Apple may ditch Intel CPUs for Macs starting from 2020

D13H4RD

Well, this is interesting but not entirely unexpected.

Reports are surfacing that Apple may be considering dropping Intel CPUs for future Macs and going with an in-house design for new Macs starting from the year 2020.

In 2005, Hell froze over. After repeatedly doubling down on the PowerPC G4 and G5, with its laptops effectively stuck on older 32-bit PowerPC chips, Apple announced it would build future desktops and laptops around the Intel x86 standard. When the first laptops rolled out on Intel hardware, it was immediately clear Apple had made the right decision. Crippled by the older G4, even the fastest pre-Intel Mac laptops were no match for x86. Intel took over Apple’s CPU market and has maintained its lock ever since.

But now that’s changing, if Bloomberg is to be believed, and Apple will reportedly transition away from Intel silicon altogether and towards its own custom solutions for iOS and macOS both, beginning in 2020. As a move, this falls somewhere between “A long time coming” and “Hell just froze over, AGAIN.”

Source: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/266773-apple-may-dump-intel-starting-2020-favor-cpu-designs

Given Apple's recent advancements in the mobile SoC space, especially with the A10 and A11's custom ARM-based CPU cores delivering incredible performance along with the A11 featuring an in-house GPU design, it is not entirely implausible that Apple may be developing a processor for their Mac lineup.

This raises 3 key questions though. What architecture will Apple be basing this on? How will app developers make the transition so that their macOS apps work without major hiccups? And does this mean a converging platform is on its way?

Still too early to tell but this is probably the most interesting bit of Apple news I've heard in a long while.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

lol, apple seems to be taking a turn for worse, how would that even make sense use ARM architecture on PC's? making things harder for developers doesnt make things better for users.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

lol, apple seems to be taking a turn for worse, how would that even make sense use ARM architecture on PC's? making things harder for developers doesnt make thing better.

It's supposedly because they weren't happy with Intel's lack of progress on the CPU front.

Moving apps over from x86 to ARM is always a challenge, but it's still early days. And it is still a rumor, so nothing has been fully confirmed yet

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Aren't there patents by Intel or AMD keeping Apple from making their own chips? I honestly think Patents are too powerful. They are what make innovation suffer.

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

It's supposedly because they weren't happy with Intel's lack of progress on the CPU front.

Moving apps over from x86 to ARM is always a challenge, but it's still early days. And it is still a rumor, so nothing has been fully confirmed yet

Intel's lack of progress? Apple hasn't even updated their laptops to Intel 8th gen yet.

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

lol, apple seems to be taking a turn for worse, how would that even make sense use ARM architecture on PC's? making things harder for developers doesnt make things better for users.

That would make it more difficult for users unless Apple would make all their apps compatible without having to buy new software.

This rumor started since Apple was making its own ARM based CPU for its iPhone.

Every year it is being talked about.

I guess now it is becoming more possible thanks that Microsoft showed Windows 10 running on ARM, which is said to runs fine... until you run x86 programs which runs OK'ish, for a similar priced Intel based CPU. But Microsoft had to equip the fastest ARM SoC it can get its hands on. So we will need to wait for these devices to come out and see reviews. But maybe in the few years it will viable alternatives for most people, especially if a mid tier SoC has the capabilities needed to give a decent experience, and while being cheaper than Intel... Then again, Intel could restructure and decide to drop making its massive profits, and cut the price of its CPUs deeply.

@D13H4RD2L1V3

Your entry is fine. It is the first one in the Tech News section and that is what matters.

To bad for the other for not doing a good job, or was not fast enough to correct their entries.

We don't care about sub forums entries.  :)

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Intel's lack of progress? Apple hasn't even updated their laptops to Intel 8th gen yet.

Possibly because they're waiting for the H variant for the MBP

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

This rumor started since Apple was making its own ARM based CPU for its iPhone.

Every year it is being talked about.

I guess now it is becoming more possible thanks that Microsoft showed Windows 10 running on ARM, which is said to runs fine... until you run x86 programs which runs OK'ish, for a similar priced Intel based CPU. But Microsoft had to equip the fastest ARM SoC it can get its hands on. So we will need to wait for these devices to come out and see reviews. But maybe in the few years it will viable alternatives for most people, especially if a mid tier SoC has the capabilities needed to give a decent experience, and while being cheaper than Intel... Then again, Intel could restructure and decide to drop making its massive profits, and cut the price of its CPUs deeply.

Yeah, it's more of a possibility now than before.

But challenges still remain. The only thing I can reasonably say is to wait and see

5 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Aren't there patents by Intel or AMD keeping Apple from making their own chips? I honestly think Patents are too powerful. They are what make innovation suffer.

Apple could probably get the patent for x86 through buying or merging a compnay who's name ive forgotten, but they need to get AMD's x64 patent. AMD and Intel crossliscense it. There are ways they could make their "own" chips by offering juicy contracts to AMD. Other than that Apple only option seems to create ARM cpu's. Patants do make inovation suffer, however they are good for the company who has invested in the tech and stops the other companies from blatantly copying them. 

Doesn't Thunderbolt require an Intel CPU? I don't know much about it, but I thought it was a cooperative project between Apple and Intel. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, Tedny said:

Hasn't Apple do it in early 2000 and it fails? 

that was IBM's PPC chips, not in house designed ones IIRC. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

22 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Apple could probably get the patent for x86 through buying or merging a compnay who's name ive forgotten, but they need to get AMD's x64 patent. AMD and Intel crossliscense it. There are ways they could make their "own" chips by offering juicy contracts to AMD. Other than that Apple only option seems to create ARM cpu's. Patants do make inovation suffer, however they are good for the company who has invested in the tech and stops the other companies from blatantly copying them. 

VIA, and I believe their licence is nontransferrable

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

17 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Doesn't Thunderbolt require an Intel CPU? I don't know much about it, but I thought it was a cooperative project between Apple and Intel. 

It used to but not anymore I think for TB3

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

3 minutes ago, Tedny said:

Hasn't Apple do it in early 2000 and it fails? 

They were PowerPC-based

1 minute ago, Tedny said:

Oh, Apple will clone Intel chips, not making new chips 

that would end up in them getting sued and in massive trouble since Intel owns all the copyrights and patents for their chips...

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Okjoek said:

Bro don't doubt Apple's will to go ARM then tell their professional customers to eat a dick like always. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

37 minutes ago, Tedny said:

Oh, Apple will clone Intel chips, not making new chips 

Apple couldn't reverse engineer an X86 cpu from AMD or Intel legally, but it could be possible to get a custom chip or a special version of Ryzen from AMD.

1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Possibly because they're waiting for the H variant for the MBP

True, apple wants lower TDP versions exclusive to their hardware which does take Intel more time to manufacture. An ARM cpu couldn't replace their pro tier of laptops, though they could maybe start with the Macbook Air. Being compatible with the app store and an all day battery is all most would care about. Although Apple doesn't really care about screwing over their enthusiast or pro customers when they have taken away useful ports from the pro laptops.

30 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

True, apple wants lower TDP versions exclusive to their hardware which does take Intel more time to manufacture. An ARM cpu couldn't replace their pro tier of laptops, though they could maybe start with the Macbook Air. Being compatible with the app store and an all day battery is all most would care about. Although Apple doesn't really care about screwing over their enthusiast or pro customers when they have taken away useful ports from the pro laptops.

It may start with the current 12” MacBook

1 hour ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

VIA, and I believe their licence is nontransferrable

VIA. Apple could however fund a CPU devision within AMD through a contract. They would be specially designed chips made in cooperation with Apple. We could then see a speedup in the Mobile department at AMD.

Apple has the money to go through AMD to get their own chips

Just now, GoldenLag said:

VIA. Apple could however fund a CPU devision within AMD through a contract. They would be specially designed chips made in cooperation with Apple. We could then see a speedup in the Mobile department at AMD.

Apple has the money to go through AMD to get their own chips

Possible. More likely they'll just build an x86 compatibility layer into MacOS and use ARM CPUs. Transmeta Crusoe anyone?

She/they 

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

It may start with the current 12” MacBook

I think an Macbook Air ARM edition would be well recieved. They arent powerfull devices to begin with and the extra batterylife that those chips offer would be tasty for students and other on the go customers

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Until today, there was no reason to downgrade to 8th gen chips. Now, there is an upgrade to the 7700HQ+. Still only downgrades for the 13" models, given their L4 cache and beefier iGPU.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I'm curious as to whether or not Apple would switch to ARM or just work on its own x86 processors.  ARM makes the most sense based on its experience and compatibility with iOS, but it'd be funny if Apple did to x86 what it did to ARM and find a way to offer consistently better performance with the same base architecture.

And I'm not sure which one would give Intel the greater heart attack... switching to a different architecture, or developing x86 in a way that makes Intel look like it's slacking.  There's been this nagging sense that Intel leads the x86 world not because it's the best you could possibly get, but because it's the default.