Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

9 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

If you're going to use an OptiPlex why not get something bigger? Even going up to a DT model will get you a better cooling setup, and you won't have to deal with the hard drive fan. 

I haven't worked on an OptiPlex 740 in probably 8 years or so, but IIRC that slot is used by the DVI add-in adapter. It breaks out the onboard video for a second output, similar to ADD2 cards found in Intel systems from that era. 

Like one of these you mean?

PXL_20220905_013051635.thumb.jpg.3bce682ab621eb4f45e12cfe9fca279f.jpg

This is from my Uncle's old Pentium D rig that i used to recover some stuff from 5.25" and 3.5" Floppies for my Step Dad

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

2 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

Like one of these you mean?

Yep, similar to one of those. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

23 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

If you're going to use an OptiPlex why not get something bigger? Even going up to a DT model will get you a better cooling setup, and you won't have to deal with the hard drive fan. 

I haven't worked on an OptiPlex 740 in probably 8 years or so, but IIRC that slot is used by the DVI add-in adapter. It breaks out the onboard video for a second output, similar to ADD2 cards found in Intel systems from that era. 

I got this one for a total of $0.00, which is how I like my hardware when I'm just getting into something.

If I decide I like AM2+ enough I might buy something better. No point in buying a bigger Optiplex with the same BIOS and limited mem support when I could get an enthusiast grade board for not much more

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354260133726

Can someone explain to me why it appears there are temperature markings on the express card slot cover? Not sure this is retro but there's some fairly smart people here. Is there an optional thermometer to glue in? Is this how we used to get laptop temps?

Working on the next projects - Three in total right now.
Two were sent through the diswasher to get them cleaned up due to all the dust accumilated on them, I've had dust alone cause problems so knocking that out was just the first step of the work.
Not the same board as shown earlier, the one on the left (NF7) so far has tested dead everytime I've tried it since I bought it, the other (NF7-S) was working, even showed signs of life the other day but it's acting so wonky I figured a good cleanup can't hurt it - So did the deed and here they are, drying out. I'll let these sit and try them after Labor Day.

All total I have 5 of these with 3 working OK, it's these two ATM that's in need of attention.

The third project is a DFI Ultra D I had started to part out because it was testing dead but earlier I spotted something I hadn't seen before with it so I'm gonna redo it and try it again.
No pics of it right now but if it works I'll show it, what I had to do and so on.

990212855_TwoNF7s.thumb.JPG.d143300e8932cd26c501061c24cf3065.JPG

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Can someone explain to me why it appears there are temperature markings on the express card slot cover? Not sure this is retro but there's some fairly smart people here. Is there an optional thermometer to glue in? Is this how we used to get laptop temps?

Ah yes, retro 4th gen. I sure do love my vintage GTX 980! 

I believe that expresscard filler thermometer is just for decoration... If it's a genuine one as the title claims, that must just be Dell trying to make their expresscard fillers more useful? Like, with the ruler and all...

Edited: looks like it is standard, huh - that's interesting. Never seen one of those in any Latitude I've worked on unfortunately

9 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Pretty sure it's just something handy for temperature conversions. It also has a ruler on the other side. 

17 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

I got this one for a total of $0.00, which is how I like my hardware when I'm just getting into something.

If I decide I like AM2+ enough I might buy something better. No point in buying a bigger Optiplex with the same BIOS and limited mem support when I could get an enthusiast grade board for not much more

Makes sense. I do like free stuff, though I don't have as much time these days to mess around with older stuff as I'd like to. The only Core 2 Duo era systems I currently have in use are used for specific tasks, such as the old OptiPlex 755 that serves as a NAS and a 2010 MacBook that I use for general web browsing. 

8 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Ah yes, retro 4th gen. I sure do love my vintage GTX 980! 

I recently put together an X79 build with a Xeon E5-2697 v2 (12 cores, 24 threads), and I know people who would classify it as vintage. Me? It's an upgrade from what I was using in this machine. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 minute ago, BondiBlue said:

I recently put together an X79 build with a Xeon E5-2697 v2 (12 cores, 24 threads), and I know people who would classify it as vintage. Me? It's an upgrade from what I was using in this machine. 

Same, the definition of "retro" for some people is a bit skewed... I'll call earlier LGA775 "retro" but most Core 2 Quads even can feel like a stretch to call "retro".

After all...

image.thumb.png.6b687398518002a9d00b9dd582cd71a7.png

Cinebench scores/render times for single and multithread on CB2003 and CBR10. Q9550 dominates a first gen i5, Q9650 isn't too far off from my laptop's 3rd gen i7...

I've had people call my C602/LGA2011 system "retro".

Last week someone asked with a straight face if my Precision laptop with a Quadro K series GPU and 3rd gen i7 was "from the 1980s". I had not laughed that hard in a while

Must be a busy week, everyone doing something computer related....!!

Lost my IHS plate for a s939 AMD CPU, So I had to improvise. 

image.jpeg.775dab57003fcf2e4f5b3df17fdbb46b.jpeg

Oh baby, here it is in action. 

image.gif.8894be1c65aa7a290826864fa3587d39.gif

25 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Oh baby, here it is in action. 

image.gif.8894be1c65aa7a290826864fa3587d39.gif

Hopefully, before long I'll have some of that action going down myself. 😉

31 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Must be a busy week, everyone doing something computer related....!!

Lost my IHS plate for a s939 AMD CPU, So I had to improvise. 

image.jpeg.775dab57003fcf2e4f5b3df17fdbb46b.jpeg

Dude - You have a cap swelling on the board, get that dealt with before it does something naughty.
Right above and to the right of the CPU, the upper-right corner of the CPU as pictured literally points at it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

11 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Hopefully, before long I'll have some of that action going down myself. 😉

Dude - You have a cap swelling on the board, get that dealt with before it does something naughty.
Right above and to the right of the CPU, the upper-right corner of the CPU as pictured literally points at it.

Yeah, it's been that way for years. For the upper USB ports.

I shouldn't DIce and LN it, it's the last working DFI board I have. Since nothing lasts forever, gotta have a fun experience. If it sees off, oh well. We had a good time.

Did some work on these, letting them dry fully after their trip through the dishwasher.

A pair of NF7's and an Ultra D are the subjects here.

After this is done it's test-time to see what lives and what gets parted out to keep the others alive.

I posted the temp I used for the oven to dry them with, I simply let it get to temp (170f/84c) and after I popped them in I turned the oven off, letting the residual heat do the work.
I've done this many times before and never had an issue (So far). 😁

1303367451_Tempsetting.thumb.JPG.700a9cca219379bd326384abc5144049.JPG

655342617_Dryingout.thumb.JPG.a7d798c2ae3a1319fb0026b59869c726.JPG

You must have soft water, if I tried that here I'd have white mineral crust all up in the boards. I use 90% rubbing alcohol and a soft brush or some acetone and old tooth brush if it's something more stubborn like left over flux.

50 minutes ago, Bitter said:

You must have soft water, if I tried that here I'd have white mineral crust all up in the boards. I use 90% rubbing alcohol and a soft brush or some acetone and old tooth brush if it's something more stubborn like left over flux.

Not really, however I don't have issues with mineral buildup when I do this.

The results are:
1 dead DFI

1 dead NF7

1 live NF7-S

Things turned out like I expected with the given history of these, esp with the NF7.
The SB warms up as expected of a working board but the entire CPU/RAM/NB circuit on it is dead (Stays cold), probrably a blown chipset involved and not unusual to see with these.

The DFI I had hopes for since I was already using it for parts anyway but noticed something on it late last night, so I had to give it one more shot to be sure it was dead - And it is.
Just means I've got parts for the rest to keep them going.

The NF7-S I expected to live and it does, instead of acting crazy on me like before it fired up perfectly after the cleaning.

Forgot I had this, brandnew in it's original packaging.
345731523_CPUpackage-Front.thumb.JPG.b9e5a441bfb0176cd09de8b6f5df4e5b.JPG

1233201137_CPUpackage-Side.thumb.JPG.99210cfdbd48d9e2d1a96f21e5a84b5b.JPG

1672214055_CPUpackage-bottom.thumb.JPG.4f141da9037c23e49d2f8fe7f68f7f74.JPG

599118917_CPUinpackage-unused.thumb.JPG.dbb2f970be076220f5aa94507f867233.JPG

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

Forgot I had this

Think i had a 2600+ back in the day.  It was the first computer i ever built from the ground up.  Frightening to think that was over 20 years ago now..

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

25 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

Think i had a 2600+ back in the day.  It was the first computer i ever built from the ground up.  Frightening to think that was over 20 years ago now..

Barton or T-Bred core?

15 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Barton or T-Bred core?

No clue.  Still got it in the cupboard somewhere i'll dig it out at some point