Apple REFUSED to Fix our iMac Pro

When I took my mid-2010 iMac into an authorised Apple repairer, with the error code from diagnostics (graphics subassembly sensor) because the fans were occasionally staying at 100% for prolonged periods, they refused to repair it UNTIL THEY COULD REPLICATE THE ISSUE.

They had the computer running stress tests for 6 weeks straight without repairing it.

I rang Apple directly, and got them to authorise an override, which had it repaired in a couple of days.

Luckily I had a Hackintosh to use, otherwise I would be at my wits end... but still - sometimes operating procedures need to be ignored for the greater good.

41 minutes ago, aflyinghotpocket said:

I mean.... TBH.... this guy has a point. Just saying. 

No he hasn't... the iMac Pro is a SUBSTANTIALLY EXPENSIVE COMPUTER, and Linus Media Group has a LOT of subscribers, and probably deserved to be treated better. Also, a computer that old should have parts available... I could understand if it were only on the market a month?!

Had the same issue with a new Ford... bought the first one in the lot, and then needed a new bumper bar after an animal altercation. The replacement part was not in the COUNTRY!!!

12 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

He's comparing Linus upgrading the ram to physically soldering a headphone jack into a phone,blaming LTT for breaking the imac pro on purpose when they were doing a thorough in depth review, and the comment section on that video is even worse. That guy seems to be an Apple apologist but when all they make are Apple related videos I supposed it's expected.

So to be completely on the level... We all know that LTT sometimes goes over-the-top with their thumbnails, video ideas, and humor. A few examples of this are his thumbnails which he addressed in an "Honest Answers" video almost a year ago. The TL;DR from that video was Linus admitting that they did in fact exaggerate video titles and thumbnails to draw in viewers, to which he did not feel was wrong in his opinion. Overall, Linus himself also said that his company is only doing what everyone else is doing which is "clickbait" titles and "cancerous thumbnails" to draw in viewers... why? Because it works. 

The video from Tailosive Tech is only pointing out the fact that though I agree Linus's frustration is valid, the LTT video does go to some... "INSERT BAD INFOMERCIAL GIF HERE" levels to get it's point across when the screen broke. I saw the little explosion the first time I was watching and kinda laughed, but I also find it hard to believe they were filming when they were putting the screen back on. RED Footage takes up quite a bit of space and though I have no doubts that LMG has a crap load of it, I just feel like the whole staging of the "breaking" was a little unbelievable at best. I think a lot of the satire Tailoslve Tech was getting at was that the video (to him, NOT me) felt like a bit of a tantrum thrown by a child who has been denied candy by his mother at the checkout. AGAIN... this is that THEY were saying... NOT me. What I took away from the response was that Linus was frustrated at Apple for not wanting to flat out sell him the part he needed which, as a company Apple reserves the right to do 100%. 

Another point to make here is that I am sure iFixIt does not contact the manufactures when they take things apart and break them for repairs and I am not sure why Linus thinks his company is any different. When iFixIt took apart the Surface laptop they completely destroyed the top layer of the system, almost beyond recognition. I am confident is saying that they would not have contacted Microsoft and asked for a new Surface Laptop because they clearly broke the terms of service when they decided to open the damn thing. The tech industry does not work like Automotive industry where you can just open up a catalog and select a part to be mailed to you for you to install in your car. There are MANY good reasons why Apple, Microsoft, Google, and Samsung don't have easy avenues for the consumers to purchase individual parts for their products. So many in fact that I can't type them all in this reply. My point here is that I believe Linus's frustration is valid... buuuuuuuuut... LMG is no different from any other company, consumer, or regular Joe without apple backing and Apple is technically in the right for not sending them a display or the parts they need to repair the product. I believe Apple is in the right here because they don't sell individual parts PERIOD! Microsoft does not do this, Google does not do this, and neither does Apple. 

This would actually be a fantastic follow-up video for LTT to post: "Acquiring Replacement Parts In The Tech Industry". The video could outline the fact that Linus recently has had some issues with getting replacement parts from Apple and he could explore different companies and their practices on providing consumers with replacement parts for their products. I would LOVE to see if you could get Google to send you a screen for their Pixel phone or maybe see if Microsoft would be willing to send you a new Surface Studio screen... the main question would be, Who is willing to send consumers DIRECT replacement parts? how much do they cost? and What options do consumers have when they want to replace things on their broken tech. 

All in all, I don't believe we should be getting out our pitchforks and torches, marching down to our local Apple store, and DEMANDING that they send LMG a replacement screen. I think this needs to be looked at much more closely in terms of, what the consumer is allowed to do with a purchased product... was LMG technically voiding their warranty? And by voiding that warranty does this give Apple the right to not sell individual components to the consumer? I'm not entirely sure... but what I am sure about is the incredible value that Mack Weldon's products provide for me on a daily basis! Mack Weldon's fantastic build quality and fine products make a great addition to any wardrobe. Check out their link in the video description!!!  =P 

16 hours ago, uLoop said:

I think if there ever was an appropriate moment for Linus to follow in the footsteps of another famous Linus, this is it. Just replace Nvidia with Apple and reenact this epic scene:

Nvidia, fuck you

OMG, I loved that video!  Never seen it!

Maybe Chinese can do it.Why not send it to Shenzhen China and let someone in a place called“Huaqiangbei” to repare it.

在中国,我们有一个强大的网购平台,可以买到很多东西,完成很多交易,在上面就可以找到可以维修iMac的人,他们有自己的获取硬件的渠道(如拆解其他坏掉的机器) ,虽然他们的做法不是很好,但他们能帮助我们解决问题。因为中国的一些问题,毕竟它也只在二战后发展了70年,还在发展中,所以现在中国的电子市场很混乱,你可以买到很多在其他地方买不到的东西。我不知道这样是好还是坏,不过它起码可以帮助我们解决的iMac的问题。请原谅我不会讲英语!

If you come to somewhere like Hong Kong or Shenzen there's loads of places that fix these problems for super cheap. You can go to this place (not sure what it's called the name is Chinese but I know the way there) and although most of these places aren't Apple registered and don't use original Apple products (Chinese clones) if you just want it fixed for really cheap then this is great. Plus there's loads of cool new tech and parts and stuff here so it's really worth it to come down for a week or two. 

i have been reading a lot today and i must say that this Apple thing is a bit heavy but to be clear i myself owned a apple product and ran into a actual bloated battery and i was told that i used a bad charger? WHAT! i literally only had the 1 charger for the thing seriously... 

Anyhow Back to topic. So to be clear my Acer laptop is on its way out. There is something funky with the charging light. I got a new charger for it "Proper Acer charger paid a LOT for it" and the problem continued. Pulled the Battery out and the Problem continued.

The device is not new. To be clear it is nearly if not over 5 years old. I have been using it every single day as it is my only source for music, entertainment i also use it for work. Thus i am not surprised that it is on its last legs. There is no place i can go to find parts and even if i do component level repair on it i have ZERO information on it. No diagram, no real way to troubleshoot components. 

There is no third party in my country that fixes systems on a component level 'that i know of' and that is a reality.

Now if the device wasn't 5 years old and still new with the same problem would i get parts for it? Answer is no. Chances are they will just swap it out. My one friend got himself a nice HP laptop and it was DOA 'dead on arrival' So he walked to the store and was given a new HP laptop. Turns out the HDD was faulty but the tech didn't swap out the HDD nope. He just tried to turn it on and when it hanged and hanged he just started to fill out a form and said please sign here. The end...

What we see here is a Apple device build like a mobile phone and or laptop. By design it is difficult to access components and finding replacements is not always easy or even feasible. However these systems are really expensive and like a laptop it will last for only so long until something fail.

Now the question comes in: Should ALL manufacturers give users the ability to fix their systems? The simple answer is yes. There should be some way to buy components that is already manufactured anyway. The question now becomes more difficult. 

How long should these devices be supported? Meaning for how long should a fabricator make actual parts for that particular product. Then ask if it really is feasible. In most cases it simply isn't and that sadly is also a reality. 

Do i feel bad for Linus? Yes i do. But until manufacturers are mandated by law to keep and distribute  parts for their devices. It is simply not going to happen. That is the reality of ALL tech not just apple tech. 

To be fair this Apple system is new it is current and considering the price, consumers should have access to parts and the like. That said it is only part of the problem, the reality is they refused to fix it. That changes the game and should actually be illegal. I am not sure about Canada and if they have any legal aid to customers but this should clearly be a violation.

Sadly the only way to get a company as big as Apple to listen to customers is to get government involved. Some intervention is needed because this situation that Linus and them had is downright sickening.

***edit***

I do understand that the computer was opened and that might be the reality here. That said they 'Apple' could still have offered to sell them the parts. That way they had some ability to fix it themselves.

They aren't refusing to fix it because they don't have the parts and/or support infrastructure in place. They are refusing to fix it because you opened it up yourself which then caused you to break it. Big difference.

48 minutes ago, Caleb Wolf said:

I know someone that can fix any IMac. 

An iMac Pro is much different on the inside than a standard iMac.

1 hour ago, themacmeister said:

No he hasn't... the iMac Pro is a SUBSTANTIALLY EXPENSIVE COMPUTER, and Linus Media Group has a LOT of subscribers, and probably deserved to be treated better. Also, a computer that old should have parts available... I could understand if it were only on the market a month?!

Had the same issue with a new Ford... bought the first one in the lot, and then needed a new bumper bar after an animal altercation. The replacement part was not in the COUNTRY!!!

I understand and validate your passion for LMG. But no matter how many subscribers you have, no matter how famous you are, it does not make you different from any of the other folks that paid good money for Apple products and followed the "rules" or "terms of service". Apple is not in the business of selling parts out of a catalog and they never will be. I honestly feel bad for Linus, but being famous does not make you special in the eyes of any company. If Apple were to provide Linus with a replacement screen then this would open up all sorts of PR problems for Apple. Lets say i'm average Joe and my iPhone screen just randomly breaks or malfunctions as a result of a manufacturing defect. I promptly go to an Apple store, have the defect verified, and my Phone is replaced under warranty... The process worked! Like it should. Rewind, I drop my iPhone and the screen shatters... Oops, my bad! I take it to the Apple store and receive a work order for replacement parts, labor, and shipping. A week later, I receive my iPhone and pay for the damages. The system worked, Again! Now lets look at situation #3. I take apart my iMac pro on a widely watched YouTube channel for all the world to see. I just so happen to break the system while reassembling all the components. Oops... Welp, Apple is clear on things like this and for a good reason. If you take apart the system, Apple has no way of verifying if something additional could have been damaged or been adjusted beyond factory specification. As a company, this is always tough and has to be treated equally and fair to ALL customers. 

Again, I truly feel bad for Linus, I really do... But, We can't let YouTube fame or subscriber count change the fact that Apple is a Global Company who simply can't take the risks in assuming nothing else is damaged or the fact that they clearly say "please don't open our stuff... No seriously... our stuff is really high tech and we build it right the first time because we want that to be the ONLY time it's built, ya know?" If you don't know... then you should know about Tunnel Bear! Tunnel Bear is the simple VPN software that can help you hide your internet traffic from the evil of the internet. check them out in the video description! =P 

2 hours ago, aflyinghotpocket said:

All in all, I don't believe we should be getting out our pitchforks and torches, marching down to our local Apple store, and DEMANDING that they send LMG a replacement screen. I think this needs to be looked at much more closely in terms of, what the consumer is allowed to do with a purchased product... was LMG technically voiding their warranty? And by voiding that warranty does this give Apple the right to not sell individual components to the consumer? I'm not entirely sure... but what I am sure about is the incredible value that Mack Weldon's products provide for me on a daily basis! Mack Weldon's fantastic build quality and fine products make a great addition to any wardrobe. Check out their link in the video description!!!  =P 

I don't like the clickbait at all either, though yeah almost everyone does it on Youtube and most news articles do the same. Some of their video ideas are kinda debatable too, like putting liquid metal thermal compund in a laptop,and then a bunch of people here ask if they can put liquid metal on whatever while still not aware it could possibly damage their computer.

The filming of the broken screen seems like a dramatization of whatever they actually did to it when disassembling it, I don't know why else someone would try to put the display back in without laying the chassis down horizontally.

Although I agree we shouldn't be forcing Apple to sell them parts, as you mentioned most other OEM's aren't going to sell you individual pars either. The difference with a Google Pixel or a Samsung phone is you can actually get repairs or parts for them from an approved service without losing your warranty. But, Apple should have either approved spare parts to a certified third party or given them a replacement imac pro to avoid all the bad press. I just can't believe a company like Apple could be so unorganized to not have any Apple certified tech or any spare parts.

1 hour ago, icy1007 said:

They aren't refusing to fix it because they don't have the parts and/or support infrastructure in place. They are refusing to fix it because you opened it up yourself which then caused you to break it. Big difference.

That would come down to Right To Repair, though I don't know if Canada has any equivalent law that allows a consumer to open their own device that they paid for. And, being a pro level machine a person should expect some better service. Not taking the failed board and PSU into account, so if you accidentally broke the display glass Apple should be able to accuse you of breaking it on purpose refusing to provide any repairs at all? Apple is saying saying too bad, go spend another 6k on a new imac pro.

Other companies like Dell or Lenovo with their pro/workstation hardware would happily rush out a repair tech if you told them you broke something but would agree to pay for the parts.

Send it in to apple service depot. They are in Markham, On canada. Now they aren't apple certified  but they work on many imacs. They have parts for days and the know the how to. Their parts are genuine but more importantly their experience with screens is off the charts. I got my 2017 imac 5k fixed from them and i have never been happier. If felt like the screen was never broken. 

Another reason never to buy Apple products. I keep telling people but they keep buying and then buying another and another and another. Sheeple will do that.

1 hour ago, nineteen night said:

在中国,我们有一个强大的网购平台,可以买到很多东西,完成很多交易,在上面就可以找到可以维修iMac的人,他们有自己的获取硬件的渠道(如拆解其他坏掉的机器) ,虽然他们的做法不是很好,但他们能帮助我们解决问题。因为中国的一些问题,毕竟它也只在二战后发展了70年,还在发展中,所以现在中国的电子市场很混乱,你可以买到很多在其他地方买不到的东西。我不知道这样是好还是坏,不过它起码可以帮助我们解决的iMac的问题。请原谅我不会讲英语!

你确定他们会用某宝?

Hey Gabe and Linus!  You'll have to forgive my profile for a lack of professionalism.  Your video caught the attention of basically my entire work place.  I'm from a Pennsylvania based Apple Authorized Service Provider.  Out of sheer interest, we're actually doing some investigating to see if we can actually get the parts to fix your iMac Pro.  We have a technician here that is trained and authorized to service the iMac Pro, so at this point all we'll need is the parts.  I'll have an update when we know for sure whether we can get what we need to carry out the repair, but please get in touch with me!  We're very much interested in getting your problem sorted out.

Hi Linus

HUAQIANGBEI,SHENZHEN,CHINA

If huaqiangbei can't fix your imac,then there is no place to fix.

First gen products can often be hard to fix. Take a look at this article about one of the first aluminum Ford F-150s that needed major body repairs.

https://jalopnik.com/how-a-2015-ford-f-150-aluminum-repair-cost-17-000-and-1719664610

Supply for parts to repair can be an issue this early in the game. This is not a perfect example because they did eventually repair the truck but it was not a simple task.

Because this is getting stupid, they are by law liable to fix the device and have parts for up to five years after the retail of it, also they don't have to do it for free but they do have to do it, this applies to USA and Europe, in Canada no idea, did they pass the lemon law?

China has no warranties so don't even bother

CPU Name: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor @4.25

Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING

RAM: G.Skill Flare X @3200Mhz 14-14-14-34-48-1 (tCAS-tRC-tRP-tRAS-tCS-tCR)