Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

30 minutes ago, Benji said:

You'd need a new radiator, yes, but not a "new engine" (unless you decide to keep running your overheating engine for hours, maybe, but you're incredibly stupid if you do that anyway).

Not to mention that electric engines are also cooled, aren't they? I mean, unless you want an inferno below the engine hatch. Just as "flawed".

Sure, but not that battery-driven stuff that needs to be charged. The world's powerlines wouldn't be able to handle the load. Most countries can't even power themselves without buying power from other countries right now with barely any EVs, how is that supposed to hold up when everybody is using battery-powered EVs and the power consumption increases manyfold? That is gonna cause a disaster. And guess how that power is being generated? Usually by fossil energy and not by "green energy" like wind, solar or water, because those alone can't even keep a single country running. So the power you're buying is pretty much guaranteed to be not green and the "way to zero" that Volkswagen, for example, promotes is basically a lie.

I'd be interested in an EV that is not powered by a battery, but rather by a hydrogen ICE (like the Toyota Mirai). Just as little emissions but not the inherent disadvantages. It just isn't popular because the governments get a boner for battery-driven vehicles and don't support any other technology, though I'd rather see that as a way over the battery-driven EVs.

granted, it wouldn't take hours to overheat an engine after losing coolant. Just a few mins if it all spewed out. 

Electric cars are cooled but they do produce much less heat.. tesla just doesn't let you limp home if coolant line breaks though. 

It takes more energy to produce hydrogen than it does to just charge a cars battery. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, Benji said:

You'd need a new radiator, yes, but not a "new engine" (unless you decide to keep running your overheating engine for hours, maybe, but you're incredibly stupid if you do that anyway).

Not to mention that electric engines are also cooled, aren't they? I mean, unless you want an inferno below the engine hatch. Just as "flawed".

Sure, but not that battery-driven stuff that needs to be charged. The world's powerlines wouldn't be able to handle the load. Most countries can't even power themselves without buying power from other countries right now with barely any EVs, how is that supposed to hold up when everybody is using battery-powered EVs and the power consumption increases manyfold? That is gonna cause a disaster. And guess how that power is being generated? Usually by fossil energy and not by "green energy" like wind, solar or water, because those alone can't even keep a single country running. So the power you're buying is pretty much guaranteed to be not green and the "way to zero" that Volkswagen, for example, promotes is basically a lie.

I'd be interested in an EV that is not powered by a battery, but rather by a hydrogen ICE (like the Toyota Mirai). Just as little emissions but not the inherent disadvantages. It just isn't popular because the governments get a boner for battery-driven vehicles and don't support any other technology, though I'd rather see that as a way over the battery-driven EVs.

Can't run an ICE car without coolant for even 10 minutes. Everything warps and breaks.

The Tesla ecosystem has solar roof/solar panels, battery storage (powerwall), and an electric car. Doing some math it's pretty easy to figure out how much solar you'd need to be completely energy-independent. Big enough solar you can even sell it back to the utility company, helping them balance out their grid.

1 hour ago, willies leg said:

Kindof like playing for an iPhone for the first time when everybody else is rocking their flip phone.

Ah, right. One of those Tesla owners that drives around thinking they are somehow superior to all on the road. Now I see why you are so persistent on schilling Tesla in a car enthusiast community.

Enjoy your paid beta test though.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

5 minutes ago, vetali said:

Ah, right. One of those Tesla owners that drives around thinking they are somehow superior to all on the road. Now I see why you are so persistent on schilling Tesla in a car enthusiast community.

Enjoy your paid beta test though.

Couldn't be farther from the truth. It's more of an enlightenment, like discovering Linus Tech Tips. You wonder how you did without it 😉 but. that's ok, like I said earlier, everybody's doing electric, even Ford and VW. You'll experience it at some point.

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

But have you ever owned a crappy $2,000 civic that had its issues but cost you almost nothing over 2 years and got you ahead in life, and then donated it when you were done with it? 

3 hours ago, willies leg said:

My first car was a Honda Civic.

-snips-

Okay but imagine taking one of those old Civics and doing an EV swap on one of them, that'd be pretty legit imho.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Okay but imagine taking one of those old Civics and doing an EV swap on one of them, that'd be pretty legit imho.

you're not wrong. Also, you have amazing diplomacy skills 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

you're not wrong.

Great way to extend the life of the car.

Also, you have amazing diplomacy skills 

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Wagons are stupid.

As a wagon owner, I agree. Having more trunk space is an absolutely stupid idea and having the option to carry around big things inside a car that isn't massively oversized for absolutely no reason makes no fucking sense.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

as a hatchback owner why bother with a longer car when you can get a shorter one? 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

3 hours ago, Benji said:

From what I've heard, there are plenty of non-electrical ways of producing hydrogen. So no, battery-driven vehicles are still a no-no for me unless I have a fast charging station (that charges the battery in way less than an hour) right by my home. Since that is commonly not the case, even a plug-in hybrid is not that attractive to me.

With 200+ mile ranges, why wouldn't you just be able to charge your car at your garage at home? Honestly, for me, being able to come home and just plug my car in is wayyyy more convenient compared to going to a gas station.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

10 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

as a hatchback owner why bother with a longer car when you can get a shorter one? 

You wouldn't even fit in the trunk if you had to be thrown in there. What a waste. You know that people (read Americans) measure their trunk space by bodies... Come on Europe...

1 minute ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

You wouldn't even fit in the trunk if you had to be thrown in there. What a waste. You know that people (read Americans) measure their trunk space by bodies... Come on Europe...

Nah Americans measure trunk space by the number of golf bags that you can fit in it. The Albanians measure trunk space by the number of bodies 😄

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

1 minute ago, arnavvr said:

Nah Americans measure trunk space by the number of golf bags that you can fit in it.

You're funny.

5 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

Nah Americans measure trunk space by the number of golf bags that you can fit in it. The Albanians measure trunk space by the number of bodies 😄

im so bad at golf tho

Spoiler

im so bad at golf tho

You don't have be good at golf, you just have to look like you know what you're doing, you don't need to actually know what you're doing 😜

11 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

hence why my car aint available in the USA 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

tesla go wrrrrrr

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

27 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Problem? Solution.

https://im-narzedzia.pl/33668-large_default/m18-fsx-0x-reciprocating-saw-18-v-super-sawzall-fuel-in-case-without-equipment.jpg

20 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

im so bad at golf tho

I wonder if I'm still okay, haven't played in years though. Might try to find a place to play and get a new set of clubs next summer.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Problem? Solution.

Thought you had the decency to at least keep the bodies hidden...

11 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Problem? Solution.

-snip-

I wonder if I'm still okay, haven't played in years though. Might try to find a place to play and get a new set of clubs next summer.

my dad has been obsessed with golf lately. been playing every other day and taking classes. even bought a cart to walk courses. Says it's his only hope of being committed to getting good exercise lol

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

my dad has been obsessed with golf lately. been playing every other day and taking classes. even bought a cart to walk courses. Says it's his only hope of being committed to getting good exercise lol

Soon you're going to tell me that he's moved to Florida, bought a boat, and owns a Corvette 😛 

6 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

Soon you're going to tell me that he's moved to Florida, bought a boat, and owns a Corvette 😛 

i can't imagine him moving he loves the area here. He will definetly have a beach house somewhere though. 

He doesn't really care for corvettes, but I can see him buying like a S6/S7 or RS7 maybe. 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Thought you had the decency to at least keep the bodies hidden...

They haven't been found yet.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Gotta say that walking around on the green is a surprising amount of exercise when you're playing for a few hours. Shouldn't be your only exercise. But it's not bad.

I should definitely look at getting back to golfing one of these..years. Lol.

Regarding the Honda vs Tesla, how old was the Honda and how long had you owned it vs the Tesla? That sounds more like just new car vs busted old car problems.

Last Honda with a carb was the early 80's I think, no one made good cars then. Some just made ones worse than others.

@willies leg