EK Apologizes about X399 Coldplate Design

Tech22

Ek's Letter

Ek seems to have felt the need to apologize about their sub-par x399 coldplate design. 

The performance of EK-Supremacy EVO Threadripper Edition CPU water block and the X399 monoblocks, which are based on the same cold plate design, are not up to EK® standards so action had to be taken.

While I don't think they needed to phrase it as an apology, I think it was a good idea to let the watercooling community know that they are fixing their mistake. EK has since decided to offer an upgrade kit for free to anyone who bought the ZE monoblock, which is nice, but the regular block will need to be replaced entirely if one wants to upgrade it (according to them).

04.jpg

They also show pictures of monoblocks that have as of now not been released (x399), I assume the ones on the left and right sides are for MSI. On their store page, the middle is for gigabyte. The gigabyte one also seems to include a passive heatsink for some components, interesting... I assume they felt the need for an apology because of their management shift, I think they skimped on the fins in the first place as their focus was on the budget stuff (aluminum) at the time of release, and their new management switched their orientation back to the enthusiast market. 

Watercooling Pro & Keyboard Enthusiast!

They are know for good water cooling products and the x399 block was 20c hotter then cheaper ones from the competition, this is crazy.

The new design looks great, and it was smart to do a apology to regain respect.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

They're the most well known and certainly spend a good amount on YouTuber sponsorship but they are far from the best. This is to be expected. 

It sounds like they used the exact same block that they used for their Intel products with the only difference being the mounting plate. Kyle over at HardOCP covered it in his TR4 water block roundup here and here. Obviously it's not exactly the same as the monoblocks but the block design is still optimised to cool a much smaller CPU. Glad to see that EK isn't just burying their head in the sand though.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

They've been cost-cutting for far too long now and it really shows in their sub-par product-line and performance. Will only get worse if it carries on, much better alternatives out there now.

To make things right EK, for messing up on a product I don't own, could you make available the Asus Strix GTX 970 waterblock that you used to make but is currently not-to-be-found on sale?

Seriously, just one. I just want to water cool this thing and see if putting on a water block will kill the GPU sag...

Thanks.

(Yes this is entirely unrelated, it's merely supposed to be comical. But seriously I NEED this GPU block lol)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I was surprised by it, just look at the fin area difference. But good they rectify the flawed design though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 18/02/2018 at 2:28 PM, Trik'Stari said:

To make things right EK, for messing up on a product I don't own, could you make available the Asus Strix GTX 970 waterblock that you used to make but is currently not-to-be-found on sale?

Seriously, just one. I just want to water cool this thing and see if putting on a water block will kill the GPU sag...

Thanks.

(Yes this is entirely unrelated, it's merely supposed to be comical. But seriously I NEED this GPU block lol)

Set up an alert on Google for one on sale. It may take a while but one will turn up.

02.jpg

03.jpg

Before and after

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

PIC

PIC

Before and after

It is nice to see the bigger fin area, but I wounder if we will see this non-raised fine design in revisions to existing CPU blocks too (non TR4 ones)
I can't tell if the fin density and size has changes. (doesn't look like it)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

8 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

It is nice to see the bigger fin area, but I wounder if we will see this non-raised fine design in revisions to existing CPU blocks too (non TR4 ones)
I can't tell if the fin density and size has changes. (doesn't look like it)

Just looks like they made the longer in the middle and added more to the sides. Not a bad resolution, it's probably like 40% more surface are (just guestimating)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

the fact that they changed to a side to side fins should also mean that colder water is in contact with the area closest to the dies, exited to see its perf.

This is why I call out EK as an overall mediocre company. Lazy and innovative for the last 5 years, and they should have never had this problem to begin with let alone now making people jump through hoops to fix their mistake.   "oh I'm shocked that your 8 year old cold plate design with a ghetto hack to the base didn't work"

On 2/17/2018 at 7:28 AM, Trik'Stari said:

If you're going to watercool GPUs, only buy reference design.  I got fucked back in the GTX 680 days when a standoff broke from my 680 Lightning and I had to basically order a one-off production run to replace it and from then on I refuse to buy any non-reference PCB cards.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)