Is there any actual reason to get a Nintendo Switch?

Underi

I mean like seriously. 350 euros so that you can play paintball, Zelda and Mario Kart on the move? I don't see any good reason to get a switch, most of the games are playable on my PS4 or PC already.

I've been searching for good reasons to get it, but the console has only a few exclusives and those are either indie games or nintendos own ones. I don't want to pay 350 euros so that I can play 3-4 Nintendo Exclusives. Not mentioning that those games will rise the price to ~500 euros. Also backwards compatibility would've been nice. Games like Rocket League, Skyrim, Minecraft, Steep, Dragon Ball Xenoverse and Lego Worlds are already available on PC and major next-gen consoles.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

It's all about portability. Sometimes I don't have access to my gaming PC and I want truly portable gaming. Mobile gaming is horrible and Switch is now my best option for this. This isn't meant to compete with a gaming PC IMO it's meant to compliment it. Price is relative, I got my Switch for £260 with BOTW and that's not a lot of money. If your budget is more tight and you don't need the portability then it probably doesn't make sense to buy one.

5950 - 3090 - 32gb - Aorus FV43U - Steam Deck - Fuji xPro 3 - Olympus OM1 n

There is no real reason to get any console :D

Having said that, you buy Nintendo for their games and some 3rd party stuff. More is coming out (Odyssey is great!).

The switch does what it promises in their cheesy commercials, good handheld performance. I think i play 80% of the time that way.

This might depend on your situation, but mine with a full household it usually turns out that way.

You probably shouldn't buy a Switch yet unless you're absolutely dying to play Super Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild. Most consoles are bad buys until year 3 or so because of weak game selection, but this is especially the case with the Switch since it's such weak hardware that it gets really limited support for modern AAA games. That said I probably would buy one if they'd release the virtual console already because I would love to play SNES games on a portable and I don't want to pay $200 for a New 3DS when the Switch has a much better screen for $100 more. Not that I think the Switch is a great deal, more like the New 3DS feels like highway robbery at $200 to play SNES games. But I really want portable SNES games and am willing to overlook the threadbare game catalog on the Switch if I can get it.

But I'm guessing Nintendo is delaying the VC because they're going to make it some shit subscription service they'll launch with the paid online service. In that case Nintendo can go fuck themselves and I'll buy a used PSP and install an emulator to play SNES games handheld.

7 hours ago, Underi said:

350 euros so that you can play paintball, Zelda and Mario Kart

Yeah, that's all the reason I need. I bought a Nintendo system to play Nintendo games. I barely even use the portable features. If you don't care for Nintendo games, then yes, you can play everything else on another platform and this platform isn't for you.

Well I'm afraid that Switch will not support that many 3rd party games, nintendo consoles never really have. You don't see Battlefield 1, PUBG, Witcher 3 or other AAA titles on ANY nintendo consoles. The portability is obviously great, but 3DS already exists. That's why I would want the backwards compatibility, soon I'll have a console for every game developer and genre.

My stuff:

Spoiler

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Seeing the trailer for Shin Megami Tensei V might have convinced me to buy one of these. But I'm going to wait until January for the Nintendo Direct show to see if it'll be a 2018 release. If it's 2019 I'll probably wait another year.

45 minutes ago, Underi said:

Well I'm afraid that Switch will not support that many 3rd party games, nintendo consoles never really have. You don't see Battlefield 1, PUBG, Witcher 3 or other AAA titles on ANY nintendo consoles.

There are plenty of 3rd party games on Nintendo systems. Just because they're not big budget titles doesn't mean anything

3 hours ago, Underi said:

Well I'm afraid that Switch will not support that many 3rd party games, nintendo consoles never really have. You don't see Battlefield 1, PUBG, Witcher 3 or other AAA titles on ANY nintendo consoles. The portability is obviously great, but 3DS already exists. That's why I would want the backwards compatibility, soon I'll have a console for every game developer and genre.

Of course those didn't go on the Wii U. That thing didn't sell well and wasn't worth the investing of porting to. Early indications of third party support on Switch is great, but you also already said you don't care about third parties in the OP anyway with Skyrim, Doom, Wolfenstein II etc., since you can play them on PC or PS4, so I'm confused why you're bringing up concern here.

That's like saying PS4 is great but PS3 already exists. The Switch is going to eventually replace 3DS. The thing I'm surprised about is that it immediately replaced the Wii U too. Has there been anything on that since Zelda?

I highly doubt it'll ever get any sort of physical backwards compatibility. Or even software, transferring you digital 3DS or Wii U games to it. Different architecture. The best you're going to get is emulated re-releases (virtual console) that you'll have to repurchase. There's some Neo Geo and maybe one or two Nintendo arcade games on the eShop. This aspect hasn't really taken off yet. Nintendo announced some retro game subscription that's tied to their fee-based online service, but the details of that has yet to surface and multiplayer remains free.

12 hours ago, ono said:

Of course those didn't go on the Wii U. That thing didn't sell well and wasn't worth the investing of porting to. Early indications of third party support on Switch is great, but you also already said you don't care about third parties in the OP anyway with Skyrim, Doom, Wolfenstein II etc., since you can play them on PC or PS4, so I'm confused why you're bringing up concern here.

That's like saying PS4 is great but PS3 already exists. The Switch is going to eventually replace 3DS. The thing I'm surprised about is that it immediately replaced the Wii U too. Has there been anything on that since Zelda?

I highly doubt it'll ever get any sort of physical backwards compatibility. Or even software, transferring you digital 3DS or Wii U games to it. Different architecture. The best you're going to get is emulated re-releases (virtual console) that you'll have to repurchase. There's some Neo Geo and maybe one or two Nintendo arcade games on the eShop. This aspect hasn't really taken off yet. Nintendo announced some retro game subscription that's tied to their fee-based online service, but the details of that has yet to surface and multiplayer remains free.

Yes that is true. I am not interested in the games because I can play them already with a device I have. I'd rather play Pokemon on 3DS when on the move than buy a Swich just to play skyrim in the bus. PS3 is no longer supported because it is so old, the same is with DSi and 3DS. 3DS replaced the older one and services got shut down. But I don't see a dual screen on the Switch. I would probably buy a Switch if newer generation Pokemon games come on the Switch and not 3DS. But not 400 euros. That's just absurd. I also wonder how Nintendo will implement or replace the dual screen combo that Pokemon games have used for the last 10 years. You won't be having a minimap available all the time and other stuff that the touch screen was used for on the DS.

My stuff:

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Underi said:

And the Switch exists in that massive space between the 3DS and the PS4. The 3DS has never been a platform for "big" games of any sort, third party or otherwise. The Switch has games like Zelda, Mario, Doom, Skyrim, Xenoblade and LA Noire with stuff like Bayonetta, Metroid Prime 4 and Wolfenstein on the horizon. And as someone who did have a Wii U I wouldn't completely discount the appeal of multiplayer games like Splatoon, Arms and Mario Kart. It's a portable console in the way that the PS4 isn't and it's a system for full sized games in the way that the 3DS isn't.

Really, the Switch has the top two ranked games on metacritic from this year (Mario & Zelda). Early next year it's getting a port of one of the highest rated games from 2014 nobody played because it was a Wii U exclusive (Bayonetta 2). In addition to that it's getting the 4th game in the series for one of the highest rated games of all time (Metroid Prime 4). Then to ram the point home it already has the best selling game franchises ever (Mario Kart) and will next year get the second highest (Pokemon). All in the first two years. So those area the reasons people are getting the Switch.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

56 minutes ago, skywake said:

Early next year it's getting a port of one of the highest rated games from 2014 nobody played because it was a Wii U exclusive (Bayonetta 2).

Nice, February 16th.

On 12/6/2017 at 6:14 AM, SpriteNo5 said:

It's all about portability. Sometimes I don't have access to my gaming PC and I want truly portable gaming. Mobile gaming is horrible and Switch is now my best option for this. This isn't meant to compete with a gaming PC IMO it's meant to compliment it. Price is relative, I got my Switch for £260 with BOTW and that's not a lot of money. If your budget is more tight and you don't need the portability then it probably doesn't make sense to buy one.

Portability for darn sure.  Main reason I love mine.  Also, throw a game in and fire it right up.

Plus, Xenoblade Chronicles 2.  I am playing this darn game almost everyday.  Been a while since I game each day.

7 hours ago, Underi said:

I also wonder how Nintendo will implement or replace the dual screen combo that Pokemon games have used for the last 10 years. You won't be having a minimap available all the time and other stuff that the touch screen was used for on the DS.

Pokemon did not start with dual screens.  Blue/Red, Gold/Silver, and Ruby/Sapphire only used one screen.  So, Nintendo can easily move back to one screen.  Plus, the latest Pokemon games have such small maps as is compare to the older games. 

They probably can do the mini map like the one in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 where you have the small circle map in the right, and you can press in the left stick to blow the map up on screen to a bigger one.  And that game has far larger maps than a Pokemon game.

23 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Seeing the trailer for Shin Megami Tensei V might have convinced me to buy one of these. But I'm going to wait until January for the Nintendo Direct show to see if it'll be a 2018 release. If it's 2019 I'll probably wait another year.

Yep, I saw the trailer too.  Tokyo Mirage FE is awesome on its gameplay mechanics for a game that is a spin off the of Shin Megami Tensei line.  So, I am down for another Shin Megami Tensei game.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

10 hours ago, Underi said:

PS3 is no longer supported because it is so old, the same is with DSi and 3DS. 3DS replaced the older one and services got shut down. But I don't see a dual screen on the Switch. I would probably buy a Switch if newer generation Pokemon games come on the Switch and not 3DS.

That's going to eventually be the situation. Eventually the 3DS well will dry up and you'll only get new Switch games going forward when 3DS is old, as you say. It is only year one of Switch this hasn't happened yet, so yes, you're fine and will get new games on the 3DS for another year, probably two. The new gen of Pokemon has been announced on Switch, but as they didn't show any footage and just talked about it on a Direct, it is probably far off. It is unclear if it will also get a 3DS version, but I'm guessing it is unlikely since it is probably far enough in the future that such a version is warranted on an old handheld. Since you're a Pokemon fan, you'll eventually will want one. Just not right now.

Why would you want to buy a PS4 or Xbox there just becoming PC with crap software and less game you might save a little in short term but you have to pay for online and games are more expensive. 

The switch is something different it isn't just another PS4 or Xbox it's actually portable and while the switch and a PC bouth play games that's about all they have in common.

15 hours ago, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

Why would you want to buy a PS4 or Xbox there just becoming PC with crap software and less game you might save a little in short term but you have to pay for online and games are more expensive. 

The switch is something different it isn't just another PS4 or Xbox it's actually portable and while the switch and a PC bouth play games that's about all they have in common.

The PS4 has some amazing games that aren't on PC. I play my PS4 all the time even though it's a complete piece of crap compared to my PC at a hardware level. PS4 has some unreal exclusives like Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us, Uncharted 1-4, Ratchet & Clank, etc. And Nioh for PC kind of came out of nowhere, it looked like it would be a PS4 exclusive when I bought it ten months ago. I don't want to wait until 2019 or 2020 to play Red Dead Redemption 2 and Kingdom Hearts 3, which is probably a best case for a PC release. I wish I didn't have to buy a PS4 to play these games since my PC is worlds more powerful, but I want access to all the best exclusives (and then play multiplats on my PC).

I guess you have to be more into single player games than multiplayer to find the consoles worth buying. In 2017 the consoles have absolutely murdered the PC for single player games. For MP I'll concede the consoles suck with sub 60 fps refresh rates and no mouse & keyboard plus paid online. If I was mostly into Battlefield, COD, PUBG, Overwatch, CS:GO, Arma, etc I would probably find the consoles useless.

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I guess you have to be more into single player games than multiplayer to find the consoles worth buying. In 2017 the consoles have absolutely murdered the PC for single player games.

This. 

I'm a PC gamer first and foremost. But recently, I find myself playing on my PS4 since I'm a big fan of single player games with awesome story. Heck, I even re-bought Horizon Zero Dawn with the Frozen Wilds DLC yesterday just to re-play that awesome game which offers awesome story backed with awesome graphics BUT so-so gameplay. I'm even planning on getting myself a Nintendo Switch too. Lol.

In order to not miss anything, get them all. Except for XBOX X, I guess. Since you can play the games on that thing on PC too. :)

14 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I guess you have to be more into single player games than multiplayer to find the consoles worth buying. In 2017 the consoles have absolutely murdered the PC for single player games. 

Meh, between the Switch and PC I don't really feel like I'm missing out on much. Mostly because most of the stuff that's on PS4/XBOne has some sort of equivalent on PC. I'd argue that if you have the Switch plus one of XBOne/PS4/PC you've pretty much covered everything. Because when push comes to shove Nintendo, for better or worse, make games differently to most other developers. So the Nintendo exclusive stuff is generally pretty different to what you can get elsewhere.

4 hours ago, skywake said:

Meh, between the Switch and PC I don't really feel like I'm missing out on much. Mostly because most of the stuff that's on PS4/XBOne has some sort of equivalent on PC. I'd argue that if you have the Switch plus one of XBOne/PS4/PC you've pretty much covered everything. Because when push comes to shove Nintendo, for better or worse, make games differently to most other developers. So the Nintendo exclusive stuff is generally pretty different to what you can get elsewhere.

What's the PC equivalent of Persona 5? PC equivalent of The Last of Us? There is no PC equivalent of Bloodborne. It plays way different from the Souls games. PC equivalent of Yakuza 0? The closest PC equivalent of Horizon Zero Dawn are the inferior Far Cry games. The only way to have full coverage is 3DS + Wii U + Switch + PS4 + one of XBox One or PC. If you cut PS4 out you have a huge hole in coverage of the best games of this generation. Switch + PC ain't gonna play Red Dead Redemption 2 or Kingdom Hearts 3. Or The Last of Us Part II, God of War, or Days Gone.

seriously a great question that i have been pondering as well. been watching all the advertisements up until release date and curious (also) to know what all of you think. thanks for the question op. so far, the feedback is unbiased and super interesting

On 11/12/2017 at 11:53 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

What's the PC equivalent of Persona 5? PC equivalent of The Last of Us? There is no PC equivalent of Bloodborne. It plays way different from the Souls games. PC equivalent of Yakuza 0? The closest PC equivalent of Horizon Zero Dawn are the inferior Far Cry games. The only way to have full coverage is 3DS + Wii U + Switch + PS4 + one of XBox One or PC.

You're being way too specific. Of course if you want every single game that comes out you need every single system. But having a PC and the Switch should give you decent enough coverage that you're not missing out on much. The Switch is going to get a lot of the content that would have previously come to 3DS and Wii U. In Japan as it's now the #1 selling console and it actually has some power unlike the 3DS it's likely it'll also get some of the Japan focused releases that used to be PS4 exclusive. Then on the PC side there are the multi-platforms which were already appearing on PC in addition to a lot of previous XBOne exclusives which are now available on PC.

Sure if you want to play Pokemon right now you need a 3DS. If you want to play Persona 5 or the Last of us you need a PS4. If you want to play Captain Toad or Super Mario Maker you need a Wii U. 100%. But if you own a Switch and PC you have access to 80-90% of the best selling games for this year and a similar proportion of the best rated games for this year. That's what I meant. 

On 6.12.2017 at 12:02 PM, Underi said:

I mean like seriously. 350 euros so that you can play paintball, Zelda and Mario Kart on the move? I don't see any good reason to get a switch, most of the games are playable on my PS4 or PC already.

Yes and that might take a bit until there are more exclusives for Switch on the market. 

As for consoles, you buy them because you want to play the games there are for. If you didn't find many games, it's not for you or the right time to buy.

Right now, the PS4 is the way better thing, but that might eventually change in the future.

On 6.12.2017 at 12:15 PM, Dujith said:

There is no real reason to get any console :D

There is no real reason to get a gaming PC either ;D

On 10.12.2017 at 6:17 AM, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

Why would you want to buy a PC just becoming obsolete rather quickly while costing at least twice as much as a console. Why spend that much, when you can get a good console for 250€??

Anyway: Because there are games on that plattform you want to play. Easy as that.

And there are some nice games on PS4, like Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5 and some games come on PS4 Years before they come to PC like Final Fantasy XII Remastered, Neptunia Goddess Online and many many more.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"