Apple REFUSED to Fix our iMac Pro

12 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

As @abazigal said, LTT is not entitled to a repair. 

Any repair is really going to end up being a replacement at cost to LTT. 

3rd party repair is LTTs only option. 

LTT doesn’t get to ignore the fine print and complain that Apple won’t fix their iMac. 

1. WHO ACTUALLY READS THE FINE PRINT

2. I believe in a right to repair and apple is a multi-billion dollar company there should be no excuse why they cant offer a repair options

3. Right to repair is important and should be enforced for all products above 200 bucks or something because it allows a consumer to save huge amounts of money with the stuff they bought, they shouldn't have to replace what is not broken

2 minutes ago, Aks Walia said:

WHO ACTUALLY READS THE FINE PRINT

Attorneys 

3 minutes ago, Aks Walia said:

there should be no excuse why they cant offer a repair options

Well you can call it an excuse, but it’s officially labeled as a company policy. Any catastrophic hardware failure caused by user/unofficial servicing gives Apple the ability to turn away anyone. It’s in the fine print. 

If its legal is a different story. 

5 minutes ago, Aks Walia said:

Right to repair is important and should be enforced for all products above 200 bucks or something because it allows a consumer to save huge amounts of money with the stuff they bought, they shouldn't have to replace what is not broken

Sure it should be, but atm it’s not. As for your last comment, a user shouldn’t have to replace what is broken.....but in the case of LTT, they broke essentially the entire machine. There is no offical option other than a full replacement. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

As for your last comment, a user shouldn’t have to replace what is broken.....but in the case of LTT, they broke essentially the entire machine. There is no offical option other than a full replacement. 

LTT at the most broke 3 parts the Power Supply, The Screen and possibly the board. The board and power supply may not be even broken and even if they are that is far from the entire machine my friend

1 minute ago, Aks Walia said:

The board and power supply may not be even broken and even if they are that is far from the entire machine my friend

Do you know what an iMac is on the inside? 

They have been essentially the same since 2010. 

A outer casing, the display, one logic board with everything, a power supply, and a drive (these days that is also part of the board)

If the display of the iMac Pro is gone, the PSU is gone, and the board is damaged in some way, that machine is “totaled.”

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

My opinion is that if Apple won't fix it because of a lack of parts or trained personal to repair it, they should sell LTT a new one but charge only what the repairs would have cost. That model never should have been sold until parts and service were already available. Not doing so is just irresponsible.

While Magnuson-Moss applies to the SSA (Squabbling States of America) only, Canadian Provinces have similar laws. Even though these are warranty related laws and this is not a warranty issue, the same principles may (definitely should) apply to non-warranty repair. It would take a lawyer (solicitor, whatever) to sort this out. As much as the machine costs, it may be well worth the money to at least get legal advice, then, based on that advice, decide on a course of action, if any.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I have worked for an AASP. I have worked with the Applecare Support engineers as a lab tech. I have worked in Apple's testing facility.

I can tell you that If Apple can release a product early by ramming it through testing and severely undersupplying for Applecare's ability to have access to key parts they will.

I can tell you that this is neither a new pattern for Apple, nor is it the most egregious abuse of AASPs. 

Apple has made their certifications granular, yet incredibly expensive. New licenses to be an AASP have been unavailable since the nineties. Apple Stores are caught inside the Apple reality distortion bubble where idiotic design flaws leading to breakage are always mis-use worthy of de-warrantying rather than things to be removed from design language.

Basic concepts like designs that allow for tech access, r&r and upgrades are gleefully thrown aside with a shrug in favor of closed box and frictionless surfaces.

Apple does this routinely. The only way it will end is if people realize how nerfed Apple hardware has become and how very bloated and feeble Mac OS has become.

before you flame me: I loved and fixed macs from 1998 to 2010. I now run Mint on Asus boards. Apple has made cultural decisions that have flown under the radar for too long as a result of very effective PR. Help them improve their culture by making your next device an Android or Linux machine.

6 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

My opinion is that if Apple won't fix it because of a lack of parts or trained personal to repair it, they should sell LTT a new one but charge only what the repairs would have cost. That model never should have been sold until parts and service were already available. Not doing so is just irresponsible.

That's the thing, the parts and service were available and the Apple store was going to give a new iMac at the cost of the repair, but after checking with the Engineers, they decided not to offer that because of the amount of damage caused by the tampering. That's it.

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

.....but in the case of LTT, they broke essentially the entire machine. There is no offical option other than a full replacement. 

If the display of the iMac Pro is gone, the PSU is gone, and the board is damaged in some way, that machine is “totaled.”

Hahaha, I think the clue is in this person's name. By the way, comments like yours got roasted hard by Linus on the WAN show.

If basically every other company can provide a basic level of customer service that mostly meets common expectations, why do some people think it's fair for such a wealthy company like Apple to hide clauses in thousands of words of small print with no other purpose than to mislead and profit. I get that there's a difference between what is fair and what is law, but why are Apple fans defending this practice? Think about it and try to set aside this fanboy-ism. 

1 hour ago, MattMatt said:

why do some people think it's fair for such a wealthy company like Apple to hide clauses in thousands of words of small print with no other purpose than to mislead and profit.

How is Apple profiting by not offering to take Linus' money? As was mentioned earlier, they could have easily quoted an astronomical fee to repair the iMac, but instead declined to do so altogether. 

Linus wasn't kidding. Holy crap. 15% doesn't seem to do much..

AQX1G7q.png

9 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Do you know what an iMac is on the inside? 

They have been essentially the same since 2010. 

A outer casing, the display, one logic board with everything, a power supply, and a drive (these days that is also part of the board)

Yet, somehow, Apple has been repairing iMacs since their introduction, and dozens of AASPs in this thread have been stating that it's a worthwhile repair but nobody can get the parts or training needed because Apple won't release them.   

Actually the argument that it's "totaled" seems to be something you made up entirely, because it wasn't in the video or any communication from Apple.  Interesting.  

So we have here a situation that (in the states at least) is not only be a shitty way to treat customers, but may well be entirely illegal (putting it in the terms and conditions cannot make an illegal thing legal).  It's probably illegal in Canada too, from what people have posted in this thread.

And here we have a "DrMacintosh", who seems to be pulling excuses straight out of... thin air... how Apple just can't do something because they design their computers so poorly that any damage whatsoever will make any repairs pointless.

Why would you spend so much time cheerleading a company that clearly doesn't know how to build computers properly?

Oh, and you should probably watch this.  

For giggles.

1 hour ago, abazigal said:

How is Apple profiting by not offering to take Linus' money? As was mentioned earlier, they could have easily quoted an astronomical fee to repair the iMac, but instead declined to do so altogether. 

Their goal is to make you buy a brand new product...

4 hours ago, MattMatt said:

Hahaha, I think the clue is in this person's name. By the way, comments like yours got roasted hard by Linus on the WAN show.

Don’t care what LMG says, I’m not backing down from my position. 

LMG violated the terms and conditions, and in those conditions you revoke your right to a repair. It's that simple. 

LMG is no longer entitled to a repair, nothing is going to change that. But the internet doesn't want to admit that. 

On 4/18/2018 at 11:14 PM, VegetableStu said:

没关系,最多他们那边去叫 Dennis 来翻译 xD

TAIWAN NUMBA 1 !!!!!!

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

54 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Don’t care what LMG says, I’m not backing down from my position. 

LMG violated the terms and conditions, and in those conditions you revoke your right to a repair. It's that simple. 

LMG is no longer entitled to a repair, nothing is going to change that. But the internet doesn't want to admit that. 

Actually again recent ftc rulings may disagree with you.

Just now, Alexandra Moldovia said:

Actually again recent ftc rulings may disagree with you.

Then the FTC can take Apple to court. But until then Apple doesn't have to do anything to help LMG out of its self dug hole. 

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple doesn't have to do anything to help LMG out

Which is why when something is wrong people need to expose them so they can become better. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Which is why when something is wrong people need to expose them so they can become better. 

I just don't see Apple as being in the wrong. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

I just don't see Apple as being in the wrong. 

They clearly are and if you can't (or won't) see that then I have no hope for you. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

They clearly are and if you can't (or won't) see that then I have no hope for you. 

Not according to their Terms and Conditions. Everything being argued on this forum is feeling and I'm sorry but feeling doesn't hold up to scrutiny. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Not according to their Terms and Conditions. Everything being argued on this forum is feeling and I'm sorry but feeling doesn't hold up to scrutiny. 

This has nothing to do with terms and conditions, this is about having a proper support structure in place for the product. 

زندگی از چراغ

1 minute ago, CCWong said:

Terms and conditions mean nothing if they are not legally enforceable...

You have to challenge those terms, something I don't think LMG is going to do. 

1 minute ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

This has nothing to do with terms and conditions, this is about having a proper support structure in place for the product. 

It actually has everything to do with the terms and conditions. 

Even if Apple had the ability to repair the iMac Pro Apple wouldn't do it because LMG lost the right to get that repair. 

18 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Then the FTC can take Apple to court. But until then Apple doesn't have to do anything to help LMG out of its self dug hole. 

you actually got that backwards. At least if it were in Europe if some regulatory entity ruled that illegal, apple has to comply or can be fined. Then apple can take the regulation to court if they don't agree with it. They can pay the fines and still not repair, but it's Aplle that has to put the FCC in court not the other way around.