclocked 8700k with a fancy IHS installed. 

https://www.caseking.de/en/der8auer-core-i7-8700k-5-1-ghz-ultra-edition-cpbu-161.html

And it's €700. Which is ridiculous. So here's what you get-

A factory overclock

A presumably cherry-picked CPU.

What the hell? Can anyone think of any plausible reason to buy this over a delidding kit, some liquid metal, and a copper ihs? Hell, you could buy TWO 8700ks and use the best one if you're worried about the silicon lottery. 

Anyone willing to buy Intel's flagship consumer cpu is most likely willing to do all this themselves. The product seems worth a Linus roasting to me.

Short answer. No.

?????

Do you remember the
21st night of September?
Love was changing the minds of pretenders
While chasing the clouds away

Our hearts were ringing
In the key that our souls were singing.
As we danced in the night,
Remember how the stars stole the night away

I honestly wouldn't buy one.

I like the DIY aspect of my PC. If I need something done, I'll do it myself.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I know loads of people that don't want to go through the hassle, and frankly gambling to see if they'll get an awesome OC chip. Then on top of that buying the tool and going through the possibility of destroying your CPU applying liquid metal. PLUS this has a 2 year warranty? Honestly, it's not that bad of a deal at all if you're one who wants the performance without the downsides.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The regular intel IHS is already copper...

This is just a lot of marketing.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

13 minutes ago, Dankk said:

Short answer. No.

13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I honestly wouldn't buy one.

I like the DIY aspect of my PC. If I need something done, I'll do it myself.

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You're paying for the service, not the product. If you don't think the service is worth the cost of the processor, then don't indulge in it.

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The regular intel IHS is already copper...

This is just a lot of marketing.

I should have changed the title as I kind of answered my own question. I definitely think this is a dumb product, to be clear.

it's time

I have thought about a 7700K from silicon lottery but thats only 330

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

7 hours ago, RollTime said:

It's silver, not copper.

IHS aus Silber (99%)

7 hours ago, RollTime said:

Anyone willing to buy Intel's flagship consumer cpu is most likely willing to do all this themselves

If you are willing to do something and are capable of doing it and you have the tools to do it then it's almost always better to do it yourself. And that covers not only delidded CPU's but 99% aspects of your life.

Then again, if you are not comfortable of going with conductive liquid metal near your naked CPU die, it might be a better idea to let a professional do it. That way you will also get this:

24 Monate King Mod-Garantie inklusive

Plus it's pre-binned to some degree.

I'm not saying that I would pay that much for a mainstream CPU but there are reasons why someone might find it a good idea.

EDIT: finally managed to format this post the way I needed.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I would never buy it but there are definitely people who want the best performance without having to fuss. 

That's an F in the profile pic

I think it's only worth it if you really really want a super good overclocking chip. sure, you can cherry-pick your own ones by ordering multiples and sending them back but even if you buy 3 i7s you might not get lucky. That said it still is a huge premium you pay for it. But on the other hand... imagine how many cpus this guy has to go thru to find the good ones. not that they don;t oc well but that one special piece of silicon is rare so if you buy the best they have it kinda makes sense.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

I would buy the advanced edition of the 8700k @5,1 GHz. It´s 170€ cheaper and i don't think that a silver IHS will make any noticeable difference compared to a copper one.

If i do my next hardware upgrade, i will buy a predelidded cpu from caseking.

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D,  RAM: 64 GB Gskill Trident Z DDR5 @6200 Cl32, GPU: Asus RTX 4090 Strix OC, Pump: 2 Aquacomputer D5 Next @ 60% (~160 l/h), Radiators: 2 Mo-Ra3 360 and 1 XSPC  RX360V3 with 21 fans @650 RPM.

Warranty on a delidded CPU maybe? ONLY reason I could think of.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430