Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

:( third-party insurance is a legal requirement here. Hopefully they change the law soon, but maybe just because there are so many people in the US it will be hard. Sucks!

Oh no it is the law here. There’s penalties.

but with no good public transport and  walking distances too far, and Uber/taxi services too expensive, 

people have to get wherever they need to be somehow.... so they just take the risk because they have no choice. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

So, my dad needed a regular wheel (spare was too thin or wtv for what he wanted) so he "traded" (idk) the spare for this wheel (also 16").

IMG_20180217_145543.thumb.jpg.963eb1d4662f8a5646a9ac3e46fcbecd.jpg

My dad said it was from a 7 series. But I looked it up and it's actually a Style 33 from an E39. I gotta say, it looks pretty good on the E60. And look at that meaty sidewall. My dad also said he could actually get some new wheels for the E60, I wouldn't mind swapping the Style 134 shopping cart looking wheels for those Style 33. And they are pretty cheap too. Someone's selling 4 of them for like 80€ (one of them is thrashed but that doesn't matter since we already have one).

Yes, we lose a bit of trunk space because this one is much wider than the spare, but if anything happens, we have a full wheel as a spare and can still go at regular speeds instead of being limited to 80kph.

Careful with those as the E39 has a unique spigot size it's bigger than all thye other bms including the E60, you'll need a spogot ring as well but they are cheap as on egay. 

Pete

4 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

British insurance for young drivers in a nutshell.

A 110hp MX5 is as much to insure as a 200hp Civic Type R o.O

Maybe I'll save for the civic instead 

Well probably because insurance companies probably see a convertible coupe like that a dangerous car compared to a bigger car with a solid roof.

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Looking at new tires and rims. 

Considering these, but at $288 each it's a tough pill to swallow. They do look really good on almost any color, including blue and are 7lbs lighter than stock.

112930d1444072943-tsw-bathurst-18x-8-5-question-20151003_091414.jpg

What rims are those? I think those are fifteen52s of some sort, they seem familiar. If i had my way though, tarmacs would look killer on there.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

A surprising number of people drive uninsured in my state. 

Or some people are just poor enough that it’s better to them to just risk the chance they can get away so they don’t have to pay a higher premium later for the incident. 

Part of the reason insurance is so high in Louisiana I guess. That said I’m sure it’s not as bad where @Real_PhillBert is. But it is still a thing I guess, and you get unlucky sometimes.

the ironic thing is the people who can’t afford to drive always seem to be the ones that crash into other people lol

Kind of a lsoe lose situation here. Insurance is too high, people go without it, but more people go without it bc can't afford it, crash, premiums go up, that is gonna be never ending lol. They need to find a solution to all those people, probably just revoke those licenses to bad drivers.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

6 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Yesterday had a down side, some fuckhead ran into the focus in a parking lot. I'm more than a little pissed off about it.

No note or anything. There are cameras in the lot from the business across the parking lot, so I'm hoping they picked it up. They arent open again until monday, so I'll call them then.

I'm always worried by that because I always park at the back of lots and people just looove cutting through the spaces where I am. So many times they're only a few inches away from my bumpers.

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

the ironic thing is the people who can’t afford to drive always seem to be the ones that crash into other people lol

I find the most amusing thing is damage on vehicles that correlates with the dumb actions I see a driver doing. For example, there's a lot of vehicles here where the driver's front fender is smashed in. Almost always these are the idiots you see trying to jump in to traffic.

2 hours ago, terrytek said:

What rims are those? I think those are fifteen52s of some sort, they seem familiar. If i had my way though, tarmacs would look killer on there.

had them linked in the post, TSW Bathurst Wheel 18"X8". I found others that I liked that were $100 cheaper, might go with those cause that's $400 I save.

Tom Tom Vierling's portrait.

Also got the nod from @Not_Sean for Michelin Pilot Super Sports as a replacement to the factory Goodyear Eagle F1's

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

had them linked in the post, TSW Bathurst Wheel 18"X8". I found others that I liked that were $100 cheaper, might go with those cause that's $400 I save.

Also got the nod from @Not_Sean for Michelin Pilot Super Sports as a replacement to the factory Goodyear Eagle F1's

Those are so cheap. Need to marry an American to get cheap wheels 

So I finally did it....

Not shown is I got Xpel headlight covers!!! (Clear) They are VERY high quality and look like they will be awesome. 

Should keep them from yellowing ever again. They are quite thick (you need a good hair dryer or heat gun to put them on) and I believe they will last a long time. 

The xpel kit also came with ones for the fog lights. Didn’t put them on because I didn’t realize and I didn’t refinish the fogs too lol. Even though they aren’t bad I rather get them perfect beforehand

D1A2A64F-8DB2-4403-8425-235F6EED090F.jpeg

BD303590-11EA-408D-B3AB-CF3624181773.jpeg

9C67454E-4030-4353-8562-19F8365BA1DE.jpeg

D8A595A4-4CCD-4393-B01B-DBCD0376B726.jpeg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Been reading and reading.

late 80's early 90's

Jeep Cherokee with its solid front axle, parts available anywhere for cheap.

Toyota 4Runner has IFS, gotta hunt for parts and they arent cheap.

Chevrolet Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick is about 600 lbs lighter then the XJ, 1.6L 4cyl engine is great on gas, and I have seen people wheel them offroad.

XJ is  3057-3386lbs 4 door 4wd Inline 6

Tracker is 2750lbs 1.6L 4cyl

Toyota, has a V6 or 4cyl 3500-3700lbs

Still gotta hit up the junk yard and see for myself how many 4runners there are there, but from memory there aint a lot. But what I am concerned about is the interior space. I need something that I can lay in and spread out nicely. The XJ from memory is slightly small. Maybe the 4runner has that extra few inches I require. I could always weld up my own tailgate for a few extra inches.

My revelation was this. Fuel Milage is important is this day in age, TRUE!

But we still need power to pass someone on the single lane highway, and still have power to get out of mud holes while wheeling.

So need great fuel milage in the city, but out wheeling need power.

Solution: Hybrid Electric - Nothing fancy at all, no heavy modifications. Just a couple fork lift motors attached to a custom machined rear axle yoke, then the corresponding controllers which should be a breeze to install and the batteries. I am hoping its an easy 48V setup but I will have to triple check that right now in the electric forums. I've had this idea of electric motor on the yoke for a few years now. When wheeling I'd need to seal the electric motor up real tight, if not take it off completely.

You tell me, by looking at these 2 pictures which one has more space with the back seat folded down and the front seats pushed all the way forward.

2nd Gen Picture Thread - Page 3 - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum | Toyota ...
1989 Jeep Cherokee - Specifications - CarGurus

I would say the 4runner has slightly more room.

6 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I couldve sworn that was a fifteen52 design, i thought i've seen that on a ken block car before. and thoe sparcos are actually mad cheap, but they'd look so out of place if i bought them for an ls400.

2 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Been reading and reading.

late 80's early 90's

Jeep Cherokee with its solid front axle, parts available anywhere for cheap.

Toyota 4Runner has IFS, gotta hunt for parts and they arent cheap.

Chevrolet Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick is about 600 lbs lighter then the XJ, 1.6L 4cyl engine is great on gas, and I have seen people wheel them offroad.

XJ is  3057-3386lbs 4 door 4wd Inline 6

Tracker is 2750lbs 1.6L 4cyl

Toyota, has a V6 or 4cyl 3500-3700lbs

Still gotta hit up the junk yard and see for myself how many 4runners there are there, but from memory there aint a lot. But what I am concerned about is the interior space. I need something that I can lay in and spread out nicely. The XJ from memory is slightly small. Maybe the 4runner has that extra few inches I require. I could always weld up my own tailgate for a few extra inches.

My revelation was this. Fuel Milage is important is this day in age, TRUE!

But we still need power to pass someone on the single lane highway, and still have power to get out of mud holes while wheeling.

So need great fuel milage in the city, but out wheeling need power.

Solution: Hybrid Electric - Nothing fancy at all, no heavy modifications. Just a couple fork lift motors attached to a custom machined rear axle yoke, then the corresponding controllers which should be a breeze to install and the batteries. I am hoping its an easy 48V setup but I will have to triple check that right now in the electric forums. I've had this idea of electric motor on the yoke for a few years now. When wheeling I'd need to seal the electric motor up real tight, if not take it off completely.

You tell me, by looking at these 2 pictures which one has more space with the back seat folded down and the front seats pushed all the way forward.

2nd Gen Picture Thread - Page 3 - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum | Toyota ...
1989 Jeep Cherokee - Specifications - CarGurus

I would say the 4runner has slightly more room.

4runner all the way. and make sure you get them in 4x4, don't wanna get snubbed with a RWD one.

1 hour ago, ACM said:

Got the 1UZFE for the Datsun today.

IMG_20180218_164848.jpg

IMG_20180218_164907.jpg

Why not get a 98+ LS400 VVTi motor? those were tuned for nearly 300hp stock. But might seem irrelevant if you planned on a twin turbo anyway.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

20 minutes ago, terrytek said:

I couldve sworn that was a fifteen52 design, i thought i've seen that on a ken block car before. and thoe sparcos are actually mad cheap, but they'd look so out of place if i bought them for an ls400.

4runner all the way. and make sure you get them in 4x4, don't wanna get snubbed with a RWD one.

Why not get a 98+ LS400 VVTi motor? those were tuned for nearly 300hp stock. But might seem irrelevant if you planned on a twin turbo anyway.

VVTI have weaker rods.

89-94 have beefier rods.

IMG_0070.JPG

On 2/18/2018 at 5:22 PM, RorzNZ said:

They are like 3k here :)

I'd still go for a Hilux over a jeep tbh. Things go for ages.

My dad just got a 2013 Hilux SR5. Thing rides like shit but yeah, a hilux is a better idea than a jeep. They are however completely different vehicles.

23 minutes ago, kittycannon said:

My dad just got a 2013 Hilux SR5. Thing rides like shit but yeah, a hilux is a better idea than a jeep. They are however completely different vehicles.

True I guess. Its not really made to ride well tho tbh, I'd buy a LC for that. Some people also prefer the Ford Ranger to it as well, its a big bigger too.

24 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

True I guess. Its not really made to ride well tho tbh, I'd buy a LC for that. Some people also prefer the Ford Ranger to it as well, its a big bigger too.

All the upper spec utes these days are glorified SUVs as far as I can tell. Apart from the ride quality.

1 minute ago, kittycannon said:

All the upper spec utes these days are glorified SUVs as far as I can tell. Apart from the ride quality.

Probably should be better for 4x4 and more lifted. I wouldn't bother with a ute if it was as high as a SUV like the harrier or RAV4. Then again i'm a big fan of Holden Commadore utes. Yeah I don't really like the newer SUV trend, just big station wagons. Good for the family I guess but its like they pretend to be something their not. OMG that reminds me of the nissan juke >:(

10 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Probably should be better for 4x4 and more lifted. I wouldn't bother with a ute if it was as high as a SUV like the harrier or RAV4. Then again i'm a big fan of Holden Commadore utes. Yeah I don't really like the newer SUV trend, just big station wagons. Good for the family I guess but its like they pretend to be something their not. OMG that reminds me of the nissan juke >:(

Commodore utes

Station wagons

075.jpg.7db4f8526fcbcf3ef206aba23f00c70c.jpg

17 minutes ago, kittycannon said:

Commodore utes

Station wagons

<snap>

Commodore utes are the future. Take a good practical car, put road tyres and lower it, then chuck a V8 in. Definitely my next car - might be selling my 407 for like 5k or so this year. Not so into fuel economy because i'm only here for 3 months on holiday.

Might also go for a ford XR6 but I like the look of the holdens a bit more. Might need some advice on the whole ford vs holden debate :S

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Commodore utes are the future. Take a good practical car, put road tyres and lower it, then chuck a V8 in. Definitely my next car - might be selling my 407 for like 5k or so this year. Not so into fuel economy because i'm only here for 3 months on holiday.

Might also go for a ford XR6 but I like the look of the holdens a bit more. Might need some advice on the whole ford vs holden debate :S

Choices choices...

I will be taking up a project in the future, to add a t3/t4 turbocharger to my 92 Toyota Paseo's 5efe engine. I know that I will most likely need 4efte pistons in order to lower compression, and a turbo manifold. The problem is, there aren't any OEM 5efe turbo manifolds, and the ones I can find are either for the 4 series engines or advertised as "rare" and the sellers are asking for over 300 dollars. Do you guys know where I might be able to find one, or will I have to try and make my own?

Oh yeah, the 4efte turbo manifold wouldn't happen to also fit the 5efe, would it?

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Anyone have recommendations on dash cams? 

I'm considering this one but dont know a lot about dash cams. 

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Dashboard-Recorder-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B071LPV7G6

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

10 hours ago, ACM said:

VVTI have weaker rods.

89-94 have beefier rods.

IMG_0070.JPG

I didn't know the VVTi rods were weaker than the non VVTi ones. I wouldve thought they were stronger since they have to cope with a bit more power than the original. Why not get a VVTi motor and run it like that and when you plan on turbocharging it, you can swap in the originals? or hell even go with the forged h beam in the pic?

4 hours ago, thegreengamers said:

I will be taking up a project in the future, to add a t3/t4 turbocharger to my 92 Toyota Paseo's 5efe engine. I know that I will most likely need 4efte pistons in order to lower compression, and a turbo manifold. The problem is, there aren't any OEM 5efe turbo manifolds, and the ones I can find are either for the 4 series engines or advertised as "rare" and the sellers are asking for over 300 dollars. Do you guys know where I might be able to find one, or will I have to try and make my own?

Oh yeah, the 4efte turbo manifold wouldn't happen to also fit the 5efe, would it?

You might need to whip up your own header since the 5efe was never meant for a turbo in the first place. the manifold might be able to fit, bc i looked online and it seems like the only difference b/w the two is different displacement, but take that with a load of salt.

Headlights and covers came out pretty good. Still some moisture spots under the covers but they say they’ll go away within 2 weeks. 

Can’t wait to try the headlights at night

Xenons are getting tempting. Since it has factory projectors lol. I guess someone at mazda planned on putting factory xenons in the NB2’s but the plan was scrapped?

66CF0312-5CD1-4CA2-820B-9B813925F2FB.jpeg

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Anyone have recommendations on dash cams? 

I'm considering this one but dont know a lot about dash cams. 

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Dashboard-Recorder-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B071LPV7G6

This is personally the one I have

https://www.amazon.com/BlackSys-CH-100B-Dashboard-Recorder-G-Sensor/dp/B015QIU226/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519056808&sr=1-3&keywords=blacksys

It allows you to control the device through your smartphone, but the app isnt the best. I've seen this one suggested:

https://www.amazon.com/Z-EDGE-S3-Dual-Dash-Cam/dp/B06WGR8XWR/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

1440p front and 1080p rear is pretty good actually 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

10 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

This is personally the one I have

https://www.amazon.com/BlackSys-CH-100B-Dashboard-Recorder-G-Sensor/dp/B015QIU226/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519056808&sr=1-3&keywords=blacksys

It allows oyu to control the device through your smartphone, but the app isnt the best. I've seen this one suggested:

https://www.amazon.com/Z-EDGE-S3-Dual-Dash-Cam/dp/B06WGR8XWR/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

1440p front and 1080p rear is pretty good actually 

Ooo! I like that Z-Edge one. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro