Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

It can but it's tricky - If you do a "From scratch" install with that amount of RAM already in the system it works (Normally) but the moment you reduce the amount of RAM it goes wonky.
I tried this years ago and discovered how to make it run 1GB's worth and that's how you do it. Win ME normally tolerates up to 512MB's worth no prob but once you go past that it's a problem because it cannot assign addresses (Slots) to all the available RAM you'd have, that why it's best done straight from scratch with the amount of RAM you have and once done, just leave it as is.

The real reliable limit I found was 768MB's worth, after that it's a toss up at times.

If you've already done this kind of install and it's still acting crazy, it's possible the board/BIOS may be a factor.

All sorted now - I just treated it more like 98 - only 1 of the 4 sticks installed, every driver and patch installed, then install the mem patch and put the sticks back in. I could have sworn that on at least one of my old PC I had ME working just fine out of the box with 1GB.

Downside is the Voodoo2 drivers for me at least seem to all cause issues when used under ME, so I'm running without them now.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I may have finally figured out what this ISA card is and it's way cooler than I originally thought if I'm right.

It seems to be for emulating the IBM PC to run older software. That socketed chip in the 40 pin DIP package is a 4mhz CPU. It's also got two Samsung RAM chips - from what I can piece together one is for the CPU itself, the other is for interfacing with the host machine. One chip is its BIOS rom, not sure what the COM52C50 socketed chip does. Rest of the board is all assorted 74LS logic, except for those 3 TI chips at the top right, can't figure out what they are for and why it uses 3 different model numbers, but they are line drivers.

image.thumb.png.f94c1af3e92a49ce4675efc5c52671cb.png

I could be entirely wrong, there's very little information about this card. 

So a customer at the shop has an original IBM PC, if anyone is interested I can get you his contact information if you're in the midwest region and can come to the north end of Will County (1hr south of Chicago) to get it. He also has a reel to reel and a bunch of tapes for it, and a box of floppies for the PC. I don't know anything beyond that but I'd be more than happy to put anyone interested in touch with him by passing your contact info off to him. He's a really nice guy and just wants to get rid of the stuff.

4 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

I may have finally figured out what this ISA card is and it's way cooler than I originally thought if I'm right.

It seems to be for emulating the IBM PC to run older software. That socketed chip in the 40 pin DIP package is a 4mhz CPU. It's also got two Samsung RAM chips - from what I can piece together one is for the CPU itself, the other is for interfacing with the host machine. One chip is its BIOS rom, not sure what the COM52C50 socketed chip does. Rest of the board is all assorted 74LS logic, except for those 3 TI chips at the top right, can't figure out what they are for and why it uses 3 different model numbers, but they are line drivers.

Time to get in touch with Clint from LGR, he probably has one.

(for some reason my dad thinks an image of a old laptop can make you hacked) (By the way, this isnt sold.) just for people that think they can buy it when it has "never used"

It has personal info on it. its my grandpas old laptop

image_2022-09-18_180140471.png

GPU: RTX 2060

CPU: AMD ryzen 5 3600

RAM: 16 GB

SSD: TEAM hard drive

Motherboard: asrock

That reminds me that I should get some shots of my ProSignia 165 on here eventually. Seems to be a rather rare laptop all things considered. Kind of sad that I killed the battery (which still held a very good charge) a few years ago by forgetting to charge it for an extended period of time. Some day I might look into getting that replaced.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The new additions.  128MB Tul Radeon 9200 and 128MB Sapphire Radeon 9250 Atlantis. The heatsink on the Tul gets hot but the back of the card only gets warm unlike the Sapphire 9200 Atlantis (be very careful soldering near RAM btw, and Sapphire loved that shitty heatsink design).

20220919_112053.thumb.jpg.b31e401fbdf75e573c189e402dfd8117.jpg

20220919_112034.thumb.jpg.53422aff64fc8175592975594fea63bb.jpg

Edit: The 9250 has DDR 333, just like the 9200SE. So its straight up the SE with DVI instead of A/V and a 40MHz overclock. Combine that with Sapphire cards having poorer performance than other manufacturers at the time (straight up that'd be the lower clocked vRAM) and the lower quality caps (the Tul uses Sanyo, Sapphire Licon) - Sapphire really looked as if they were building solely for OEM.

PMSL

Sorry for no pictures, got rid it in a move

I had an old hp pavilion zv5000 with a pentium 4, mobility Radeon 6k graphics and 512 mb of ram, it didn't run but I tore it apart to look at the internals

new...old 98se???? not done yet but getting there...

98se new 004.jpg

x8503dmark20001.png

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Got some packages! Left to right: Adaptec 68 pin SCSI cables with terminator (appropriately shipped in Parmesan cheese box), Ultrastar 15K 73gb SAS, 48GB (12x4) DDR3-1066 ECC. Right 2 are for my server, the SCSI cables are for my SCSI project.

6B48C51D-86FD-413D-8E15-A607A82D9020.thumb.jpeg.60cdeb7f6db38e92fbe9d07e967e19a2.jpeg

I used to use a gtx285 and i5 750

But predating that i do hv ddr2 and a E8400

I do hv a pentium 4 lying around tho never had a compatable mobo

I pulled this CPU fan out of a custom build my dad put together in the late 90s when he was in grad school:

IMG_0395.thumb.jpg.8389f9496bb0a66426ef9ece4cee5546.jpg

Crazy that a fan that small could be used to cool a CPU! This computer still worked just a few years ago when I tested it. Only recently it stopped functioning, but I saved some of the parts.

Got some hardware fresh off the boat from Lithuania today.

image.thumb.jpeg.920812440ee8ae65ea2ff8617c014c31.jpeg

This is after I cleaned them, they had a lot of rusty bits and nasty buildup.

image.thumb.jpeg.83c17ea74631c58e32a0f3cd85b559ed.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ae9c2dacc2c41231b8c6d3162bdc6f06.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.282b378361ce896be8716240650ff9ba.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f7603ce58c4babf7ea8b7d8ef2a2240f.jpeg

Lol gonna need a bigger case now, the pump and res sit right where all the power connectors are, so it's being pushed out now. This little Corsair case was never meant for this.

My trusty EVGA 790i FTW Digital PWM and QX9650 running perfect, got the QX clocked at 4GHz right now for fun. It's a new one to replace my ailing original, I haven't tried pushing it much past 4GHz yet, my old one hit 4.5 before becoming unstable. I punished it with too much voltage when I tried pushing for 5GHz so it can only run stock (3GHz) to about 3.6GHz now without errors.

I've got an EVGA 790i Ultra coming soon. It's not as sophisticated as my Digital board, less power phases (6 vs 8) and less customizable BIOS, but it should be fun to play with.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

On 9/29/2022 at 12:25 AM, NinjaBoy said:

I pulled this CPU fan out of a custom build my dad put together in the late 90s when he was in grad school:

IMG_0395.thumb.jpg.8389f9496bb0a66426ef9ece4cee5546.jpg

Crazy that a fan that small could be used to cool a CPU! This computer still worked just a few years ago when I tested it. Only recently it stopped functioning, but I saved some of the parts.

They used to have...NO FANS and even older ones had NO HEATSINK!

Pentium 4 was insanely hot!

Also I wish I didn't sell my Barton OC beast 😞

I edit my posts more often than not

On 9/22/2022 at 7:36 PM, Mel0n. said:

Crap ton of 50 pin external SCSI cables

image.png.2df561b0a214c7180ba39f65cc0a8409.png

Take a closer look.  That's a 36 pin connector, not a 50.  You're hold a stack of old parrallel port Printer cables, not SCSI. (Which honestly makes lot more sense in a school)

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

On 9/17/2022 at 1:13 PM, Mel0n. said:

It appears you are partially correct.  I think what you've got is a 3XTWIN, detailed here:

3XTWIN 5250 Emulation Kit - Windows XP 5250 Emulation (twindata.com) (Possibly newer version of same card)

Emerald Technology 9055811 8 Bit 3XTWIN Rev E1 15 Pin Male Card | RecycledGoods.com

From what I can tell, it was used to allow a computer to connect to an IBM System/36, which was a multiuser system for "small" business.  It appears you would put this in your office PCs, and connect it to the System/36.  Think of it as a hardware version of Remote Desktop to an office server.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

7 hours ago, LapsedMemory said:

Take a closer look.  That's a 36 pin connector, not a 50.  You're hold a stack of old parrallel port Printer cables, not SCSI. (Which honestly makes lot more sense in a school)

Would have been far more robust than the standard connector.

PMSL