Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

42 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

being the truck has a new frame... it's probably worth fixing  with new metal if I'm honest as much work as it would be...

that's the issue. the truck is work $3000, but it's got a $15,000 frame in it. I have about another $3000 in parts and upgrades that I want to do to it. that puts me about $5500 into this one, which is only a bit more than what a good clean stock example goes for.

I can also buy a good condition cab from a scrapyard for about $500. it would be a crazy amount of work to swap cabs, but it's technically doable.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

can we stop quoting vertical images thanks

also turns out that the car that's supposed to be mine isn't far from death

10/10 looks like I'm not even going to drive that car and I'm gonna buy the first car I drive

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

What's your favorite cheap/easy mod that you have done to your car? Mods that you still enjoy and weren't just cool for a few weeks/a waste of money. $200 or less, and 1 hour or less of installation time.

Mine is probably a cross up of:

• Interior LED upgrade. Makes the interior of my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee feel like it is a 2016 model. Picked up a kit from precision LED that replaced all 4 of my dome lights, 2 floor illumination lights, visor lights, trunk/hatch light and licence plate lights for $70.
  • Premium hard rubber floor mats. Seriously. This might not apply to everyone, but we average between 300-400 inches of snow each winter where I live, and thanks to all that snow they salt the roads religiously here. It's nice not having my carpets be pure white from salt and just being able to dump melted snow and wash the floor mats off with a hose at the car wash. Got these for free as a hand-me-down but they run about $100 from weathertech

~Air Cooling Advocate~

My door striker and door check covers, super simple, super cheap, super easy and really dresses up the car and makes it look less like budget shit.

6 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

can we stop quoting vertical images thanks

also turns out that the car that's supposed to be mine isn't far from death

10/10 looks like I'm not even going to drive that car and I'm gonna buy the first car I drive

What’s the car? 

2 hours ago, Votivee said:

What's your favorite cheap/easy mod that you have done to your car? Mods that you still enjoy and weren't just cool for a few weeks/a waste of money. $200 or less, and 1 hour or less of installation time.

Mine is probably a cross up of:

• Interior LED upgrade. Makes the interior of my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee feel like it is a 2016 model. Picked up a kit from precision LED that replaced all 4 of my dome lights, 2 floor illumination lights, visor lights, trunk/hatch light and licence plate lights for $70.
  • Premium hard rubber floor mats. Seriously. This might not apply to everyone, but we average between 300-400 inches of snow each winter where I live, and thanks to all that snow they salt the roads religiously here. It's nice not having my carpets be pure white from salt and just being able to dump melted snow and wash the floor mats off with a hose at the car wash. Got these for free as a hand-me-down but they run about $100 from weathertech

Hands down a new head unit. Just because all the cars ive owned I couldn’t connect my phone over usb. I don’t really own my LC so it doesn’t count, would have to have an integrator.

Just now, handymanshandle said:

1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

Well it was probably dead when it was made then :(

2 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

nah my car isn't british or mexican

wait wait wait .... whats wrong with british cars? ?

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

nah my car isn't british or mexican

It’s worse: American 

2 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Nothing

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

3 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Depending on the era...what ISN'T wrong with British cars :D 

My favorite low cost mod to a car I buy is jacking it up and actually cleaning the underside/arches. The chunks of dirt that come out, especially from inside the lips of the arches...you just know you added a year or so to the cars lifespan ?

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

11 hours ago, floofer said:

Hands down a new head unit. Just because all the cars ive owned I couldn’t connect my phone over usb. I don’t really own my LC so it doesn’t count, would have to have an integrator.

Definitely ups the enjoyment of driving. It's nice not having to search for stations over and over again while going on longer trips. I got a new one installed in my Jeep that supports carplay/android auto but it for sure did not fit into the confinements of "cheap and easy" 

~Air Cooling Advocate~

1 hour ago, handymanshandle said:

the fact that they cost more than a divorce while being ridiculously expensive to maintain

My dad used to do great deals on used leyland cars that he fixed with tin cans and cement.

1 hour ago, handymanshandle said:

the fact that they cost more than a divorce while being ridiculously expensive to maintain

All cars are expensive to maintain when they get to a certain age, your statement is complete nonsense. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

12 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

I haven’t done it yet- but on my 2007.5 tahoe you canget a kit for like $18 thats two t taps, and a diode that will make the low beams and fog lights stay on when you click the high beams on. Takes all of 7 min to install. Gonna do it this weekend or tomorrow after i’m done with college shit. Also need to hide the dash cam cable. Maybe some LED high beam bulbs? 

Theres not much I want to /do/ to it. When the cylinder deactivation gives out eventually I’m going to install a mild truck cam and tune it but thats really it honestly. When the air suspension eventually gives out i’m going to delete that and lift the front about an inch but- thats also it. It drives great. I do miss my S10 though. 

what'd ya do with the S10?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Everything Ive owned has been expensive to maintain and none of them have been british

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

On 3/28/2019 at 6:03 PM, bcredeur97 said:

Got this house reappraised. Mission very successful. I literally (more than) double my net worth if I sell this house tomorrow.

so buying a decent house at less than 2006 appraisal value is a VERY GOOD idea guys lol

just need to do this about 20 more times or until I hit $2 million then I can finally put a V8 in the Miata ?? @Real_PhillBert @warmmilk @FuzzyYellow @vinyldash303

Also you see kids? This is why you drive a cheap car (it’s still fun!) while young and a pile of savings so you can have more opportunities to do stuff like this earlier on

ugh I wish I could even dream of affording a house. The average sale price in my county is $1.5M...

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

23 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

ugh I wish I could even dream of affording a house. The average sale price in my county is $1.5M...

you almost like have to have have a deep 6 figure job there to be "normal". Lol. I would honestly consider moving... there are better opportunities elsewhere just because expenses are so much lower

unless you're content... that is a thing.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

you almost like have to have have a deep 6 figure job there to be "normal". Lol. I would honestly consider moving... there are better opportunities elsewhere just because expenses are so much lower

unless you're content... that is a thing.

I believe poverty line is something like $117K for a family of four :( I live at home currently, but I would like to move out soon.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

3 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

what cars are you thinking about when you are talking about "cost more than a divorce while being ridiculously expensive to maintain" ? 

any car can be expensive to maintain if you get unlucky and end up with a bad example ... 

for example american cars over here cost quite a bit more than equal-ish european or japanese cars ... expecially compared to the prices in usa 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO