Petition to Stop windows 10 UWP

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Do you really believe that? Because there is no evidence to support that idea.

In fact, according to the latest rumors Microsoft will actually incentivize OEMs to ship computers with win32 blocked. OEMs will pay less for the Windows licenses if they ship computers that can only install UWP programs out-of-the-box.

I believe Microsoft's long term plan is to replace win32 with UWP. It would certainly benefit Microsoft in many ways (and screw over their customers in many ways too).

I shouldve clarified what i mean by systems that cant run full windows, meaning systems that can only run windows 32 bit. Essentially you went into detail of what i was saying. Im not sure why anyone has an issue with effectively replacing 32 bit windows as it makes up less then 10% of the eco system. Most people with 32 bit systems have them because they dont know they have the option to upgrade, eg: elderly consumers that only use their computer for email, solitaire, and light browsing, which UWP will be able to do.

Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4Ghz - Corsair H60i- 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Vengeance RGB @2933Mhz - MSI Geforce RTX 2080ti Gaming X Trio - 120 GB NVMe (OS) - 240 GB SSD - 5 TB Raid

I once repacked Breath Of The Wild and CEMU on the CemuPiracy sub for PC and now everyone asks me about it.

Streamer/Content Creator

You know....this 'issue' really would be a "non issue" if u just ..you know ... used windows 7 instead :P

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Just now, SolarNova said:

You know....this 'issue' really would be a "non issue" if u just ..you know ... used windows 7 instead :P

And of course you can always buy a UWP machine, which i imagine will be cheap as hell compared to the rest of the market, and then just load it with windows 7, or what would be, at the time, an "old" win10 32bit install. 

Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4Ghz - Corsair H60i- 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Vengeance RGB @2933Mhz - MSI Geforce RTX 2080ti Gaming X Trio - 120 GB NVMe (OS) - 240 GB SSD - 5 TB Raid

I once repacked Breath Of The Wild and CEMU on the CemuPiracy sub for PC and now everyone asks me about it.

Streamer/Content Creator

I'm surprised the link was never taken down as the petition was created by OP so technically it's self-advertisement. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 02/02/2018 at 12:16 PM, Daniel644 said:

unless i'm mistaken the UWP app allows Netflix to make 1 app that works on both Windows 10 and Xbox One consoles which means less app development costs and fewer apps to maintain, which is a good thing in my book.

It also means all the apps are stored in one location and is updated by one app.

Half of the programs install to programs, some to appdata and the rest who knows and each of them have their own updater taking up not only space but resources to take if there is an update.

With UWP this would be a thing of the past. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

42 minutes ago, Xerora said:

I shouldve clarified what i mean by systems that cant run full windows, meaning systems that can only run windows 32 bit. Essentially you went into detail of what i was saying. Im not sure why anyone has an issue with effectively replacing 32 bit windows as it makes up less then 10% of the eco system. Most people with 32 bit systems have them because they dont know they have the option to upgrade, eg: elderly consumers that only use their computer for email, solitaire, and light browsing, which UWP will be able to do.

win32 is not "32 bit Windows". It's a collection of APIs. The "traditional" ones that most non-UWP programs use. Like Chrome, Firefox, Steam, Photostop, and so on.

(win32 is kind of an outdated term and the correct one is WinAPI)

The latest rumor is that Microsoft will sell Windows to OEMs for less if they limit users to only UWP programs out of the box. If true, it's clearly an attempt at moving forward with their plans to make UWP the only thing that will run on "consumer Windows".

25 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

win32 is not "32 bit Windows". It's a collection of APIs. The "traditional" ones that most non-UWP programs use. Like Chrome, Firefox, Steam, Photostop, and so on.

(win32 is kind of an outdated term and the correct one is WinAPI)

The latest rumor is that Microsoft will sell Windows to OEMs for less if they limit users to only UWP programs out of the box. If true, it's clearly an attempt at moving forward with their plans to make UWP the only thing that will run on "consumer Windows".

Okay thats my bad, i thought win32 meant windows 32 bit. However I still stand by my last two statements. These UWP means are meant to run on older system, and in theory, cheaper "PC's." Windows UWP seems comparable to Chrome OS. The idea is its meant to be used for browsing the web, checking email, and other basic functions. And I'm sure browsers will follow suit for UWP, as @vorticalbox stated, this is a great way to reduce the unnecessary space usage and resource whenever an app updates, etc. This is ideal for people away at Uni (college) that dont care about playing pc games by night, or for business who would love to save a buck or two while also being able to send emails to clients, updating client files, etc, all in one mainstreamed place. This is ease of use, more then it is a lock down. Like i said earlier, if you really want a windows 10 pc, theres a good chance you can just wipe the drive and reinstall the full OS. UWP isnt going to replace windows 10 as a whole, Microsoft's market shares would plummet and it doesnt make sense, logically, or business wise to completely disassemble their entire business model for the last 20+ years for some new OS version. That's just asinine.

Streamer/Content Creator

All I hear these days is whinging and complaints,  law of market demand tells companies more than forum whinging.  So if you don't like it don't use.  At the end of the day it's not like you don't have an option anymore.  Hell even a self install of Ubuntu will get everything you need going to be compatible.  And for most non tech users it'd be just like learning to use a new version of windows.  

About the only thing you need windows for is games, but then gamer's these days have no will power, they whinge and moan about the price, about the sub costs about DLC about glitches and problems online,  then they go and buy the fucking thing and all the DLC/lootbox rubbish anyway.  Yep, message received loud and clear.  Petitions won't help people with that mindset.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, Xerora said:

These UWP means are meant to run on older system, and in theory, cheaper "PC's." Windows UWP seems comparable to Chrome OS. The idea is its meant to be used for browsing the web, checking email, and other basic functions.

Like I said before, I have not seen any indication that this is what Microsoft are actually planning. To me I think it's obvious that they want to replace WinAPI with UWP in the long term. Maybe not this year, the next year or even the year after that, but if we look 5 or 10 years into the future then I think Microsoft want to be in a position where UWP is the only type of program the general public have access to, and they get the programs from the Window Store (where Microsoft can take a cut from all sales, and ads).

17 minutes ago, Xerora said:

And I'm sure browsers will follow suit for UWP

You mean UWP browsers? Edge is already UWP, but Microsoft's policies does not allow third party browsers. At best you can make it a reskinned Edge browser. Chrome and Firefox? They won't exist as UWP versions until Microsoft changes their policies.

Here is Microsoft's official stance on it:

Apps that browse the web must use the appropriate HTML and JavaScript engines provided by the Windows Platform.

It's just another example of how Microsoft are screwing over developers and users by placing stupid restrictions on UWP which only benefits themselves.

From what I've read, UWP is mostly Microsoft's attempt to compete against Chrome OS for mainstream users, users that don't do more than check email, Facebook, YouTube. With the amount of productivity apps like word processors being supported through web browsers increasing with every year, the need to run legacy Win32 apps decrease for mainstream users. For power-users like us, and yes I consider PC gamers as power-users to some extent, I can't imagine things would change much if any. As far as Microsoft giving manufacturers incentives for shipping systems with Win32 compatibility blocked; depending on how the pricing for the non Win32 version is set, I would put the blame on manufacturers if we end up with a market where in order to get that functionality, you have to step all the way up to the highest model. 

So my perfect world be would be roughly:

Core i3 or lower - Win32 blocked

Core i5 and above - Win32 enabled. 

AMD, same scale, based on roughly how their products stacks up with Intel's lineup since I doubt anyone follows AMD's Axx platforms as much. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 hours ago, Xerora said:

These UWP means are meant to run on older system, and in theory, cheaper "PC's." Windows UWP seems comparable to Chrome OS. @vorticalbox

For cheaper systems definitely, but older I am not too sure about.  MS is definitely taking a forward approach and trying to sever itself from legacy anything.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 2/2/2018 at 6:03 AM, explorer.exe said:

I hope this don't break any rules, but as observed Linus and Luke also hates UWP

So I made this petition to stop it

Let's make it like we made with the start menu, let's make microsoft see how bad of an idea UWP is

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-windows-10-uwp-apps

Microsoft dont give a shit. They are a billion dollar company, who owns a majority of the market share. How many people do you expect to go to Apple or Linux? Not many, because most people stick with what they know. Its only the tech savvy type of people who are ok with change, as they generally dont mind figuring things out. But parents and grandparents want to use what they know. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.