Amazon Vesta - First home robot by Amazon?

Nicnac

Very little info about this as of yet, will update once we know more.

dyrm4spvqaainut-crop.jpg?w=990&crop=1

Amazon is reportedly working on a Home Robot called "Vesta", plans to launch 2019.

We don't know what it will be for, or anything really.

The project has apparently been in the works for a number of years, but things are finally starting to take off, as the company lists openings for a number of gigs in and around robotics, with titles like “Software Engineer, Robotics.” No word on precisely what such a robot would do, and Amazon, naturally, isn’t commenting.

However, don't get your hopes up for a spot mini version from Amazon. 

Jeff Bezos, of course, is a well-known friend to robots. He’s been seen around town with the likes of SpotMini recently, and before that, the company acquired Kiva Systems to form Amazon Robotics. That department, however, has been primarily focused on fulling Amazon’s own shipping and logistics requirements with industrial warehouse robots.

Will it be an Alexa driving around your living room?

Glorified Roomba?

Flying Alexa?

Robotic Arm Alexa?

Probably nothing too crazy but a step in an interesting direction. Honestly can't wait to have a giant robot arm hanging from the kitchen ceiling doing all the cooking ^^

Sources: Tech Crunch quoting a Bloomberg article.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

heck no, I do my own cooking!

Now if the robot wants to do the launcry and vacuuming I won't argue!

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Looks like Howie Mandel in the photo.

Does this thing know how to fetch?

But no, I don't want one. Suddenly an AI vacuum doesn't seem as invasive....

21 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

heck no, I do my own cooking!

Now if the robot wants to do the launcry and vacuuming I won't argue!

Aside from Pizza, barely I eat even requires cooking.

We've had "dumb" robot vacuums for how many years now?

So I didn't read the article, but whatever the thing in the pictures is, was definitely made by Boston Dynamics, as clearly labeled on the side.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Isn't that a Boston Dynamic Spot Mini in the image though?

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Ehhh I'm good.  Sides I like being able to get up walk around and do chores good for the joints and ligaments. ;)

Rover stop running into my leg!! Do want to be RMAed??

20 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

Ehhh I'm good.  Sides I like being able to get up walk around and do chores good for the joints and ligaments. ;)

Painful joints and ligaments? There is an app robot for that!

2 hours ago, Okjoek said:

Aside from Pizza, barely I eat even requires cooking.

That's worrisome 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

read title as "Amazon Vista"

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

read title as "Amazon Vista"

"The OS absolutely Nobody asked for!"

xD

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

this is such a both "yes this is awesome" and a "screw off with that shit" for me... i really enjoy the idea of stuff that will cook or whatever for me, but man do i freaking hate "smart speakers"

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

this is such a both "yes this is awesome" and a "screw off with that shit" for me... i really enjoy the idea of stuff that will cook or whatever for me, but man do i freaking hate "smart speakers"

same. Smart speakers are the most annoying and useless thing imo

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

If it can wash my clothes, iron and fold them for me then by all means.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

this thing better be able to open the door and accept amazon packages

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

35 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

If it can wash my clothes, iron and fold them for me then by all means.

i dont mind washing them nor ironing them.

But folding clothes takes forever in big families. As someone who comes from a family of 7 and had to do the laundry a lot of the time, I sooo wish there was a way to automate folding and organizing of garments.

But even thinking about it sounds soooo complex... im not sure if we'll ever solve it in my lifetime without very elaborate and huge machinery...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

It's funny how it shows Bezos walking beside one of the Boston Dynamics bots, and not one of his own making. A bot that they've (BN) been working on for years, and yet Amazon has the audacity to say their bot (which as far as I can tell has not been shown ANYWHERE) is coming in 2019.

Need I also remind the "Court", that Bezos is so far behind the curve with Elon and rocket tech that it's laughable.

If they do manage to pull it off, great. But I ain't holding my breath that it'll be anything more than a "meh" bot.

That all said, I'm looking forward to seeing more accessible robots and smart-tech. Once they manage to keep it secure, that is.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

4 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

That's worrisome 

Fresh produce? Fruits, Vegitables, Dairy (mostly Yogurt and Pepper-jack cheese), multi-grain bread, nuts (usually pistachios or peanut butter (for, you guessed it, PB&J)).

What part of most of that requires cooking to be edible?

Worrisome? Pish-posh.

As far as meat goes that does need to be cooked I treat it as mostly a luxury food and only eat it on Pizza or in Taco or something.