Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

55 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Some electric brush motors do make noise at high revolutions. The original Tesla Roadster engine did over 10k RPM, ending up making that whine sound at higher speeds. Though, I've sat in one and the interior felt like it was designed for a midget.

Zero bikes also do this.

Electrical whine is one of the most obnoxious sounds to hear while driving.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

going to miss engine noises tho. le sigh

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Electrical whine is one of the most obnoxious sounds to hear while driving.

i kinda enjoy the whine of an electric motor tbh xD gas engines sound better, but im not going to miss the sound when i have SO MUCH TORQUE

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i kinda enjoy the whine of an electric motor tbh xD gas engines sound better, but im not going to miss the sound when i have SO MUCH TORQUE

Yeah until you get a headache from it.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Yeah until you get a headache from it.

true, doubt id be stepping on it so much i hear it long enough for that though. havent driven an EV much, but i do kinda enjoy the sound my RC cars make, which is best described as an angry vaccuum cleaner :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

43 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I like supercharger whine. But even that only when hard on the throttle and at high rpm.

I wouldn't be able to stand a constant whine on the highway. It'd get old quick.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Anyone else notice $20 is buying less and less now a days? You used to be able to get a meal for two, now it's hard to get that. 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

4 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

Anyone else notice $20 is buying less and less now a days? You used to be able to get a meal for two, now it's hard to get that. 

Restaurants are expensive now. Most of the time if I actually sit down and eat somewhere it's almost always over $10.

Inflation stinks...

I calculated the other day that when I'm 60 (40 years from now); a Quarter pounder from McDonalds will cost about $11. JUST for the sandwich. O_O

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

Restaurants are expensive now. Most of the time if I actually sit down and eat somewhere it's almost always over $10.

Inflation stinks...

I calculated the other day that when I'm 60 (40 years from now); a Quarter pounder from McDonalds will cost about $11. JUST for the sandwich. O_O

Is that at current rate of inflation or increasing curve?

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I can see the future. All the car guys will put 80+ Titanium stickers on their electric cars.

"How efficient is ur car, mane?"

"Mine? Oh, not bad. It's rated 80+ Unobtanium. Beat that sucker."

15 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

I'm happy with large bowl of pho and a bowl for my other person, and a side of spring rolls, a 20 can cover that. Can't say the same about other places, but Asian restaurants typically keep the prices somewhat low. The one exception I'll say is sushi though, but of course it isn't cheap to produce it in the first place tho.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Is that at current rate of inflation or increasing curve?

It was going off doubling prices of goods every 20 or 25 years I believe.  

Spoiler

On 6/3/2018 at 1:23 PM, MadyTehWolfie said:

Believe the water pumps are a weak point for those motors. Never heard of one lasting with 400whp on stock internals though.

Edit: Aside from that, not sure the K04 is even capable of hitting 400 to wheels anyway. Think you'd need a bigger turbo for that. Believe Garret makes a turbo called the GTX something that's capable. Mazda speed3's to my knowledge aren't direct injected (might be wrong don't kill me over that). Bit more displacement then the tsfi in my car but with a K04 no one hit 400whp and to my knowledge direct injection is more efficient at making power. That being said people have gotten damn close to 400whp with a K04.

You would. GT28 would hit 400WHP but at that point you might as well rebuild it just for safety. On the K04 you can make around 350WHP, assuming you upgrade the intercooler, HPFP, intake, downpipe, catback, and possibly do water methanol injection.

And they are direct injected. LPFP puts out around 65 PSI, HPFP puts out around 7500 PSI. It is recommended that upgrading the HPFP is the first mod to any MZR DISI engine.

On 6/4/2018 at 3:25 PM, Not_Sean said:

The torque isn't that much of an issue as its still a 4pot, the place to worry about on those is the boxes and if you F with the software that limits boost in first and low bits of 2nd. Remove that and you'll have trouble. 

We have two that run close to that here on stock internals that race in SuperLap with me, so yeah more than possible.

But No a K04 isn't able to get to 400bhp never mind whp. I'm also running a K04 on my ST with a 2.5L Straight 5 and the best we get out of the K04 is 360-380bhp and that one is a 7 blade hybrid K04, we generally make more power then the other hot hatches with same mods cause we got that extra piston with an extra 500cc and we have to go to the K16 for a bolt in upgrade. 

Low end torque is an issue on these motors. Too much low end torque and you'll snap rods and send them through the block. That is why the ignition timing is set a couple degrees after TDC for the first couple thousand RPM, then up to 12 degrees BTDC once you get way into the powerband. It's a safety feature in the ignition tables to prevent too much power down low, also boost cuts happen at low RPM to prevent this issue as well.

Disabling the first and second gear torque limiting (which just turns off the steering angle sensor input) does not affect the overall power, just removes the power limit from first and second. Nothing to be worried about (besides torque steer but it's so fun lol). The boxes are very strong, Mazda wouldn't have made the torque limits of the box so close to the power output of the engine. It does put excessive shock on the drivetrain though, and outputting more power can lead to a snapped CV axle, seen it before.

I'm selling my Miata this weekend hopefully (if I actually have the weekend off ffs). From there I'm gonna put that money into my Mazdaspeed, first with a HPFP upgrade and intake, possibly an intercooler upgrade to make the car Stage 3. New Hawk pads, Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors, and Continental ExtremeContacts and then the rest I'm going to dump into the car note so I can pay this car off, sooner the better.

28 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Low end torque is an issue on these motors. Too much low end torque and you'll snap rods and send them through the block. That is why the ignition timing is set a couple degrees after TDC for the first couple thousand RPM, then up to 12 degrees BTDC once you get way into the powerband. It's a safety feature in the ignition tables to prevent too much power down low, also boost cuts happen at low RPM to prevent this issue as well.

Disabling the first and second gear torque limiting (which just turns off the steering angle sensor input) does not affect the overall power, just removes the power limit from first and second. Nothing to be worried about (besides torque steer but it's so fun lol). The boxes are very strong, Mazda wouldn't have made the torque limits of the box so close to the power output of the engine. It does put excessive shock on the drivetrain though, and outputting more power can lead to a snapped CV axle, seen it before.

didn't know on the 3MPS its just steering angle sensor, on the ST our limiter in 1st and second is controlled by both timing and boost the steering only affects out Traction control but when when thats off out boost and timing is reduced., But guess we are also 5 Cylinders so making a very large torque difference and way earlier as well. 

25 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I'm selling my Miata this weekend hopefully (if I actually have the weekend off ffs). From there I'm gonna put that money into my Mazdaspeed, first with a HPFP upgrade and intake, possibly an intercooler upgrade to make the car Stage 3. New Hawk pads, Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors, and Continental ExtremeContacts and then the rest I'm going to dump into the car note so I can pay this car off, sooner the better.

Nice man, Which one you looking at getting? So its already got a turbo back exhaust? 

Check out the Pagid and dba Brake stuff, both the time Attack 3MPS (one first gen on the newer shape) both run them and swear by them, I'm also looking at them since I run the exact same brakes as the MPS.  

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

4 hours ago, terrytek said:

"How efficient is ur car, mane?"

"Mine? Oh, not bad. It's rated 80+ Unobtanium. Beat that sucker."

I'm happy with large bowl of pho and a bowl for my other person, and a side of spring rolls, a 20 can cover that. Can't say the same about other places, but Asian restaurants typically keep the prices somewhat low. The one exception I'll say is sushi though, but of course it isn't cheap to produce it in the first place tho.

I was at five guys today, just spent $13.50. for one person

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

1 hour ago, arnavvr said:

Five guys is expensive compared to other restaurants. It is pretty good (in my opinion) though. I like it every now and then. 

I mainly go to local places here though. Louisiana has sooo much good food that most of the time the chains aren’t worth it

Spoiler

2 hours ago, arnavvr said:

*laughs in in-n-out*

i could get a double double and fries for half the price of that.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Five guys is expensive compared to other restaurants. It is pretty good (in my opinion) though. I like it every now and then. 

I mainly go to local places here though. Louisiana has sooo much good food that most of the time the chains aren’t worth it

Louisiana has great food. Too bad you will get a heart attack if you eat it often enough :(

New wheels for the wrxIMG_20180605_205234.thumb.jpg.088a7e63ed466190d15804f2763ad0ad.jpg

IMG_20180605_205248.thumb.jpg.6d0a2abbe95411a84716740783c0af79.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

25 minutes ago, terrytek said:

*laughs in in-n-out*

i could get a double double and fries for half the price of that.

Whataburger master race.

Welp I'm bummed out. Realize how real object impermenance is, is seriously a bummer when you want your car to last a long time with perfect paint. ??????

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

i like cars but im not a big expert espicially old one. 

can someone tell me if they know what other low pickups exist. i mean something like an old f100 where its a pickup but the bed is not so high you have to climb on it but rather low enough where you could easily put stuff in from the side even.

Bildergebnis für f100 lowered

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

2 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

i like cars but im not a big expert espicially old one. 

can someone tell me if they know what other low pickups exist. i mean something like an old f100 where its a pickup but the bed is not so high you have to climb on it but rather low enough where you could easily put stuff in from the side even.

All of them before 2005?

6 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

All of them before 2005?

So sad, so true.

Spoiler