Apple REFUSED to Fix our iMac Pro

You know the saddest part?

This is an iMac Pro, equipped with workstation grade hardware. So it's made for business customers, people that are gonna earn their living on the device. The way it works with other companies like dell, lenovo etc. Is that they offer NBD service, you request service and they come in next day with needed parts. Because for business customer, what is truely important is being able to continue working, regardless of if warranty is still there or not there or whatever. Cost of downtime often would outscale the costs of paid repair - so regardless of what it takes, you just want your damn computer back and running. You can't be out of business for 30 days so apple can figure out their shit.

"You had a huge overvoltage and your PSU fried? You're gonna pay but sure, we get you up and running ASAP. A piece of metal flew into your screen? You're paying for the screen but sure, we're there with a new one tomorrow." That's what a proper business consumer oriented company should react like.

Based on linus' case, apple is just unable to serve a business customer and they should stop trying to sell "pro" equipment and pretend they can serve pros. Because clearly they can't. With that shit customer service, they can put destroy someone's business.

13 hours ago, GabenJr said:

They didn't really give us any official reasoning other than "HQ told us to stop working on it". When we reached out to an AASP, they said there's a months-long wait list on parts availability, along with the lack of certification for technicians.

To clarify a bit further, the screen is at this point destroyed. The logic board may or may not be OK, and the power supply seems OK. Basically we listed those parts by going off what the Apple store told us their troubleshooting steps were going to be, and the fact that their replacing the PSU (the one step they managed to complete before being told to stop) didn't help.

How much for me to buy it as is? At this point it's waiting for the displays to become available (if ever!). I'd assume everything else is delay tactics from Apple on that. They don't have any spare screens I guess.

But I'd but it off you... you can still run an external display, right?

Actual real help on offer: I'm no professional, but I use to work in insurance. If you want to send your customer booklet (no personal info needed) or the name of your brokers (I can ask for a booklet via email) I could see if you are covered for a new replacement under insurance? :ph34r:

does the imac pro output to an external display via thunderbolt 3? if not, i'd say the motherbopard is damaged. have you checked the voltages on the psu.

can you try the bare components in another test bench to see if they work (cpu, ram etc...)

When all went wrong with Apple and I I got a hold of this guy his name is Omar he’s a nice guy he might be able to help you.

Thanks for contacting Apple. I called to discuss your case but was unable to reach you. 

Please reply to this email and let me know when you’re available, or if you’d like me to call a different number. You can also give me a call at 1-877-388-0879 ext. 1112211. My normal office hours are Monday-Wednesday and Friday and Saturday 12-9 PM EST.

I know a guy who can do this he fixed my Mac to like 2 years ago but i use a laptop know as mac asked money like toilet paper

You can try Chinese Market there is an youtuber called strange part he knows lot of people in China "Apple people"so do contact him or get some help thank you

In Australia it is illegal to sell a product with out being able to service it. You may want to look in to your consumer rights. If you find something similar to what I am talking about you should forward the information to apple and remind them of there legal requirement to fix it.

Hi Linus,

I am a AASP and the Parts and "Repair-Manuals" are available and I´ve already made my iMac Pro Certificate. If you want to you should also be able to repair your iMac with a 5K Display out of a 2014 or 2015 iMac. But a Repair should generally available. If you need more Information please reply. 

Nice greetings from Germany!

7 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

if you semi mocking apple in your review, and have a huge PCMR fanbase, and have millions of subscribers on youtube, shouldnt be too surprised that apple refuse to fix your mac (plus that you voided the warranty 1st). 

voiding the warranty isnt a part of this. linus was fully aware, and he wanted to PAY for the repair.

7 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

5ad6b545f08bd_ScreenShot2018-04-18at11_02_09AM.thumb.png.3f169f85782586fadb2d83e452e68d46.png

well I think there isnt a problem to repair the computer, after all you can bill the customer.

towards the topic as a whole:

I think this is BS, as someone else already said, this thing is supposed to be a workstation, kind acrazy.

1 hour ago, SwanSong83 said:

This video just honestly pissed me off. So I may make a post about it soon.

I don't wanna be rude,
 his logic does make any since, I mean If i bought a GPU I can do whatever i do with it even if i used it as Door stopper. 
no one should stop me.
it's my property. 

trying to see this from Apple's perspective, possible ways to deal with this:

A) this customer bought from us a very expensive product and we want to serve him the best we can so he'll be happy and return

B) anything goes as part of our master plan to make customers buy a new product as fast as possible

C) our customers are idiots and will buy from us no matter what, so customer support and good experience is irrelevant 

D) we are so **** rich, **** you, we do what ever the **** we want, don't like it go **** yourself

15 hours ago, GabenJr said:

WE broke our iMac Pro... But then we tried to PAY Apple to repair it. They REFUSED. Come with us on a journey of frustration...

Buy(?) an iMac Pro on Amazon: http://geni.us/eSNg9q

just send it to india ..

u will get fixed 

13 minutes ago, asus killer said:

trying to see this from Apple's perspective, possible ways to deal with this:

A) this customer bought from us a very expensive product and we want to serve him the best we can so he'll be happy and return

B) anything goes as part of our master plan to make customers buy a new product as fast as possible

C) our customers are idiots and will buy from us no matter what, so customer support and good experience is irrelevant 

D) we are so **** rich, **** you, we do what ever the **** we want, don't like it go **** yourself

there's even a much simpler way. give hime a manual, and the parts and let the customer repair what he messed up.

Just now, My1 said:

there's even a much simpler way. give hime a manual, and the parts and let the customer repair what he messed up.

there were no parts or so they say, still it can happen. But they should have offered a timeline to receive the parts and lend one to him in the meantime, or if not possible offered to sell a new one with a discount and accept that one. That's how i would have solved it in my company.

wasnt the situation more like that Apple HQ didnt want to deliver because a certification was needed that didnt even exist yet?

I think we might be able to help for the parts. 
Request to please get in touch on PM. 

@LinusTech Have you heard of GSX? Its by apple and allows you to buy parts by apple themselves.... HOWEVER! you will need a Apple Technician Certification.... As just ask Antony or whatever to pass the Apple Service Fundamentals Exam (SVC-17A) followed by the ACMT 2017 Mac Service Certification Exam (MAC-17A) then abuse Apples trust by buying any parts you need.... The lint to the training and GSX will be bellow!

Ok but first I should explain what GSX is. GSX stands for global service exchange and allows a certified technician to be able to buy parts from apple, even parts so rare, Craigslist and Ebay don't have them! GSX also allow you to get free up to date manuals by apple AND! talk to a internal apple technician in real time like discord! However passing both exams to gain Apple Certified Mac Technician (ACMT) 2017 status will not be easy! To help, i have listed some resources bellow to help anyone wanting to be one or Linus the man himself! In total after all the training and resources this will cost you OVER USD3000+.... Once he is ready and buys the exam, he/she has 48 hours to complete it before you have to buy the exam again....

BTW if you wanna know why I know all this shit is cause I'm 13 and want to gain the certification myself, but its too expensive and I would feel embarrassed... But if someone would pay for me, that would be cool.... I sooo wanna work for Lunus when I'm older....

https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/classicLogin.html?appIdKey=45571f444c4f547116bfd052461b0b3ab1bc2b445a72138157ea8c5c82fed623  Buy the parts here when your certified!

http://www.pearsonvue.com/apple/  Where to take the exams!

https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/login.html?appIdKey=bfb0171cf5421a919189706e67780f9f127fed5d4feb2be5d622ef001c75c369&rv=2&path=viewer/dsRedirect  Uhhh I forgot but i know that is is called the Global Certification Exchange

https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/signin?appIdKey=1ea15405d226cd6f59bd14aa75d4ac6789d651047f2b06f4332f6d80cb1e7dcf Where to access ATLAS by Apple

https://www.macworld.com/article/2043155/how-to-become-an-apple-certified-macintosh-technician.html  An old article on how to get the Certification

https://www.apple.com/au/education/docs/Apple-TrainingCertificationCatalogWeb.pdf An old pdf by apple on being Apple Technician Certified!

https://www.learnquest.com/schedule-custom.aspx?s20170128=y  A place to train for the exam!

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205332  About Apple certifications!

https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT206048  About A.T.L.A.S. a service by Apple that trains you to take the exams

https://www.apple.com/support/professional/help-desks/ Where you can buy Apple Priority Access Help and resources to train for the exams

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6603ZM/A/applecare-help-desk-support  Where you can buy 2 years of priority access to apple support only!

https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT204586  How to access the exams themselves

HOPE THIS HELPS!

A 13 Year Old....

STILL WANNA WORK FOR LINUS!

If you're able to get the iMac over to the UK I can fix it

I work as a third party repairer and am close with multiple other centers in the country so I'm sure I'm can get it repaired one way or another

Have you tried using the mac with an external monitor?

This would rule out the other 2 components being faulty

The fans would run at full speed but wont break them

Apple will always replace everything in the loop for example PSU and LogicBoard if one is faulty

We see it with customers that need a Trackpad or Keyboard... they will replace the full topcase (including the battery in most cases)

Matt

3 hours ago, SwanSong83 said:

This video just honestly pissed me off. So I may make a post about it soon.

I mean.... TBH.... this guy has a point. Just saying. 

My brother gave me a his mac when he chipped the screen and I was able to replace it by buying a monitor that used the same lcd. I wonder if the Dell Ultra HD 5K Monitor UP2715K uses the same panel? Although, $1,500 doesn't make for a cheap repair.

As a side note, "You are not allowed to change your display name right now as you have changed it recently. You are only permitted to make 1 change in a 179-day period." sucks since I just signed up to post this idea and my non-rgb, non-backlit keyboard makes me prone to typos at 5am in the morning.

13 minutes ago, aflyinghotpocket said:

I mean.... TBH.... this guy has a point. Just saying. 

He's comparing Linus upgrading the ram to physically soldering a headphone jack into a phone,blaming LTT for breaking the imac pro on purpose when they were doing a thorough in depth review, and the comment section on that video is even worse. That guy seems to be an Apple apologist but when all they make are Apple related videos I supposed it's expected.