Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

9 hours ago, Cluey said:

They aren't asking for a warranty repair, they're asking to pay to have the device repaired.

Down here, in Oz, the we've got consumer laws. This link talks about third party repairs and being excluded from getting help from Apple afterwards.

I've no idea what the consumer laws are in Canada, I'm sure they aren't good in the US as the US is all about screwing the consumers out of as much money as they can, because Capitalism. :-/

okay, let's just ignore the word warranty and replace it with terms and conditions. Apple's Repair Terms & Conditions is what I should have said instead of warranty and I'm just an idiot for saying warranty. 

Even with or without warranty, apple or any AASP would not fix the iMac because they have to follow Apple's Repair Terms & Conditions :

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/terms/repair/Retail_Repair_US_Terms_Conditions.html

Unless AASP want to lose their 1st party privileges with apple, the only way the iMac would get repaired would be sadly by a third party repair company. A third party company that does care if you had disassembled or reassembled the computer, since they are not a first party apple repair company or ASSP and most of the time do not seem to follow the Apple Repair Terms and conditions.

Sadly, the only solution is to take it to a third party repair company or to linus's friend known as: 

Louis Rossmann

You could probably make a video on how simple it was to fix and replace the damaged screen.

Threaten a full page article in one of your main Newspapers.

I would name the makers of the parts, see how they like their name being dragged through the mud due to Apples anti consumer policy.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

While this probably isn't going to solve anything, I thought I would at least drop this information. Looking on Apple's training and certifications site, there is a certification for the iMac Pro (2017). Without having the serial number, I can't exactly tell you what parts exactly would be able to be ordered. Not that I can be of any help but whenever ATLAS and GCX sync, I will be certified to repair an iMac Pro. It can be serviced and repaired, but like I said, I don't know what parts are technically available. Hope this helps. 

8 minutes ago, konoble14 said:

While this probably isn't going to solve anything, I thought I would at least drop this information. Looking on Apple's training and certifications site, there is a certification for the iMac Pro (2017). Without having the serial number, I can't exactly tell you what parts exactly would be able to be ordered. Not that I can be of any help but whenever ATLAS and GCX sync, I will be certified to repair an iMac Pro. It can be serviced and repaired, but like I said, I don't know what parts are technically available. Hope this helps. 

Again, is this through a Canadian AASP center? If so, what is the Exam code.

Just so we can save some people some effort, the cert program IS available now, it wasn't when we had shot the video/gone through this.

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

On 2018-04-17 at 3:11 PM, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

Sue them for refusal of service

Hey Linus. I posted this in the video comments as well. 

You are a HUGE name on the internet. You can force Apple's hand by emailing Tim Cook. His email address is tcook@apple.com. I work for a university and we weren't getting any satisfaction on an MacPro we'd bought that was having major issues. An email to Tim and all of a sudden, the ball got rolling again. Don't know if that will work in your case, but it is worth a shot, ESPECIALLY given your notoriety and web presence. Best of luck.

5 hours ago, m8377 said:

Again, is this through a Canadian AASP center? If so, what is the Exam code.

Depending on the certification all you need is to pass an assessment that is given on ATLAS. You can take that assessment as many times as you want to receive your certification for that specific device. It's not like the ACMT/ACIT assessment that you have to pay for and pass with a certain percentage. But like I said, I can't really know anything about the iMac Pro repairs without having a serial number. Without that, I can't really verify if what Apple is saying is actually true. Looking at it now though, there is no listed assessments on GCX regarding the iMac Pro (2017), but there is an available certification.

I work for an AASP in Australia. As much as you guys might think that you've done due diligence to get the facts straight about issues around Apple repairs, you don't know how it works. There are a number of possibilities for refusal of repair or refusal of parts being sent. It could have been stated that it was not safe to go ahead with the repair therefore was refused, or proper diagnostics were not ran and thus were refused by the warehouse. Could be that they saw you tampering with their product, for out that this machine was yours and refused service, which they have every right to do so. Only in the case of a dead unit can diagnostics not be ran. That AASP that you talked to lied about not being able to get that cert, I have that cert and I've had it since before the iMac pro was released. Please try a more reputable AASP.

I didn't realize before that you are looking to get the PSU, Logic board and Display. You're also claiming that Apple is blaming it's service providers, technicians and customers. You are to blame for your broken unit, yes that is true, but you don't even realize what you are talking about. The AASPs are trained, and you got bad information. You broke your unit which you think needs a new PSU, logic board and display, which means no one that is apple authorised will touch it. You maliciously broke it. Buy a new one.

A cool video, if I may suggest, is to get a water jet cutter or laser cutter to destroy the product, perhaps make the letters LTT in it.

Only if you your going to scrap it, but I doubt its worth fixing.

The, answer easy? Why a IMac, go with a Windows PC your life will be easier with more options to upgrade. You're a computer geek like us anyway

Its true what some people have mentioned.

The screens are probably out-sourced so therefore are made specific for purpose. But yeah, probably like LG or ViewSonic or something.

Sorry guys, have no solutions for you.

Maybe take it further with Apple? See if there could be a resolution or way to get it fixed by themselves? High hopes I guess but you never know.

Sometimes talking to the 'right' person in support can help. 

For example, have spoken to HP before about upgrading laptop HDD to SSD so guarantee is not voided and one lady replied, 'yes you can upgrade the laptop with the SSD but, only the 256Gb version will work. The 500Gb version will not work.'

I was like, ok, that makes perfect sense NOT. If 256Gb SSD works the so will a 500Gb SSD which is what I was upgrading to. Is a couple of years old and I thought only older systems had limits on memory and HDD sizes? Its a SATA connection of course, none of this ribbon cable IDE rubbish. Sigh. Good old days.

So basically, try talking to a few people at Apple, you may get the answers your looking for....maybe.

Especially how your channel has a lot of people who watch your content. Surely they knew who you were? Now is going to damage their reputation.

So silly.

If I knew what status you have on youtube and I was Apple, I would be like.. Here, its under guarantee still, here is a replacement for you!

Good for promotion, good for you. Winner!

1st LONG post on your forum. YEY! And sorry lol.

Hi, after I have seen your video, I registered a BBS account, the first time for your imac, you can come to China, China with taobao, huaqiang north, not only can fix your imac, even can upgrade parts, the magic change, time is short, reductive degree is high, I don't understand English, all the following English is to use the machine translation

LMAO!

I worked as a Repair Tech at MicroCenter. Had a co-woker (Apple Certifed tech) have the exact same thing happen. the imac screen slipped and hit the screw driver set directly under it. CRACK!  It was an older model iMac, so replacement glass panel was easy to order and replace. 

I am not certain as to how things are with the super new iMac Pro. Its been a year since i was a tech there...

But give MicroCenter a try. They are an Apple ASP. If they can't do it....then good luck.

I know a guy several that works at Apple and I’m pretty sure they can send the product to the depots to be repaired for the inconvenience of your problem. If you haven’t gotten the product fixed already. But that is definitely stupid that the store couldn’t fix it there. They could of requested to send your iMac Pro to the depots for repairs. You should of talked to a manager. Yes you did say that the store couldn’t repair it there since Apple Couldn’t send the part to the store but the store could of at least sent the iMac Pro to a depots. Contact if your wanting that friend information. Or I could reach out for you.

Seems odd that they have no available solution.

Back in the MP3 player days I broke the screen of mine, I asked about repairs and they said unfortunately the LCD wasn't able to be removed from the board.

However they did offer to sell me a brand new one at wholesale cost price as a replacement.

You'd think they could do this.

Alternatively give them a refurbished unit at cost or an advanced repair refurb unit and charge for parts cost.

Not rocket science.  This is a really bad look and will hurt the company in PR more than a discounted replacement or refurb.

On 4/17/2018 at 3:15 PM, Cajmo said:

Isn't it the same screen as on the 5K iMac? Couldn't you just get a screen for that?

If you read their email, the problem wasn't just a simple screen broken. As Linus stated verbally. It was the unit wouldn't power on (issue with the power supply) and short out the connection to the motherboard. Apple doesn't design their products to be fixed in this situation, so no they aren't going to order a motherboard, with a soldered gpu, could and any other components that might be soldered on. It'll be cheaper to buy some new iMac Pro. Otherwise meaning, Linus's employee totalled the car - I mean iMac Pro.

This is why Apple's TOS states they can deny service if you open up the product.

745D052C-FB3B-415D-8869-DE15111F7D21.png

13 minutes ago, MorbidGod said:

If you read their email, the problem wasn't just a simple screen broken. As Linus stated verbally. It was the unit wouldn't power on (issue with the power supply) and short out the connection to the motherboard. Apple doesn't design their products to be fixed in this situation, so no they aren't going to order a motherboard, with a soldered gpu, could and any other components that might be soldered on. It'll be cheaper to buy some new iMac Pro. Otherwise meaning, Linus's employee totalled the car - I mean iMac Pro.

This is why Apple's TOS states they can deny service if you open up the product.

745D052C-FB3B-415D-8869-DE15111F7D21.png

Why can they refuse repair if you open a device?

Email Tim Cook Apple CEO with a link to your video tcook@apple.com 

Of course you wont actually get Tim but his team and hopefully his team can help sort you out. 

I emailed when my MacBook Pro started showing staining on the screen when Apple where refusing to repair/replace the screen.

I had a new screen fitted within 2 weeks.

Worth a try.

On 2018-04-17 at 3:11 PM, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

Buy a new one with Apple Care, swap the screen with your broken one and return it for a refund.

Although not being ethical and a bit risky, one could morally justify it.