Lenovo to Make the First True Full-Screen Phone

So apparently Lenovo is making a full screen phone. I guess better than Apple and Samsung. By looking at the picture from this article, the phone looks to have virtually no border. This phone has a 91.3 screen to body ratio! The Iphone X only has 81.49 ratio. It seems like Apple has been beat again. I wonder if in the future, apple will try and figure out this technology and then produce itr and say it is a brand new concept in the SmartPhone world. 

Link to Article;

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/lenovo-teases-what-might-be-the-first-true-e2-80-98all-screen-e2-80-99-phone/ar-AAxeWzo 

All I have to say is: meh.

There's nothing new whatsoever in these upcoming devices. And what, the front camera will slide from the top so it could be easier to break and longer to initialize? No thanks.

I will wait until one day the camera could be hidden behind the screen without the loss of quality (like the new fingerprint sensors). Till then, I don't want things sticking out of my phone.

I wish people would stop jerking off to screen-to-body ratio as if it's the only thing that matters.  Lenovo's phone will probably lose a lot of its lustre the moment you remember you have to pop up your front-facing camera (assuming there is one).  Having an efficient screen ratio is good; compromising everything to say you have the maximum ratio is silly.

I'm still curious about the phone, but this being Lenovo-branded likely means you won't see it in North America anyway.

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Absolutely pointless.

wdym? This is great.  Imagine playing minecraft with no phone bezel.

Sooooo pretty similar to the already announced Vivo APEX then?

img-5177-1.jpg

Vivo APEX ^^^

And Lenovo's offering...which is a heavily edited glamour shot, not an in use shot.

AAxeyE4.img?h=400&w=225&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Yay. A device that is supposed to be carried just became more fragile.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

100% screen-to-body ratio will eventually come. There are already some good designs towards it like Xiaomi and Vivo too. 

They all just need to figure how to incorporate everything under display that it works well enough, higher standards. We've see speaker under display, motor cam, embeded fingerprint sensor into the display. It will be challenging to make them top quality so the phone is not just looks. 

But even if the phones come with 90%+ screen-to-body ratio with just enough bezels for cam, sensors, slits for stereo speakers still amazing. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

28 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

100% screen-to-body ratio will eventually come. There are already some good designs towards it like Xiaomi and Vivo too. 

They all just need to figure how to incorporate everything under display that it works well enough, higher standards. We've see speaker under display, motor cam, embeded fingerprint sensor into the display. It will be challenging to make them top quality so the phone is not just looks. 

But even if the phones come with 90%+ screen-to-body ratio with just enough bezels for cam, sensors, slits for stereo speakers still amazing. 

Samsung could have done 90%+ by getting rid of the bottom bezel. I'm personally happy they didn't, because most high ratio phones have huge asymmetries which looks very odd in many cases. (For instance the notch based phones just look bad compared to symmetric ones).

Looks is mainly what prevents higher ratios, but I guess it's okay for the time being.

10 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Samsung could have done 90%+ by getting rid of the bottom bezel. I'm personally happy they didn't, because most high ratio phones have huge asymmetries which looks very odd in many cases. (For instance the notch based phones just look bad compared to symmetric ones).

Looks is mainly what prevents higher ratios, but I guess it's okay for the time being.

No screw notch. I definitely meant keeping symmetry for sure. I guess we'll see what they have in store for their S10 though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Meh, the Doogee Mix 4 executes the bezeless design better with a sliding design. 

4 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

No screw notch. I definitely meant keeping symmetry for sure. I guess we'll see what they have in store for their S10 though.

I think they'll implement screen space fingerprint scanner first, and maybe tweak it a bit, but I wouldn't see them going overboard on screen/body ratio, solely because they pioneered it on mainstream, and they found a quite elegant way to implement it (s8 and s9 are gorgeous).

To be honest I'd prefer all of them to focus on software, as well as battery life and so on, since that's the most limiting factor to actually use those devices.

13 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

I think they'll implement screen space fingerprint scanner first, and maybe tweak it a bit, but I wouldn't see them going overboard on screen/body ratio, solely because they pioneered it on mainstream, and they found a quite elegant way to implement it (s8 and s9 are gorgeous).

To be honest I'd prefer all of them to focus on software, as well as battery life and so on, since that's the most limiting factor to actually use those devices.

Yeah, under display fingerprint scanner for sure and probably higher screen to body ratio a bit I'd say. Probably some design change since it's their 10th one. Personally I'm not a fan of curved display and corners, more into flat display and rectangular look, like Xiaomi ones. But yeah everyone should have at least 4000mAh battery. 

Next we'll have screens on BOTH sides

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I don't get it. Are they planning to sell us multiple phones for an Eyefinity setup next?

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 hour ago, Shreyas1 said:

Next we'll have screens on BOTH sides

Actually if I remember right, Samsung has made prototypes for that some time ago.

They haven't released a consumer phone like that yet, but they probably won't it was cringeworthy at the time

I really dont understand the chase for ever smaller bezels after a certain point ...I mean I have a v20 and the bottom corners still register the bottom part of my thumb from time to time and I have a silicon case over it ...doesnt this just make the problem worse?

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Yay. A device that is supposed to be carried just became more fragile.

Uhhh. It's not like the bezel parts of the screen were made of a different material than the screen.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

4 hours ago, Commodus said:

compromising everything to say you have the maximum ratio is silly.

You heard it here first. The iPhone X is just silly.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Please edit your post to match Tech News guidelines or it may be moved out of Tech News.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-posting-guidelines-read-before-posting/

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I don't understand the push for higher screen body ratio. I never look at a phone and think "I wish the screen body ratio was higher". I mean I just want a solid phone that works well and does what I want it to. I don't need a no bezel phone to accomplish that. 

4 hours ago, SHG_Marsh said:

This phone has a 91.3 screen to body ratio!

You read that wrong. The Mi Mix 2 has a 91.3% screen-to-body ratio, this Lenovo phone would be higher given the lack of a chin.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

First it was an arms face with camera megapixels. Now it's an arms race with body to screen ratios. They don't learn don't they?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580