Xbox One X vs. PS4 Pro vs. $500 PC

I mean, for those who were already doing it, it was already a viable option :P

And for those who weren't interested, I don't think this changes anything, even though it's got a bit more power now

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah but again , the pc DOES EVERYTHING.

it runs/emulates pretty much any game and os from the last 40 years and any software. and almost any hardware can be adapted to work on the pc. it's like , not even a contest.

I will stick to my keyboard and mouse thank you very much.

?????

Do you remember the
21st night of September?
Love was changing the minds of pretenders
While chasing the clouds away

Our hearts were ringing
In the key that our souls were singing.
As we danced in the night,
Remember how the stars stole the night away

Luke hosted video?!

LTT video in 60fps?!

But no Linus dressing up as a bear for the Tunnelbear spot.. Dislike!

/s

At the moment, buying a new PC for a low budget, is just not interesting I think. Most people will just not care about most of the stuff it can do and the lower performance.

The Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are nice, but for a different audience than a PC.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

13 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yeah but again , the pc DOES EVERYTHING.

it runs/emulates pretty much any game and os from the last 40 years and any software. and almost any hardware can be adapted to work on the pc. it's like , not even a contest.

Eh, not really.  The PC doesn't do 'everything'.  I'm an anime fan so there's Japanese games I'm interested in and only a minority see PC ports at all (However the number HAS been increasing and I really hope for better in the future), so this week I picked up a PS4 Pro basically as my 'Weeb Machine' to play Japanese games that devs are unlikely to port to another platform.  The first game I got my PS4 Pro for being Persona 5.  (Yes I know you can emulate the PS3 port of Persona 5 but it has lower quality 2D assets than the PS4 port and the PS3 emulator is inconsistent in it's current state.)

So, no, the PC doesn't 'do everything' and so I got a PS4 to supplement my HTPC/Steam Machine.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Eh, not really.  The PC doesn't do 'everything'.  I'm an anime fan so there's Japanese games I'm interested in and only a minority see PC ports at all (However the number HAS been increasing and I really hope for better in the future), so this week I picked up a PS4 Pro basically as my 'Weeb Machine' to play Japanese games that devs are unlikely to port to another platform.  The first game I got my PS4 Pro for being Persona 5.  (Yes I know you can emulate the PS3 port of Persona 5 but it has lower quality 2D assets than the PS4 port and the PS3 emulator is inconsistent in it's current state.)

So, no, the PC doesn't 'do everything' and so I got a PS4 to supplement my HTPC/Steam Machine.

i use my pc as my weeb machine visual novels 4 days. 

25 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Buy Xbox One X on Amazon: http://geni.us/t1ye

Is console gaming FINALLY a viable option with the new One X? Xbox thinks so...

you're comparing a 400$ console to a 500$ console, so why not a 600$ PC? kind of makes no sense.

Just now, asus killer said:

you're comparing a 400$ console to a 500$ console, so why not a 600$ PC? kind of makes no sense.

For budget builders

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

9 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

For budget builders

i don't think you can make a balanced PC with a rx 480/580 for 500$. At least aim for that, made much more sense. i3 1200 and a rx580 for example. Why only 500$, is that some kind of psychological limit? A PC also does a lot more, can be used for school for example.

it's just that the comparison made no sense, i don't know if as just me that felt it. Kind of comparing a smartphone with a stupid phone on price and pretending they do the same.

13 minutes ago, asus killer said:

We can't control the fact that the price of Sony's highest offering is $100 less than Microsoft's. We can control how much is spent on the PC.

The typical argument against consoles is "I can build a PC that performs better for as much as a console." So we built a PC that costs as much as the console and compared.

20 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Why only 500$, is that some kind of psychological limit?

It's uhh... Pretty obviously to build a PC within the same price point as the Xbox One X's U.S. MSRP and thus fit within similar budgetary considerations of potential consumers.

Just now, nicklmg said:

We can't control the fact that the price of Sony's highest offering is $100 less than Microsoft's. We can control how much is spent on the PC.

The typical argument against consoles is "I can build a PC that performs better for as much as a console." So we built a PC that costs as much as the console and compared.

Nick do you approve of my DABRelated image also I would like to say i 

?????

Do you remember the
21st night of September?
Love was changing the minds of pretenders
While chasing the clouds away

Our hearts were ringing
In the key that our souls were singing.
As we danced in the night,
Remember how the stars stole the night away

43 minutes ago, Minibois said:

LTT video in 60fps?!

To me the Luke shots look like 30 FPS, while the screen recording is immediately recognizable as 60 FPS

3 minutes ago, hui said:

To me the Luke shots look like 30 FPS, while the screen recording is immediately recognizable as 60 FPS

Yep - it was all rendered out in 60 (we knew we had to to properly represent the game footage, it would've been awful in 30) but Luke was shot in 30.

This video being in 60 is a one-off due to the gameplay footage.

How did you only manage to get an overpriced dual core and a 1050 Ti into the PC? Why not a G4560 with an RX570/580 or a Ryzen 1200 with something? Only using Amazon and Newegg? That's a bit misleading, imo. 

Edit: here's an example build with a G4560 and a 1060 3GB, for $502 before rebate. With rebates you could probably stuff an RX 580 into it, by changing some parts. 

Windows can be run unactivated, or you can get a key from Reddit or Kinguin for $25. A bit grey.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($77.77 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: *Gigabyte - GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($92.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: *Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($41.89 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($189.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Rosewill - SCM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($19.49 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($21.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $473.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-26 15:43 EST-0500

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

34 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

So we built a PC that costs as much as the console and compared.

yeah but you used new parts and not "scrapyard wars" style parts.

the point of building a "better pc" is to call on your knowledge of every possible way to make a faster machine than what a console can offer. that means fast as hell used last gen parts , reusing old windows installations and disks , ect... hell even starting with a prebuilt dell/hp box brings the cost SO far down. they can even just get some parts for a machine they already own.

you can argue that the pc won't be as upgradable if you use high end last gen parts but  .... the console isn't upgradable either. 

come on man you REALLY CAN make a fast as hell 500$ machine. it rare someone in the us/canada/uk wouldn't be able to have access to SOMETHING used.

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

the point of building a "better pc" is to call on your knowledge of every possible way to make a faster machine than what a console can offer. that means fast as hell used last gen parts , reusing old windows installations and disks , ect... hell even starting with a prebuilt dell/hp box brings the cost SO far down. they can even just get some parts for a machine they already own.

you can argue that the pc won't be as upgradable if you use high end last gen parts but  .... the console isn't upgradable either. 

come on man you REALLY CAN make a fast as hell 500$ machine. it rare someone in the us/canada/uk wouldn't be able to have access to SOMETHING used.

This is why we don't include used hardware in any "$ value comparison" piece that we create.

You can argue with the methodology, but for us the only reasonable approach is making a comparison that any end user could also pull off in their own situation.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

By that same logic, one could use their scrounging and bartering skills to buy a used console for less money than a new one as well.  You dig far and deep enough and you can find someone who really, really, REALLY needs to sell an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro right away and you can haggle them down.

The other day as I was buying my PS4 Pro at EB, in front of me om line was a guy who, I'm not even kidding this, traded in a 'fat' Xbox One, plus a sealed copy of Assassins Creed Origins as well as $20 CAD for, wait for it, an Xbox One S.  No, not a typo, an S.  And that guy left happy with his transaction..  When he left he commented that he might buy an X model next year once he got a 4K TV in a year, so it seems SUPER unlikely that he did the trade in to gain UHD Blu-Ray playback.  

13 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

You can argue with the methodology, but for us the only reasonable approach is making a comparison that any end user could also pull off in their own situation.

well I do argue with the methodology a little bit. not to be troll or anything.... I just feel it changes what the meaning of "i can build a pc faster than that for the same price" truly means.

when people say this , they are saying that "provided you have the knowledge" you can do so. Yes i get it. most people don't.

this happens with car guys typically as well. everyone knows that with 10,000$ you can easily build a junkyard 50's gasser that will put most cars double and triple it's price to shame. the reason for this is becuase of a car guys knowledge in what can be done both in building , tuning , and getting deals on parts. 

I see this as an opportunity to do a "full knowledge" 500$ build that can beat a console. I understand scrapyard wars is the series to see this type of method done , however , it's not put into the context of beating a console so that could make for an interesting video. to see what happens when you have the knowledge and experience to beat the console with this budget.

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

By that same logic, one could use their scrounging and bartering skills to buy a used console for less money than a new one as well.  You dig far and deep enough and you can find someone who really, really, REALLY needs to sell an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro right away and you can haggle them down.

I agree , if you can then you can.

typically it's hard to find a recent console for cheap vs high end last gen pc parts for cheap. But if you can then you used your knowledge and skills to get around the system so , yes you'd definitely do well.

20 minutes ago, HimymCZe said:

EVERY OTHER youtube comment is link to G4560/Ryzen 3 build with GTX1060 or better... LUKE at his "finest" once again...

Enjoy that CPU based stuttering.

I mean if you like average FPS I assume that's the route to go, but you aren't going to have a good experience with that weak of a CPU.

Hi