Apple REFUSED to Fix our iMac Pro

I am a certified Apple repair tech working for a Minnesota based Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you can get me the SN of the device I can see what I can do. I know some new iMac Pro support documentation and certification has recently become available.

I was a technician for an AASP in February of 2018. Left to go work for a better company! xD I know for sure the part number for a display, logic board, and power supply along with other parts do exist.  I can confirm this as I used to work for an AASP and still have access to Apple GSX service website.  Now i've have heard from my ex service manager that some of the parts may not be available yet due to how new it is.  This does happen from time to time.  Now Apple corporate or an AASP can sell you a part at stock price if they choose to.  I myself would repair my own devices from time to time and have purchased some parts at stock price.  They're two types of repair type costs.  One is exchange price where Apple expects the repair technician to send back the KBB (known bad board) to the repair depot center and then their is stock price where Apple charges more than the exchange price but the repair technician isn't required to send the KBB back.  I'd recommend to wait for a little bit so they can manufacture replacement parts.  Yeah, I know its bull$hit that Apple doesn't have replacement parts for the iMac Pro available yet.  That's why I have a love/hate relationship with Apple.  I love the design, quality, usability but sometimes I despise Apple's service.  

I checked eBay, powerbookmedic, and couple other websites I get Apple parts from when I don't want to go through Apple and no iMac Pro parts are available yet in that aspect. 

Really the only thing you can do is wait for Apple to catch up! Which is sad because I know some people who have purchased an iMac Pro and if it breaks depending on the part they might be without a machine for weeks to a month.  Back when I worked for the AASP in Feb 18 we were quoting 2-4 weeks repair turn around time for the iMac Pro due to part availability. 

Hi, you should get in touch with Scotty at Strange Parts - scotty@strangeparts.com He can probably help you with your missing parts. 
If he's still in Shenzhen that is... 

Good luck!

Try to get in touch with someone from Apple's "Executive Relations" team. They typically handle stuff like this. I'm not entirely sure how to get in touch with them, other than sending an email to Tim Cook. Like when people email Tim Cook about an issue it's the executive relations team that will respond and handle it. 

For the display, you could try getting a regular 5k iMac display to replace it with. The connector should be the same.

Wow, Apple still can't get their shit together with support. There is an "Apple-Authorized" service provider about 10 minutes away from me which repairs any Apple product (my friend even got an iPod Nano 1G repaired there, wow!) but I would honestly recommend  using a display from a normal iMac if you want success. Or you could just buy ANOTHER iMac pro, but that would be too expensive tbh.

After doing 30 minutes of searching online I finally found a website that carries iMac Pro parts.  iMac Pro Parts Link

It looks like the prices are quite expensive but its the only website I could find that actually has iMac Pro parts in stock.  I've never ordered from them before so I can't vouch for them but if you want the machine fixed ASAP instead of waiting for Apple to get its $hit straight then you can go through thebookyard! 

Good luck Linus, if you need anything feel free to email me at NguyenGodwin10@Gmail.com 

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 7.20.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 7.20.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 7.20.09 PM.png

1 minute ago, Esmryk said:

For the display, you could try getting a regular 5k iMac display to replace it with. The connector should be the same.

People said it isn't on page 1 or 2 of this thread... and then about once every page after that.

Is there any chance you could provide me with a serial number for your iMac Pro? I would love to look it up in Apple's back-end system and see if what the apple store is telling you is true. I can tell you from experience Apple is pretty known for not repairing iMacs, especially their newest models. I work for a repair center at a university and I know from experience that they will NOT in ANY circumstance let a repair center mail in an iMac. Apple also typically restricts most 1 year old or less computers to mail in repairs only and will not let shops become certified. I would have to check, but there is a very slim chance that they have those parts available for a stock order, but odds are it will be outrageous.

I know it's far away but I know this place in San Diego that can probably help. Here's their website, give them a call. I'm sure they will be happy to here from one of the most popular and great tech channels on YouTube. http://dccomputerwarehouse.com/

3 hours ago, LeonardsComputerCouncil said:

You should really reach out to Scotty from the youtube channel Strange Parts. He lives in Shenzhen, China, which has a robust electronics market centered around the manufacturing done over there. That might be your best bet for getting the parts.

Would love to see that collab.

Isn't Linus already in Shenzhen this week to collab w Scotty? 

I contacted apple about the issue Linus was having with theiriMac for repair. Will post back if there are any updates.

You did happen to only mention "board psu and display" at the end, the whole time I thought it was just the screen. It's still crap that they won't fix the thing, but I don't like the bias placed here.

edit: Apple tends to draw a certain mindset of customer far different than we have here.  I go into several homes a day for work and one lady had 4-6 Imac boxes in her basement.  I casually mentioned, you must really like apple....  Her response "yeah I do a bunch of media editing and all of those are full of content, so I buy a new one when one fills up"

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

They won't help LTT out here because they broke it under misuse. You aren't supposed to take it apart. Granted, this is an extremely stupid business practice, but that is the name of the game for Apple.

Delid 8600K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 | Phantex Enthoo Pro M SE | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX100 256GB | 3TB Toshiba P300 | Corsair AX750 Custom Sleeved | Dell U2515H | Custom Hardline Tubing: EK Supremacy + 240 Coolstream PE + DDC 3.1 Pump Res Combo/Extended Res/Meyhems Pastel White | Corsair K95 Platinum | Corsair M65 RGB | Bose Speakers + Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro + AKG K240 MkII + Shure 840 | W10 Pro | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/socom_hero/saved/#view=NF74CJ

15 years ago Apple use to be one of the best if not the best at customer service and support (though it was sometimes expensive like all of apple's stuff) compared to HP, Dell, etc.

Since they want to tightly control the platform, I suspect that this is Apple responding to the right to repair movement. There may be some legal recourse here but I would think they still retain the right to refuse and I wouldn't think they even need a very good reason to invoke that. (at least in the US, CA may be different) As a media personality you can possibly pressure them but that wouldn't help the general public at large with similar issues. Kind of a shame Apple has chosen this route.

As far as repairs go to get your videos out.. you might have to resort to gray market ebay type stuff and DIY.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

I would say this contact this guy in China 

https://strangeparts.com

He was the guy that manage to build an iPhone from scratch and knows the iPhone products inside out 

He basically lives in Shenzhen and knows where to source the main components from the manufacturers that also manufacturer real apple products hope you get it fixed 

7 minutes ago, SOCOM_HERO said:

They won't help LTT out here because they broke it under misuse. You aren't supposed to take it apart. Granted, this is an extremely stupid business practice, but that is the name of the game for Apple.

Truthfully, it's probably fine for Linus, he'll get enough advertisement views to make up for the cost of the iMac Pro.  
Apple is only hurting its own reputation by not fixing it.

Just now, WhiteO said:

Truthfully, it's probably fine for Linus, he'll get enough advertisement views to make up for the cost of the iMac Pro.  
Apple is only hurting its own reputation by not fixing it.

I would anticipate that if he contacted their media relations, they'd make it right. Then again, they could just as easily ignore him.

Delid 8600K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 | Phantex Enthoo Pro M SE | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX100 256GB | 3TB Toshiba P300 | Corsair AX750 Custom Sleeved | Dell U2515H | Custom Hardline Tubing: EK Supremacy + 240 Coolstream PE + DDC 3.1 Pump Res Combo/Extended Res/Meyhems Pastel White | Corsair K95 Platinum | Corsair M65 RGB | Bose Speakers + Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro + AKG K240 MkII + Shure 840 | W10 Pro | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/socom_hero/saved/#view=NF74CJ

Yes I have a person here in India who can either send parts to fix it or fix it by coming to your place...for this I have a WhatsApp number contact me in this : +91 8668130006 ... I can help you from this problem!!

I've seen this happen for someones iPod the parts where on back order (end of life) for months, the place had the unit for about 2 months and when they got it back finally they were told the parts are no longer being made and haven't been for quite some time apparently... Apple is as good as a partially eaten Apple left outside for 8 hours, which is likely why they have that as a brand icon xD

Edit: forgot this for Linus's closing line:

latest?cb=20130825002313

If it where Samsung in my case they would just not repair it cos they believe its not broken, happened to me once was very stressful period for me, happened again with Huawei to, warranty is a complete mess, i would fix my own stuff if i could and if actually done it with some stuff, heck i once had a subwoofer with broken amp and the brand just told me they send me new amp and that i can just fix it my self, and send the old part back, they asked no questions or anything, even had good experience with evga where i broke something my self repair only costed me 25€ and yes i mentioned to them i broke it my self when i removed a waterblock.

Really? Tho I never went threw Sammy repair instead bought a new phone due to price. My S4 died partially due to my work, the board inside was all rusty due to my work environment. I was told it would cost about the same as buying a new phone, I could have gone with it but decided not to. This came from the place I bought it from.

Hey Linus I am a certified Apple repair man for the iMac pros I am based in south Australia if you want to get In contact email me at Applecertifiedrepair.aus@gmail.com I could ship you out a screeen for free

I had a similar experience with the iphone 5 when it first came out, my screen cracked and i couldn't find any apple stores that carried the part so I went to a few electronics stores and asked around for the part but a lot of them ridiculously over priced the part eventually I found a store that sold a new screen for 20 bucks from a store run by an older guy that said he ordered the part from a friend in china but this was in Toronto and not Vancouver so I don't know about stores their, basically try shopping straight from china because I know there are already an obscene amount of iphone x parts on the third party market and as far as I know apple doesn't really regulate the sale of their parts in china . You could also try talking to scotty@strangeparts.com he runs a youtube @StrangeParts channel about modifying iphones using aftermarket apple parts he might know where to get parts like this.