Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 minutes ago, Wedsea040 said:

You understand that the "Volkswagen Lineup" is still very high performance and high quality, right? Or are you joking?

he is giving the 718 a hard time because it has a vw beetle engine in it.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

25 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

This is excellent news!

I think mid range supercars should stay naturally aspirated. but for the $800k and on, i do not see an issue with turbos.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

1 minute ago, Maybach123 said:

I think mid range supercars should stay naturally aspirated. but for the $800k and on, i do not see an issue with turbos.

I'm not anti-turbo by any means, I am just in favor of small and light. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

So I was driving a van today with broken electric window. The switch had given up the ghost from use.

Because my job requires me to drive with the window open I had to come up with a solution. I came up with two. The hard way and the easy way.

Guess in which order.

First I ripped the switch off and apart, took a bit of wire and bridged two pins in the window switch connector. And so by the power of pixies the window opened.

And after about 10 mins later I realised that you can operate the windows on volkswagens with the key remote...

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

1 minute ago, Wedsea040 said:

Does turbo really add that much weight or are you saying that you are fine with turbos as long as the rest of the car is light?

Yes to the bolded. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

The turbo itself isn't going to be too heavy, but you've got a reworked exhaust, all the plumbing, the intercooler, a little bit more oil and respective lines, etc. But I think he's going for the whole car being light.

Communication is not my strong suit. :P

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

You're not my supervisor!

Ha! I actually used that meme in an email to another engineer on Tuesday! Sadly he does not watch Archer so he didnt get it. :(

11 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Ha! I actually used that meme in an email to another engineer on Tuesday! Sadly he does not watch Archer so he didnt get it. :(

I love that show so much 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

2 hours ago, FuzzyYellow said:

That thing is sharp! I wish I could keep the Accord looking that good. 

Yeah, especially considering it hasn't been washed in 3 weeks lol. Living in the city is nice, it kind of stays clean. 

2 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

It looks like a yamaka. Prolly very effective at keeping things in good condition. And keeping interior temps down

Yeah im sure it is! Can't wait to see how much cooler it is inside when I go in it in a while.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

18 minutes ago, Wedsea040 said:

I've always wondered this, who has the most expensive/nicest car on the forums?

Well there is one viper that i know of. Other than that i can't think of anything at the moment.

The guy hasn't been around much lately though. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

there was a guy with a lambo a while back who came around. He i think he's gone now though.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, Wedsea040 said:

What year, if you remember?

2015/2016 i think. It was a really nice shade of black

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 minute ago, techswede said:

2015/2016 i think. It was a really nice shade of black

if @Maybach123 's dad makes a single post he'd be our guy :P

Spoiler

This is what i wanted "Project Jagdpanzer" to do when it was done

Still might get a 190 to cut up later on and actually get that done

Just now, Wedsea040 said:

What does he drive

he has a huge collection of classics and a few modern cars. The only modern one I remember is a McLaren 650S but I'm sure has more. Lots of Porsche's as well. 

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, Wedsea040 said:

I've always wondered this, who has the most expensive/nicest car on the forums?

I knew a guy that owned a Z06, an Alfa 4C and had ordered an Evora 400... IIRC

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

@techswede What do you drive, I have an idea but I really don't know.

This V6 camaro is my daily driver 

nAUTGoE.jpg

And on occasion i drive the golf behind it

7 minutes ago, Wedsea040 said:

That's the opposite of what I thought you drove :P

I expected it to be Japanese, like an MR2 or an RX-7 or 8 or something similar

Haha

Wouldn't mind an MR2. Not a huge fan of the wankel. 

Is there really a noticeable difference between a wankel and a piston? Like other than the design what's the difference?

rotary is like a baby, needs to be looked after way more than a normal engine, no torque and drinks oil

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Is there really a noticeable difference between a wankel and a piston? Like other than the design what's the difference?

Poor low end torque. And more of a faff to deal with. They drink a lot of oil as well as gas.

Personally i'm more into low end grunt in a car. 

@bcredeur97@Real_PhillBert@vinyldash303

What do you guys drive? I am just trying to gauge what kind of cars are popular here

My daily is a 2016 Ford Focus ST:

20160911_130855_1.jpg

I also have a 1998 Mustang GT Track Pack with basically full bolt-ons plus a set of cams that makes 314 RWHP, as my summer weekend fun car. This will likely get replaced with a new Mustang GT Performance Pack in a couple of years.

17 hours ago, Maybach123 said:

the new amg gt roadster. Not really impressed 

qlmaqjzf0om7ycetnrbu.jpg

am I the only one that thinks it looks like a vacuum cleaner?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

1 minute ago, warmmilk said:

am I the only one that thinks it looks like a vacuum cleaner?

I didnt, until you said that... Haha