Boycott Proposal to Improve Gaming

AlTech
2 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

I love how Bethesda isn't included in this list with the 9th release of ESV and it's P2W mechanics in ESO. 

I didn't know there were P2W mechanics in ESO. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

I didn't know there were P2W mechanics in ESO. 

Crowns and it's membership system was a load of bollocks

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

I never noticed

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

A membership system doesn't make it P2W. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I would miss too many great games then. This isn't an important issue to me because quite frankly, I really don't have a problem with it. If a business offers a product that I don't like, I will simply not buy that product, not avoid all their products.

As long as a game isn't pay to win or it is virtually impossible to get gameplay enhancing items without spending money, then I'm totally fine with DLC or loot boxes. Should the game become too dependent on it, then I might just avoid the game but I'm not about to ignore all the other great games over it.

9 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Eh? Considering Wargaming most popular titles are F2P and their paid games are no where near AAA-price, why are you including them in the list? If its due to them getting players to pay for premiums then why isn't Gaijin Entertainment included? (not to mention how its actually a pretty mediocre reason as at least in WOWs, premiums aren't that much better than equivalent tech-tree ships). 

Somebody complained that there are lootboxes in WoWs.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Does not buying modern games because few are good count as boycotting? As it is I only have BF3+4 because I love BF1942+its mods, and they cost $30 each with the majority of their DLC, and most of the games of the same age/newer cost me nothing (Ubisoft and their free-game giveaways) or were "buy one get one free" (so buy an older game, get a newer meh one free)..

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

There are, just like in World of Tanks Blitz. Though arguably they aren't as bad as the more "classic" system in standard WoT, with pay-to-win tanks (or premium tanks that costs several hundred if not thousands of dollars in China's branch), or pay-to-win ammo (Blitz has premium ammo do less damage to balance out the increased effectiveness).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I been thinking about this thread (because I didn't want to just poo poo the idea I actually wanted to think about it).    To be honest if we look back at history and look at how long it has taken to get people to take the environment seriously and think about what they are buying. Despite a major campaign against nestle they are still one of the 5 biggest food corporations in the world.  Despite more than 40 years of trying to save the great barrier reef in Aus. the government is still talking about running oil tankers through it.   Use less power, use less water. Save the forest, save the whales, save the...    and so on.   It seems getting people to actually stop buying/doing things is very hard regardless of whats at stake.    I think your best bet is to start a massive online campaign where the sole goal is to ridicule the practices you want changed and the companies/management that promote it. Make it socially isolating to support such practices.  People are precious about their image,  they would be more worried about being seen as "that guy that bought loot boxes" if such a thing was seen as so socially abnormal that only a selfish child would engage in such practices.

It would have to be a very large on going campaign.   I can't see anything else changing peoples attitudes toward this.

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, -TesseracT- said:

Also, there is no way most people would stop playing and buying games from these companies. Choose yourself: be a gamer and deal with "loot boxes" and microtransactions, or give up gaming. I mean, you even included Nintendo on this list. What the fuck. Then what am I going to play?

MineSweeper

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:43 AM, -TesseracT- said:

But there is no offical way that Valve allows you converting the money in your steam wallet to "real money". 

The reason those are classed a Gambling is that you are getting Real money in return, You may not be able to use it outside Steam but its Actual money none the less which can go towards Software or another game if you So desire via the steam application/Website

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

Alright enough of my stupid comments towards @-TesseracT-, Your  asking people to Boycott Huge game companies to stop them from Continuing down the path of Micro transactions and Loot boxes. I'm really sorry to burst your bubble but that aint gonna change anything until they think the are able to work better with the circumstances they are in.

As Someone stated in a previous post on this thread, Games get Pirated by some people due to it being over expensive or people wanting to try it without wasting money on it before they purchase it (Doubtful). But companies have to do something to counter that. Making the consumer pay more for a game because others pirate it will only cause an increase in pirated games. Removal of Micro transactions and Loot boxes could punish them in the long run for Game Support, Bug Fixes and Improvements, DLC developments etc. 

So until they can combat Pirating that will reduce the lost in Vanilla sales of the product they are gonna need other areas to pick up the slack, That being DLC's, micro transactions or Loot boxes then so be it. 

I Know a lot of people loot at these mechanics as Greed mechanics which in some cases it can be, SW BF2 for example.  But some games have these here as an option and are not forcing you to use it. GTA V shows people that they have shark cards during loading screens but tbh they most likely know very little will look at their TV during a loading screen when playing GTA V. The likes or COD WWII uses loot boxes and shiz and tbh it just a BS. being able to actually get powerful weapons from it and shit. (First seen in COD AW). Destiny 2 as centred around Eververse it is, They don' t sit there and lock things you want behind Here (Dawning and Festival of the Cost has always been centred around her since D1 so can't argue about that) The most she offers is Cosmetics. and Ship/Sparrow skins.

You want to Boycott Publishers and producers for things that some don't have control over. 

BioWare is Producing a game called Anthem to compete against The Division and Destiny in the OpenWorld FPS RPG genre of games. They are being published under EA which has already seen a good looking game get huge backlash. In Games like that it is inevitable that they will have those mechanics in it as they will be ever changing and the RNG will be ever changing. Drops that could have a 5% chance on launch to drop from killing an enemy could have nearly a 0.92% chance to drop when the game nears its End due to the amount of loot added to keep players entertained and wanting to grind. 

Sadly it is very likely people will agree with Boycotting a company but Not many will stick through it. 

I have Bought Destiny 1 & 2, RB6 Siege , OW, PUBG, BF 3,4 and 1, CS:GO, TF2 etc A LOT of games with those mechanics. Do I have problems playing them NO. That's purely because it all comes down to personal impulses. I Get no desire to buy Loot boxes or In game currency to unlock something because I know I can get it at a later date through grinding if I so desire. 

Again this comes to the problem where people are complaining about something that affects their spending habbits and not the majority of others. People have the right to buy those Micro-Transaction or Loot boxes if they feel like it. People can buy the pre-Order set of the game, Buy the Collectors edition of it. It is all down to their choice. 

I bough the preorder Bonus for Halo Wars 2 and I regretted it purely because of how the multiplayer combat went, Would I do it again no. Does that require me to go up in arm? No.

This is all coming from someone that's still going through study and hasn't got a job. So Ya :/ 

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Ermmmm...so the Christmas containers I presume? If so, its only something that happens once or twice in a year, for like a month so its still no where near as bad as lets say CSGO. Thing is, I am probably a bit too baised on this topic as I am someone who spent £30 this Christmas on them and got £100+ worth of premium ships (plus £20+ worth of gold/dubloons and premium time) so I'm how am I supposed to complain? :P 

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

There are, just like in World of Tanks Blitz. Though arguably they aren't as bad as the more "classic" system in standard WoT, with pay-to-win tanks (or premium tanks that costs several hundred if not thousands of dollars in China's branch), or pay-to-win ammo (Blitz has premium ammo do less damage to balance out the increased effectiveness).

It seems that WoT players are getting royally f*cked by WG...while in WoWs, I could do completely nothing and lose and still earn (minimal) credits while using full premium consumables and credit-paid camos (in T6+). Also, since October, WoWs players could have grinded 3 premiums (T3 DD Vampire, T5 BB Oktya Revo and T7 BB Duke of York) and a hella lot of permanent camos for free ;)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I'm still on a four year boycott of EA. I regretfully bought a Ubisoft game when Steep was released.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I would if I did have an issue with DLC and loot boxes outright.

DLC can be done right, look at Ballad of Gay Tony for GTA4, and Far Cry Blood Dragon for FC3.

As for loot boxes, I have no issues with them as long as they’re cosmetic only (such as in Overwatch).  

It’s when games do like EA did with Battlefront 2 is when I have issues.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Comparing to my current blacklist, I only have a couple missmatches:

Activision Blizzard: Activision YES, Blizzard DEPENDS
Square Enix: DEPENDS

The rest of the ones in the original list I've steered away from on a regular basis for the past 3-4 years (at least).

The idea is nice, but having 100-200 people not buy their games (which is an optimistic number) thanks to this proposed boycott will do exactly diddly squat.
If you want to change a multi-billion dollar industry you need to educate the consumers and steer them towards making sensible pruchases. Does the game have microtransactions? Don't buy it. Does the game have pre-release season pass that you will NEED to buy? Don't buy it. Are you preordering? DO NOT PREORDER. Is it a game that is basically re-released every year with little to no actual game added? Don't buy it. Does the game have a bazillion DLC that aren't purely cosmetic? Don't buy it. Are you unsure if the game is worth purchasing? Wait for reviews from trusted sources (NOT IGN). Look for independent reviewers (Total Biscuit, Jim Sterling, Angry Joe, etc.). You may nit like them, but they at least have the common sense to call out shit practices. Not satisfied with a review? Watch/read another one. Still not convinced? "Download the demo"

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I am boycotting the industry because I simply quit altogether. I do not play any video games on any device. I played ~1 hour every day before that radical turn.

I have no plans to return anytime soon and even sold my GPU. I am just done with it. I don't have other devices.

I honestly feel happier now because I got more time and I do not rage about stupid, aggressive or laggy players. :)

46 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

honestly feel happier now because I got more time and I do not rage about stupid, aggressive or laggy players

TBH you could still be happy playing games if you didnt take them seriously(Online wise) Secondly raging is fine. its worse to keep that shit pent up, i simply start ranting when i get annoyed and if it continues i do stupid stuff in game to have 'fun' which is what is wanted by games. To make you have fun relax and not worry. 

Not complaining about your choice to quit gaming more just stating would ya rather bump into a due holding up gaming rage for a couple hrs and snap on you or hear them complain about the problem there and then. To then look back on later.

Or... you know. Just stick to Single Player games and not be angry.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 1/18/2018 at 2:23 AM, AluminiumTech said:
  • Techland

What's this? Dying Light?

Lol they gave you basically an extra game for free with The Following if you had the Ultimate Edition or the pass. Added optional VAC support in multiplayer and constantly handout free in-game items. No loot boxes or anything like that have ever been in it.

They've made free major updates the whole life of it and you can tell they absolutely love the title. Such a good game.

Edit: This is from a few days ago

37 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Or... you know. Just stick to Single Player games and not be angry.

Yeah, I started to realize how good some single player games are. I usually didn't like them. Spec Ops: The Line though had such a powerfull story though, it was a great game, even though I could not describe it as "fun". Its some deep shit.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."