Total Meltdown - Microsoft's Meltdown patch failure allows any program to R/W kernel memory

https://blog.frizk.net/2018/03/total-meltdown.html

Microsoft made something termed "The worst which could happen" into something even worse. Microsoft's Windows 7 patch for Meltdown had the unintended effect of letting any application access kernel memory - both reading and writing.

Meet the Windows 7 Meltdown patch from January. It stopped Meltdown but opened up a vulnerability way worse ... It allowed any process to read the complete memory contents at gigabytes per second, oh - it was possible to write to arbitrary memory as well.

No fancy exploits were needed. Windows 7 already did the hard work of mapping in the required memory into every running process. Exploitation was just a matter of read and write to already mapped in-process virtual memory. No fancy APIs or syscalls required - just standard read and write!

Microsoft accidentally set the User/Supervisor flag to User, allowing any user mode application to access the kernel memory which was what the patch should have prevented.

In short - the User/Supervisor permission bit was set to User in the PML4 self-referencing entry. This made the page tables available to user mode code in every process. The page tables should normally only be accessible by the kernel itself.

The PML4 is the base of the 4-level in-memory page table hierarchy that the CPU Memory Management Unit (MMU) uses to translate the virtual addresses of a process into physical memory addresses in RAM. For more in-depth information about paging please have a look at Getting Physical: Extreme abuse of Intel based Paging Systems - Part 1 and Part 2.

Additionally  the location of the flag was not randomised like in Windows 10, allowing simpler access to the flag.

All one has to do is to write their own Page Table Entries (PTEs) into the page tables to access arbitrary physical memory.

The last '7' in the PML4e 0x0000000062100867 (from above example) indicates that bits 0, 1, 2 are set, which means it's Present, Writable and User-mode accessible as per the description in the Intel Manual.

image.png.faa1b79d07bca5b143de0a7924e3f5c7.png

Microsoft has patched the issue in the mean time - only Windows 7 x64 systems were affected. Given only one platform was affected by an incorrect flag I would assume that this was produced by an incorrect compiler or a similar issue rather than a human. However one has to consider what sort of automatic security testing/fuzzing software Microsoft used if they did not check for the issue they were fixing.

Edit: Windows Server 2008 R2 also affected

wow everyone is having issues patching.

REMINDER test patches before deployed don't use the public as testers.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Luckily this has already been patched but damn is that scary.

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

wow everyone is having issues patching.

REMINDER test patches before deployed don't use the public as testers.

Microsoft: Join our insider program and find our bugs for us!

Anyone have the KB # for the patch that fixes this issue?

edit: Nevermind. It was patched in 2018-03. KB4088878 and up should have it!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

. Given only one platform was affected by an incorrect flag I would assume that this was produced by an incorrect compiler or a similar issue rather than a human. 

I'm waiting for the reply to say they did this intentionally to make people upgrade to w10 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Cookybiscuit said:

I'm sure this was a total accident and definitely not a sad attempt to get people to use Windows 10.

Shush you

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

I'm waiting for the reply to say they did this intentionally to make people upgrade to w10 

1 minute ago, Cookybiscuit said:

I'm sure this was a total accident and definitely not a sad attempt to get people to use Windows 10.

Well you called it lol

3 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

Microsoft has patched the issue in the mean time - only Windows 7 x64 systems were affected. Given only one platform was affected by an incorrect flag I would assume that this was produced by an incorrect compiler or a similar issue rather than a human. However one has to consider what sort of automatic security testing/fuzzing software Microsoft used if they did not check for the issue they were fixing.

Windows Server 2008 R2 is also effected

11 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

Just wait, they come.  along with the 15 paragraph lectures on spying and government underhandedness.  Fifteen links to Russian newspapers as evidence etc etc etc.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

- Sir, we just noticed, in some occasions, the wrong keys are able to unlock our main door. Wee need to fix this!

- I see. Any suggestions?

- Remove the door?

In this case the analogy would have the suggestion, "let's give everyone the keys to every door, problem solved".

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Ahahahahahaha!!

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

19 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It prevented Meltdown, that was all that testing that was required per se.

Issue: Windows vulnerable to Meltdown.

Fix: Implement patch to shutdown any computer using Intel CPUs as soon as CPU type detected.

Outcome: Windows cannot be attacked using Meltdown.

Given Microsoft's QA for larger releases this seems reasonable - >7 million Windows Insiders and they still have large scale issues on many releases

4 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Fix: Implement patch to shutdown any computer using Intel CPUs as soon as CPU type detected.

Given Microsoft's QA for larger releases this seems reasonable - >7 million Windows Insiders and they still have large scale issues on many releases

and it's going to be even funnier now when it happens due to MS shoving AUTOMATIC UPDATES down our throats.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

9 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Technically that fixes the issue.  But aside that, if someone doesn't test a corner case because it didn't cross their mind, then it doesn't get tested, it's that simple. And if everyone is tunnel visioned into thinking about what problem to solve, things like this slip through. Unless you want everyone to spend the rest of their lives finding corner cases, you're not going to release anything at all.

Hindsight is 20/20 after all.

2 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

It took industry leading professionals more than 15 years to find Meltdown.   Insiders (who mostly just use the OS and report obvious bugs) are neither going to be efficient at uncovering bugs that have no obvious signs of existing let alone is it the point of the program to uncover such exploits.    We may as well blame the test drivers at VW for not picking up the emissions control fraud. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

due to MS shoving AUTOMATIC UPDATES down our throats.

so annoying. They now shove MS Office updates up my *** constantly, changing stuff. NO, Microc*cks, I paid for Office 2016, not crappy Office 365 (365 referring to the amount of issues it has?)

*desperation*

13 minutes ago, The Viking said:

so annoying. They now shove MS Office updates up my *** constantly, changing stuff. NO, Microc*cks, I paid for Office 2016, not crappy Office 365 (365 referring to the amount of issues it has?)

*desperation*

I'd like to know what's going on there, because I have the same office installed on a windows 7 machine and a windows 10 machine. I get constant requests on 7 to upgrade/update  but nothing on the 10 machine. 

anyone know if this Total Meltdown need local access or physical access to exploit?

still didnt install latest windows update yet since it have problem to NIC and causing another problem

24 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I'd like to know what's going on there, because I have the same office installed on a windows 7 machine and a windows 10 machine. I get constant requests on 7 to upgrade/update  but nothing on the 10 machine. 

Because 10 does it without asking? 9_9 Anyway, im totally dropped office now so IDK... :D (the HR loves me for this one with their macro infested crap)

26 minutes ago, heybengbeng said:

anyone know if this Total Meltdown need local access or physical access to exploit?

still didnt install latest windows update yet since it have problem to NIC and causing another problem

Total Meltdown is a bug with the OS itself. If you are affected, anyone with access of any kind can exploit it.

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

Because 10 does it without asking? 9_9 Anyway, im totally dropped office now so IDK... :D (the HR loves me for this one with their macro infested crap)

No updates, nothing.  It just leaves it alone.  It's like I turned off automatic updates or something (but I haven't).