Expand AIO liquid cooler to gpu

mct0012

Just curious, I currently have an h100i gtx AIO on my cpu. Hypothetically, could I buy a second AIO (block only) and extend the piping on the h100i gtx to go from my cpu to the gpu then back to the radiator? I would use the nxt kraken g10 to mount the block to the gpu. Or alternativley could I use just a block (w/o a pump in it like the AIO block) and achieve the same goal (aka will the h100i gtx pump be enough for that amount of pressure drop with new fittings more piping etc)? 

You might be able to, but you will have to do modding as the H100i GTX is not designed to be opened. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Lots of modding required, not really worth it.

Check out the ocn forum thread about it.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I just saw some videos where people used a resivour. Rad to CPU, CPU to Res, Res to GPU, GPU to rad and its worked out. Doesn't seem like an insurmountable amount of modding for liquid cooling a GPU for way less than $250. That way I dont have to mess with the fittings on the h100i gtx cpu block at all.

If you want to void your warranty and have to replace all your PC components when they die from a leak in a few years, sure go ahead.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, mct0012 said:

I just saw some videos where people used a resivour. Rad to CPU, CPU to Res, Res to GPU, GPU to rad and its worked out. Doesn't seem like an insurmountable amount of modding for liquid cooling a GPU for way less than $250. That way I dont have to mess with the fittings on the h100i gtx cpu block at all.

I'm not sure I understand how you intend to "extend the piping" on the H100i. AFAIK that would involve cutting tubing and "somehow" connecting it back together without the aid of standard G1/4 fittings. Get ready for a leak and replacing all components, imo.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

I'm not sure I understand how you intend to "extend the piping" on the H100i. AFAIK that would involve cutting tubing and "somehow" connecting it back together without the aid of standard G1/4 fittings. Get ready for a leak and replacing all components, imo.

I would extend it by removing the tubing from the rad. But yes I see what youre saying now but I could cut the tubing short of where I removed it (from the rad) and reattach it which shouldn't be a problem seeing as many people have reattached AIO tubing back to plastic barbs

I don't see where leaks would be a problem any more than when doing a custom loop. Everyone just says "its gonna leek" without a valid reasoning. Anyone got one?

1 minute ago, mct0012 said:

I would extend it by removing the tubing from the rad. But yes I see what youre saying now but I could cut the tubing short of where I removed it (from the rad) and reattach it which shouldn't be a problem seeing as many people have reattached AIO tubing back to plastic barbs

They're not really barbs on the H100i gtx as far as I know.... I would HEAVILY discourage you to do this, but that's merely my opinion and you are free to do anything at your own risk.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

They're not really barbs on the H100i gtx as far as I know.... I would HEAVILY discourage you to do this, but that's merely my opinion and you are free to do anything at your own risk.

There are barbs on the h100i gtx rad

I just would like people to debate with to decide if I want to seriously entertain this idea

It's because the H100i isn't designed for expansion in mind. 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

3 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

It's because the H100i isn't designed for expansion in mind. 

Right but that's the beauty of modding!

2 minutes ago, mct0012 said:

Right but that's the beauty of modding!

Modding doesn't always work out... let's say you have a drain designed to empty up to 30L in a minute, and the pipe below also designed for 30L, and then the drain into the river for 30L... how are you going to mod it without replacing everything to drain 80-100L...

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

Modding doesn't always work out... let's say you have a drain designed to empty up to 30L in a minute, and the pipe below also designed for 30L, and then the drain into the river for 30L... how are you going to mod it without replacing everything to drain 80-100L...

Thats where the res comes in (would to use another liquid to fill system)

It's just plumbing you guys. if you can find the right sized fittings, i don't see why it wouldn't be possible. ghetto, but possible.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

It's just plumbing you guys. if you can find the right sized fittings, i don't see why it wouldn't be possible. ghetto, but possible.

See that's what I was thinking but I tend to be to optimistic with my endeavors lol

9 minutes ago, mct0012 said:

See that's what I was thinking but I tend to be to optimistic with my endeavors lol

Here are my principle arguements and I probably will not discuss any further:

You've quoted $250 USD, so I will use this as a baseline.

1. I am generally confused as to why you would want to take 2 AIOs and turn it into one frankein loop (at this point I am assuming "for the lulz"). Sure, you get some performance boost perhaps from having effectively more radiator space, but you are voiding warranty of 2 good products. Why not just keep them as 2 separate AIOs?

2. Since AIOs have copper + aluminium mixed, you will need to use ethylene glycol/propylene glycol mixture as a minimum to keep corrosion at bay. Filling this kind of loop is annoying and will require an extra reservoir (+ more cost). This also rules out adding more premium blocks into the loop since you don't want you aluminium radiator to develop weak points over time

3. For about $240 the EK-Fluidgaming kit is available, an all-aluminium kit that is expandable, designed for purpose, all fittings included. Has a full-cover GPU block etc etc (provided you have a recent-ish graphics card). The price leap (or not even) is justified by a large margin. Not to mention that in this way there is at least warranty on the water cooling gear. Performance will also be better in terms of silence since the power delivery will be liquid cooled too. 

Can you do it? You can always try. Are there better alternatives at a similar price point - probably. I stand my ground, its not a good idea.

9 hours ago, For Science! said:

3. For about $240 the EK-Fluidgaming kit is available, an all-aluminium kit that is expandable, designed for purpose, all fittings included. Has a full-cover GPU block etc etc (provided you have a recent-ish graphics card). The price leap (or not even) is justified by a large margin. Not to mention that in this way there is at least warranty on the water cooling gear. Performance will also be better in terms of silence since the power delivery will be liquid cooled too. 

What I don't like about the EK Fluid Gaming kit is that it uses a rather thin (AIO class) 240mm rad instead of a thicker 280mm or a AIO class thickness 360mm rad for component cooling. General wisdom is to use 120mm of rad per component. In that kit you are cooling 3 rather large heat generating areas: CPU, GPU, and GPU VRM. While a 240 is BORDERLINE for that sort of heat dissipation, a far better choice would have been to use the thicker 45mm 280-size CE radiator or the 28mm 360-size SE radiator. I'm sure this was put together to get as close to a cheap solution as they could get without putting the price near the $300 which is where most people are turned off.

The problem i see with retrofitting a second rad with plumbing is restriction. Barb fittings have a smaller ID than the tube they are fitted in. this is why custom loops use much larger ID tubing in their loops so that fluid flow is not constricted at the fittings. you would need quite a bit more pump power to get the fluid flow rate back to where it was at the cost of increased system pressure (which is where leaks start to happen). Soft tubing just isn't strong enough (too much elasticity) to flair out and retain a barb fitting on it's own while keeping IDs the same, unlike household waterline Pex-A (which is where i'm coming from). You would have to use a smaller ID barb to slip into the line, and then crimp on a retaining clamp to prevent leaks from occuring at the connection, and again, soft tubing is really not your friend here as the elasticity is too great to make a seal that will last.

So bottom line: Can you do it? Sure. But it is far from ideal, nor will it last, and it will be fraught with complications both initially and down the road and when it comes to water & electronics... you don't want complications. You want BULLET PROOF.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

On 2/12/2018 at 12:31 AM, mct0012 said:

Just curious, I currently have an h100i gtx AIO on my cpu. Hypothetically, could I buy a second AIO (block only) and extend the piping on the h100i gtx to go from my cpu to the gpu then back to the radiator? I would use the nxt kraken g10 to mount the block to the gpu. Or alternativley could I use just a block (w/o a pump in it like the AIO block) and achieve the same goal (aka will the h100i gtx pump be enough for that amount of pressure drop with new fittings more piping etc)? 

You will spend hours trying to bleed the loop and the performance will be terrible... Unless you like... just use the AIO parts as a block and rad in which means getting an extra pump and res... could be done.