HDMI Over...The HUMAN BODY?!

Is it just me or does the audio sounds a bit, weird?

I wouldn't say it's clipping but it does sound like there's a bit too much gain on the audio...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

there seems to be a big audio lag on YouTube. only around 10:10-10:30 I can't tell if its just what he is saying or if there is something odd.

Edited by GDRRiley

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I'm gonnna hop on this audio thing.  I've noticed audio sync issues on both youtube and floatplane.  This video also has clipping an audio aftifacts.  And it's kinda typical of what I've seen over the last two or three months.

Please get an audio guy.  He could do DAC and headphone reviews, too, maybe get into some studio/SR stuff, or maybe even some DJ stuff.  You guys are too cool to not have someone doing audio, and the rest of your production quality is way to high to not have some basic audio stuff working.

2 hours ago, FearlessSpatulaBoy said:

I hoped he would mention the HDMI to Gardena water hose adapter with up to Full-HD per liter! hama-hdmi-wasser1.jpg.16288691ebd64de45919b797e82a01f1.jpg

Damn someone posted it before me lol. HD-Link 2.0 right there. HDMI over garden hose

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Seems like a useless product to me. Even if you need to send a HDMI signal 2 miles. Even using Ethernet seems like a bad idea to me. Say your Ethernet wire cost 5 cents per foot at two miles your looking at ~$528.00, another $300 for the transmitter, the receiver. and then the time and work needed to trench / run a 2 mile long cable.  So total cost of over $800+ not counting the work for the 2 mile wire run.

Would be way cheaper and faster to buy an HDMI to IP Ethernet adapter then use a wireless bridge from Ubiquiti that has 9 mile (15 km+) range or more depending on which product.

Same company makes the HD-Link HL13 HDMI to TCP/IP

https://sewelldirect.com/hd-link-pro-by-sewell-hdmi-over-single-cat5-extender-1080p-330-ft-

$90

With an Ubiquiti PowerBeam ac Gen2 (Which Ubiquiti site says has a 25+ km or 15 mile range.) 

http://a.co/jhvAwE4

$120

$90 for the HDMI to TCP/IP converter + $240 for the wireless bridge. Total cost $330 and no need to trench / run a wire 2 miles.

Or cut out the HDMI converter all together. Do a wireless bridge with a cheap NUC pc. Then upload your video or ad (for digital signage as Linus talked about) Playing off the NUC to get clearer less compressed video on the other end. Would probably still be cheaper then running a 2 mile wire.

7 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

there seems to be a big audio lag on YouTube. only around 10:10-10:30 I can't tell if its just what he is saying or if there is something odd.

Yep, audio is out of sync at around the 10min mark.

What protection against hijacking does the compressed transmitted signal have? Could someone who possesses their own sender cut the wire at some point in the circuit and introduce their own signal to the receiver, playing their own video display over the receivers screen? Or is the sender and receiver encrypted/coded to each other to prevent this?

Let's say this is used as suggested in the video, as an eletronic billboard on the side of the road somewhere, could someone come along and introduce their own signal sender anywhere within the loop and hijack the display. Change the "Buy Coca-Cola" ad to one that shows an ad for "Buy Pepsi Cola"?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

18 hours ago, Dregan3D said:

I'm gonnna hop on this audio thing.  I've noticed audio sync issues on both youtube and floatplane.  This video also has clipping an audio aftifacts.  And it's kinda typical of what I've seen over the last two or three months.

Please get an audio guy.  He could do DAC and headphone reviews, too, maybe get into some studio/SR stuff, or maybe even some DJ stuff.  You guys are too cool to not have someone doing audio, and the rest of your production quality is way to high to not have some basic audio stuff working.

I don't think it's so much the equipment they use for recording (assuming no one touches the settings) but possibly the exporting/encoding either on their end or youtube/FP. I've done videos where in several cases playing it in Premiere it sounds/looks fine but once exported the audio is off (this then would be a QA issue inhouse), I've also had situations when uploading to youtube causes audio issues because of them encoding it on their end as well, this likely goes for FP too.

To reduce these issues they could spend literally 30 minutes (longer at first till you get good at it or use 2 systems) and do something like this:

Play premiere and exported video side by side

repeat above for both youtube/FP with exported video.

It's tricky at first but if the exported file works you can get 2 people to do this in less then 10 minutes. They don't need to be perfectly side by side working, as long as one isn't echoing the other you'll be able to tell any audio and even video issues.

Besides do you know how much a new person like that would cost? esp a half decent one which would be required?

Do you need to use both the Red and the Black banana jacks on the Sewell HL24?

13 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I don't think it's so much the equipment they use for recording...

To reduce these issues they could spend literally 30 minutes...

Besides do you know how much a new person like that would cost? esp a half decent one which would be required?

You are bang on the first one, and right, but for the wrong reason on the second.

Audio artifacting is usually the result of compression, either in the encoding process or possibly in the comp/limiter.  I wouldn't want to mess with someone else's workflow, or how they encode, but spending a little time on the audio setup on each shoot, rather than trust that a dial didn't get bumped, makes worlds of difference.  Watch the last 4 episodes of the WAN show for evidence of that.

As to how much a new hire costs, you measure that against how much you're hurting your brand with sub-superior audio.  I don't know what the market is in BC, but where I am, full time sound engineers and recording engineers start around $40,000-ish a year US.  I was one for a few years right out of college with a music education degree.  Great first job, better than teaching, in a lot of ways actually, and I was very lucky to get full time, as I'm in a very weird market.  Tons of skilled people here drive the saleries down. 

9 hours ago, Dregan3D said:

Audio artifacting is usually the result of compression, either in the encoding process or possibly in the comp/limiter.  I wouldn't want to mess with someone else's workflow, or how they encode, but spending a little time on the audio setup on each shoot, rather than trust that a dial didn't get bumped, makes worlds of difference.  Watch the last 4 episodes of the WAN show for evidence of that.

As to how much a new hire costs, you measure that against how much you're hurting your brand with sub-superior audio.  I don't know what the market is in BC, but where I am, full time sound engineers and recording engineers start around $40,000-ish a year US.  I was one for a few years right out of college with a music education degree.  Great first job, better than teaching, in a lot of ways actually, and I was very lucky to get full time, as I'm in a very weird market.  Tons of skilled people here drive the saleries down. 

You can't go based off the WAN show... it's plagued with issues for as long as I can remember... To me this is a simple issue for this video which would have been quickly resolved by re-encoding or re-uploading. Your assuming they don't check their equipment settings before each take, which if it is the case Linus should fire said person for not doing their job. They likely also have a preset export option set up for each recording setup that would likely never fail with the camera/audio setup, but that's why it is good to do a dual playback because if something sounds off you'll hear it, if something looks off you'll see it during that time vs playing one after another or simply watching it once and uploading.

Trust me the damage for a 500-750ms video lag isn't going to destroy them from one video... It will irritate those who are either in the industry or audiophiles. I didn't notice it because I was focused on something else, however I wouldn't suggest Linus to go out and actually hire a person because of a mistake on a mainstream video(WAN isn't mainstream due to duration)...

As for the market in canada I'm not 100% sure, but I do know that while I'm sure Linus could afford one full time it would be a waste of money. Also just because you got paid or someone with more experience got that in the US in that area doesn't mean it's going to be the same even inside the USA. I could (but won't) look up to see how much one gets paid here in the GTA but that doesn't mean thats what they'll get paid in BC. If I was to guess I would say about 50-60K to get someone reputable enough, possibly higher.

You are trying to make it sound like it's a big deal when it really isn't, it's simple either a editing issue or uploading issue, the actual audio itself is fine. I've done what these guys do (years ago) not in the same way but I've done it, and I'm telling you they don't need a full time audio person. They need to sit down take a few minutes and actually check the videos in each step (3 checks really), the time spent on doing something like what I said above would be hundreds of times cheaper than hiring a new person (the new person can't prevent youtube/FP from screwing it up).

Sorry but I doubt you'll be getting that job posting video any time soon, maybe in 5 years but not tomorrow or next week.

Oh about your audio issues in the past few months, it's likely due to Linus's voice, he really shouldn't have a mic on him for recording, if he does it shouldn't be so close to his neck. I don't think they used their boom in this video due to the weather outside, or maybe someone else was using it.

Any production that produces content on a daily basis and has specific targeted release times as frequently as daily or or more is going to have the occasional hiccup, flub, or sacrifice for the simple reason of deadlines.

On 16.04.2018 at 10:11 PM, DoctorWho1975 said:

I hate when my Chris penis is not upto its usual level. 

ChrisPenis.JPG

I literally just spilled my drink because of that while laughing. Youtube, pls fix

• 4 months later...

My favorite thing about Linus' work is that Mythbusters-like approach to what he shows. :D

Auto CC has some gems in this video.

5b89343166b22_LTTautocc.JPG.56ea0131c877e7db678b4ab77621e4e1.JPG

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

• 6 months later...
On 4/15/2018 at 8:41 PM, nicklmg said:

Buy Sewell HL24 on Amazon: http://geni.us/JJtSV

This device can transit HDMI over any wire up to 2 miles away!...or through water...or nerds.

Hi guys,

I need your help , I'm an art student and I would like to connect a screen with a receiver ,whatever the kind of cable, to a multiple signals as 3 or 5 , for disturbing the image and maybe the sound, logically I think result could be a noisy digital image. The Sewell looks like the perfect solution but first it's experimental and it could be better to find an affordable solutions for it , second I don't know if multiple senders in the same bath could destroy each other. 

So pleaaaaseee help me !!!