Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I hope me and my Heavy long ass RWD e38 survive winter :(

59 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

So the Saab actually calls for 90 Octane. Around here we have 87, 89, and either 91 or 93 depending on the station. So should I go for 89 and call it a day or spring for the extra bit of Octane? 

you'll probably be running 93 after the tune. i'd check to see which the car likes better.

fun fact: my accord will tune itself to give an extra 5hp if run on 91/93 octane. i'm too cheap to pay the $.40/ga. though. :/

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

58 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

So the Saab actually calls for 90 Octane. Around here we have 87, 89, and either 91 or 93 depending on the station. So should I go for 89 and call it a day or spring for the extra bit of Octane? 

Is that 90 already converted to the octane rating you use in the US?  Or the other kind. 

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

1 minute ago, RatedBlam said:

Is that 90 already converted to the octane rating you use in the US?  Or the other kind. 

good point. I forgot there was a difference.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

47 minutes ago, RatedBlam said:

the 90 has to be the octane scale used in US ... cause here in Latvia the lowest octane number is 95

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

More people need this.

GPscFI7.jpg

I sometimes take the outside lane when taking a right turn when I know I have right of way and the speed I'm going can't be done with the inside lane. Otherwise, you're right. This is how it should be done.

4 minutes ago, Arri said:

I sometimes take the outside lane when taking a right turn when I know I have right of way and the speed I'm going can't be done with the inside lane. Otherwise, you're right. This is how it should be done.

You should never be going fast enough you can't make it in to the right lane while making a turn..?

2 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

mix 91 and 89. problem solved.

Honestly id put 91, the old car method of "just pull timing to compensate" is very unreliable IMO and requires the engine to knock before it does anything, best avoid it all-together! 

Plus what if you get a bad batch of gas? if the 91 you happen to put in happens to be 89 then that's waaaay better than if the 89 you put in happened to actually be 87...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

26 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You should never be going fast enough you can't make it in to the right lane while making a turn..?

there is a couple of very strange intersections in my town where you are forced to at least put a wheel into the other lane to make the turn. annoying and bad design. 

Not a big deal though if you know where they are, just make sure both lanes are clear before you go

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

46 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

the 90 has to be the octane scale used in US ... cause here in Latvia the lowest octane number is 95

yeah RON vs AKI(aka R+M/2)

here in the US we use AKI. 

for example:
95 RON is 91 AKI

96 RON is 92 AKI

98 RON is 94 AKI

so you guys get 91 AKI octane as "low grade". for some US states(california) that's the highest grade you can get lol. Here in Louisiana you can get 97RON/93AKI everywhere for the most part (and that's the highest you can get afaik)

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

yeah RON vs AKI(aka R+M/2)

here in the US we use AKI. 

for example:
95 RON is 91 AKI

96 RON is 92 AKI

98 RON is 94 AKI

so you guys get 91 AKI octane as "low grade". for some US states(california) that's the highest grade you can get lol. Here in Louisiana you can get 97RON/93AKI everywhere for the most part (and that's the highest you can get afaik)

canlifornia doesn't have anything higher than 91 AKI octane because of fuking emissions lmao. i hate california's emission standards.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

5 minutes ago, terrytek said:

canlifornia doesn't have anything higher than 91 AKI octane because of fuking emissions lmao. i hate california's emission standards.

Higher octane = worse emissions? 

Didnt know that...

you can get E85 in Cali though so that kind of makes up for it... (E85 is typically between 100-105 AKI Octane (105-111 RON)). Unfortunately E85 burns 30% quicker than normal gasoline so it's kind of annoying, also not to mention most cars aren't tuned for it by default so it's expensive to convert and get it and really make use of it.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

Higher octane = worse emissions? 

Didnt know that...

you can get E85 in Cali though so that kind of makes up for it... (E85 is typically between 100-105 AKI Octane (105-111 RON)). Unfortunately E85 burns 30% quicker than normal gasoline so it's kind of annoying, also not to mention most cars aren't tuned for it by default so it's expensive to convert and get it and really make use of it.

Did someone say E85

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

More people need this.

GPscFI7.jpg

A thousand times yes!

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Not everyone has to slow down to 6mph to take a turn. Would you deem it dangerous for going the same speed when making a left turn? 

22 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Did someone say E85

-snip-

Guise the Miata is getting a turbo and E85 tomorrow 

i wish... Lol

we actually are about to get a couple of Sunoco stations in town with E85 at the pump. Gonna be nice for that day far in the distance when I can actually use it xD

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Guise the Miata is getting a turbo and E85 tomorrow 

i wish... Lol

we actually are about to get a couple of Sunoco stations in town with E85 at the pump. Gonna be nice for that day far in the distance when I can actually use it xD

Nice! E85 is a great option for easy power provided you make the necessary supporting mods. And, you have a decent supply chain around you lol. The nearest E85 station to me that I know of is an hour away, which is the same distance to the nearest track but in the opposite direction. I'm better off tuning for 94 octane, or whatever VP Race Fuels can offer.

E85 on a lightly modified FA20 is good for 40-80hp alone. The effective "boost" is less noticeable on naturally aspirated engines though.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

31 minutes ago, Arri said:

Not everyone has to slow down to 6mph to take a turn. Would you deem it dangerous for going the same speed when making a left turn? 

You don't need to do 6mph to make a sharp right.

6 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You don't need to do 6mph to make a sharp right.

Which is my point... by decreasing the turning radius, you can travel at a higher speed. 

I have Monday off but when I go to work on Tuesday, I'll report the maximum speed that can be taken (before understeer forces me to cross over the white line). You'll understand that it's perfectly safe, just as taking a left turn. Maybe I'm different but I don't use the same speed on a hard right than I do on a sweeping left.

Turns out trees and rally cars don't mix.

DSC09391.jpgDSC09424.jpg

@MEC-777

Both drivers side impacts. The Quebec Subaru would later end up retiring from the rally.

Folding@Home | BOINC

56 minutes ago, Arri said:

Which is my point... by decreasing the turning radius, you can travel at a higher speed. 

I have Monday off but when I go to work on Tuesday, I'll report the maximum speed that can be taken (before understeer forces me to cross over the white line). You'll understand that it's perfectly safe, just as taking a left turn. Maybe I'm different but I don't use the same speed on a hard right than I do on a sweeping left.

I have absolutely no idea what you're saying.

25 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

He's saying torque steer makes it more challenging to turn sharply one way vs the other

i think

I think you'll just end up confusing me more if I try to apply that to their statements.

52 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I have absolutely no idea what you're saying.

he is saying: moar speed = less turn because moar speed + moar turn = no turn.

torque steer occurs in an fwd (or sometimes an awd) vehicle this is when the wheels that steer the car spin at the same speed and dont allow the car to turn as sharply. (this only applies to wehicles where the steering wheels are powered, in an rwd vehicle this wont happen)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

2 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Nice! E85 is a great option for easy power provided you make the necessary supporting mods. And, you have a decent supply chain around you lol. The nearest E85 station to me that I know of is an hour away, which is the same distance to the nearest track but in the opposite direction. I'm better off tuning for 94 octane, or whatever VP Race Fuels can offer.

E85 on a lightly modified FA20 is good for 40-80hp alone. The effective "boost" is less noticeable on naturally aspirated engines though.

my 245 waggon ran on e85, it had WAY MORE torque at lower rpms. it was insane, you could be almost at idle in 5th gear without issues.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

3 hours ago, Mister2010 said:

That's what it most likely is. 

But since the car was imported from somewhere in Europe and he looked it up from the gas cap or manual it might be the different kind.  

But I've never seen 90 Oct here either. 

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum