Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

14 hours ago, bimmerman said:

The ZF/6 trans definitely is a good option, a number of folks are racing on them even. There are a couple swap threads on bimmerforums about it, but IIRC you can't just reuse the flywheel like on the ZF/5 -> G420 as the input shaft needs a bushing or something to be integral to the flywheel. Going off fuzzy memory here.

The common el-cheapo-grande driveshaft for 6 speed swaps in the US has been the M3 auto shaft. In the rest of the world, I don't see why one wouldn't source a 6 speed M3 shaft-- I'd imagine those are easier to come by than M3 auto shafts. I don't believe the non-M auto shaft works with the G420, but don't know for the ZF/6 swap. Zionsville makes a swap kit for it including driveshaft.

What I'm pursuing is an SMG conversion on the G420. If you modify or swap the bellhousing on an SMG you have a fully legit manual, and with lower chance of gear crunch since the actuator doesn't destroy the innards on them. Have the trans but lost the motivation haha.

Yeah the pilot bearing is in the flywheel apparently, not the block? That's why you need the clutch and fly from the donor car. I'd be looking at doing a lightweight single mass anyway, so I'd not be keeping the original flywheel anyway. 

M3 evo props are harder to come across than the autos, definitely. All the auto ones are the same, and there are plenty about. Remember it's only the front half of the prop required too, with the slip joint in the middle.

Ive seen the smg conversion route, hell I did think about just sourcing an E46 M3 manual box literally because they're younger. But there's still a heft premium over non-M boxes. 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

1999-2004 Volkswagen TDI with the ALH engine code

looking for really great mpg, and decent size, like a Jetta or Passat

realizing the larger the car, the less mpg but not by much right?

any insight?

any vw diesel lovers out there?

I have a mk7 golf wagon tdi. It’s not a bad car by any means. Not amazing either. Fun little car but it has its weak points. You could look at the Jetta Sportwagen. It is larger, still gets good mpg. Or the 2015 golf Sportwagen. I average 39-40 with a plethora of hills. Flat our highway doing 80 I get 42-43 hand calculated. 

The passat diesels get about the same with larger interiors. Maybe lose 1 or 2 points or mpg overall. That being said, cost of maintenance on a vw is higher than say a Honda or Toyota. They get decent mpg too, and cheaper cost of ownership means they generally come out on top for cost of investment and upkeep even with slightly lower mpg. 

I will hopefully be getting a 10th Gen civic si here in the next half year or so. 

My First (Current) Build:

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 13t Gem Cut (i7 8565u, 240gb, 8gb mem)

My Ride:

2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen

Eventually an XJ manual...

3 minutes ago, ProfBrown said:

too new, i like to wrench on my own rides

the ALH engines are desirable diesels, but before I buy i will have to hit the junk yard and see the availability of parts. to get good gas mileage i am willing to spend a bit, but then again a simple little 1.6L car is good too, I am just torn, I mean I like the small SUVs with the 1.6L, think Suzuki Samurai, think Geo Tracker, think Suzuki Sidekick, which is also a good option as 4x4 is my hobby.

I wouldnt mind starting off with the TDI, then swapping that engine into a an suv i meantion or heck even a jeep yj, jeep cherokee (not grand)

Anyone have any good motorbike tire recommendations for a 1990 NSR 125R? 100/80-17F 130/70-18R are the dimensions, dont need to be extreme grip just need to be solid in all weathers, dont want my bro to die on his first bike because his tires couldnt keep up tho.

Im very happy with the performance of my Avon Roadriders, but im not sure if they are as good of a fit for that bike as they are a lot more touring focused than sport focused

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I had finally found a parking spot at the mall and the car that pulled out was a lime green Lotus Elise S. ♥️ Only caught it on my dashcam though.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

19 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Anyone have any good motorbike tire recommendations for a 1990 NSR 125R? 100/80-17F 130/70-18R are the dimensions, dont need to be extreme grip just need to be solid in all weathers, dont want my bro to die on his first bike because his tires couldnt keep up tho.

Im very happy with the performance of my Avon Roadriders, but im not sure if they are as good of a fit for that bike as they are a lot more touring focused than sport focused

Best I've come across are Michelin Pilot roads any number whatever you can get on a deal, just fitted PR5s on my speedy for the winter and love em in the cold and wet.

Pete

8 hours ago, Kaloob said:

If you're in Europe IIRC Subaru sells diesel models there. May be a good choice.

Subaru diesels love to break crankshafts cause of a manufacturing defect untill a certain model year IIRC, it was fixed after 2013 or something like that and mileage is not really a good way to tell if it will happen or not, other than that its quite a good engine from what i have researched before

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

28 minutes ago, 711jrp said:

Best I've come across are Michelin Pilot roads any number whatever you can get on a deal, just fitted PR5s on my speedy for the winter and love em in the cold and wet.

took a look and cant find them in the sizes i need :/

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 12/21/2014 at 7:35 PM, brownninja97 said:

am i the only person that prefers the 1972 charger but in the end im not too much into muscule cars, they would struggle in britain

1972_dodge_charger-pic-61251.jpeg

Really nice car. I have an old Challenger 1970 T/A 340 cui six pack bought in Los Angeles, CA 1979 by myself.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

13 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Subaru diesels love to break crankshafts cause of a manufacturing defect untill a certain model year IIRC, it was fixed after 2013 or something like that and mileage is not really a good way to tell if it will happen or not, other than that its quite a good engine from what i have researched before

Somehow my Peugeot 407 is still running perfectly at 240,000. I would imagine in EU they'd be a lot cheaper too, and its a little longer than the Passat. 

1 hour ago, handymanshandle said:

Ah, fuck, my lust for obscenely rare regular cars is showing again. There's an Isuzu Oasis for sale locally and I really want it.

Go lust after a Vehicross or an X-90 if you want regular and rare. If you want regular, cool, and rare go snatch up a Dodge Spirit R/T

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Go lust after a Vehicross or an X-90 if you want regular and rare. If you want regular, cool, and rare go snatch up a Dodge Spirit R/T

I've actually seen a VehiCROSS local to me a few months ago. Unfortunately I just can't get into it all that much. I like it but I like a lot of other vehicles more.

Dodge Spirit R/T is kinda cool, but I'd love a late 80s/early 90s Chrysler Fifth Avenue over that. Rare rebadges are why I live.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I've actually seen a VehiCROSS local to me a few months ago. Unfortunately I just can't get into it all that much. I like it but I like a lot of other vehicles more.

Dodge Spirit R/T is kinda cool, but I'd love a late 80s/early 90s Chrysler Fifth Avenue over that. Rare rebadges are why I live.

Alright there Doug Demuro.

50 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Two Words, One Dead Chrysler Off-shoot brand...

PLYMOUTH BREEZE

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

12 hours ago, floofer said:

Somehow my Peugeot 407 is still running perfectly at 240,000. I would imagine in EU they'd be a lot cheaper too, and its a little longer than the Passat. 

My parent's BMW 330d E46 2001 is rocking 480.000km (almost 300.000 miles) and we only changed the clutch and the turbo once

I mean most modern engines with good oil changes and maintenance can/will make it to 300k miles without any major issues. It is the lack of proper maintenance most times that kills cars, or fixing easy things. Rarely will a rod be thrown from a block, sensors here or there, plugs and such is all regular wear items on cars. Now how long certain brands sensors last is another story all together lol.

Hoping my next car is this... Would make commuting more fun and be cheaper to maintain lol. Plus more tech than what I have now ;) looking at hopefully mid year 2020 to switch over if the pieces fall together like they should! 2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Grey Pearl. That color should do well with the dirt roads I live down lol.

spacer.png

My First (Current) Build:

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 13t Gem Cut (i7 8565u, 240gb, 8gb mem)

My Ride:

2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen

Eventually an XJ manual...

On 12/17/2019 at 4:13 AM, Kaloob said:

A Jeep

a jeep even i can work on, maybe not the new ones, but the older models ones are super easy to work on, heck i did a whole rear end in a pick n pull parking lot, did an oil pan on the street, oil changes in parts store parking lot, drive shaft on the street too.

Amazing to find a thread with so many pages and all about cars ?

I've been mostly a lurker here, but I've seen there seems to be some love for bimmers.

Here are my old means of transport:

First my one true love, BMW e28 535is E0-EA8-A6-E-6104-46-EC-BABE-4-B017-D4-A7

C07-E4813-03-FC-461-A-92-F6-DDBBC5-CE148

383-A48-C9-8-B89-4637-83-DC-CC149-D5-F91

The car where I learned to drive, still have it, was my grandad's

Fiat Spazio

misc16.jpg

And my last acquisition, a 1969 Jeep CJ5 (Brazilian edition ?)

B0046835-31-FE-48-FF-8-A7-E-3-D6599-E30-

E6-CBD8-B1-DEA9-4-C45-B455-3-C0-DECDA663

some teaser pics...

2019-12-13.jpg

2019-12-13.jpg

(that mishicrapo oil thermostat block is going away... but the mishicrapo oil cooler is staying)

@bcredeur97

@vetali

@vinyldash303

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Welp just left my job at valvoline. After working there I encourage everyone to avoid places like that like the plague. More then half the employees were ex felons and almost half were constantly high on the job. Also their transmission services are shit. Tire rotations done on a jack without lowering the car down on the jackstand. ? least it’s better then Jiffy lube we had a jiffy lube tech work for us he said they drained a car by taking the filter off and and running it to get the oil out. At another store they forgot to put the oil cap back on and the car caught fire and burned through the hood, and on another one didn’t put the drain plug in and destroyed a motor. -_- I have so many horror stories oh and management sexually harasses you and treats you like shit as well. ??‍♀️ Never working at a place like that again. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

2 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

some teaser pics...

2019-12-13.jpg

2019-12-13.jpg

(that mishicrapo oil thermostat block is going away... but the mishicrapo oil cooler is staying)

@bcredeur97

@vetali

@vinyldash303

Is this a evo endings in a Rx8? Cool.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.