Petition to Stop windows 10 UWP

20 minutes ago, explorer.exe said:

let's make microsoft see how bad of an idea UWP is

But the universal windows platform is great (at least in my opinion)! I mean, just imagine the potential! and while yes, it does have it's flaws (mainly the app store), It's still a great idea!

I see what's happening here.

In the past things moved so slowly that you wouldn't become a dinosaur until after 50. With the ever increasing rate of technological change this age has decreased. Now we have young dinosaurs. People who feel outdated before they even reach 30.

I'm guessing that if it ain't automated it's considered broken.

Here we have what appears to be a petition based on an interface issue. It's kinda like saying you don't like the taste of McD's because of the color of the staff uniforms.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

if you had paid attention it's a special build of Windows 10 (likely for low power devices), its not like they are going to force every user to a version of 10 that only uses UWP apps, they would lose market share in 2 seconds flat if they did something that stupid, this is just the latest attempt at making a version of Windows for crappy chromebooks and it's not the first crappy version of Windows Microsoft has made, remember Vista Starter Edition or Vista Home Basic?

UWP apps have there place, I like Netflix being an app that allows better stream quality then using the Silverlight Plugin in a browser window.

OP, UWP is garbage and should rarely if ever be used, but a petition won't help. It's a waste of time.

It's more productive to just avoid it for now.

12 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

UWP apps have there place, I like Netflix being an app that allows better stream quality then using the Silverlight Plugin in a browser window.

No reason why this couldn't be done outside of an UWP-app.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

OP, UWP is garbage and should rarely if ever be used, but a petition won't help. It's a waste of time.

No reason why this couldn't be done outside of an UWP-app.

unless i'm mistaken the UWP app allows Netflix to make 1 app that works on both Windows 10 and Xbox One consoles which means less app development costs and fewer apps to maintain, which is a good thing in my book.

23 minutes ago, keskparane said:

I see what's happening here.

In the past things moved so slowly that you wouldn't become a dinosaur until after 50. With the ever increasing rate of technological change this age has decreased. Now we have young dinosaurs. People who feel outdated before they even reach 30.

Cool story, bro. Except when it comes to computers actually the opposite is true: things change much more slowly than they used to. Between 1985 and 1995 we went from 8-bit computers running from their ROM to PCs running Windows 95 in hard drives, all through DOS and booting from floppies in between. Between 2007 and 2017 we went from Core 2 quads running Windows XP/Vista on Sata HDDs to i7 quads running Windows 7/10 Sata SSDs.

As tends to happen with the life cycle of technologies, the rate of change in IT seems pretty concave to me.

Regarding OP: I don't understand the mania to "petition" to private companies (not that I'm all that positive about petitioning in general, but if at least was about public institutions...). Companies design products, which may succeed of fail depending on attracting some audience. Either way, you don't need to be part of that audience. Stop acting like everything is forced on you, you make your own choices, and it's no one's responsibility to make your choices "trade-off free".

Trying to force companies to stop doing something you are not interested in is going beyond your freedom to not use their products, and overstepping into others' freedom to use them if they like them. To each its own.

And if a company does something illegal or otherwise misbehaves, then turn to legal action or ask the relevant authorities for better regulation.

as a software developer i disagree.

i do agree in that i dont like the way they try to push uwp on people but uwp itself is a good idea for cutting down on development time and therefore cost.

the petition if at all should rather focus on keeping x86 support or whatever is bothering you. uwp itself should stay and get developed further

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

Listen here, I installed the iot version on my rpi, and I couldn't install any games!  How is that universal if I can't run my dx12 games on it?  Checkmate!

Did you try turning it on and off?

36 minutes ago, keskparane said:

This is actually so true. I used to be heavily into iPhone development, making applications in the nearly-new objective-c, jailbreaking, installing custom ROMs on my iPod Touch. It was really cool that I knew how to do all this free stuff. Nowadays I'm lucky if I can find out how to get my own phone number. I actually use two hands with my phone as well and need to look when i'm txting. I'm also a total granny when I drive now haha. I'm still young really, just focused on other stuff.

Younger people don't have it all their way. I sold a decent subwoofer and amplifier setup from my car (didn't need it really). He kept messaging me that it was broken, only one sub worked. I had to show him how to put a few wires together ;) . Technology doesn't make the world go round. Money and experience does.

17 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Cool story, bro. Except.....

Story? So we don't have a user on a modern platform saying please don't change it?

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

8 minutes ago, Powerscape one man band said:

whats UWP

i wish op had asked himself that question before shitting on it :D

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

46 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

unless i'm mistaken the UWP app allows Netflix to make 1 app that works on both Windows 10 and Xbox One consoles which means less app development costs and fewer apps to maintain, which is a good thing in my book.

Could be done without needing UWP.

It can't be done right now because of the choices Microsoft made, but if they had made things differently from the start then it would have been possible.

Microsoft had the choice to either port Win32 to the Xbox, or port UWP to Windows 10. They choice the latter but either one would have had the same outcome, one universal set of APIs to develop programs for both platforms.

If Microsoft really cared about portability then they would have moved to industry standard specifications like POSIX.

24 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

This is actually so true. I used to be heavily into iPhone development, making applications in the nearly-new objective-c, jailbreaking, installing custom ROMs on my iPod Touch. It was really cool that I knew how to do all this free stuff. Nowadays I'm lucky if I can find out how to get my own phone number. I actually use two hands with my phone as well and need to look when i'm txting. I'm also a total granny when I drive now haha. I'm still young really, just focused on other stuff.

Younger people don't have it all their way. I sold a decent subwoofer and amplifier setup from my car (didn't need it really). He kept messaging me that it was broken, only one sub worked. I had to show him how to put a few wires together ;) . Technology doesn't make the world go round. Money and experience does.

You're 22 (I thought you were younger)...

The times you're talking about were just a few years ago, but you make it sound like they happened decades ago.

12 minutes ago, Powerscape one man band said:

whats UWP

It's a collection of APIs and design guidelines which is meant to be a signle development target which will work on multiple devices.

The idea is that if you develop an UWP app then it will be able to run on Windows phones, Xbox as well as Windows desktops and laptops.

The idea sounds good, but in practice it doesn't really work.

Not all UWP programs are cross platform (some only work on phones, some only on desktop/laptops for example) so it can be pretty confusing for some, and in those instances it doesn't really cut down on any development or maintenance costs.

Another program is that because it's designed to work on all platforms, Microsoft based a lot of the design choices and restrictions on how mobile OSes works. The result is that developers are fairly limited and locked down in what their programs can do. A lot of the restrictions are done in the name of "safety" which is good, but safety vs functionality is a balancing act.

Some other issues are that programs needs to be rewritten, if that's even possible (because of the aforementioned limitations).

I don't know about you but my experience with UWP apps are kinda meh. UWP Netflix for instance is many miles behind than it's iOS and Android counterparts. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 minutes ago, Powerscape one man band said:

whats UWP

but to answer your question UWP is a software development framework allowing people to write programs that then will run on a variety of device equally like pc and xbox and windows phone and iot and everything else running windows basically. all apps in the windows store are written in uwp. the problem with this is that at the moment uwp is still a very closed system by nature. meaning you dont have as much access to the hardware or other libraries as you would with more traditionell frameworks. 

big demanding games for example i dont think are possible with it right now. but microsoft is pushing uwp so hard that running x86 software or games might be a problem in the future.

this is all just my limited understanding. but personally as a programmer i love the idea and have as of now not seen any downside of it. OP is trippin'

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't know about you but my experience with UWP apps are kinda meh. UWP Netflix for instance is many miles behind it's iOS and Android counterparts. 

in what way? i havent tested the netflix app on uwp but if it is worse then im sure thats not uwps fault but rather the development teams unless youre talking about performance issues.

2 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

in what way? i havent tested the netflix app on uwp but if it is worse then im sure thats not uwps fault but rather the development teams unless youre talking about performance issues.

Perhaps. Even the UWP LastPass app's UI is stuck to Windows 8 era of system charms that sucks when you don't have a touchscreen (Search, Share, Start, Devices, Settings). You don't have to take my word for it, test out UWP Netflix and Microsoft Edge.

Maybe devs aren't feeling to optimize their app or whatever reason. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

40 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Story?

Your account of how the rate of technological change in IT evolved over time is counterfactual.

40 minutes ago, keskparane said:

So we don't have a user on a modern platform saying please don't change it?

The thing is, whatever "we have", the point remains that your account of how the rate of technological change in IT evolved over time is counterfactual.

24 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Your account of how the rate of technological change in IT evolved over time is counterfactual.

The thing is, whatever "we have", the point remains that your account of how the rate of technological change in IT evolved over time is counterfactual.

"Ok google create appointment with SpaceGhostC2C to discuss technological change"

48 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't know about you but my experience with UWP apps are kinda meh. UWP Netflix for instance is many miles behind it's iOS and Android counterparts. 

If that is the case, than the problem is Netflix. Not UWP.

UWP is pretty powerful, and keep getting more and more powerful. You have great examples that Microsoft release showcasing UWP, you have Groove, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Maps, Edge, and well everything else in Windows 10 modernized apps. Now it might not be your liking, but they are fine apps. Nothing goes and says "I can't do it, because UWP doesn't allow me to" type of thin. I mean yes, you can't have fixed size window, have admin privileges, and do what it wants on the registry, because of the sandboxes environment it is in, and also would break UWP aspect. But it's not like "Oh I can't play video, as everything blocks me in doing that" type of thing.

I'll discuss with you

ignoring the mean comments

But the universal windows platform is great (at least in my opinion)! I mean, just imagine the potential! and while yes, it does have it's flaws (mainly the app store), It's still a great idea!

I'm not against the idea, I'm against their approach.

Here we have what appears to be a petition based on an interface issue. It's kinda like saying you don't like the taste of McD's because of the color of the staff uniforms.

I don't feel like a dinosaur, also I'm not complaining only about the interface.

its not like they are going to force every user to a version of 10 that only uses UWP apps

I know this, but don't you feel bad about slowly being pushed towards this direction?

I'm trying bro, but I hate the fact that the system is slowly becoming uwp

their approach is the worst that they could've chosen, think about linux cross compile feature

it works like a charm producing the same code for different architectures.

C is the same be your pc ARM or x86 (i'm not talking about asm, I know that someone will say this)

I don't understand the mania to "petition" to private companies

I know that this won't force them, but I made it in a way of expression, if a lot people had signed up for it they might see this and maybe change their approach

but I expected that no one would sign

RorzNZ

i know that feeling too haha but it's not about this

I see windows 10 as the best windows ever made being slowly killed by things like forcing you to use uwp apps

the petition if at all should rather focus on keeping x86 support or whatever is bothering you. uwp itself should stay and get developed further

I agree with you, my problem is being forced towards uwp, like control panel, garbage apps installed automatically, no option to disable them

once I deleted cortana app and realized that if it's missing it activates a kill switch that makes a translucent layer appear on top of the start menu. everything is still there but the clicks are blocked.

the idea is good but their approach couldn't possibly be worse

instead of just leaving the developers a stable environment that just needed a cross compile they are forcing you to use uwp

cross compiling would even make the program faster for all users

why does the uwp apps need to keep running forever on the background?

where are them located?

am I stuck to windows store?

btw, as a developer would you rely on that?

why does even the calculator needs to be UWP? now even that is slow to open.

don't like the apps don't use them/uninstall them. Who cares!

what about the system apps that are now UWP? how am I supposed to uninstall them?

and what about the fact when you update your windows and they come back?

they even set theirselves as default (music app at least)

microsoft just cares about locking everyone to their store so you can only sell things through there and so them can take their slice

if this continue we will need to root windows in the future in order to have access to system folders