The true cost of the sum of Destiny 2's Eververse items has been revealed and the numbers aren't good!

AlTech

This is slightly old news but it needs to come to light.

Some YouTubers have calculated how much the sum of the cost of all the items in Destiny 2's Eververse is.

This was no small easy feat mind you because of the cost of Lootboxes and the randomized loot from Loot boxes. The range of value from each loot box could vary wildly so much that in one box you could end up with 4x more than another person opening the same type of box.

The youtubers calculated how much bright dust is required to buy the items in the Eververse using calculations from the loot boxes.

They then found out how much each item costs in Bright Dust using the most optimal way of converting.

What they found was shocking. The sum of the costs of all the items within a single Destiny 2 Season cost $155-$5824.09 USD. That's a huge range. The RNG factor in lootboxes are not in your favor.

But of course the game wasn't designed to run only through 1 season. It was meant to last 3 years with 4 seasons each and so we have 12 seasons across the game's lifespan.

So get ready cos the numbers are not looking good at all. For all 12 seasons the rough costs are between $1860-$63409.08 USD.

As YongYea points out, It's unlikely that people will end up at either extreme. And so the arithmetic mean of the numbers was found: $2719.55 USD for a single season.

This translates to $32634.60 USD for 3 years worth of content.

This all assumes the value of 1 engram at $1.38 USD.

Of course, this is still too generous. And the maths has been done for how long this could take you if you didn't pay a dime and gained XP to do this. And for those of you who try to play without spending money, I'll just say give up now cos it would take 4.57 years worth of gameplay time to get you all content across the 3 years of Destiny 2's lifespan.

Which basically means it's impossible to earn all the items in Destiny 2's Eververse for free. You just can't earn everything in Destiny 2 for free on top of the $60 USD price for the base game.

And of course, the "it's just optional" or "it's just cosmetics" are not valid excuses.

And of course, the Eververse is never going away.... The listing on Bungie's site for XP Design system involving monetization is no longer available. Which as YongYea points out either means that there was PR backlash from that or that Bungie was able to hire someone to fill that role. I highly suspect it's the latter and not the former although that is a very scary thought for potential Destiny 3 players if Destiny 3 is ever made. 

So yeah, Destiny 2's Eververse is just a greedy nasty paywall  and frankly Bungie should just confess they've done wrong and stop with the excessive milking.

Remember people, Activision Blizzard are greedy. They don't care about you. They will do anything to get your money. Even if it causes you pain and suffering.

You should care about your money. And you should rebel.

9e380909-c2cf-46b5-97bd-286ce051e47b.png

Source:

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

that's cheap AF, for how expensive game production as come, asking 10000 out of the millions required to make the game it's like they're asking for pennies.

/s

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

that's cheap AF, for how expensive game production as come, asking 10000 out of the millions required to make the game it's like they're asking for pennies.

GTA cost 137 million dollars to make according wikipedia, and you can earn everything in game, though it is a grind so it definetely isnt cheap AF. Though I feel like I'm feeding a troll.

Winning an argument with a woman step by step

step one - talk to her

step two - fight with her for 2 hours even if you are really right

step three - admit that she is right for the sake of your safety

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

/s

AAA Games in 2118,  Game Publisher: That'll be $59 Million Dollars and 99 cents please.

/joke

But seriously, these compares just greedy scum. They don't need people's money this badly.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, henkka_scorpio said:

GTA cost 137 million dollars to make according wikipedia, and you can earn everything in game, though it is a grind so it definetely isnt cheap AF. Though I feel like I'm feeding a troll.

You missed the sarcasm indicator (They posted /s at the bottom).

Rockstar has made back their money probably 20 times over at this point with how much money GTAO makes.

Just now, henkka_scorpio said:

137M? damn, how have they stayed afloat with just 50$ a copy? the should be asking 100000 minimum

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

137M? damn, how have they stayed afloat with just 50$ a copy? the should be asking 100000 minimum

Actually, it's $60 USD per copy and yes I know you're being sarcastic.

I've heard many horror stories of people buying shark cards for GTAO. Especially people under the age of 18.

although i agree with all of this i want to include the rng is an absolute joke. im not innocent in spending real money for loot boxes in game and i realize im part of the problem. but i also feel like if i really enjoy doing something then its ok to spend a little money to support the devs and hope for better content in the future... although my mentality changed towards destinys loot boxes after i spent $50 dollars i had in my paypal account trying to get a ship i really wante. 50 dollars later no ship and i had so many duplicates that i was able to get enough bright dust to buy it assuming i didnt miss it the week before. 

TLDR: support devs that you enjoy playing their games........ dont spend a dime on bungies loot boxes until they figure out a better way to implement it or get a system in place that you wont get F**ked by rng

I played destiny and play destiny 2 I haven't paid a penny. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

its about as bad as getting everything in Paladins, Paladins is around 2.3 years if you play 3h every day and dont get any duplicates of anything and there is always new champions, cosmetics and so on added almost every patch, but hey at least you can play without card levels in competative and one gamemode!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

I played destiny and play destiny 2 I haven't paid a penny. 

And are you enjoying it?

14 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

And are you enjoying it?

Very much so but that is probably down to only a few hours a week for playing due to work. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Lootboxes and microtransactions are why I mostly just play indie and older AAA games now. They really slippery sloped the entire gaming community over the last 14 years. From 5 to 20 dollar expansion packs to 40 to 60 dollar season passes to all of the above plus microtransactions.

Even singleplayer games like Shadow of War and AssCreed Origins have microtransactions and season passes now lol. You used to just have to find or unlock the cheat codes, now the only cheat code is your credit card number.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually, it's $60 USD per copy and yes I know you're being sarcastic.

I've heard many horror stories of people buying shark cards for GTAO. Especially people under the age of 18.

It's like we've returned to the arcade era of gaming where games are designed to milk you as hard as they can, only these days it's a lot more than a $.25 a pop

4 hours ago, henkka_scorpio said:

and GTA 5 Sold 85 million Copies. at an average Cost of $2.00 a copy they would still have made profit.   at $30 average a Copy they made $2,550,000,000.00  ( 2.5 Billion) 

Though Its # 3 as the most sold game ever so that # is crazy and doesnt apply to other games. 

But its not hard to recoupe the money spent on production if the game dose even just okay  Most decent sized games are from 20 million - 60 million in production costs and many of the Huge titles do surpass that but they are ones that are projected to sell 10 million + Copies and usually do over 500 million in revenue even.  Really if you can Sell 2-3 million copies you can cover the cost of some pretty expensive ass games. selling 1 million can cover most.

Publishers are more profitable today then ever if you look into it. 

4 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

/s

2 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

and GTA 5 Sold 85 million Copies. at an average Cost of $2.00 a copy they would still have made profit.   at $30 average a Copy they made $2,550,000,000.00  ( 2.5 Billion) 

That's not really how the math works. They don't get all $60 per copy and there are other additional costs associated with distribution. Of course, they still made/make a ton of money.

6 hours ago, ADM-Ntek said:

as a star citizen that's cute.

Does Star Citizen use loot boxes? Last I checked the Game Packages are designed to give you a jump-start with a better ship. Which isn't nearly as bad in my eyes.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

15 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

Does Star Citizen use loot boxes? Last I checked the Game Packages are designed to give you a jump-start with a better ship. Which isn't nearly as bad in my eyes.

well as someone that spend quite a bit on SC let me tell you having a better ship makes you massively superior. the most common starter is the aurora 20-30$. and even against my freelancer 125$ it is powerless. and that is still a relatively small ship. the javelin costs 3000$ and there are people that have several.

19 hours ago, Vanderburg said:

That's not really how the math works. They don't get all $60 per copy and there are other additional costs associated with distribution. Of course, they still made/make a ton of money.

Nope its not. But They also Claimed more then 50% of there Profit was from Micro Transations GTA 5 was a gold mine for them. 

Most get closer to $30-40  depending on the amount of Publishers/ Developers and Sellers cuts. each games somewhat different to a degree. 

It sad that we still need the /s at the end cause some still can't tell the difference. Much like movies and books they have to write "The End or Fin", cause otherwise they will be sitting at the theather for all eternity, thinking there is still more to it. These people are so f*cking stupid.  If you were to paint a red line along the edge of a cliff, and put a sign that says "safe to walk", they will actually do it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 1/11/2018 at 7:35 AM, AluminiumTech said:

But seriously, these compares just greedy scum. They don't need people's money this badly.

Money remaining in the consumer's pocket is simply money that the business has failed to (or rather, yet to) pilfer 9_9.