Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

Haven't tried to plug it in yet to see if it will boot but, brought an old Apple II+ home with me.  Has the floppy disk drive card and the super serial card as well as a channel 33 RF modulator.

IMG_20221020_163119004.jpg

IMG_20221020_163147385_HDR.jpg

Been thinking about how revolutionary the Core 2 Duo was lately. One of the few CPUs to be so groundbreaking it made all that came before irrelevant. For a bit of comparison, at launch in 2006 the Athlon 64 x2 6000+, a dual-core 125w chip, cost $469. In 2008, the Pentium Dual-Core E5200, a low-end chip based off of the Core 2 Duo architecture, launched at $79. The chips had near identical performance, with the Pentium actually pulling out ahead by a small amount.

Imagine that - Intel releases a 14th gen i3 that beats the Ryzen 9 7900x at 17% of the price. 

15 hours ago, ApolloX75 said:

Wish I had my 9800 GX2s from years back still, but three 9800 GTXs will work too.

PXL_20221019_233140577.thumb.jpg.5bfb0cf2ec18210d495891f46d704f12.jpg

Hey I know that board! That's gotta be a 7xi SLI series right? Looks rather close to my XFX 780i SLI. Must be one of the 700 series with three chipsets. 

Are you running DDR2-1066 in it? 

1 hour ago, Mel0n. said:

Hey I know that board! That's gotta be a 7xi SLI series right? Looks rather close to my XFX 780i SLI. Must be one of the 700 series with three chipsets. 

Are you running DDR2-1066 in it? 

Correct, 700 series but not an 80. She's a 790i FTW Digital PWM. Running DDR3-2000 right now.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Has a Geforce 4 mx 64mb in it and 2x256mb sticks

image.jpeg.112beffb0c7436166fcca49f1199983f.jpeg

image.jpeg.cd7347f484b325b28c27a066b39ac6be.jpeg

I7 12700k - Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4 - TEAM GROUP 2X16GB DDR4 3600C16 - MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB - Crucial P5 Pro 500GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Gen4x4 - WD SN850 1TB M.2 NVME Gen4x4 X2 - SanDisk 2TB SSD PLUS 2.5" - Corsair RM850x - Lian Li o11D XL - EK 360mm PE - EK 360mm XE - Heatkiller IV - AC Quantum Vector Trio - AC ultitube 150 D5 pump/res - AC OCTO - AC High FLow - dell s2721dgfa 27" nano IPS 165hz dell p2219h 22" 1920x1080p 75hz

Sexy AF:

20221029_083343.thumb.jpg.87bfa7d3272fd22da3e5090c6c1a2afc.jpg

20221029_084427.thumb.jpg.f29463724df6cf27087be0eadbbe840d.jpg

SLI in an SMP rig. Hope the XP drivers work well, never really played games while using them.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, Ozmandias said:

Has a Geforce 4 mx 64mb in it and 2x256mb sticks

image.jpeg.112beffb0c7436166fcca49f1199983f.jpeg

image.jpeg.cd7347f484b325b28c27a066b39ac6be.jpeg

That's the kind of board that I'd really like to have over my Gigabyte 7IXEH. Would make a perfect counterpart to my VP6. The Athlon's heatsink really does make the one my Uncle's old computer had on its Duron 1000 from new look especially ridiculous as well.

If you can't solder already BTW I recommend that you get practice. You're lucky that the caps around the VRM haven't failed yet.

PMSL

45 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Sexy AF:

20221029_083343.thumb.jpg.87bfa7d3272fd22da3e5090c6c1a2afc.jpg

20221029_084427.thumb.jpg.f29463724df6cf27087be0eadbbe840d.jpg

SLI in an SMP rig. Hope the XP drivers work well, never really played games while using them.

Those Voodoo's are nice and you have the actual Voodoo SLI bridge too - I know some guys that would love to have that setup!
Best of all you have it in a dual CPU board too - Awesome!
Is that an Asus A7M-266D board?
I have one myself but there is alot of stuff in there, making it hard to truly tell.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

Those Voodoo's are nice and you have the actual Voodoo SLI bridge too - I know some guys that would love to have that setup!
Best of all you have it in a dual CPU board too - Awesome!
Is that an Asus A7M-266D board?
I have one myself but there is alot of stuff in there, making it hard to truly tell.

A guy down in Victoria is selling the bridge kits. Assembly required of course but certainly better than the bodged FDD cable (which didn't work as well as the lost original). It's also much easier soldering new pins than old ones as part of repairs.

And the board is the Abit VP6 (which I used to run a 750GB RAID 0 array on until my Xbox were ready for them - would have been 1TB if they'd all arrived OK, and the PCI bus was easily maxed with just 2 drives) - just waiting for caps to start failing as this board is one of Abit's that were part of a successful class action.

Edit: BTW, if you see the Intel stock coolers they are always on some form of S370 CPU - they break when used on Socket A (RIP other cooler clip 😢)

PMSL

9 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

That's the kind of board that I'd really like to have over my Gigabyte 7IXEH. Would make a perfect counterpart to my VP6. The Athlon's heatsink really does make the one my Uncle's old computer had on its Duron 1000 from new look especially ridiculous as well.

If you can't solder already BTW I recommend that you get practice. You're lucky that the caps around the VRM haven't failed yet.

Surprisingly the board is in good condition. I was out and about and spotted it in a skip, with a few other bits and pieces. if you are UK, its actually on ebay for sale. 

I7 12700k - Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4 - TEAM GROUP 2X16GB DDR4 3600C16 - MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB - Crucial P5 Pro 500GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Gen4x4 - WD SN850 1TB M.2 NVME Gen4x4 X2 - SanDisk 2TB SSD PLUS 2.5" - Corsair RM850x - Lian Li o11D XL - EK 360mm PE - EK 360mm XE - Heatkiller IV - AC Quantum Vector Trio - AC ultitube 150 D5 pump/res - AC OCTO - AC High FLow - dell s2721dgfa 27" nano IPS 165hz dell p2219h 22" 1920x1080p 75hz

7 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

A guy down in Victoria is selling the bridge kits. Assembly required of course but certainly better than the bodged FDD cable (which didn't work as well as the lost original). It's also much easier soldering new pins than old ones as part of repairs.

And the board is the Abit VP6 (which I used to run a 750GB RAID 0 array on until my Xbox were ready for them - would have been 1TB if they'd all arrived OK, and the PCI bus was easily maxed with just 2 drives) - just waiting for caps to start failing as this board is one of Abit's that were part of a successful class action.

Edit: BTW, if you see the Intel stock coolers they are always on some form of S370 CPU - they break when used on Socket A (RIP other cooler clip 😢)

Ah!
Need to let my teammate Mac ( https://hwbot.org/user/macsbeach98/ ) know about that and see if he has one or not.

Very nice indeed.
I think I'm gonna breakout one of my A's with some DICE or Ln2 before long and well, you know.....🥶

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

13 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Ah!
Need to let my teammate Mac ( https://hwbot.org/user/macsbeach98/ ) know about that and see if he has one or not.

Very nice indeed.
I think I'm gonna breakout one of my A's with some DICE or Ln2 before long and well, you know.....🥶

The same guy is also selling voltage blasters (the ones made by Phil). Both v1 through-hole and v2 SMD.

Something that I'll never need as I'll just keep on repairing the old PSU that I have left.

Edit: With how lucky I've been with what I've been given or the prices of what I've bought - I'd never risk overclocking even on air with any of my retro hardware. Some parts are unobtanium before money is taking into consideration.

14 hours ago, Ozmandias said:

Surprisingly the board is in good condition. I was out and about and spotted it in a skip, with a few other bits and pieces. if you are UK, its actually on ebay for sale. 

Considering the heat output by the single Duron 1000 (it draws nearly as much power as 2x individually faster PIII 1000) - I'd be hesitant to buy any retro AMD SMP platform. Even though the 300W PSU that came with my Duron 1000 rig has both the 4pin ATX connector and the "AT PSU parts pin" AMD SMP power connector.

PMSL

17 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The same guy is also selling voltage blasters (the ones made by Phil). Both v1 through-hole and v2 SMD.

I'll be sure to pass it along to him.

Something that I'll never need as I'll just keep on repairing the old PSU that I have left.

Edit: With how lucky I've been with what I've been given or the prices of what I've bought - I'd never risk overclocking even on air with any of my retro hardware. Some parts are unobtanium before money is taking into consideration.

I know it myself - That's why my DFI NFII Ultra B just sits in the closet.

Considering the heat output by the single Duron 1000 (it draws nearly as much power as 2x individually faster PIII 1000) - I'd be hesitant to buy any retro AMD SMP platform. Even though the 300W PSU that came with my Duron 1000 rig has both the 4pin ATX connector and the "AT PSU parts pin" AMD SMP power connector.

They can get hot as my 800 Duron can attest to.
I have exactly 2 PSU's I can run with mine right now but one of them is a good choice for an A (OCZ 450W Modstream / +5V @ 45A). 
The other is an older 500W SeaSonic that has 35A on it's +5V rail so it's not bad in itself.

101_0965-1.thumb.jpg.53b424784de348fd3b7bea2a24e76476.jpg

4 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

I'll be sure to pass it along to him.

I know it myself - That's why my DFI NFII Ultra B just sits in the closet.

They can get hot as my 800 Duron can attest to.
I have exactly 2 PSU's I can run with mine right now but one of them is a good choice for an A (OCZ 450W Modstream / +5V @ 45A). 
The other is an older 500W SeaSonic that has 35A on it's +5V rail so it's not bad in itself.

101_0965-1.thumb.jpg.53b424784de348fd3b7bea2a24e76476.jpg

With the SMP board that you're selling though, and the MSI KT6V of mine 5V is really only a concern for cards and drives. Since they CPU's VRM draws power from the 12V rails. Hence buying a new PSU for my primary retro build - I'll never be able to get another NOS Socket A board again and I don't want another PSU explosion.

PMSL

Thing is not all Socket A boards rely on the 12V line to feed the CPU, if it doesn't have the 4 pin plug it gets CPU power from the 5V side instead.
My Abits use the 12V side for power like my DFI's do as you'd expect since they do have the 4 pin plug.

Most any decent PSU that has a 20 pin or 20+4 pin ATX connector can be used, if I recall correctly the DFI's can use a 24 pin ATX plug too but that is only because there is room for the extra 4 pins of the ATX plug to "Hang off the side" when it's plugged in. 

My Abits all have components in the way of these extra 4 pins so the plug doesn't go into the board's ATX header - Must use a 20 or 20+4 pin ATX plug.

My Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0's only use the 5V side for CPU power since they don't have the 4 pin plug, that where these PSU's come in handy.
My old Soyo K7V Dragon Plus!/ KT266A lacks the 4 pin plug too so these are useful for it as well.

TBH I'm glad to have them, it's hard to find good PSU's like these anymore for stuff like this.

One can always get a high amp buck and just turn 12V down to 5V if more 5V amps are needed. It would be like having a 2nd 5V rail but external, you could snip out the PSU 5V lines to the molex in need and wire those straight to the buck.

8 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Thing is not all Socket A boards rely on the 12V line to feed the CPU, if it doesn't have the 4 pin plug it gets CPU power from the 5V side instead.
My Abits use the 12V side for power like my DFI's do as you'd expect since they do have the 4 pin plug.

Most any decent PSU that has a 20 pin or 20+4 pin ATX connector can be used, if I recall correctly the DFI's can use a 24 pin ATX plug too but that is only because there is room for the extra 4 pins of the ATX plug to "Hang off the side" when it's plugged in. 

My Abits all have components in the way of these extra 4 pins so the plug doesn't go into the board's ATX header - Must use a 20 or 20+4 pin ATX plug.

My Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0's only use the 5V side for CPU power since they don't have the 4 pin plug, that where these PSU's come in handy.
My old Soyo K7V Dragon Plus!/ KT266A lacks the 4 pin plug too so these are useful for it as well.

TBH I'm glad to have them, it's hard to find good PSU's like these anymore for stuff like this.

Pentium 4's brought about the 4 pin additional cpu power plug. Most of the PSUs of that era were branded "P4 ready!" And often that 4 pin plug was labeled as such too. My old Enermax 430W has that labeling. Ive never encountered a Socket A board with that 4 pin plug, but I'm sure there's some out there near the end of its life cycle. I finally got my hands on a working A7N8X-E with SATA ports, can't wait to fire that up.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

26 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

Pentium 4's brought about the 4 pin additional cpu power plug. Most of the PSUs of that era were branded "P4 ready!" And often that 4 pin plug was labeled as such too. My old Enermax 430W has that labeling. Ive never encountered a Socket A board with that 4 pin plug, but I'm sure there's some out there near the end of its life cycle. I finally got my hands on a working A7N8X-E with SATA ports, can't wait to fire that up.

The Abit NF7's and AN7's do have it as shown below and those are well known Socket A board models - Esp the NF7/NF7-S.
It's directly to the left of the 20 pin ATX header and it's below, almost straightdown from the NB chipset cooler.
NF7.thumb.jpg.d421a59aa005b114cb53ee6e4711f7e7.jpg

I believe there is one variant of the Asus A7N line that has it, I'll need to poke around to see but I do know the standard Deluxe 1.04 and 2.0's both do not have it.

40 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

The Abit NF7's and AN7's do have it as shown below and those are well known Socket A board models - Esp the NF7/NF7-S.
It's directly to the left of the 20 pin ATX header and it's below, almost straightdown from the NB chipset cooler.
NF7.thumb.jpg.d421a59aa005b114cb53ee6e4711f7e7.jpg

I believe there is one variant of the Asus A7N line that has it, I'll need to poke around to see but I do know the standard Deluxe 1.04 and 2.0's both do not have it.

I never really encountered the Abit boards unfortunately, they weren't very common in my area. DFIs and Asus I saw a lot of though. I've seen a lot of A7Ns but I've never seen one with a 4 pin auxiliary. Would be neat to see though.

Edit: from some research, looks like the MSI K7N series had the 4 pin too, but not really any others. Articles and reviews from back then all make note of how strange it is to see on the few boards they appear on. Very funny.

There is a mod for adding the 4 pin plug to an A7N board, the guys at the bot have been working on it to improve power delivery and the results so far have been good.
I may try it myself one day.

9 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

I know - my Gigabyte GI7XEH is one such board, which is why I was surprised to see that the PSU it came with had the 4-pin connector (let alone the one for Athlon SMP boards). However, if I wanted to, I would actually be able to mod it to have a 4-pin connector. I saw a video on YouTube of that being done to an actually decent motherboard, and if push comes to shove and keeping the old PSU alive is too much effort - I'll be adding a 4pin connector (bit of a bodge for the connector since it won't be mounted as intended).

PMSL

54 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It really was the wild west of board lay out back in the day man.

Lol pretty much nothing was standard, everything was permitted. Things started to change for the better when you get into the Athlon 64 and later P4 era, RAM slot placement is typically better and everyone except MSI had, more or less, decent SATA port placement. MSI didn't get that right for a long time.

This is what I'm talking about concerning the mod I mentioned.
If you have an A7N8X it may be of interest.
A7N8X-E Deluxe as an alternative for socket 462 - Mainboards - HWBOT Community Forums

PXL_20221101_030400835.thumb.jpg.c4fac94f206835612d2bda2240f1c9b9.jpg

I've been organizing and doing inventory. The amount of parts I have is a bit embarrassing at this point, I've been stockpiling.