Is is worth buying AMD due to Meltdown/Specter

Due to the recent issues surrounding both Intel and AMD's CPU's is it worth changing build plans and siding with AMD's processor's to avoid performance loss?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated,

Pulpypanda.  

depends on what you need it for.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

The performance loss is so minimal unless you're running a server that I honestly wouldn't care at all.

Just side with whatever is better for you. The whole meltdown spectre thing won't impact performance enough to matter.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I would say yes, it's worth switching. At least you know for sure what you'll get from AMD.

It's still unclear how much the performance impact will be on Intel cpu's because not all the patches are available yet but first signs aren't great.

That doesn't mean AMD won't have any performance hits due to patches tho, but because it doesn't need a fix for meltdown and Intel does we can be sure the impact will be a lot bigger for Intel. The fix for specter should only cause a very small impact, meltdown is the one that causes the "30% performance hit" headlines.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

depends on what you need it for.

Lets assume a multi-purpose  station. I.e mid range editing and gaming.

Sorry for not qualifying. :D

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

meltdown is the one that causes the "30% performance hit" headlines.

And that was basically worst case scenario. The performance hit is on syscalls, and in stuff like gaming and content creation the impact is next to nothing. The only thing I've seen impacted even somewhat relevant to consumers is SSD performance. Really the big impacts are when it comes to servers.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

There's no performance degradation unless you're running specific server workloads.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

And that was basically worst case scenario. The performance hit is on syscalls, and in stuff like gaming and content creation the impact is next to nothing. The only thing I've seen impacted even somewhat relevant to consumers is SSD performance. Really the big impacts are when it comes to servers.

Makes sense because that 30% is only going to be taken off the top end in any case, which would be seen in a server setting due to the high work loads.

6 minutes ago, Pulpypanda said:

Makes sense because that 30% is only going to be taken off the top end in any case, which would be seen in a server setting due to the high work loads.

That was one server load out of 10 or so tested. None of the others came out to be that drastic. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

13 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

That was one server load out of 10 or so tested. None of the others came out to be that drastic. 

Sounds like a one sided biased statement. 9 out of 10 are fine, but they focus on that 1 with special circumstances.

37 minutes ago, Pulpypanda said:

Due to the recent issues surrounding both Intel and AMD's CPU's is it worth changing build plans and siding with AMD's processor's to avoid performance loss?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated,

Pulpypanda.  

EDIT I read the OP wrong, shame shame shame

Yes, CPUs are still worth buying even after the patches. Some workloads are affected but they affect CPUs from both manufacturers.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

More so than anything from Intel yes, for several reasons, not just this latest one. Though wait for March. There's going to be a few more unfortunate slip ups for Intel around then too.

My Cpu is so old when I get A new one a 30% performance hit would still be easly 2-3x faster then what i am running

Nah, they slow for gaming.

The patch on Intel CPUs only leads to <1% less performance in gaming.

Spectre also affects AMD.

Everyone is over reacting to this, its nowhere near as big a deal as its being made out to be.

Linus is my fetish.

My advice is to buy the best CPU you can afford.  It doesn't matter if it's AMD or Intel and the latest security bugs don't really change that*.   I routinely ignore anyone who uses speculative or assumptive reasons not to buy a particular product,  E.G Intel was anti consumer in 2009 or AMD overheats and kills baby seals for their thermal paste.  Those types of comments just aren't reflective of actual products only emotional responses to brands,  Use your wallet to vote for the better product at the end of the day.  You'll be happier with a better product and it should drive companies to make a better product if they want the sales.

*you could buy AMD only to find 3 months down the road they have something worse lurking in their design. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

54 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Nah, they slow for gaming.

The patch on Intel CPUs only leads to <1% less performance in gaming.

Spectre also affects AMD.

Everyone is over reacting to this, its nowhere near as big a deal as its being made out to be.

Wat?

Unless you're still using 1080p, resolutions above couldn't care less which brand of CPU you're using since it's the GPU that matters at that point.

13 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Wat?

Unless you're still using 1080p, resolutions above couldn't care less which brand of CPU you're using since it's the GPU that matters at that point.

And even if you were using 1080,  If you had issues playing any game, I highly doubt it would be a ryzen causing them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Get ryzen or wait a few months (looking like April ). not because of meltdown but because of this

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Is it worth it? Depends on what you're doing.

If you were thinking of intel before the whole hack/exploit thing I'd say just go with intel. Not going to be much difference either way; maybe like a few % in a few games with a high end GPU.

It is still too early to tell just how big of a performance hit we're going to see because of specter and meltdown.

I would say that if you are buying a pc primarily for gaming and web browsing; the greater single threaded performance of intel cpu's still really make them the best choice as long as you can get the latest gen at their msrp, get an overclockable i7 or i5, and indeed overclock it.

If you have other work loads that better utilize multiple threads, or streaming, or if you can't find intel CPUs at MSRP, or don't plan on overclocking, or plan on getting something lower end than i5, then i would either wait or get AMD.

AMD is less affected than Intel.

Benching my system before vs after = no change

benching 5700HQ before vs after = ~10% less performance

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Can you guys move this discussion to a PM before a mod locks the thread? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

alright.. this isn't a this vs that, but the effects of the performance after patch applications.

lisa, out..

snip

Even with the slight performance hits in gaming (Steve at Hardware Unboxed noted that many games weren't affected, but some could see as much as a 4% hit or so), Intel would still be quite ahead in gaming, even on their cheaper chips if you're looking at Coffee Lake.

So if gaming is your primary concern, Intel will still give you better performance even with the patches.

That said, if editing is your primary concern, Ryzen would give you much better value for less money since an R5-1600 outpaces an 8600K in workloads that can use 12 threads, for example.

As with before the patch, which CPU you should buy just depends on what you want to do. Desktop users aren't getting hit very hard except on high-end SSD performance.

Gaming? Intel.

Working? Ryzen.

Both? See above, and choose which is most important.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060