Is there any actual reason to get a Nintendo Switch?

Underi
7 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Man I'm waiting for Nintendo Direct. If they announce a 2018 release date for Shin Megami Tensei V I'll probably buy a Switch and Super Mario Odyssey the next day. Then I would feel a Switch would be worth purchasing for four killer games I want for 2018: Super Mario Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei V, Fire Emblem Switch, and Bayonetta 2. Or I'd love to see another game in the New Super Mario series. I love all of those.

Well, I bought mine because Xenoblade 2 drop and Mario Odyssey.  I grabbed BoTW used for a decent price, but I am actually a bit mixed on it  (I seriously don't think it is a 10 rated game, more a 8.5 or 9).

O, I can't wait for a true Fire Emblem game (though, I really wish for an Advance War title).  Though, I be super happy once Metroid Prime 4 shows up.

I know one series I probably never see revived be The Lost Kingdoms by From Software since they to busy making money on their Dark Souls series.  Played the crap out of the first one back on the Gamecube.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Well, I bought mine because Xenoblade 2 drop and Mario Odyssey.  I grabbed BoTW used for a decent price, but I am actually a bit mixed on it  (I seriously don't think it is a 10 rated game, more a 8.5 or 9).

O, I can't wait for a true Fire Emblem game (though, I really wish for an Advance War title).  Though, I be super happy once Metroid Prime 4 shows up.

I know one series I probably never see revived be The Lost Kingdoms by From Software since they to busy making money on their Dark Souls series.  Played the crap out of the first one back on the Gamecube.

Yeah BOTW is massively overrated. There is no way that's a 10/10 game. I loved the climbing and exploration and the four divine beasts were amazing but the combat bored me to death. After I was about 10 hours into the game I just stopped fighting anything unless absolutely forced to. It was the same six or seven enemies anyways, sometimes in different skins. There were also way too many shrines. They had enough interesting puzzles to where 30 or 40 shrines would have been perfect. I'd rate it maybe 8/10. Now Odyssey looks like something that could legitimately be a 10/10 from all I have seen of it, but I haven't played it since there is no Wii U version.

17 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Yeah BOTW is massively overrated. There is no way that's a 10/10 game. I loved the climbing and exploration and the four divine beasts were amazing but the combat bored me to death. After I was about 10 hours into the game I just stopped fighting anything unless absolutely forced to. It was the same six or seven enemies anyways, sometimes in different skins. There were also way too many shrines. They had enough interesting puzzles to where 30 or 40 shrines would have been perfect. I'd rate it maybe 8/10. Now Odyssey looks like something that could legitimately be a 10/10 from all I have seen of it, but I haven't played it since there is no Wii U version.

Yep, same way for me.  The puzzles within some shrines are neat, but the majority way to easy.  The divine beasts are neat concepts for sure, but the dungeons within are way to short.  Combat is a huge step back compare to the previous LoZ games.  No where near as tight combat and the enemies are a bore after a while.  Plus, the Ganons are a joke....bomb arrows and bomb their butts to death.  Talk about a set of disappointing bosses.  I do like the huge interesting map and exploration (really has that Windwaker vibe on that part), but the combat, the Ganons, and the short dungeons sour it.  I definitely put near the end of my list of the LoZ games I played.

Mario Odyssey is way better that is for sure.  The bosses are a trip and fun.  Each map area is neat too.  Along with the ability to posses enemies really changes up game mechanics.  Plus, I like the head nods to Super Mario 64 and previous Mario games within it.  I actually could not get into the latest Mario games because they just did not seem as fun as Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine (<- I like this one a lot).  Still, I put Odyssey right under Sunshine on my list which puts it as a tie with Super Mario 64.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

21 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Yep, same way for me.  The puzzles within some shrines are neat, but the majority way to easy.  The divine beasts are neat concepts for sure, but the dungeons within are way to short.  Combat is a huge step back compare to the previous LoZ games.  No where near as tight combat and the enemies are a bore after a while.  Plus, the Ganons are a joke....bomb arrows and bomb their butts to death.  Talk about a set of disappointing bosses.  I do like the huge interesting map and exploration (really has that Windwaker vibe on that part), but the combat, the Ganons, and the short dungeons sour it.  I definitely put near the end of my list of the LoZ games I played.

I'll probably get crap for saying this, but the Zelda game I'm really into is A Link Between Worlds for 3DS. Man that game is a blast and the 3D looks impressive on it.

58 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I'll probably get crap for saying this, but the Zelda game I'm really into is A Link Between Worlds for 3DS. Man that game is a blast and the 3D looks impressive on it.

I think I played that one.  My most favs of the Zelda games are the Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages.  The whole deal having to use either the ability to change seasons or time really adds some interesting puzzles.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:46 PM, noobs guid to marsterrace said:

No what

No good reason.

On 24/12/2017 at 9:42 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I don't agree and I also think that if you're looking at the game in that way you kinda miss what people like about it about. It doesn't have the best combat, best story or best puzzles. It barely has dungeons at all in the traditional sense. But what it does better than any game I've ever played is guide the player to certain objectives without them knowing. If it only had 30 or 40 shrines you would have lost 75% of the times when the game rewards you for walking behind a waterfall, bombing a suspicious wall or climbing that mountain. The game gives you just enough that you will explore on your own but not so much that it feels like it was handed to you.

And for me that's the main reason why I like that sort of game in the first place. I don't want to get to a puzzle and be stuck because there was a specific solution the designer had in mind. I also don't want to breeze through the game on a linear path. In the Assassin's Creed games you come to a new area and it highlights the objectives you can do. I always got to that point and thought "ok, and? who cares" and moved on with the story. In Breath of the Wild you get to a new area and you get out your binoculars, mark a few shrines on the map and glide towards one of them before getting distracted by 100 other things......

Odyssey is fantastic but it's nowhere near as good in that regard

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

22 hours ago, skywake said:

I don't agree and I also think that if you're looking at the game in that way you kinda miss what people like about it about. It doesn't have the best combat, best story or best puzzles. It barely has dungeons at all in the traditional sense. But what it does better than any game I've ever played is guide the player to certain objectives without them knowing. If it only had 30 or 40 shrines you would have lost 75% of the times when the game rewards you for walking behind a waterfall, bombing a suspicious wall or climbing that mountain. The game gives you just enough that you will explore on your own but not so much that it feels like it was handed to you.

And for me that's the main reason why I like that sort of game in the first place. I don't want to get to a puzzle and be stuck because there was a specific solution the designer had in mind. I also don't want to breeze through the game on a linear path. In the Assassin's Creed games you come to a new area and it highlights the objectives you can do. I always got to that point and thought "ok, and? who cares" and moved on with the story. In Breath of the Wild you get to a new area and you get out your binoculars, mark a few shrines on the map and glide towards one of them before getting distracted by 100 other things......

Odyssey is fantastic but it's nowhere near as good in that regard

I can understand that people out there enjoy that type of game play, but myself, I actually got bored with the game because it don't really make itself memorable for a Zelda game.  The exploration is nice and the dev team did a good job on that front, but because everything else is kind of bland does not help the overall game.  Sorry to say, I take HZD or one of the Witcher games over BoTW if I want a open world style game (though my own opinion there is getting to be too many games in that genre as is).

Any way, I going to be trading in my copy of BoTW and get a different game for my Switch.  Just finish Xenoblade 2, but I have no plans to go back and play BoTW.  BoTW just can't hold my interest at all.  Not saying it is a bad game, but definitely not a game to hold my interest which is rare for me on a Zelda game.  This will actually be the 2nd Zelda game I don't finish.

5 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Any way, I going to be trading in my copy of BoTW and get a different game for my Switch.  Just finish Xenoblade 2, but I have no plans to go back and play BoTW.  BoTW just can't hold my interest at all.  Not saying it is a bad game, but definitely not a game to hold my interest which is rare for me on a Zelda game.  This will actually be the 2nd Zelda game I don't finish.

I definitely thought BOTW was worth finishing. I know I sound really critical of the game and I do think it has some major flaws, but I rate it 8/10, about on par with other games I have really enjoyed the last couple of years like Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Nioh, or Demon's Souls but didn't find to be must buys. The only Zelda games I have played and not finished are Zelda II, Twilight Princess, and A Link Between Worlds. I never finished Zelda II because I was a little kid and the game is fucking hard, but I will definitely play through it this year since my brother got me an SNES Classic for Christmas and I flashed the NES Classic OS and games onto it to dual boot with the SNES Classic OS and games. Then I just started A Link Between Worlds, which is really fucking cool. I hated Twilight Princess. Maybe the huge tutorial killed that game for me. I have tried to play it at least five times (it was the first game I bought with my Wii back in 2009) and have always lost interest either in or an hour or two past the tutorial.

9 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I definitely thought BOTW was worth finishing. I know I sound really critical of the game and I do think it has some major flaws, but I rate it 8/10, about on par with other games I have really enjoyed the last couple of years like Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Nioh, or Demon's Souls but didn't find to be must buys. The only Zelda games I have played and not finished are Zelda II, Twilight Princess, and A Link Between Worlds. I never finished Zelda II because I was a little kid and the game is fucking hard, but I will definitely play through it this year since my brother got me an SNES Classic for Christmas and I flashed the NES Classic OS and games onto it to dual boot with the SNES Classic OS and games. Then I just started A Link Between Worlds, which is really fucking cool. I hated Twilight Princess. Maybe the huge tutorial killed that game for me. I have tried to play it at least five times (it was the first game I bought with my Wii back in 2009) and have always lost interest either in or an hour or two past the tutorial.

A lot of the other games you mention hold no interest for me because their previous games within their series did not hold my interest while playing.

I probably going to trade the BoTW in for either the Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle or Disgaea 5 since I am still waiting out for actual true Fire Emblem game, so either one of those two should keep my strategy itch down.

On 29/12/2017 at 8:16 AM, Ithanul said:

I can understand that people out there enjoy that type of game play, but myself, I actually got bored with the game because it don't really make itself memorable for a Zelda game.  The exploration is nice and the dev team did a good job on that front, but because everything else is kind of bland does not help the overall game.

If the game is entirely built on exciting moments they lose their punch, there needs to be some cool down. In BOTW the fact that there are moments where you are just moving from point A to point B is precisely what makes discoveries so rewarding. I just think that some people are being critical of the game as some kind of automatic response to it getting good scores. I'm always super critical of people who call games overrated, especially games that get 10s.

Do I think BotW is without flaws? Well no. But I'd still give it a 10 because a 10 does not mean "without flaws". A 10/10 is more of an unqualified and universal recommendation. I imagine it like this, say someone you don't know picks up 20 random games in a shop and asks you which they should buy. A 10/10 game would be a game that if it was in that 20 you'd personally put in the shortlist without any questions and without looking at what other games they picked up.

9 hours ago, skywake said:

Do I think BotW is without flaws? Well no. But I'd still give it a 10 because a 10 does not mean "without flaws". A 10/10 is more of an unqualified and universal recommendation. I imagine it like this, say someone you don't know picks up 20 random games in a shop and asks you which they should buy. A 10/10 game would be a game that if it was in that 20 you'd personally put in the shortlist without any questions and without looking at what other games they picked up.

Sounds like we have different grading scales. I only rate something a 10/10 if it's on a very short list of the greatest games I have ever played. I think I have played eight games since the early 1980s that I'd rate 10/10. I guess IGN kind of throws everything off where 7/10 is an insulting score and anything with a pulse can get 8/10. But to me 8/10 signifies a game I really enjoyed a lot, which is where I'd put BOTW. 9/10 is something I go completely nuts over. But even as much as I have loved Persona 5 (enough so that I bought a 3DS for the Shin Megami Tensei games and a Playstation TV for Persona 4 Golden) I wouldn't call it a 10/10. More like a 9.5/10. I think I'd put my grading scale as

0/10: unplayable

1/10: a buggy mess but at least it doesn't crash

2/10: shovelware (think of the crap Jim Sterling has been reviewing lately)

3/10: terrible

4/10: a slog to get through

5/10: mediocre

6/10: good levels mixed in with mediocre ones

7/10: good, worth finishing

8/10: very good game

9/10: must buy

9.5/10: worth a replay

10/10: perfect

So for instance some examples of how I'd rate games:

3/10: Watch Dogs

4/10: GTA IV, Zelda Twilight Princess

5/10: Assassins Creed, Uncharted 1

6/10: Crysis 3

7/10: Nioh, Far Cry 4, Gears of War, Castlevania 1, Fallout 1

8/10: Zelda BOTW, Fallout 4, Demon's Souls, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, Crysis, Mega Man 2

9/10: Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us, Bioshock, The Witcher 3, Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, Castlevania SoTN, NieR Gestalt

9.5/10: Persona 5, Dark Souls, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Bioshock Infinite, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario Bros 3, Dying Light, Portal, Ms Pac Man, Half Life 2, GTA V, Final Fantasy VI, Street Fighter 2, Red Dead Redemption, Ninja Gaiden (NES)

10/10: Bloodborne, NieR Automata, Zelda A Link to the Past, Super Mario Bros, Skyrim, Shinobi, Half Life 1, Fallout 2

@SteveGrabowski0

It's literally opinions so there's not much reason debating it. But usually when reviewers give a game a 10 they're doing something similar to what I was describing. It's a shorthand for an approximate rank against other games currently in the mind of the person giving the score. Though with that said I would personally probably give just about everything I've played that you listed above an 8 either a 9.5 or a 10.

BTW, there is a site that I use for cataloguing music. It makes a point of trying to push you to give a personal rating to music you listen to so you can keep track of what albums you liked and what albums you didn't like. On that website I've given albums an average rating of about 7/10. Looking at a random sample of about 8 other users? Pretty much everyone has their average at about 7/10. Generally the people who are giving out less 10s aren't doing much other than giving out more 8s an 9s.

I guess what I'm saying is it's very easy to pick one game or another and say that the score is wrong or that people are using the wrong scale. I can pretty much guarantee you though if you went and gave out scores for 100+ games you'd end up doing the same. Inevitably your average score would be about a 7. Inevitably you'd start giving out 10s to games purely because they deserve higher rating than the game that got a higher rating than that other game that got an 8.

19 hours ago, skywake said:

If the game is entirely built on exciting moments they lose their punch, there needs to be some cool down. In BOTW the fact that there are moments where you are just moving from point A to point B is precisely what makes discoveries so rewarding. I just think that some people are being critical of the game as some kind of automatic response to it getting good scores. I'm always super critical of people who call games overrated, especially games that get 10s.

I actually am not against reviewers giving the game a 10/10 since it is their opinion to give that rating and I can see why they gave that rating.  But, myself, compare to previous games I have played along with previous Zelda games, I am just not into BoTW.  I did enjoy the exploration and the large map, but the lack luster puzzles and the fact the bosses are a bore where turn offs for myself.   BoTW was a not a bad refresh take on the Zelda games, but the dev team could done better on other parts of the game.

Myself, I don't see the game as a top fav for myself.  There are very few games I myself would consider in my list of top favs.  Actually, I tend to be the most nit picky on my top favs.   I actually shift my top list around if a new game manages to out do a previous one.  Same way I do my music and movies, my taste change over time and I get to experience new things, so no point in holding my top fav lists in stone.

And, I will agree that all exciting moments can burn out a game, main reason I still to this day enjoy Windwaker.  Can sail all day and explore, and the main quests with bosses and dungeons are a blast.  I know the game gets crap for its art style, but the darn thing is just charming to boot and by my opinion the closest I seen a 3D Zelda get to the puzzles and dungeon design of a 2D Zelda.

• 3 weeks later...

The whole reason for the switch is for the ability to play these exclusive games, and games you may already love on the go. so if you are ever traveling, or have a bit of downtime you can always be able to play your games, and not have to be at home to do it.