Samsung, Hynix & Micron facing DRAM Class Action suit

6 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Remember when 4GB DDR3 used to cost $50? Pepperidge Farm remembers. 

Remember when it was €50 for 8GB? That's what I paid in 2015 -_- also pretty unrelated but PSUs also seem to have gone up in price, my EVGA G2 650W was €60, now you can't get a decent unit here for under €75

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Demand increased by upto 25%, they increased supply by upto 15%. Gee I wonder why there's a shortage.

The question the courts need to answer is did these fabs have the capability of increasing productivity more than they did?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

im gonna be honest here, if it is for me, for all those money I can get, I will join the side of monopoly without blink of an eye. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

I got 8GB for that price 5 years ago.

I got ddr3 2400 for the that price back in 2015

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Remember when it was €50 for 8GB? That's what I paid in 2015 -_- also pretty unrelated but PSUs also seem to have gone up in price, my EVGA G2 650W was €60, now you can't get a decent unit here for under €75

There's actually a power supply shortage going on too atm

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

There's actually a power supply shortage going on too atm

to me it has seemed more like people are more aware that shit ones blow up your system and will buy the good stuff no matter the cost so they pushed them up. havent heard anything about any shortage and its not like i have seen a single model ever sold out either

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

So it would seem Samsung made 14.66 billion dollars profit in Q1, that is ~160 million dollars per day, the previous class action suit this law group won was for 300 million split between samsung and hynix (I don't know the ratio but I assume at least a third was Hynix's money), so they can make back the profit from a lawsuit in a day to a day and a half. Now as to what % of their profit is from dram/memory its hard to say, however their profits surged 58% so it's likely a large portion maybe even a majority portion.

In essence even if they get fined and have to pay out billions they are not inclined to stop due to the reward fir doing so negating any backlash. They'd have to lose about 8.5 billions dollars (assuming the surge is due almost primarily to memory fixing) for them to even care FOR THE QUARTER

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

57 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

to me it has seemed more like people are more aware that shit ones blow up your system and will buy the good stuff no matter the cost so they pushed them up. havent heard anything about any shortage and its not like i have seen a single model ever sold out either

Linus mentioned it in a recent video if i recall correctly 

9 hours ago, dizmo said:

One has to wonder if they'd bother. If supply is stretched like it is now, the companies could easily reduce their supply to Apple and increase it to other areas, while maintaining the same revenue. Apple doesn't want to lose potential profit. It's not like they feel the increase in their bottom line as much anyway with their high profit margins.

This blindly believes the version of events from people that have a vested interest in lying about their supplies and difficulties and could even be a proven fact in court at one point.

Sorry but until this is resolved, it is very difficult for me to accept that their supply is 'stretched like it is now' as a result or anything other than their desire to increase prices and not their actual capacity to meet demand.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yeah um the prices need to cut in half though. While it's not as issue as graphics cards pricing it's still like twice than it used to be. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

13 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

patents are making it much harder to start another dram company.

I feel like patents are  one of a monopolists best friends.

These amateur companies like 'Samsung' 'Hynix' will never learn. Just introduce your products at vastly inflated prices in the first place. 

17 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

"Let the market sort itself out!"

Regulation is good, this legal pursuit is good. Unchecked corporations are a no-no. 

Might be a little late for stepping in here as these corporations have amassed a great deal of power already. If price fixing is so profitable that even fines are of little concern, what motive would there be to get these corporations to knock it off when they could just cut a check and continue on? The RAM chips are in constant demand, so any punishment that may threaten the supply (or have the corporation threaten an embargo) may cause more undue damage than good.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

19 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

(or have the corporation threaten an embargo) 

Let them. Smaller players will undoubtedly pop up. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

No matter if this is true or not,

a fine is not a good punishment against price fixing, a good one is to remove their involved pattent

This way they could be more competitor and they would be less likely to do such things

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

Let them. Smaller players will undoubtedly pop up. 

There's at least one potential player in China, I'm sure (if production is great enough, could singlehandedly bring down pricing). I've doubts that many smaller players will pop up without significant financial backing, and certainly won't resolve RAM pricing in the short or even intermediate term.

Apple, I suppose, would have enough financial firepower to jumpstart a memory vendor within a fairly short time (in exchange for preferential treatment) if things got especially dire. Perhaps even Intel could get in on the RAM game.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

8 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Apple, I suppose, would have enough financial firepower to jumpstart a memory vendor within a fairly short time (in exchange for preferential treatment) if things got especially dire. 

Apple doesn't really care about this business. 

Idk, i dont think it matters. Probably shouldnt do it... but beats aren't studio headphones and have a horrible frequency response, cost under 15$ to make and are sold for hundreds. 

People do it all the time.

This won't be helping their stock, that's for sure. 

8UlQCUs.png

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

1 hour ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Idk, i dont think it matters. Probably shouldnt do it... but beats aren't studio headphones and have a horrible frequency response, cost under 15$ to make and are sold for hundreds. 

The difference here is that Beats isn't a manufacturer AND supplier AND seller for the industry. You HAVE the option to NOT BUY BEATS, you DON'T have the option to not buy Hynix, Crucial, or Samsung RAM as the market has normalized around these prices. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Hopefully they can actually get sued and fined a proper amount. with the last DRAM price fixing lawsuit and government fine, they still came out ahead in terms of net income for doing the price fixing than they had lost from the fines and settlement.

It does very little to discourage bad behavior from these companies if the fines don't at least take away all additional money they made from the crimes.

1.Fine them as shite load.

2.Use that money to start a public corporation to produce own DRAM chips at very low margins.

3. Current manufacturers forced to lower margins.

4. Almost everybody wins.

china china china china china china china 

where are you

we need help

nanya nanya nanya nanya nanya nanya

we still remember you

please start making consumer ram chips again

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

23 hours ago, NoOverflow said:

No matter if this is true or not,

a fine is not a good punishment against price fixing, a good one is to remove their involved pattent

This way they could be more competitor and they would be less likely to do such things

I like this,  the whole idea that if a company can't play fair with in the system that is designed to protect it,  then they can go without the protections of the system.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

22 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

There's at least one potential player in China, I'm sure (if production is great enough, could singlehandedly bring down pricing). I've doubts that many smaller players will pop up without significant financial backing, and certainly won't resolve RAM pricing in the short or even intermediate term.

Apple, I suppose, would have enough financial firepower to jumpstart a memory vendor within a fairly short time (in exchange for preferential treatment) if things got especially dire. Perhaps even Intel could get in on the RAM game.

There are at least 3 new players in China, with funding from the Chinese government.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12681/chinese-dram-industry-spreading-its-wings-two-more-dram-fabs-ready

Problem is... they're far behind the major players. Even if their efforts go very smoothly, they're bringing an obsolete process to market. 22nm is a joke when we're talking 2019 mass production. Samsung started mass production at 20nm, a half-node ahead of 22nm, in 2014. Micron and Hynix followed in 2015.