Drone used to rescue two stranded & drowning at rough sea.(World first)

Expectation :                                                                            Reality:

Alexandra_Daddario_1280.jpg                      Stella.0.jpg

Reportedly a Worlds First UAV shore rescue,  Australia , a rescue drone was put into test under real life scenario has saved a pair of swimmers caught in rough seas in 700 meters off Lennox Head in the state of New South Wales. Nick named 'The Little Ripper'  an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) was originally introduced to monitor offshore activity to detect deadly predator such as sharks near the beached & alert the officials to clear the beaches , The drone was being tested by officials when the distress signal came in about the situation & it went from a test mission to a rescue mission.

1516256733447.jpg

Yep, those two tiny dots.

"The rescued boys, aged 17 and 15, were spotted struggling in three-meter swell about 700 meters off Lennox Head in the state of New South Wales. The pair were fortunately unharmed from their ordeal apart from showing signs of fatigue"

Lifeguards were busy testing the UAV off Lennox Head when the distress call came in  & the testing phase was quickly changed to a life saving response to locate & assist the people in distress, The response took barely over a minute (70 seconds) to locate the individuals offshore in distress in the rough sea as they were battered by waves . A scenario which would take more than a couple of minutes for Life Guards to show up & respond let alone find them in rough environments.  The drone then deployed pods it carried  to the distressed swimmers & the individuals managed to hold on to it & stay afloat the deployed drop pods expand so it gives more than enough room to grab hold of it without loosing grip. They managed to reach the safety of shore within minutes afterwards.

Little-Ripper-Lifeguard-Drone-640x480.jp

"I was able to launch it, fly it to the location, and drop the pod all in about one to two minutes. On a normal day that would have taken our lifeguards a few minutes longer to reach the members of the public.  The Little Ripper UAV certainly proved itself today, it is an amazingly efficient piece of lifesaving equipment and a delight to fly"

-  Mr Sheridan (Drone op)

Rescue footage

The Little ripper drone is packed with supplies including inflatable rafts and GPS beacons, can fly through the air for two-and-half hours on a single charge In the future there would be more of these & more advanced versions of it hopefully , This one is on a small scale , maybe we can have a bit better implications of large sized drones for this , using it other than to kill someone from a remote place.

Within 70 seconds the aerial helper had tracked down the stranded duo and dropped them a flotation pod, which they used to safely make their way to shore

The drone itself cost about 25k AUD, But seeing it in real life scenario & it's efficiency & usefulness, i think it payed off, In December 2017, the NSW government announced it would invest $430,000 in drone technology as part of a trial on the North Coast of NSW.

Cool huh? Leave a comment on what You think about this whole shenanigan, with AI taking over something like this , it would be awesome .

Source:

https://www.surflifesaving.com.au/news/little-ripper-uav-world-first-rescue

https://www.rt.com/news/416313-lifeguard-drone-rescues-teenagers/

https://www.yahoo.com/news/australia-lifesaving-drone-makes-first-rescue-085655966.html

http://www.newscaf.com/world/australia-lifesaving-drone-helps-rescue-drowning-teens_867113.html

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/18/little-ripper-lifeguard-drone-rescue/

hqdefault.jpg

Details separate people.

If we're honest, this is one of the best uses of drones that I can think of except pizza delivery. Our emergency saving service has numerous cases every year with people getting lost in the mountains which are really hard to search by foot.

I also really really really like your comparison. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Hopefully things like this will see more use of drones as (relatively) inexpensive rescue and monitoring tools. Being able to send out a drone that can get to people in hard to reach areas quickly in order to drop off payloads to help people survive until appropriate rescue arrives is a big deal. I hope it eventually becomes standard to have a fleet of drones that are ready to go so that when an emergency arrives, help can be there in minutes.

27 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

for some reason I had the image of a multirotor airlifting two boys off the sea in my head ._.

a little crazy but it may not be long till it happens 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

HTTP3d3dy5naWZiaW4uY29tL2Jpbi9yZXZlcnNlL

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

thats pretty awesome, great use of a drone! 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

27 minutes ago, Sauron said:

25k is pretty cheap all things considered. Well done!

25k for even AUD is still too expensive for what it is. But then again the 2 1/2 hours run time is fucking impressive as shit. 

12 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

25k for even AUD is still too expensive for what it is. But then again the 2 1/2 hours run time is fucking impressive as shit. 

Well, if you take the size, run time, functionality, range and speed it sounds like a fair price given what a much smaller consumer drone would cost.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

inb4 some comment calling out OP for being sexist with the photo of the lifeguards....

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Well, if you take the size, run time, functionality, range and speed it sounds like a fair price given what a much smaller consumer drone would cost.

Everything but run times is on par with DJI inspire 2 and Matrice 600 which is what, like $5k and $7k AUD? I mean the 2 1/2 hours run time makes me wet my pants a little but that is a $20k extra feature. An important feature non the less though 

Wow. At first I thought the drone was only used for locating the victims. I thought they would still have to swim or float to them, still losing allot of precious time.
But seeing it deploy the raft for the surfer to grab on is actually a great idea.
Good to see a test turn into a great success and looks like this concept hes proven what it is worth.

~Joery

Cool demonstration, though it all looks planned to me...

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Absolutely a fantastic use case for the technology. Makes me think about other situations where a rescue team would have a difficult time getting to someone quickly but a drone could give immediate, albeit temporary, support

On 1/18/2018 at 11:48 PM, VegetableStu said:

for some reason I had the image of a multirotor airlifting two boys off the sea in my head ._.

Given the title of the post, I can see why you’d think that, or at least pulling them via rope back to shore.

That looks a lot like a staged video... They didnt look like they were struggling at all.