Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

As for price increases, I don't think it's that big if an issue. Low cost PC's will likely die out as most people can do what they'd use those for on their phones.

Pretty much, my Mom don't use a computer but use her phone to do browsing and video streaming.  Same with my Aunt, same with both of my Uncles (one just got a smartphone and already could care less about using his desktop any more), and many other people I come across on a daily basis who use their phones and could care less about needing a desktop for such tasks.

Desktops are more or less going either the niche areas like gaming and video stream broadcasting for the basic consumer, and on the business side, desktops are for production.  Heck, I work IT sometimes military side.  They are slowly moving from desktops and laptops over to thin clients that fit in your hand.  Saves cost and far easier to manage on the admin side when the OS is only a VM image floating on a server (something goes wrong, blow the image out and reload a good one).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 12/15/2017 at 3:42 PM, NumLock21 said:

Excluding discrete gpus, Intel cpus also contains a Intel iGPU. Can't really slap a Intel Inside sticker with a system that running on a Intel cpu that has a AMD iGPU.

Why? Product is still owned by Intel. As said before, they still called the C6 RS6 an Audi even though the engine is derived from Lamborghini. So that's a nonsensical argument.

On 12/15/2017 at 6:18 PM, PocketNerd said:

They contain onboard intel GPUs, and seeing as AMD is in the business of onboard GPUs, puts them in direct competition.

I don't see why you fail to understand this?

Ahhh I see it now. It's because you've got the context wrong.

You know that the integrated graphics Intel currently uses has nothing to do with AMD right?

On 12/15/2017 at 6:40 PM, Ithanul said:

Pretty much, my Mom don't use a computer but use her phone to do browsing and video streaming.  Same with my Aunt, same with both of my Uncles (one just got a smartphone and already could care less about using his desktop any more), and many other people I come across on a daily basis who use their phones and could care less about needing a desktop for such tasks.

Desktops are more or less going either the niche areas like gaming and video stream broadcasting for the basic consumer, and on the business side, desktops are for production.  Heck, I work IT sometimes military side.  They are slowly moving from desktops and laptops over to thin clients that fit in your hand.  Saves cost and far easier to manage on the admin side when the OS is only a VM image floating on a server (something goes wrong, blow the image out and reload a good one).

Yeah, I could see my mom doing the same. She can do pretty much everything she needs to do off of a tablet. Now that she has a smartphone I imagine a lot of it will shift to that.

That makes perfect sense for a military application, and frankly I'm surprised it took them this long to switch over.

I think laptops will take over first. I mean, that's what I'm using now, and I haven't had a PC for quite a while. I can do absolutely everything I need, though I still want to build a desktop to do some proper gaming.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

13 hours ago, dizmo said:

That makes perfect sense for a military application, and frankly I'm surprised it took them this long to switch over.

I think laptops will take over first. I mean, that's what I'm using now, and I haven't had a PC for quite a while. I can do absolutely everything I need, though I still want to build a desktop to do some proper gaming.

Actually, we already on laptops in deployed environments.  I seen some bases already over on NUCs.  I mostly only see desktops when they are old desktops waiting on a budget refresh for an unit, or the few career fields like weather or intel that require the big Xeon stations.

It takes a while on military systems to switch builds.  Each build and hardware build requires validation and paperwork to be allowed onto the network (varies by length depending on the network and specific stacks).  Main reason a W10 build just been released for certain networks (and, it has been a pain to rollout).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

this sucks i guess?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 12/15/2017 at 7:15 PM, ashypanda said:

time for AMD to step up, and offer discounts for complete AMD systems, intel's market share will take a ginormous hit.

Unless the reason to ditch it is that this marketing strategy no longer works, which could mean it doesn't work for Intel in particular, or that it does no longer work for anyone in this industry...

In the end, companies live out of profits, not market shares, and I'm not sure subsidizing beige black boxes would be that profitable for AMD. Market share tactics work as a first step when you can later exploit it to hike margins up. I don't see AMD charging Intel margins in the near future in order to justify the investment.

(Plus the whole idea came about at a time of higher competition in the CPU market, with Intel trying to establish itself as the "quality brand" and justify not being the cheapest (sort of Apple's "when you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone" campaign). I don't think the current position of the AMD brand could be turned in that direction with an expensive "sticker subsidy" campaign...

50 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Unless the reason to ditch it is that this marketing strategy no longer works, which could mean it doesn't work for Intel in particular, or that it does no longer work for anyone in this industry...

In the end, companies live out of profits, not market shares, and I'm not sure subsidizing beige black boxes would be that profitable for AMD. Market share tactics work as a first step when you can later exploit it to hike margins up. I don't see AMD charging Intel margins in the near future in order to justify the investment.

(Plus the whole idea came about at a time of higher competition in the CPU market, with Intel trying to establish itself as the "quality brand" and justify not being the cheapest (sort of Apple's "when you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone" campaign). I don't think the current position of the AMD brand could be turned in that direction with an expensive "sticker subsidy" campaign...

The Intel Inside marketing could easily have been dropped 5 or even 10 years ago. I have no idea why they ditch it now. The Intel brand has been rock solid for decades but especially in the last decade with a de facto monopoly. It's only now that Intel's brand is starting to face adversity (competition is starting to appear and things are pivoting ever so slightly) which makes the timing all the more odd. Perhaps it's an antitrust precaution. Now that AMD is revving up they'll give them some room to maneuver to avoid lawsuits or perhaps it's to comply with previous rulings (we know Intel has been delaying doing as they're told).

AMD has no money to spare for subsidized marketing and the brand isn't strong enough to make it worthwhile. At this point I'd wager the average consumer is more likely to steer clear of a product with 'AMD Inside' which would make things backfire if they were to do such a push.

On 12/15/2017 at 1:59 PM, dizmo said:

Interesting, didn't know they did that. Though it makes sense. It also makes sense to me that they're greatly reducing the expenditure, since they're ready seen as "the cpu", much like people see Samsung and Android as the same thing. Plus they've gained a significant portion of the market. The need to keep forking out cash to promote their name is rather unnecessary now. 

As for price increases, I don't think it's that big if an issue. Low cost PC's will likely die out as most people can do what they'd use those for on their phones. 

You mean CPUs? Even if it has an Intel CPU and AMD GPU, it'll still say Intel Inside. They're not competing in the GPU space ;)

I'm not. AMD has improved greatly but still has a long way to go. It'll be am exciting few years for sure. 

Haha, I don't think marketing is ever considered a feature ;)

cant hold a tablet without regular people calling it an iPad. Even the NFL with Surface Everywhere Written on everything and a deal in place a announcer called it an ipad.