Exploding Apple Airpods

pxnguinPr3

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBIXpjB?m=en-gb

Many people use apple airpods, and this controversy affects many apple fans, and users.

"He had been working out at the LA Fitness on 4th Street in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Thursday, listening to dance music, when white smoke began to leak from the right headphone, Colon told WFLA, an NBC affiliate Tampa. He removed both AirPods and left them on a piece of equipment as he went to seek help. When he returned, he was shocked to find the right headphone had shattered, he said. The left headphone remained intact."

Hi.

We reached out to Apple but it declined to comment on the situation. A company spokesperson told WFLA that it would investigate the claim and would reach out to Colon.

Totally not sketchy at all. AKA they'll pay him off and tell him not to mention it again. 

IMO just sounds like a guy looking for attention and lawsuit money. Seeing as the battery is 62mah at 1.5V I find this hard to believe. Maybe when more than just one case of this happens it will be more interesting, but really AirPods are really low powered.

10 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Totally not sketchy at all. AKA they'll pay him off and tell him not to mention it again. 

Can we ditch the conspiracy theories, please?

The boring reality is that Apple has to investigate to see whether this is a one-off incident or evidence of a systemic problem.  And given that AirPods have been on the market for over a year, we'd know if this was some glaring Note 7-style flaw.

More likely than not, this is probably either a bad battery or the result of a puncture or pressure.  It's the nature of lithium-ion batteries.

17 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

You'd think Apple would have learned to not ignore a problem after their phone throttling because of the battery mess.

sounds like a component failed and fried, not another "exploding batteries" horror story.. because honestly, how much battery is there to explode? :P

anyways, if apple's smart they'll ask the guy to send the airpods back so they can figure out what went wrong, and how to fix it (if not for it just being a QA issue)

this dosent fit the TNAR format you need to add some personal input, but this was just probably an abused pair of airpods or a perticularly bad lithium battery. probably didnt explode but rather fall apart from the heat

Edited by Bananasplit_00
edited to not get told off by mods :P

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

So the guy out down his pods walked out of site and came back to a broken one and assumed it exploded? 

He was at a gym someone probably stood or sat on them.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

What I want to know is who he was going to seek help from. Does he think gym staff care about his headphones? Doesn't make any sense. 

45 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

this dosent fit the TNAR format, but this was just probably an abused pair of airpods or a perticularly bad lithium battery. probably didnt explode but rather fall apart from the heat

No backseat moderating :P

Yes, I see the irony. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

What I want to know is who he was going to seek help from. Does he think gym staff care about his headphones? Doesn't make any sense. 

No backseat moderating :P

Yes, I see the irony. 

nobody allowed to point out its formated wrong anymore? :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

I've been bitched at for it several times. *shrug* "No helping others by pointing out their errors! They must learn by the ban hammer!" 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

He removed both AirPods and left them on a piece of equipment as he went to seek help.

the guy went to seek help because his airpod overheated, 2018 in a nutshell

a sweat drop got inside it and shorted it, it's not like a nuclear warhead was about to go boom and some random dude at a gym managed to stop the timer just a second before detonation lmao

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Just like to point out that you didn't actually point out what was wrong. Constructive criticism (Eg: "Hey just so you know, you need to add this, or maybe change this into that", etc) is often overlooked as being fine.

You basically just said "Doesn't fit the format" and the OP may not know why.

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I've been bitched at for it several times. *shrug* "No helping others by pointing out their errors! They must learn by the ban hammer!" 

They usually don't want users going overboard because "backseat moderating" can cause a lot of backlash.

On Topic: Hard to say what the cause was. Personally, there's not enough evidence here to blame Apple. Let's wait for more details and see if they can find out what actually happened.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Just like to point out that you didn't actually point out what was wrong. Constructive criticism (Eg: "Hey just so you know, you need to add this, or maybe change this into that", etc) is often overlooked as being fine.

You basically just said "Doesn't fit the format" and the OP may not know why.

ah yah true, il edit and link i guess :) 

Builds:

Spoiler

Dude, Bro, Dude! I was at LA fitness this morning dude and my air pods just exploded bruh! so sick dude

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

22 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

On Topic: Hard to say what the cause was. Personally, there's not enough evidence here to blame Apple. Let's wait for more details and see if they can find out what actually happened.

This is the main problem I have with this. In the article only the guy knows (and only partly as he walked out on them) what really happened. It might not even be the case and this never happened, or it could be a major problem with the AirPods. Its hard to know for sure based off one persons story.

8 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

This is the main problem I have with this. In the article only the guy knows (and only partly as he walked out on them) what really happened. It might not even be the case and this never happened, or it could be a major problem with the AirPods. Its hard to know for sure based off one persons story.

Let's give the man the benefit of the doubt, and take his story at face value:

His AirPods started smoking, and when he came back, they were cracked.

That doesn't tell us much. It could be:

1. A single set of faulty AirPods (defects happen with every product)

2. They were already damaged and this lead to a failure (he maybe broke them beforehand accidentally, opening up the casing, allowing a short)

3. The entire line of AirPods are defective, and AirPods are ticking time bombs (unlikely given how long they've been released)

4. The AirPods were used with third party non-standard equipment (Eg: charging cable) that malfunctioned and caused the failure

5. Some other unforeseen cause

So far, we cannot prove nor disprove any of these options, so therefore we should not assume any of them to be the cause without more information and facts.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I personally had my AirPods go though the wash and come out fine. Took a few charges before the case would hold a charge again was the only issue.

I would assume some physical damage to the battery would be needed to get one to pop. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Sounds like his exercise had some explosive gains...

I'll leave the chat room now.

Edited by TopHatProductions115

3 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Nah, I'll pass thanks. 

$5 says it's Apple and Samsung secretly creating Spy equipment.

On 11/02/2018 at 8:45 AM, W-L said:

@pxnguinPr3 Please don't forget to ensure your post meets the requirements of the Tech News Section. As of currently it has been moved to General Discussion until updated. 

Updated, Sorry for that!

Hi.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:22 PM, RorzNZ said:

IMO just sounds like a guy looking for attention and lawsuit money. Seeing as the battery is 62mah at 1.5V I find this hard to believe. Maybe when more than just one case of this happens it will be more interesting, but really AirPods are really low powered.

"exploded" doesn't mean it has to combust like a grenade; all is needed is the housing to bust/pop open.