Regarding Exynos 9810 Galaxy S9/S9+

So, in last week's WAN Show, Linus mentioned that Samsung was artificially nerfing the quite superior Galaxy S9 with the Exynos 9810 to match it to the US and China variant, which uses the Snapdragon 845.

We know that the Exynos 9810 Is 60% faster in single threaded and 20% faster in Multithreaded than the Snapdragon 845, and it's the first Chip to provide competition against Apple Chips. 

So, my question, I plan on buying an S9+, an Exynos Variant (since I live in Mexico)

Will I be able to unlock the performance with a Flash of some sort? Or unlocking Android? I really want all of that power.

If I can't, I hope, that battery life is at least way better than the Snapdragon version.

20 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Will I be able to unlock the performance with a Flash of some sort? Or unlocking Android? I really want all of that power.

Since the phone isn't out yet we don't know, but the answer will most likely be yes.

Its no secret that Exynos Samsung Sx always faster than the SD counterpart.

I never heard samsung capping its own chip.

Since its android you will be able to install custom rom.

Whether that rom will unleash the hidden power, that i don't know.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

22 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Its no secret that Exynos Samsung Sx always faster than the SD counterpart.

I never heard samsung capping its own chip.

Whether that rom will unleash the hidden power, that i don't know.

It might not be faster in the future, which gives thems reason to opt for either SD or Exynos depending on if one of the ships gets a bad arcitecture

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

Provided someone manages to unlock the phone enough to do so. This is why I personally stay away from samsung phones, custom roms are a bit of a hassle on samsungs in my experience. My S4 active never got a bootloader unlock, so no custom recovery, and no custom roms.

Since the S9's are a flagship, they'll probably be quite a team trying to unlock it, but there's always the chance that samsung will lock it down hard enough that nobody can put custom roms on it.

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Provided someone manages to unlock the phone enough to do so. This is why I personally stay away from samsung phones, custom roms are a bit of a hassle on samsungs in my experience. My S4 active never got a bootloader unlock, so no custom recovery, and no custom roms.

Since the S9's are a flagship, they'll probably be quite a team trying to unlock it, but there's always the chance that samsung will lock it down hard enough that nobody can put custom roms on it.

Then what's the point of Android, if it's still locked down? I suppose it's still got more freedom than iOS... but it seems counterintuitive to lock down an open OS. Wouldn't the ability to run whatever you want be a good selling point?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

7 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Then what's the point of Android, if it's still locked down? I suppose it's still got more freedom than iOS... but it seems counterintuitive to lock down an open OS. Wouldn't the ability to run whatever you want be a good selling point?

Opening up a phone for modifications decreases security. Samsung phones (or at least the ones I've has the "pleasure" of dealing with actually have a nonresettable fuse that trips if you tamper with the phone, which provides samsung a very obvious way of voiding your warranty...

This is why I don't buy samsungs anymore. I like my freedom to use roms, but then there's the issue of finding one for my phone, the zenfone 3 zoom, which asus gladly provides a tool to unlock

8 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

What i hate about IOS is that they lock the downgrade option. And device will get slower the newer rom it gets, planned obsolescent.

At least samsung doesn't do this stuff.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

The answer is simple, if you want the best SoC, get the iPhone 8/X. 

A11 Bionic \o/

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

A11 Bionic \o/

I want a headphone jack, and a fast SoC, besides it will have 6GB of RAM and a better screen, not to mention Google Apps

1 hour ago, DanielMDA said:

ot to mention Google Apps

Since when did iOS not have Google Apps?

also more RAM only really matters if your system needs it. iOS doesn’t really need more than the 3GB it’s equipped with. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I reckon we will with custom roms. How fast? Who knows. Should probably ask on XDA. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

There will probably be some custom kernels released. Some of them bringing the clocks in line with what Samsung originally specified and some of them might go further.

You can pretty much guarantee it. There will be hype.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

What i hate about IOS is that they lock the downgrade option. And device will get slower the newer rom it gets, planned obsolescent.

At least samsung doesn't do this stuff.

Not exactly... the iPhone 4 was horribly slow with iOS 7, but going back now it still usable (the 512MB RAM is more what holds it back), the iPhone 4S is fine, and anything 5S or newer is perfectly usable. Planned obsolescence isn't really a thing as much as people think it is, it's usually hardware limitations at the time it was built. And Apple does support their devices with updates for a lot longer than many other OEMs. 

Locking the downgrade option is a valid point. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 hours ago, DanielMDA said:

So, in last week's WAN Show, Linus mentioned that Samsung was artificially nerfing the quite superior Galaxy S9 with the Exynos 9810 to match it to the US and China variant, which uses the Snapdragon 845.

Eh, if they're nerfing it it probably means it runs cooler than the Snapdragons. :v

On 13/03/2018 at 2:44 PM, DanielMDA said:

and it's the first Chip to provide competition against Apple Chips. 

*cough cough* kirin chips from hisilicon probably don't count even if always at the top when they launch*cough cough*

19 hours ago, The Viking said:

*cough cough* kirin chips from hisilicon probably don't count even if always at the top when they launch*cough cough*

Name a phone that have a Kirin chip that has been treated as a Flagship on every aspect. A phone with a Kirin must step up to the S9 and the Pixel to fight an iPhone

2 hours ago, DanielMDA said:

Name a phone that have a Kirin chip that has been treated as a Flagship on every aspect. A phone with a Kirin must step up to the S9 and the Pixel to fight an iPhone

.............. ALL the flagships of Huawei? P9, P10, Mate 10 Pro? And S9? Barely released today. I just pointed out, yes, there are chip manufacturers competing against Qualcomm/Apple/Exynoss. 

9 minutes ago, The Viking said:

.............. ALL the flagships of Huawei? P9, P10, Mate 10 Pro? And S9? Barely released today. I just pointed out, yes, there are chip manufacturers competing against Qualcomm/Apple/Exynoss. 

Wow, S9 with Kirin, where? (I want one)

21 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Wow, S9 with Kirin, where? (I want one)

No. Learn to read. I said, "ALL the flagships of Huawei? P9, P10, Mate 10 Pro?" I then pointed out, the S9 barely released today. It doesn't come with Kirin. Kirin is reserved to Huawei/Honor devices.

There, found some benchmarks for you: http://www.antutu.com/en/ranking/rank1.htm

Honor is a sub-brand from Huawei using Kirin chips. So, your dear Google Pixel is faaaar behind. 

On 3/15/2018 at 7:34 AM, The Viking said:

High end Kirin chips are usually good on the CPU side (just slap a bunch of the high end reference ARM cores together), but the GPUs has historically been quite mediocre.

For example the Kirin 970 has the same GPU architecture as the Galaxy S9 (Exynos 9810 model), but it only has 12 cores compared to the 18 in the Galaxy. That's 50% more cores for the Galaxy S9.

It used to be an even larger gap.

The Kirin 960 is the reason why I won't get the Huawei MediaPad M5.

Mali-G71 MP8? Are you kidding me? The Galaxy S8 had an Mali-G71 MP20.

The frequencies on the Kirin chips are higher, but I am fairly sure that comes with a big disadvantage in terms of power and heat output (although I don't have any statistics to back that up).

Also, the Mali GPUs are in general quite a bit behind Qualcomm and Imagination (RIP).

One of the best in terms of CPUs, but it's at best third place for GPUs.

39 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

High end Kirin chips are usually good on the CPU side (just slap a bunch of the high end reference ARM cores together), but the GPUs has historically been quite mediocre.

For example the Kirin 970 has the same GPU architecture as the Galaxy S9 (Exynos 9810 model), but it only has 12 cores compared to the 18 in the Galaxy. That's 50% more cores for the Galaxy S9.

It used to be an even larger gap.

The Kirin 960 is the reason why I won't get the Huawei MediaPad M5.

The frequencies on the Kirin chips are higher, but I am fairly sure that comes with a big disadvantage in terms of power and heat output (although I don't have any statistics to back that up).

Also, the Mali GPUs are in general quite a bit behind Qualcomm and Imagination (RIP).

One of the best in terms of CPUs, but it's at best third place for GPUs.

though OP talked about cores, not gpu. So sure. But my point still stands. There are other competitors out there for qualcomm and apple who, sure, are behind, but not by much, and are closing the gap slowly.

besides, for tablets, what else are you going to buy? tablets have become a niche market. There's just either really cheap ones that are trash or... oh right that's all. Plus apple ones that are a rip off. So what, Samsung or Huawei? Is that really all the choice left?

Spoiler

getting a m5 pro for sure though, the ability to use a pen like on the matebook is pretty cool

39 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Mali-G71 MP8? Are you kidding me? The Galaxy S8 had an Mali-G71 MP20.

explain why you talk of a tablet then compare to a phone. Otherwise I'll compare a...smartwatch to a smartphone. 

10 hours ago, The Viking said:

Reveal hidden contents

getting a m5 pro for sure though, the ability to use a pen like on the matebook is pretty cool

explain why you talk of a tablet then compare to a phone. Otherwise I'll compare a...smartwatch to a smartphone. 

I'm not? I'm talking about the SoCs. I just gave an example of a device with a Kirin I would like, except I feel like the SoC drags down the score. 

I don't think Kirin are competitive in the high end when you look at the complete package. They are competitive in some areas like the CPU, but not others (like the GPU). 

On 3/13/2018 at 12:04 PM, DrMacintosh said:

A11 Bionic \o/

Only if you can tolerate not being able to transfer files from your phone to your computer without iTunes, cloud, or WebDAV. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

22 minutes ago, wasab said:

Only if you can tolerate not being able to transfer files from your phone to your computer without iTunes, cloud, or WebDAV. 

Cough* AirDrop 

I have absolutely 0 files that belong on another computer other than my Mac and my PC for any reason.