[UPDATE] Intel gets multiple class action lawsuits over CPU vulnerability

5 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I also read a story about the Van Allen Belts and America detonating a nuclear device among them back in the 1960s. Because messing with what we only just discovered, and could potentially impact all of life, is a great idea.

It didn't have any chance of impacting all life. Or even a small proportion of life even in LNT cases... but certainly it was a strong observation of the EM effects of such tests. At least it was done in the 60s when we didn't actually rely much on satellites compared to today. 

[I'm a NE by profession and education.]

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I know this is going to sound awful, but the reality is that a lot of the rest of the world just shakes their head at the state of the USA at the moment.  There are pockets of supporters here and there, but for the most part the universal response is disbelief.  

As someone who lives in the USA, a good amount of us here also seem to be in that same state of disbelief. It's seriously gotten pretty damn ridiculous here and is, in no small amount, terrifying.

seeing how apple is being sued this is no surprise to me

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

24 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I know this is going to sound awful, but the reality is that a lot of the rest of the world just shakes their head at the state of the USA at the moment.  There are pockets of supporters here and there, but for the most part the universal response is disbelief.  

And that's fine by me.

The world needs a new "leader".

Omf people...

Intel doesn’t claim x performance in y benchmark because they’re not stupid. They’ll show graphs where this CPU performed x perfect better than last gen under their own test results with a massive disclaimer saying your results may be different 

We bought the CPU at x clockspeed at y architecture and that’s what we have. Intel doesn’t guarantee performance and if they didn’t know about the security flaw they couldn’t have done anything about it. 

I really dont see this case going anywhere...

That's an F in the profile pic

9 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Omf people...

Intel doesn’t claim x performance in y benchmark because they’re not stupid. They’ll show graphs where this CPU performed x perfect better than last gen under their own test results with a massive disclaimer saying your results may be different 

We bought the CPU at x clockspeed at y architecture and that’s what we have. Intel doesn’t guarantee performance and if they didn’t know about the security flaw they couldn’t have done anything about it. 

I really dont see this case going anywhere...

Where there's angry people and corporations, there's lawyers.

Welp, a lawsuit was going to happen, even if it's for a reason that makes little sense. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

'Murica, where you can sue for everything without understanding anything.

The whole world is run on bullshit im sure of it.

2 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Cool, more reasons to boycott them.

who? Garcia?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

CB56F4E0-17A8-4EE7-A41E-7AFAF4C7E2C6.gif.bd020410f2d18a22544069b6c1a3834c.gif

-AMD shareholders 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, RefresherMan said:

How is this fraud when it's a bug? Am I missing something here?

My take on it would be they knowingly released 'new' processors with the same problem, after Intel had been told of the problem and had time to investigate it, and without disclosing to those buying it that they may have a performance hit from this being fixed.

I know why they didn't tell anyone at the time, but that is still a somewhat shitty thing to do. I can understand why those people who bought a new processor after Intel were advised and had time to investigate could be pissed off by that.

(Tinfoil hat time) I can imagine some people wondering if at least a small part of why coffeelake ended up being brought forward by a few months was to get it released before this became public knowledge.

13 minutes ago, IntMD said:

(Tinfoil hat time)

Wanna bet that intel known about it even earlier? I just cant believe that a huge pile of top notch engineers overlook a serious flaw for 20 years straight... 9_9

10 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Wanna bet that intel known about it even earlier? I just cant believe that a huge pile of top notch engineers overlook a serious flaw for 20 years straight... 9_9

Hey, look at how many people maintain Linux, and Torvalds' own bad code responsible for Dirty COW had been in production for 6 years.

Brilliant people only have to trust each other and miss one tiny detail for things like this to happen.

25 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

Hey, look at how many people maintain Linux, and Torvalds' own bad code responsible for Dirty COW had been in production for 6 years.

Brilliant people only have to trust each other and miss one tiny detail for things like this to happen.

It's not just brilliant people, it's all people and the nature of the beast.    You can't fix a mistake you don't know exists no matter how smart you are.  We just have to look at the errata on any CPU to see how many issues get overlooked during design and testing.  And they are just the issues that get picked up because something failed to work the way it should.    It's anyone's guess how many bugs of equivalent size still exist. 

It's really quite sad how quick people are to assume the engineers should have picked this up, upon what rational is that kind of assumption based? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

It's not just brilliant people, it's all people and the nature of the beast.    You can't fix a mistake you don't know exists no matter how smart you are.  We just have to look at the errata on any CPU to see how many issues get overlooked during design and testing.  And they are just the issues that get picked up because something failed to work the way it should.    It's anyone's guess how many bugs of equivalent size still exist. 

It's really quite sad how quick people are to assume the engineers should have picked this up, upon what rational is that kind of assumption based? 

Well, you could by mistake. It's happened to me before during code reviews.

Just now, Bit_Guardian said:

Well, you could by mistake. It's happened to me before during code reviews.

I would like to get stand up maths to do an episode on the number of bugs any one CPU is likely to have and the odds of the engineers both discovering and.or fixing by accident any one bug.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSju5G2aFaWMqn-_0YBtq5A

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Really dont see how intel or other cpu manufactuerers could be blamed for this if its taken this long for the exploit to be discovered

3 minutes ago, TheOriginalHero said:

Really dont see how intel or other cpu manufactuerers could be blamed for this if its taken this long for the exploit to be discovered

Some people think manufacturers are infallible and thus when something goes wrong it must be intentional.

6 hours ago, Drak3 said:

'Murica, where you can sue for everything without understanding anything.

Hey people sued God, Jesus and the Moon there just to prove a point about their justice system, either ways this lawsuit is obviously going no where.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Although, time for more tin foil... Just how much of Skylake is still the old "Core" arch if this flaw affects every gen since? I mean it's obvious Intel has plenty of tech up its sleeve for the future. The chief executives and engineers aren't fools. That said, how much have all these "new" architectures since really done to be fundamentally different as per Intel's tick-tock marketing materials?

Is there any "reliable" sources that Intel knew about this before 2017?

5 minutes ago, xteron said:

Is there any "reliable" sources that Intel knew about this before 2017?

Not that I've seen.  The earliest known mention is in June when google security discovered it and told AMD, ARM, VIA and Intel.

EDIT: I am guessing they probably also told Apple and MS seeing as they are both working on the fixes.